IGNORED

Sonore opticalRendu

4 hours ago, daverich4 said:

Do you have any idea when the opticalRendu will be in stock again? I’ve been so happy with my first one I decided to purchase a second one but when I stopped by your web site I discovered they’re out of stock. 

What output mode are you primarily interested in?

On 8/6/2019 at 5:20 PM, vortecjr said:

Enjoy!

And the Sonore PS sounds even better.

Main: sonicTransporter I5>etherRegen>opticalRendu/ghent/UltraCap 1.2> WireWorld Platinum>YGGY Atma-sphere MP-1 3.1> Hegel 30> Maggie 1.7, REL SE 212: Zero Autoformers, Interconnects , Analysis Plus Silver Oval-In, Nordost Heimdall, Power Cables: Synergistic./Shunyata>Chang Litespeed 

HT:Dish>OPPO>Marantz>Hegel> 3-Maggies/2-Quads>REL Gibraltar>Custom Wire loom>APS>Samsung Plasma 55"

I have just upgraded from LPS1/mRendu to oRendu/oModule combo with SGC power supplies and I very much like what I hear so far. 

Two quick questions:

*** shall I break them in?

*** if I listen to my system a couple times a week on average, shall I leave them on all the time, as I did with mRendu?

Thanks.

M

I would leave them on all of the time, I do with my stuff.  Just unplug everything if you go away for a few days (or longer), and during sever lightning storms.

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, i have a question regarding the OR and etherREGEN.  I am using the opticalrendu + optical module, and the OM is plugged into an eero unit.  Would I still need to get an Uptone etherREGEN?   If so, how would the OR and OM be plugged into the etherREGEN? As I understand it, the OM would have to be dropped from the system.  And on which side of the etherREGEN would  the eero be plugged into?  Thanks.

41 minutes ago, Musikfan said:

Hi, i have a question regarding the OR and etherREGEN.  I am using the opticalrendu + optical module, and the OM is plugged into an eero unit.  Would I still need to get an Uptone etherREGEN?   If so, how would the OR and OM be plugged into the etherREGEN? As I understand it, the OM would have to be dropped from the system.  And on which side of the etherREGEN would  the eero be plugged into?  Thanks.

I'm not familiar with the eero's but if its an AP (wifi access point) then I'm assuming you are running Ethernet from the eero to your audio rack? so Ethernet > OM > OR?  IF this is the case you could:

1.  Use the ER before the OM + OR e.g.eero Ethernet > A side ER > B side ER  Ethernet > OM > OR

2. eero Ethernet > B side of the ER > fiber out of A side of ER > OR (eliminating the OM)

Whether an ER would make a difference if the above assumptions are correct would be up to you to decide.

My rig

58 minutes ago, Musikfan said:

I haven’t received mine yet, but my understanding is that the ER will have to be used “backwards”, with the router feeding the B side and the optical out on the A side connected to the opticalRendu (replacing the opticalModule). The B side won’t communicate with the opticalModule since it’s 100 Mbps, not the 1,000 Mbps required by the opticalModule. 

SonicTransporter i9 > EtherRegen (optical out) > LUMIN P1 > LUMIN Amp > YG Kipod Signature Passive speakers.

Hi, thank you for the responses.  Much appreciated.  I wonder if there are any OR and OM users that may weigh in on whether they see any perceived benefits to adding an etherREGEN to their systems.  I'm not sure I understand what added benefit the etherREGEN brings if one is already using an OR and OM.  I'm also using a sonic transporter plus Chord Dave+Mscaler.  Again, thanks.

2 hours ago, Musikfan said:

Hi, thank you for the responses.  Much appreciated.  I wonder if there are any OR and OM users that may weigh in on whether they see any perceived benefits to adding an etherREGEN to their systems.  I'm not sure I understand what added benefit the etherREGEN brings if one is already using an OR and OM.  I'm also using a sonic transporter plus Chord Dave+Mscaler.  Again, thanks.

Full disclosure...I wasn’t given one to try:) One disadvantages of the ER is the cost. The opticalModule is a simple fiber media converter with very high quality oscillator and a very nice power regulation circuit. The opticalModule also provides 100% galvanic isolation via fiber optic cable. Another benefit for those that don’t have one and want to try it is that the opticalModule is In stock and ships right away.

BTW SGC has started selling the sonicTransporter with optical output so you can now bypass all switches and feed your opticalRendu directly from your server. This means less clutter. This OEM output board is based on the opticalModule. You might want to contact SGC to see if an upgrade to your server is possible. 

3 hours ago, Musikfan said:

I wonder if there are any OR and OM users that may weigh in on whether they see any perceived benefits to adding an etherREGEN to their systems.

There are several users who own all three of these fine Swenson-engineered devices and have reported their experiences over in the EtherREGEN Listening Impressions thread. I think one of them even has the Chord MScaler as you do. 

