IGNORED

The Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC

I have run ethernet directly to the Makua with a 1.5 meter Audio Sensibility Signature silver OCC ethernet cable and also tried a Ghent cable and the cable that came with the K50.  I also tried these along with a Sablon 2020 from the K50 to the Makua.   I rearranged equipment to accommodate changes in equipment this year.  My 1 meter Sablon ethernet cable was not long enough to reach from my PF Buffalo switch directly to the Makua.    

I then tried my EtherRegen between my switch and the Makua, but the AS cable does not work on A side, but does on B side--believe due to grounded shielding with AS and ER.   I ran Sablon ethernet cable>ER>AS ethernet cable>Makua, but taking the ER out of the chain and running like I am now with AS cable to the K50 and Sablon from it to the Makua just sounds  better than the other alternatives.   I am not reclocking the ER, but it had excellent linear power connected to 12v rail setting from a Sean Jacobs DC-4.  The ER is out of the chain now.

I am using AS cable into the Antipodes K50 and Sablon out from it. The AS cable seems to me to pass on additional detail/clarity influence to the K50 and onto the USB and other digital outputs from the K50 over the others I tried.  I find that a good thing for my system.  

I do wish the Makua had an I2S input like your Tambaqui.   I have more DACs than good sense, and one of them is PS Audio DirectStream.    I put this back in service with I2S from the Antipodes K50.   It is a warm, comfortable presentation that is engaging, but different than the Mola-Mola--I prefer over the DirectStream.   However, with the last firmware update on the DirectStream and the K50 sourcing, to me it sounds the best I have had with it.   

Prior to the Antipodes, I was using a Small Green Computer i5 CDR, but did not have the Makua prior to the Antipodes.   

16 minutes ago, further said:

I am not reclocking the ER, but it had excellent linear power connected to 12v rail setting from a Sean Jacobs DC-4.  The ER is out of the chain now.

I am using AS cable into the Antipodes K50 and Sablon out from it. The AS cable seems to me to pass on additional detail/clarity influence to the K50 and onto the USB and other digital outputs from the K50 over the others I tried.  I find that a good thing for my system.  

Thank you.  Exactly what I wanted to know.   I also had a DS previous to the Tambaqui.  Of course, the software for the DS has evolved since then, but I really liked the DS and I was shocked by the sound quality of the Tambaqui (already had the Mola Mola amps, so the comparison was a bit unfair -- the Tambaqui was designed using the amps).  

My demo didn't last very long before I knew my wallet was going to get lighter.   Currently using the Tambaqui as streamer/player/DAC/volume control.  Given that, and the trade-in value of the DS, this was the single best audio bang for the buck I've experienced.  

Grimm Audio MU1 > Mola Mola Tambaqui > Mola Mola Kaluga > B&W 803 D3    

Cables:  Kubala-Sosna    Power management:  Shunyata    Room:  Vicoustics  

“Nature is pleased with simplicity.”  Isaac Newton

"As neither the enjoyment nor the capacity of producing musical notes are faculties of the least use to man...they must be ranked among the most mysterious with which he is endowed."  Charles Darwin - The Descent of Man

• 5 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Lowgroove said:

I recently purchased a Makua with DAC and Phono stage.

When I demo-ed the Makua the retailer fed it with a K50 and the output ran into a pair of SMC150 ASL active speakers.  It sounded great in this setting.  We tried the AES/EBU and the ethernet as connections and generally the AES/EBU sounded better (can't recall the cables used).  At one stage the ethernet connections sounded quite inferior and I was quite surprised the difference changing the ethernet cable made - almost matched the AES/EBU with the second cable.

My budget did not allow purchase of the K50 as well as the preamp, so I just run the Makua as a Roon endpoint via Ethernet.  I am sure it would be better with the K50 - but that will have to wait until the bank balance recovers.  I am very happy with the sound in my system for now.

The Mola Mola DAC can sound very good via ethernet.  You might want to try something like the UpTone etherREGEN for 30 days to determine if it improves the sound.  If you have an LPS that can power the etherREGEN that would be an even better demo, but there are folks who use the included SMPS and find it works well in their systems.    Really nothing to lose since there is a money-back guarantee.  I'm saying this as a satisfied customer, nothing more than that.  

