IGNORED

The Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC

• 3 weeks later...

I have just received a Demo Tambaqui for my Susvara/Niimbus, it is setup and currently running warm. I do come from a Sonnet Audio Morpheus R2R and am curious to listen to it over the long weekend.

Initial findings, very different presentation. Especially from the dynamics the Mola Mola seems extremely transparent and resolving. The second one was a nice one, I am running them AES on the end of a series of Genelecs (including a big sub). I usually mute the Genelecs but sometimes I forget, it becomes obvious when the sub kicks in. This time again I thought that I forgot … but I did not! I was under the impression to even feel the base.

Richter: Dream 1 on Max Richter Sleep

spacer.png

17 hours ago, HH_miller said:

I have just received a Demo Tambaqui for my Susvara/Niimbus, it is setup and currently running warm. I do come from a Sonnet Audio Morpheus R2R and am curious to listen to it over the long weekend.

Initial findings, very different presentation. Especially from the dynamics the Mola Mola seems extremely transparent and resolving. The second one was a nice one, I am running them AES on the end of a series of Genelecs (including a big sub). I usually mute the Genelecs but sometimes I forget, it becomes obvious when the sub kicks in. This time again I thought that I forgot … but I did not! I was under the impression to even feel the base.

Richter: Dream 1 on Max Richter Sleep

spacer.png

I too have compared the Mola Mola DAC (Makua) to the Sonnet Morpheus.  They are very different.  I noticed the Mola Mola conveyed much more air and sense of space.  The Morpheus has that R2R timbre, but is, IMO, claustrophobic in comparison.

try this one in FLAC 96/24.   Too many piano recordings are ethereal or have a distant perspective:

image.png.09c7adf2a5e48d1f8ec6c5af70b6bb10.png

Grimm Audio MU1 > Mola Mola Tambaqui > Mola Mola Kaluga > B&W 803 D3    

Cables:  Kubala-Sosna    Power management:  Shunyata    Room:  Vicoustics  

“Nature is pleased with simplicity.”  Isaac Newton

"As neither the enjoyment nor the capacity of producing musical notes are faculties of the least use to man...they must be ranked among the most mysterious with which he is endowed."  Charles Darwin - The Descent of Man

To be honest I never noticed differences when upgrading the DAC's DSP or XMOS or whatever. I think they did improve stability and such, but audio quality, not that I have noticed. Or maybe I did not pay attention enough.

1. WiiM Pro - Mola Mola Makua - Apollon NCx500+SS2590 - March Audio Sointuva AWG

2. LG 77C1 - Marantz SR7005 - Apollon NC502MP+NC252MP - Monitor Audio PL100+PLC150+C265 - SVS SB-3000

3. PC - RME ADI-2 DAC FS - Neumann KH 80 DSP

4. Phone - Tanchjim Space - Truthear Zero Red

5. PC - Keysion ES2981 - Truthear Zero Red

38 minutes ago, ehoz said:

@Matias - was curious and wanted to learn more. Whad does the xmos upgrade bring ? Is it related to the usb driver ? I see they have released a version 3 upgrade for the same. 
what upgrades may Affect sound quality?

I have no idea. They don't detail much with a "What's New" report. Better if you ask their customer service directly.

1. WiiM Pro - Mola Mola Makua - Apollon NCx500+SS2590 - March Audio Sointuva AWG

2. LG 77C1 - Marantz SR7005 - Apollon NC502MP+NC252MP - Monitor Audio PL100+PLC150+C265 - SVS SB-3000

3. PC - RME ADI-2 DAC FS - Neumann KH 80 DSP

4. Phone - Tanchjim Space - Truthear Zero Red

5. PC - Keysion ES2981 - Truthear Zero Red

11 hours ago, PYP said:

maybe not.  I think the sound improved a bit, but my theory is that unplugging everything is usually beneficial anyway, so cannot be sure the update was the cause.  Sounds incredible, as owners know...

Reminders for those who have not updated:

-- check for update on your mobile app first and update there first.  Then the instructions pop up at the end.

-- from your computer, download latest digin programmer for either Windows or Mac from the Mola Mola website

-- if you are a Mac user, you may get the "not trusted app" message when you try to open digin.  If so, go to System Preferences, Security and Privacy, allow app download from...Mola Mola - open anyway (click on this button).

-- when you connect to the Tambaqui to your Mac via USB, choose the USB input (ok, that one is obvious).  The input will blink.  Wait a bit and the digin app will look for update and tell you if the update is ready.   

It’s so hard to know if the update makes any difference to SQ… it’s not like you can ABX firmware in the Mola Mola gear!  FWIW I usually don’t notice any change to SQ, but with this update I did think there a slight improvement.

22 minutes ago, galanakop said:

The mola mola Tambaqui together with the ATC SCA2 –Pre-Amplifier Will be my main sources for my new atc SCM100ASLT.
What is your opinion ???

IMHO it doesn't get much better than that.  There are other combos that would be equal, but hard to find something topping it.  And I've not heard the dac, but would love to.  I know Bruno to a very small extent (met through NativeDSD work at CES, etc) and respect almost anything he puts his mind to.  And I owned ATCs for awhile (older SCM150 pro models) and couldn't believe how good they were...just overwhelmed my room at the time (especially cuz I was contemplating a 5.1 ATC system).  Anyway....good luck, you have a solid foundation.

9 hours ago, galanakop said:

The mola mola Tambaqui together with the ATC SCA2 –Pre-Amplifier Will be my main sources for my new atc SCM100ASLT.
What is your opinion ???

I don’t have a huge amount of experience with preamplifiers, however now that I have moved over to a Hugo TT2 I find that any form of preamp between it and the amplifier smears over detail.  This is not something I’ve noticed before with lesser DACs as they just weren’t that resolving.  I no longer have the Mola Mola to check this out, but I believe that using the DAC to directly drive your amplifier would be best… also cheaper.  Try before you buy.