IGNORED

Sonore opticalRendu

I have a switch with existing sfp outputs that are compatible with the opticalrendu. Is it recommended to use the switch’s sfp ports or to preference using the optics’s module with linear psu for the Ethernet to optical conversion instead? i have a concern around adding in the extra box unnecessarily. this is an audio quality not cost question.

thanks

switch is the net gear xs708t

2 hours ago, Kingkoopa said:

I have a switch with existing sfp outputs that are compatible with the opticalrendu. Is it recommended to use the switch’s sfp ports or to preference using the optics’s module with linear psu for the Ethernet to optical conversion instead? i have a concern around adding in the extra box unnecessarily. this is an audio quality not cost question.

thanks

switch is the net gear xs708t

In theory, nothing upstream of the fiber cable should influence the SQ of the opticalRendu wrt network noise. As long as you have a good power supply for your opticalRendu there should be no issue using the optical output on your switch.

Main System: [Synology DS216, Rpi-4b LMS (pCP)], Holo Audio Red, Ayre QX-5 Twenty, Ayre KX-5 Twenty, Ayre VX-5 Twenty, Revel Ultima Studio2, Iconoclast speaker cables & interconnects, RealTraps acoustic treatments

Living Room: Sonore ultraRendu, Ayre QB-9DSD, Simaudio MOON 340iX, B&W 802 Diamond

3 hours ago, Axiom05 said:

In theory, nothing upstream of the fiber cable should influence the SQ of the opticalRendu wrt network noise. As long as you have a good power supply for your opticalRendu there should be no issue using the optical output on your switch.

Not true even in theory imo. That said, it's correct to get the best power supply for the streamer you can. I recently acquired the new Sonore UltraSupply and it made a huge difference. I also go oM to Om before it and that was a huge leap as well, though i don't think the power supplies have as big of an affect on those as the streamer when used in combination. 

John's 'fingerprint' explanation is a very good one and what I've thought all along. Garbage in - garbage out (or slightly less garbage out). 

SERVER CLOSET (in office directly below living room stereo):NUC 7i5BNH with Roon ROCK (ZeroZone 12V on the NUC)>Cisco 2690L-16PS switch>Sonore opticalModule (Uptone LPS 1.2)>

LIVING ROOM: Sonore opticalRendu Roon version (Sonore Power Supply)> Shunyata Venom USB>Naim DAC V1>Witchhat DIN>Naim NAP 160 Bolt Down>Chord Rumor 2>Audio Physic Compact Classics. OFFICE: opticalModule> Sonore microRendu 1.4> Matrix Mini-i Pro 3> Naim NAP 110>NACA5>KEF Ls50's. BJC 6a and Ghent Catsnake 6a JSSG ethernet; AC cables: Shunyata Venom NR V-10; Audience Forte F3; Ice Age copper/copper; Sean Jacobs CHC PowerBlack, Moon Audio DIN>RCA, USB A>C. Isolation: Herbie's Audio Lab. 

15 hours ago, JohnSwenson said:

Please read post #658

https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/55217-sonore-opticalrendu/?do=findComment&comment=963599

This goes into some detail on what is happening here.

For your specific question, an opticalModule plugged into an RJ-45 jack of the switch is probably going to produce lower phase noise coming out its SFP port than the SFP port of the switch. The result is that using the opticalModule to the opticalRendu is probably going to sound significantly better then the SFP port of the switch going into the opticalRendu.

John S.

Thanks John that is very helpful

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/15/2019 at 3:18 PM, JohnSwenson said:

Please read post #658

https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/55217-sonore-opticalrendu/?do=findComment&comment=963599

This goes into some detail on what is happening here.

For your specific question, an opticalModule plugged into an RJ-45 jack of the switch is probably going to produce lower phase noise coming out its SFP port than the SFP port of the switch. The result is that using the opticalModule to the opticalRendu is probably going to sound significantly better then the SFP port of the switch going into the opticalRendu.

