IGNORED

Sonore opticalRendu

What I've absolutely learned is that the PS and the lowest impedance DC cable is essential to the best sound.

I'm currently powering the OR with the SGC 7V PS and it's about the same SQ or lesser SQ...though I can't be exactly sure, I'd have to go back to the old set-up and I'm not motivated to do that right now...as the UR with the LPS-1.2 and a ghent cable.

This power supply mismatch is a pretty good cock-up. That said, I know everyone involved did the best they could and are pushing the envelope...so stuff happens.

Main: sonicTransporter I5>etherRegen>opticalRendu/ghent/UltraCap 1.2> WireWorld Platinum>YGGY Atma-sphere MP-1 3.1> Hegel 30> Maggie 1.7, REL SE 212: Zero Autoformers, Interconnects , Analysis Plus Silver Oval-In, Nordost Heimdall, Power Cables: Synergistic./Shunyata>Chang Litespeed 

HT:Dish>OPPO>Marantz>Hegel> 3-Maggies/2-Quads>REL Gibraltar>Custom Wire loom>APS>Samsung Plasma 55"

The Chernobyl disaster was a pretty good cock-up:) The LPS-1 series is compatible with the microRendu, ultraRendu, ultraDigtial, and the opticalModule. It doesn't have enough current to run the opticalRendu and a USB DAC. Yep stuff happens, but we are not going to compromise the design over compatibility with any one power supply. We don't approve of the v-bus injection scheme. The v-bus injection scheme bypasses the much improved vbus circuit of the opticalRendu and needs a separate power supply.   

I wish I'd read this post before ordering an OR for delivery to Australia, as I'm using my MR with an LPS-1, I would have bundled an SCG 7 in with it, with postage being $65 USD I guess I'll have to see how it performs, I wonder if it runs as hot on UPnP duties rather than USC into a DAC.

6 hours ago, John Burrow said:

I wish I'd read this post before ordering an OR for delivery to Australia, as I'm using my MR with an LPS-1, I would have bundled an SCG 7 in with it, with postage being $65 USD I guess I'll have to see how it performs, I wonder if it runs as hot on UPnP duties rather than USC into a DAC.

There are tons of decent Chinese made linear power supplies on ebay. I would think the shipping cost would be less than shipping from US.

Just search ebay for "hifi linear power supply". Most do not have a 7V setting as standard but they do have 5V and 9V. You could possibly ask them to set it to 7V given you usually need to message them to specify the voltage. From my understanding, they are all the same units with an adjustment knob that they set before shipping.

2 hours ago, ericuco said:

There are tons of decent Chinese made linear power supplies on ebay. I would think the shipping cost would be less than shipping from US.

Just search ebay for "hifi linear power supply". Most do not have a 7V setting as standard but they do have 5V and 9V. You could possibly ask them to set it to 7V given you usually need to message them to specify the voltage. From my understanding, they are all the same units with an adjustment knob that they set before shipping.

Thats great advice thanks, I'll see how the  LPS-1 once the OR is in the system

54 minutes ago, John Burrow said:

I'll be using the UPnP bridge in the OR to stream to a Naim streamer, so no physical connection into a DAC, this will probably affect the operating temperature. I'll find out in a couple of days when the device turns up. Thanks for your advice.

If all you are doing is using the Sonore UPnP bridge feature you might be okay.  

What exactly are the electrical needs of the OR?

Assume that the DAC will need vbus power.

There are numerous options for power supplies and I don't know what to ask for.

Thank you.

G

Main: sonicTransporter I5>etherRegen>opticalRendu/ghent/UltraCap 1.2> WireWorld Platinum>YGGY Atma-sphere MP-1 3.1> Hegel 30> Maggie 1.7, REL SE 212: Zero Autoformers, Interconnects , Analysis Plus Silver Oval-In, Nordost Heimdall, Power Cables: Synergistic./Shunyata>Chang Litespeed 

HT:Dish>OPPO>Marantz>Hegel> 3-Maggies/2-Quads>REL Gibraltar>Custom Wire loom>APS>Samsung Plasma 55"

15 minutes ago, thotdoc said:

What exactly are the electrical needs of the OR?

It is listed in the product page on Sonore's website as:

• Power input: 2A peak current and 1.5A continuous current at 6-9 VDC output
15 minutes ago, thotdoc said:

Assume that the DAC will need vbus power.

Too vague, you must get the exact spec for the DAC you intend to use, what current does it draw? Is it the 220mA stated a few posts prior?