"As neither the enjoyment nor the capacity of producing musical notes are faculties of the least use to man...they must be ranked among the most mysterious with which he is endowed."  Charles Darwin - The Descent of Man

1 hour ago, PYP said:

The Mola Mola DAC can sound very good via ethernet.  You might want to try something like the UpTone etherREGEN for 30 days to determine if it improves the sound.  If you have an LPS that can power the etherREGEN that would be an even better demo, but there are folks who use the included SMPS and find it works well in their systems.    Really nothing to lose since there is a money-back guarantee.  I'm saying this as a satisfied customer, nothing more than that.  

Thanks I am pretty happy as is, but might give it a try.  Always keen to improve the sound.

7 hours ago, Lowgroove said:

Thanks I am pretty happy as is

Always a good place to be.   Congratulations on the new equipment.   And it seems we get a new Mola Mola remote for free too!  😉  Happy New Year.  

43 minutes ago, further said:

I have found the Makua does respond to power cords, cables, including ethernet cables, and upstream network changes as PYP has suggested.  The Makua is a very fine piece of audio equipment and wish you fun times ahead with it.

Agree that power cords and the ethernet cable that feeds the DAC can make a surprising (to me) difference.  

The US distributor suggests using your best power cord for digital.   @Lowgroove, since your Makua includes a DAC, this might be something to consider (or perhaps you already have).  

3 hours ago, further said:

I have found the Makua does respond to power cords, cables, including ethernet cables, and upstream network changes as PYP has suggested.

2 hours ago, PYP said:

The US distributor suggests using your best power cord for digital.

Thanks for the welcome to the forum and helpful advice.  

The retailer I purchased from was quite helpful during the audition and I got to hear first hand the changes in sound between different ethernet cables and the AES/EBU.  He only used high quality power cables and XLR's.

I only have one brand of high quality aftermarket power cable and XLR (analogue output) and have been using those on the Makua since I received it.  At some stage I might buy some others to see how much difference they make, but first I might invest in a better Ethernet cable - do you know if it makes as much difference between a wall socket and the Makua as it does between the K50 and the Makua?

9 minutes ago, Lowgroove said:

Thanks for the welcome to the forum and helpful advice.  

The retailer I purchased from was quite helpful during the audition and I got to hear first hand the changes in sound between different ethernet cables and the AES/EBU.  He only used high quality power cables and XLR's.

I only have one brand of high quality aftermarket power cable and XLR (analogue output) and have been using those on the Makua since I received it.  At some stage I might buy some others to see how much difference they make, but first I might invest in a better Ethernet cable - do you know if it makes as much difference between a wall socket and the Makua as it does between the K50 and the Makua?

I have a tambaqui thats been on order since last october,suposedly shipping soon.

i had in in home demo with the tambaqui,and used a “transparent” brand ethernet cable with great success.it significantly bettered my blue jeans ethernet and wireworld ethernet cables. There is such a huge difference in sound between these cables with tambaqui.

i am considering the etherRegen but not sure if it will do anything for me because

i’m using as source the innuos statement which both reclocks the ethernet output and usb outputs.

the other issue is the “ASR” audio science review forum on the etherRegen which states no measurable differences using or not using this device?snake oil?

i dont know…..

52 minutes ago, barrows said:

I would guarantee to you that if the folks at ASR tested the difference between a Blue Jeans Cable CAT 6A Ethernet cable and the Transparent Ethernet cable they would also show no measured difference: what does that say about the difference which you heard?  And what would be the implications of this for the use, or not, of the EtherRegen?

My conclusion would be:  If a change to a "better" Ethernet cable makes a difference, adding an EtherRegen close to the Tambaqui would make an even bigger difference.  Best case would likely be having the EtherRegen close to the Tambaqui, with the best Ethernet cable of only a single meter between the EtherRegen and the Tambaqui.  With this approach the EtherRegen removes most of the noise from the Ethernet transmission, and by having a short distance to travel to the Tambaqui there is (virtually)no additional noise picked up on the way to the Tambaqui. 

