IGNORED

The Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC

On 6/21/2021 at 4:54 AM, HH_miller said:

Let me throw another combination into the mix. I am running my Tambaqui behind a Lumin U1. I decided against the X1 mainly because I did not want to buy into the Chip based DACs again, coming from R2R. But I did want to have a fabulous dedicated streamer to begin with. I am running the U1 with X-PS and an Audiosensibility cable though Mutec Re-Clock's to feed the Tambaqui with AES. 

Have you tried tried Leedh volume processing on your Lumin U1 streamer with the Tambaqui? Has anyone else here tried Leedh lossless volume control?

Joel Chevassus’s stellar review on SixMoons recently piqued my interest where he used the Leedh volume algorithm on the Lumin X1 as the streamer and volume control into a Mola Mola Tambaqui pre-amp-less into Lumin Amps and Vivid Giya speakers. He preferred the streamer and Leedh volume control in the X1 to the already good digital volume control in the Tambaqui, but unsurprisingly preferred the dac in the Tambaqui. He had high praise for the Lumin / Mola Mola combo and compared it favorably to some very high end Swiss gear.

1 hour ago, justthemusic said:

Have you tried tried Leedh volume processing on your Lumin U1 streamer with the Tambaqui? Has anyone else here tried Leedh lossless volume control?

Joel Chevassus’s stellar review on SixMoons recently piqued my interest where he used the Leedh volume algorithm on the Lumin X1 as the streamer and volume control into a Mola Mola Tambaqui pre-amp-less into Lumin Amps and Vivid Giya speakers. He preferred the streamer and Leedh volume control in the X1 to the already good digital volume control in the Tambaqui, but unsurprisingly preferred the dac in the Tambaqui. He had high praise for the Lumin / Mola Mola combo and compared it favorably to some very high end Swiss gear.

I'd been very interested on Leedh digital volume myself but since the Lumin implementation it's all gone quiet for some reason. Even Audirvana was supposed to implement it but dropped it.

mevdinc.com (My autobiography)
Recently sold my ATC EL 150 Actives!

On 7/1/2021 at 5:44 PM, mevdinc said:

I'd been very interested on Leedh digital volume myself but since the Lumin implementation it's all gone quiet for some reason. Even Audirvana was supposed to implement it but dropped it.

@justthemusic Today a Lumin user in a facebook group said after using the Lumin Leedh Processing Volume, he is considering to sell his $4k preamp.  His comments are "very defined", "superior to preamp", and "more detailed".

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead

• 1 month later...

Hello all. Have been doing some reading here and there...

A couple questions to stir the pot here:

1) Any chance that the HDMI input on the Tambaqui would accept the full DSD (SACD layer) from a PS Audio transport? I know it's not in the spec -- there are a couple DACs that seem to do this (it's never in the spec likely for legal reasons) incl the Holo Audio May, and it seems like a huge win.

2) Somewhat less of a pipedream than #1; is there any hope of updating the HDMI implementation (assuming it's in software) on the MMT so it will accept high bitrates? Many other DACs do this and it's a nice way to get away from the vagaries of USB, or the SQ constraints of the MMT's built-in ethernet Roon endpoint.

3) While I'm building a wishlist, could we get NAA or UPnP rendering on that ethernet input? Would almost certainly sound better than RAAT.

and finally, promise I'm done:

4) Has anyone yet compared a Holo Audio May KTE (with high-rate upsampling from HQP) with the Tambaqui, the dCS Bartok, or the Chord DAVE (upsampled by HQP or MS) with the Sean Jacobs DC3 / DC4?  (TwitteringMachines review of the May compares it to the Tambaqui, but only used the May in NOS mode with no sw upsampling)

I'm vaguely considering building a system around the May KTE, but given the extra boxes and complexity of a high-performance HQP setup I'm only interested in it if it will approach or better the Tambaqui. The fundamentals are there (measured 130dB+ dynamic range, hotrod parts everywhere, separate power supply) but it seems like a lot of work.

Cheers..

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
10 hours ago, Gavin1977 said:

Random question… has anyone ever heard another DAC which has the same precision with imaging that the Tambaqui has?

Or has anyone managed to achieve something similar using external clocks?

Thanks

I am feeding the Tambaqui with AES reclocked by 2 Mutec MC-3+ and a Ref10 120 as master clock. I have had great results with reclocking over the years, nevertheless a capable DAC is what made the big difference for me. I did not try many but went from chip based via R2R now to pulse width modulation. Even though I agree that implementation does make a big difference the core technology made a bigger, ymmv.

13 hours ago, HH_miller said:

I am feeding the Tambaqui with AES reclocked by 2 Mutec MC-3+ and a Ref10 120 as master clock. I have had great results with reclocking over the years, nevertheless a capable DAC is what made the big difference for me. I did not try many but went from chip based via R2R now to pulse width modulation. Even though I agree that implementation does make a big difference the core technology made a bigger, ymmv.

Interesting - why two Mutec MC-3+?  Are you daisy chaining them?

I didn’t get on with Holo Audio May - whilst the soundstage was nice and large… imaging was nebulous 👎

15 hours ago, Gavin1977 said:

Interesting - why two Mutec MC-3+?  Are you daisy chaining them?