John S.

Just to confirm, you are recommending a chain of Ethernet -> opticalModule -> opticalRendu?

Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7s, 4 M&K ST-150Ts, 1 VCC-5; Amplification: 2 Vandersteen M7-HPAs, CI Audio D200 MKII, Ayre V-6xe; Preamp: Doshi Audio Line Stage v3.0; Phono Pre: Doshi Audio Phono Pre; Analog: Wave Kinetics NVS with Durand Telos composite arm; SME 3012R arm, Clearaudio Goldfinger Statement v2; Reel to Reel:  Technics RS-1500; Doshi Tape Pre-Amp; Studer A810, Studer A812, Tascam BR-20; Multi-channel: Bryston SP-3; Digital: Custom PC (Sean Jacobs DC4/Euphony/Stylus)> Lampizator Pacific

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I`ve just listened to few albums with my new opticalRendu (with OM) and I`m impressed. Great addition to my Chord M Scaler + TT2 system. Interesting thing that it sounded really harsh at first launch. I left it playing at low volume for 2-3 hours, than returned to it and sound became much much better.

All in all - big improvement over my previous streamer (Allo USBridge). I`m constantly getting wow-moments here and there. Better separation, better sense of space, better rhythm, better vocal clarity and absolutely great low-end. I loved my controlled and punchy bass, but addition of opticalRendu made it almost unbelievably good.

I`m only worrying about two things now:

1. My opticalRendu runs hot with my 9V PSU. I`ve measured temperature on it`s case - 49 degrees Celsius. It does not get any hotter with time. I assume +49C is ok for it, but at which point should I start to worry?

2. Is there any sense in LPSU for optical module? Right now I`m using an iPad charger, which is a good SPSU. Optical connection will not pass any electrical noise, but how about the module itself? Will it benefit from LPSU, or there is nothing to worry about?

1. (VDC should be OK for the oR, but watch the heat and ambient room temperature.  The Sonore Power Supply is ideal for it and has 7 VDC output.

2.  Yes, the oM will benefit from a really good linear power supply.  The reason for this is that the onboard clock (a Femto level part) will perform its best with perfectly clean DC.  But no need to "worry", enjoy the music for awhile, and upgrade that power supply at your leisure!

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

34 minutes ago, barrows said:

watch the heat and ambient room temperature

Thank you, will keep an eye on it.

By the way, does it have a "sleep mode" of some kind? I`ve stopped the music for an hour or so. M Scaler shows that USB input is not receiving anything, but OR it is still consuming 0,8A (according to my PSU indicator) and temperature is almost the same (only 2-3C less).

Is it ok to leave opticalRendu on 24/7?

1 minute ago, Tihon said:

Is it ok to leave opticalRendu on 24/7?

Yes, it is OK and recommended to leave it powered up all the time.  If you are concerned about the heat, I would recommend a 7 VDC supply.  It will also more easily dissipate heat if it is blocked up a bit to allow airflow under the case.

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

6 hours ago, TubeLover said:

For SFP's to be utilized with System Optique, should they be single mode or multi mode?

JC

See first post in this thread or the Sonore web site.

Main System: [Synology DS216, Rpi-4b LMS (pCP)], Holo Audio Red, Ayre QX-5 Twenty, Ayre KX-5 Twenty, Ayre VX-5 Twenty, Revel Ultima Studio2, Iconoclast speaker cables & interconnects, RealTraps acoustic treatments

Living Room: Sonore ultraRendu, Ayre QB-9DSD, Simaudio MOON 340iX, B&W 802 Diamond

Something isn’t right in my 2 channel system. I’ve moved into a new listening room but both my headphone and speaker system are likewise off from where they should be.   The only component change I’ve made is moving from the UltraRendu to OpticalRendu and Opticamodule. My Ultra Spec Cables’ OM1 Fiber Optic SFP cable appears to be much smaller /finer than what I’ve seen in photos of other Optical SFP cables.  To troubleshoot  I need to cross  potential issues off my list such as optical cable problem. So just to hear a alternative cabling I plan to run Ethernet to OpticalRendu. Will be using a high-quality Transparent Audio ethernet cable.  I’ve ordered a SFP to RJ45 to copper module to adapt ethernet to the OR. So my second thought is to also put a Ethernet module in my Optical Module if the OM would still provide a noise buffer between my router and the OR. I I  heresy installing a copper module on the OM or would it still provide some noise isolation?