If so add that to the 2 amp peak the opticalRendu can draw and you have a need for 2.22 amps from a power supply. Something you know will deliver 2.5 amps continuous should be sufficient, better yet 3 amps for some breathing room, especially if the PS spec does not indicate continuous vs. peak.

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

Boycott Warner Music Group

57 minutes ago, MikeyFresh said:

Too vague, you must get the exact spec for the DAC you intend to use, what current does it draw? Is it the 220mA stated a few posts prior?

If so add that to the 2 amp peak the opticalRendu can draw and you have a need for 2.22 amps from a power supply. Something you know will deliver 2.5 amps continuous should be sufficient, better yet 3 amps for some breathing room, especially if the PS spec does not indicate continuous vs. peak.

Thank you for the information that included the DAC requirement. It is exactly what I was asking for.

6 hours ago, MikeyFresh said:

The 1.5 amps already has the DACs 500 mA included. 2 amp peak is fine and no worries if more.

I am powering my oR with HDplex 200w (230v) to a UpTone LPS-1   
I’m Using the 12v output (fixed) to lps-1 and 7v to oR. 
I Can play high resolution files and all is running without any problem. Not too hot either.
My Kii controller is reserving 500mA but it seem not to bother.

image.jpg

5 hours ago, vortecjr said:

The 1.5 amps already has the DACs 500 mA included. 2 amp peak is fine and no worries if more.

Thank you

G

19 hours ago, John Burrow said:

OK, so I was premature in that post, last night, the LPS-1 after around 8 hours became very hot and shut down, I've now ordered a suitable power supply.  On a happier note the opticalRendu continued to impress, highly recommended especially over the microRendu.

In a pinch you could use the LPS-1s charger as a power source. You could even shunt that power supplies negative terminal to AC ground per John’s thread.

I've tested Optical Rendu with Ci power supply and optical module with ifi iPower for roughly a week VS my own sms200ultra with uptone 1.2 power, both with sonore dc power cord and same digital cables, Supra which is a low budget favourite one for me.

I prefer sms/uptone over OR/ci, the OR seems to have better PRaT and a more open soundstage with greater delineation, however more importantly, the sms has a more "dense" or "full" presentation which is of paramount importance for me. Therefore the OR sounds more "high resolution hifi" in a negative sense (as in lots of analysis but not really organic), and sms more like "music". It's a cliche but it holds up in this comparison. 
No doubt, the OR is a good streamer, but not to my liking it seems.

Used both as Roon endpoints.
The dac is a Aqua la scala mk2 with Mullard nos tubes, Entreq grounding boxes, Karan amp and Verity Parsifal speakers.

IMG_0462.jpg

18 minutes ago, Metnoc said:

I've tested Optical Rendu with Ci power supply and optical module with ifi iPower for roughly a week VS my own sms200ultra with uptone 1.2 power, both with sonore dc power cord and same digital cables, Supra which is a low budget favourite one for me.

I prefer sms/uptone over OR/ci, the OR seems to have better PRaT and a more open soundstage with greater delineation, however more importantly, the sms has a more "dense" or "full" presentation which is of paramount importance for me. Therefore the OR sounds more "high resolution hifi" in a negative sense (as in lots of analysis but not really organic), and sms more like "music". It's a cliche but it holds up in this comparison. 
No doubt, the OR is a good streamer, but not to my liking it seems.

Used both as Roon endpoints.
The dac is a Aqua la scala mk2 with Mullard nos tubes, Entreq grounding boxes, Karan amp and Verity Parsifal speakers.

IMG_0462.jpg

If this shall be a fair comparison, you need to use the same power supply on both streamers. 

Also power settings (7 or 9V) could matter. 

5 minutes ago, R1200CL said:

If this shall be a fair comparison, you need to use the same power supply on both streamers. 

Also power settings (7 or 9V) could matter. 

Yes that would have been optimal, but unfortunately that's not possible with the PSU I have available.
According to my the dealer that loaned me OR, Ci PSU sounds "warmer" than Uptone lps 1.2 for whatever thats worth.

You could power the opticalModule from the LPS-1.2 and see how that works for you. The iFi, if it’s DC negative is not shunt to AC ground, has noise on its DC output and others have commented that they achieve better results with a better power supply on the opticalModule. Also, we don’t make these units to emphasize any particular frequency range. On the contrary are units are meant to be brutally honest in their music reproduction. The power supply can invoke some character of its own on a Rendu, but usually less so with quality power supplies. From my perspective the source should be neutral and not used for tuning your system as that is what your DAC, cables, and AMP are for.