I didn’t get on with Holo Audio May - whilst the soundstage was nice and large… imaging was nebulous 👎

Yes they are daisy chained, the first one is driving AES to a set of Genelecs the second the Mola Mola with AES. I previously had the Mola Mola attached to the Genelecs, but they need to run for passing the signal. Having the Tambaqui now on a dedicated AES line on the second MC3+ made a nice improvement, not night and day though.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, bluebeat said:

The full review by Herb Reichert is online.

Really enjoyed Bruno's brief comments about how it was designed.  Thanks.  

Grimm Audio MU1 > Mola Mola Tambaqui > Mola Mola Kaluga > B&W 803 D3    

Cables:  Kubala-Sosna    Power management:  Shunyata    Room:  Vicoustics  

“Nature is pleased with simplicity.”  Isaac Newton

"As neither the enjoyment nor the capacity of producing musical notes are faculties of the least use to man...they must be ranked among the most mysterious with which he is endowed."  Charles Darwin - The Descent of Man

On 11/19/2021 at 9:08 AM, bluebeat said:

Do any of you use the Grimm MU1 with the Tambaqui? Any thoughts?

No direct knowledge, but page 4 of this review briefly mentions this combination: https://www.hifi-advice.com/blog/review/digital-reviews/network-player-reviews/grimm-mu1/4/   

"Simultaneous with the MU1, I also had the Mola-Mola Tambaqui DAC on review. As this DAC has its own review I won’t go into specifics here, but suffice to say that this unassuming little DAC is something special! Not only does it sound superb, but it also pairs very well with the MU1."

"As neither the enjoyment nor the capacity of producing musical notes are faculties of the least use to man...they must be ranked among the most mysterious with which he is endowed."  Charles Darwin - The Descent of Man

Hi @PYP

Thanks. Christiaan Punter is has indeed reviewed positively the Tambaqui and the MU1 as well as the combination of the two. In fact there's more than one professional reviewer who evaluated the pairing of the Tambaqui with the MU1 favorabily. I'm especially interested in the first hand experiences of fellow audiophilestyle contributors. So so, if anyone has experience with both I would like to hear about it!

Cheers,

Marc

31 minutes ago, bluebeat said:

Hi @PYP

Thanks. Christiaan Punter is has indeed reviewed positively the Tambaqui and the MU1 as well as the combination of the two. In fact there's more than one professional reviewer who evaluated the pairing of the Tambaqui with the MU1 favorabily. I'm especially interested in the first hand experiences of fellow audiophilestyle contributors. So so, if anyone has experience with both I would like to hear about it!

Cheers,

Marc

So, you already use the MU1 and are thinking about replacing your Ayre QX-5 Twenty with the Tambaqui?  

Thank you bluebeat for providing the link to the online review. 

I may have missed it, but I didn't catch what server Herb Reichert used nor the digital input connection for his review.  I have a Mola-Mola Makua preamp with the DAC module.   The Makua has the Roon Ready ethernet connection and S/PDIF optical, AES/EBU, and USB, but not I2S nor headphone.   My server is the Antipodes K50, which Christiaan Punter also reviewed and also used in his Tambaqui review.   My opinion is server and server/player are major influences in the final presentation with a DAC.  

I have not auditioned the Grimm MU1, but have read very happy user reviews, and Christiaan really likes it.   He generally likes AES/EBU and was his preference with the K50 in that review.  I currently prefer it as well over USB (Wireworld Platinum Starlight and Triode Wire Labs), and ethernet (Audio Sensibility Signature ethernet to K50 and Sablon 2020 ethernet from K50 Directstream ethernet port to Mola-Mola Roon Ready port).  For AES/EBU cable I am using Sablon Bocchino AES/EBU.  The USB and AES/EBU use the Antipodes reclocked digital outputs and Antipodes player while ethernet uses the Roon Ready player in the Mola-Mola DAC.  

My opinion is the Mola-Mola is an excellent DAC and immediately captured my attention with the first music I heard with it--crystal clear music notes suspended in space.    I do hear differences in the Mola-Mola presentation not only in the digital type input but also from differences in cables within the each type input.   As audio enthusiasts we are very fortunate to have a great selection of enjoyable DACs and servers available for our enjoyment.

2 hours ago, further said:

I may have missed it, but I didn't catch what server Herb Reichert used nor the digital input connection for his review.  I have a Mola-Mola Makua preamp with the DAC module.   The Makua has the Roon Ready ethernet connection and S/PDIF optical, AES/EBU, and USB, but not I2S nor headphone.   My server is the Antipodes K50, which Christiaan Punter also reviewed and also used in his Tambaqui review.   My opinion is server and server/player are major influences in the final presentation with a DAC.  

Have you compared the ethernet connection directly to the Makua vs. with the addition of the Antipodes?

And have you tried other server/players?  I ask because I'm considering adding a player/server in front of the Tambaqui.  Currently, I use the Tambaqui's ethernet input and have two UpTone etherRegens (plus power supplies and one external clock) before the Tambaqui to reduce various kinds of noise carried by copper ethernet.  The sound is very, very good, but I'm curious about a one-box solution.