TP-LInk 1200 WiFi router>Transparent Audio ethernet cable>Innuos PhoenixNet Switch>Muon Pro ethernet cable>Muon Pro>Grimm Mu2>AudioQuest Dragon XLR>NAD M23> Falcon 2024 Limited Edition LS35a & REL T7Xi sub. Synergistic Research Atmosphere Excite SX powers cords>Puritan Audio 156 pwr conditioner W/Ground Master City.

57 minutes ago, Vangelis said:

Something isn’t right in my 2 channel system. I’ve moved into a new listening room but both my headphone and speaker system are likewise off from where they should be.   The only component change I’ve made is moving from the UltraRendu to OpticalRendu and Opticamodule. My Ultra Spec Cables’ OM1 Fiber Optic SFP cable appears to be much smaller /finer than what I’ve seen in photos of other Optical SFP cables.  To troubleshoot  I need to cross  potential issues off my list such as optical cable problem. So just to hear a alternative cabling I plan to run Ethernet to OpticalRendu. Will be using a high-quality Transparent Audio ethernet cable.  I’ve ordered a SFP to RJ45 to copper module to adapt ethernet to the OR. So my second thought is to also put a Ethernet module in my Optical Module if the OM would still provide a noise buffer between my router and the OR. I I  heresy installing a copper module on the OM or would it still provide some noise isolation?

Optical sounds better than copper Ethernet in every way, so that is decidedly not your problem (and produces better measurements).  If you are in a new room, you need to get to know that room and set up your system for its best performance in that room, start there before looking at any of your components.

Sometimes higher resolution playback gear, just dropped into an existing system context, will not sound "right" until the system is re-tuned to accommodate the higher resolution, so that could be possible as well.  What this is about is that higher resolution playback will resolve fast transients more precisely: in some systems this might sound "bright" as the transient edges are more sharply (accurately) defined.  If this sounds bright to you, it is revealing that your system is bright, and needs to be addressed elsewhere (it did not sound bright before because the lesser resolution gear was rounding the transient edges-less accurate).

These kind of results are not uncommon when increasing the resolution of a given system which is tuned for a pleasing tonal balance the way it was prior; often the system needs to be adjusted, re-tuned, or components now be revealed as a problem might need to be changed. 

SONORE computer audio

1 hour ago, Mercman said:

Will the opticalRendu work well with the Sonore Signature Linear Power Supply?

I would expect them to work perfectly, being from the same manufacturer. I am just waiting to receive and start using mine. :)

1. WiiM Pro - Mola Mola Makua - Apollon NCx500+SS2590 - March Audio Sointuva AWG

2. LG 77C1 - Marantz SR7005 - Apollon NC502MP+NC252MP - Monitor Audio PL100+PLC150+C265 - SVS SB-3000

3. PC - RME ADI-2 DAC FS - Neumann KH 80 DSP

4. Phone - Tanchjim Space - Truthear Zero Red

5. PC - Keysion ES2981 - Truthear Zero Red

1 hour ago, Matias said:

I would expect them to work perfectly, being from the same manufacturer. I am just waiting to receive and start using mine. :)

You are probably right. I just wanted to see if the Signature Power Supply has enough current. It was originally designed to power the microRendu.

Steve Plaskin

Yes, the Signature Power Supply (discontinued) and the recently released Sonore Power Supply are both superb at powering the opticalRendu. 

SONORE computer audio