On 11/16/2019 at 5:53 PM, Musikfan said:

I have a optical RenduSE that I was using with optical module and happy with sq. I bought the etherREGEN with the understanding that it would add additional benefits over the om. However, as mentioned here, you can’t use the om with the etherREGEN. After hours of trying to troubleshoot, this incompatibility was finally brought to my attention. So I removed om and ran the optical rendu to the sfp cage on the A side of the etherREGEN and now it works, I haven’t listened that long but so far I do hear a difference but not sure if better or different than just using the om setup i originally had. There is supposedly break in time so I will wait a while til making final judgement. There is a lot of conflicting information on these forums including telling us not to use the other A inputs if using the etherREGEN in this configuration to its ok to use the other A inputs. Seems kind of a waste of money to buy the etherREGEN instead of the om if you shouldnt use the other A ports. 

20 minutes ago, lxgreen said:

I have a optical RenduSE that I was using with optical module and happy with sq. I bought the etherREGEN with the understanding that it would add additional benefits over the om. However, as mentioned here, you can’t use the om with the etherREGEN. After hours of trying to troubleshoot, this incompatibility was finally brought to my attention. So I removed om and ran the optical rendu to the sfp cage on the A side of the etherREGEN and now it works, I haven’t listened that long but so far I do hear a difference but not sure if better or different than just using the om setup i originally had. There is supposedly break in time so I will wait a while til making final judgement. There is a lot of conflicting information on these forums including telling us not to use the other A inputs if using the etherREGEN in this configuration to its ok to use the other A inputs. Seems kind of a waste of money to buy the etherREGEN instead of the om if you shouldnt use the other A ports. 

here's a link to alex's quote on this issue.  i think his explanation will help clear up things:

(1) holo audio red (hqp naa) > chord dave > luxman cl-38uc/mq-88uc > kef reference 1
(2) simaudio moon mind 2 > chord qutest > luxman sq-n150 > monitor audio gold gx100
On 11/16/2019 at 8:53 PM, Musikfan said:

For months, I went back and forth as to which route to go. Originally, I had a mRendu (Ethernet connection) but my music server has fiber optic output (Intel X520-DA1 NIC) so I chose to go with a OM (replaced a TP-Link FMC) since the etherREGEN was months away from production. The SQ improvement with the OM was very noticeable.

Once the OR was available, I ended up adding it. Since the OR has basically a OM built-in, I felt comfortable that I would retain the SQ goodness that the OM had brought. So I could sell my OM, which I have done, which could go toward payment of the OR.

Once I had the OR, it seemed silly to add an etherREGEN which only has one fiber optic port.

If the etherREGEN had come out much sooner, I may have gone another route. However, it didn't and I have absolutely no regrets with the route I took.

FYI - I am currently using the Mikrotik CRS305-1G-4S+IN switch (10GB switch for $135 on Amazon) connected to my server and OR as well as a few other devices (e.g. Internet access).

4 hours ago, lxgreen said:

So I removed om and ran the optical rendu to the sfp cage on the A side of the etherREGEN and now it works

So the output in the above is the Ethernet B port of the ER, how do you then connect optical to your OR SE?  Do you have a FMC after the ER?

My rig

14 minutes ago, Foggie said:

So the output in the above is the Ethernet B port of the ER, how do you then connect optical to your OR SE?  Do you have a FMC after the ER?

I think he was originally trying to go:

Switch > etherRegen > oM > OR SE (on etherRegen, input on A side, output on B side) - problem is that B side is only 100Mbps and oM is 1000Mbps so they wouldn't connect.

After removing the oM:

Switch > etherRegen > OR SE (on etherRegen, input on B side, output on A side w/ fiber optic port) - that leaves all of the open (unused) ports on side A.

Just now, ericuco said:

I think he was originally trying to go:

Switch > etherRegen > oM > OR SE (on etherRegen, input on A side, output on B side) - problem is that B side is only 100Mbps and oM is 1000Mbps so they wouldn't connect.

After removing the oM:

Switch > etherRegen > OR SE (on etherRegen, input on B side, output on A side w/ fiber optic port) - that leaves all of the open (unused) ports on side A.

Yeah that makes sense, for some reason I was thinking he was running fiber to rack.  Ooy

My rig

I’ve seen earlier posts about using a SFP to RJ45 Copper module in the opticalRendu, including a recommendation for using this one.  All of the discussions about such usage I’ve seen only referenced 1000BASE-T only modules.  Has anyone tried a 10/100/1000BASE-T SFP RJ45 Copper Module such as this one in the opticalRendu so that it could be used with the Uptone EtherRegen “100MB only” B-Port? Or, is it already understood that the oR will work solely with 1000BASE-T only Copper modules?