Thanks for your input barrows,

i still may try the ether regen,as it it has a 30 day trial

i always trust my own ears👍Im a fan of uptone audio

its just that asr’s review was really down on the etherRegen

also, i assume that a 1/2 meter hi quality between etherRegen and tambaqui would be better

than a 1 meter?being shorter?

11 minutes ago, Decur said:

its just that asr’s review was really down on the etherRegen

Yes, but they would also call you a fool (and probably worse things) for claiming that you hear a difference between Ethernet cables, so you may want to consider that when ascribing a lot of value to the opinions expressed at that site.  While I value measurements a lot and appreciate the measures that ASR provides, everyone there appear to have an agenda which to me appears to be anti sound quality.  The folks at ASR would also tell you that there is no way you could hear a difference between a Topping D-90 DAC and the Tambaqui!  I think we both know that is incorrect.

14 minutes ago, Decur said:

i assume that a 1/2 meter hi quality between etherRegen and tambaqui would be better

than a 1 meter?being shorter?

Maybe, I usually do not consider using Ethernet cables any shorter than 1 meter, as they are often stiff enough that getting them to bend into position at shorter lengths can be a problem.  I own a single Sablon Ethernet cable at 1 meter, and it is so stiff that any shorter woudl be almost impossible to use. 

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

I have 2 connections activated into my Tamabaqui.

First: Roon, Nucleus+ via Etherregen into Tambaqui.

Second: Etherregen (B-A) into Optical Rendu to USB Tamabaqui.

My preferred streaming Service (HRA) is not available via Roon, therefor I use Audirvana Studio.

I did my setup a year ago, where I experimented a lot with different stuff, like cables, clocks etc. Etherregen was a keeper for me. One needs to test it for oneself. Don't know if it is available anymore, due to the supply chain problem.

Hi @AnAndGate

I have a QX-5 and I'm very fond of it. Having said that, I'm very curious of how the Tambaqui would sound in my system and how it compares to the QX-5. I hope to audition the Tambaqui within two weeks in my own system and thus make a direct - albeit short - comparison. I'll report back here, but don't expect an in-depth review!

If you come across any other comparison of the two I'd appreciate it if you'd post about it here ... I couldn't find one either!

Cheers,

Marc

13 hours ago, bluebeat said:

Hi @AnAndGate

I have a QX-5 and I'm very fond of it. Having said that, I'm very curious of how the Tambaqui would sound in my system and how it compares to the QX-5. I hope to audition the Tambaqui within two weeks in my own system and thus make a direct - albeit short - comparison. I'll report back here, but don't expect an in-depth review!

If you come across any other comparison of the two I'd appreciate it if you'd post about it here ... I couldn't find one either!

Cheers,

Marc

Same here. QX-5  is excellent in my set up. With USB, Ethernet modules they have a similar price point. Some of the descriptions of the subjective strengths of Tambaqui are similar to what I hear in my QX-5 and  that sparked my interest to compare. Going by the Stereophile reviews the units measure differently.

I look forward to see your short comparison!

• 4 weeks later...
51 minutes ago, ted_b said:

I will get over my giddiness and listen again tonight.  It's really quite something, in that it is not head and shoulders above the Holo May, it's just better at everything....and sounds like the last of any digital artifacts are just vanished.  As we've discussed before, I will probably be able to tell its impact best when I swap back out and listen to the Holo May.  I'm praying it hasn't ruined me.  :)

I hate you Ted:D  I had a feeling this was the dac.  But when I got DSD1024 (non-EC) and DSD512 w EC7v2 modulators with the May, I too felt everything was better, so much so I never want to go back.  DSD512 EC7v2 is proving my favorite over 1024 with no EC and I know when 1024 w EC is possible that will top 512 EC.  The limit of the Mola mola at 256 concerns me.  Be interesting to compare Mola at 256EC7v2 vs may 512 EC7v2 or even 1024 EC if someone has i9-12900K and maybe a 3090Ti GPU to do so.

My setting up HQPlayer and Tambaqui has more to do with USB than with HQPlayer, frankly.  But I will try and compare what the Mola Mola does with upsampled HQP files vs native Roon files.  Most report that the Tambaqui is somewhat agnostic in that it does its own thing internally with any file...not sure anyone has identified "sweet spots" to serve it.