IGNORED

Sonore opticalRendu

Hi

I think of building a new server with i9 as rooncore and maybe Hqplayer4...now I am asking myself if I should go with an optical Ethernet pcie-card direct to opticalrendu or if the optical module is always suggested ? So it’s Server with jcat Femto Ethernet-Pcie to om and or....

thanks

28 minutes ago, latenz said:

Hi

I think of building a new server with i9 as rooncore and maybe Hqplayer4...now I am asking myself if I should go with an optical Ethernet pcie-card direct to opticalrendu or if the optical module is always suggested ? So it’s Server with jcat Femto Ethernet-Pcie to om and or....

thanks

Questions like these are very hard to answer.  Really, it probably "depends"!

What would the quality level of the internal optical NIC be?  What would the quality of the power supply to that NIC be?  If one can guarantee that the internal NIC is as good os the opticalModule, and the power supply to it is also very good, then the performance should also be very good...  But I have not yet heard of any audiophile NICs with good clocks and ultra low noise regulators such as are used for the opticalModule.

There may also be an advantage to doing the conversion to optical in the simpler, lower noise environment of just the opticalModule (or a stand alone ordinary FMC with good power supply for that matter).  Some here have reported advantages to adding the opticlModule vs using the optical output direct from a router or switch (commercial products).

There are so many possible Network configurations which will "work" that it is impossible to know every possible "best" configuration.

At this point I would advise that using the opticalModule, with a really good dedicated power supply, would probably be the "best" option, as the opticalModule does include a low phase noise clock and very good linear regulators, parts which one is not likely to find in a commercial NIC, but unless one tries every option one cannot be sure.  I would go with a short run of CAT 6 or CAT 6A to the opticalModule wherever the server and Network gear is located, then a long run of optical cable to the audio system with the opticalRendu (or Signature Rendu SEoptical) for the set up most likely to produce the "best" possible performance. 

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

On 7/1/2019 at 3:32 PM, latenz said:

Hi

thanks

.....or wait for the optical version of SonicTransporter i7 or i9 😀

(i9 probably not necessary)

On 5/11/2019 at 11:37 PM, vortecjr said:

When we open up sales on the opticalModules this week you will be able to purchase one from the opticalRendu webpage without shipping fees imposed. Any cheaters will have their purchase refunded. 

Isn’t this offer available still for opticalRendu bought early ?

@JohnSwenson you made a number of enhancements to the opticalRendu (vs the ultraRendu) beyond just optical networking.  Naturally, the whole optical thing has been the focus of much of the discussion because many of us have never used it before.

How much of the improved sound quality of an opticalRendu vs ultraRendu is attributable to those enhancements unrelated to optical input?

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

14 hours ago, rickca said:

@JohnSwenson you made a number of enhancements to the opticalRendu (vs the ultraRendu) beyond just optical networking.  Naturally, the whole optical thing has been the focus of much of the discussion because many of us have never used it before.

How much of the improved sound quality of an opticalRendu vs ultraRendu is attributable to those enhancements unrelated to optical input?

be quantitative please, to at least one decimal point!

:)

Thanks for the insight. My DAC is a Bryston BDA-3 and I’m using a Lush 2 USB Cable. As far as Power goes my existing LPS-1.2 will be on the Optical Module and the Sonore Ultra Power Supply will be on the Optical Rendu.

The Bryston is really good, been toying with the idea of the Holo 2 so I can do DSD512 via HQ Player but I feel the Optical Rendu with the oModule will be really good and the better result in terms of sonic’s.

It is never ending, a Sonic Transporter is on my to do list as well. That may happen during the Black Friday sale.

Enjoy the Music!

Mike

13 hours ago, cat6man said:

fyi...........LPS-1.2 runs my opticalRendu just fine here (YMMV)

also using LPS-1.2 on oM

oR feeds TotalDAC reclocker

Probably because no Vbus power is needed on that DAC. 😀

Are you using 9 or 7V on the oR ?

My system has now been stable for a long time. 
I find 9v sound better. (And more stable as I use 100 mA Vbus power). 

So this essentially makes the opticalRendu into an ethernet input device like the ultraRendu, with the advantage of optical isolation and the enhanced regulators of the opticalRendu. Interesting!

1. WiiM Pro - Mola Mola Makua - Apollon NCx500+SS2590 - March Audio Sointuva AWG

2. LG 77C1 - Marantz SR7005 - Apollon NC502MP+NC252MP - Monitor Audio PL100+PLC150+C265 - SVS SB-3000

3. PC - RME ADI-2 DAC FS - Neumann KH 80 DSP

4. Phone - Tanchjim Space - Truthear Zero Red

5. PC - Keysion ES2981 - Truthear Zero Red

22 minutes ago, Matias said:

So this essentially makes the opticalRendu into an ethernet input device like the ultraRendu, with the advantage of optical isolation and the enhanced regulators of the opticalRendu. Interesting!

How can you get optical isolation if you use an SFP to RJ45 copper module?

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

I thought it did, but apparently I got it wrong. :)

1. WiiM Pro - Mola Mola Makua - Apollon NCx500+SS2590 - March Audio Sointuva AWG

2. LG 77C1 - Marantz SR7005 - Apollon NC502MP+NC252MP - Monitor Audio PL100+PLC150+C265 - SVS SB-3000

3. PC - RME ADI-2 DAC FS - Neumann KH 80 DSP

4. Phone - Tanchjim Space - Truthear Zero Red

5. PC - Keysion ES2981 - Truthear Zero Red