IGNORED

The Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC

Not possibility to connect any external power supply to my understanding. Indeed, I think such a possiblity would be very welcome. Note sure whether some after-market solution will become available for the Tambaqui, i.e., something equivalent to the Sean Jacobs DC4 PSU upgrade for the Chord DAVE.

Apple Powerbook G4 15\", iTunes, Metric Halo LIO-8, active speakers

17 hours ago, galanakop said:

The mola mola Tambaqui together with the ATC SCA2 –Pre-Amplifier Will be my main sources for my new atc SCM100ASLT.
What is your opinion ???

Maybe consider instead of the Tambaqui+SCA2 go with the Mola Mola Makua instead? It has the same DAC inside their preamp.

Try both before you buy, if possible.

1. WiiM Pro - Mola Mola Makua - Apollon NCx500+SS2590 - March Audio Sointuva AWG

2. LG 77C1 - Marantz SR7005 - Apollon NC502MP+NC252MP - Monitor Audio PL100+PLC150+C265 - SVS SB-3000

3. PC - RME ADI-2 DAC FS - Neumann KH 80 DSP

4. Phone - Tanchjim Space - Truthear Zero Red

5. PC - Keysion ES2981 - Truthear Zero Red

7 hours ago, galanakop said:

One clarification please for the mola mola Tambaqui. For even better performance does the mola mola need an external power supply ??? If yes do you recommend it ???

There is no external power supply and no external clock.   It is a remarkable DAC as designed.  The US distributor uses it in a very high-end system in which some of the cables cost as much as the Tambaqui.  

As @Matiassuggested, another possibility is an in-home demo of a Makua preamp with the internal DAC installed (if that can be arranged).  Then, just add the powered speakers.  Done.  

Grimm Audio MU1 > Mola Mola Tambaqui > Mola Mola Kaluga > B&W 803 D3    

Cables:  Kubala-Sosna    Power management:  Shunyata    Room:  Vicoustics  

“Nature is pleased with simplicity.”  Isaac Newton

"As neither the enjoyment nor the capacity of producing musical notes are faculties of the least use to man...they must be ranked among the most mysterious with which he is endowed."  Charles Darwin - The Descent of Man

13 minutes ago, galanakop said:

the Makua preamplifier with the internal DAC installed, will it be different if they are two separate pieces and not in one ????

I have not heard both, but the US distributor has said that the DAC board in the Makua is the same as the Tambaqui.  It makes sense to me that an internal connection could be better than an external connection (because of distance and potential for noise pollution).  

Since I intended to use the ethernet input, and the Makua did not have that capability at that time, I tried the Tambaqui, specifically as a Roon endpoint.  I didn't want to wait to see if and when the Makua would have those capabilities.  If the Makua had the same features at that early date (it does now, of course), I would have purchased the Makua with the DAC installed.  

"As neither the enjoyment nor the capacity of producing musical notes are faculties of the least use to man...they must be ranked among the most mysterious with which he is endowed."  Charles Darwin - The Descent of Man

Nowadays Makua has a working ethernet for Roon too.

1. WiiM Pro - Mola Mola Makua - Apollon NCx500+SS2590 - March Audio Sointuva AWG

2. LG 77C1 - Marantz SR7005 - Apollon NC502MP+NC252MP - Monitor Audio PL100+PLC150+C265 - SVS SB-3000

3. PC - RME ADI-2 DAC FS - Neumann KH 80 DSP

4. Phone - Tanchjim Space - Truthear Zero Red

5. PC - Keysion ES2981 - Truthear Zero Red

I'm not sure if a device and pre amplifier and dac would have the same performance if they were two separate. I think in terms of catering it will definitely lag behind. What do you say???

in terms of power supply I meanI imagine that two power supplies compared to one like doing this on its own will make a difference.  what do you think ???

32 minutes ago, galanakop said:

I'm not sure if a device and pre amplifier and dac would have the same performance if they were two separate. I think in terms of catering it will definitely lag behind. What do you say???

in terms of power supply I meanI imagine that two power supplies compared to one like doing this on its own will make a difference.  what do you think ???

Why don't you ask the distributor? I think they will give you a straight answer if the integrated unit is as good - or possibly better - than the separates. I don't think there is a one size fits all answer for these questions. It's probably dependent on the implementation. 

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

21 hours ago, galanakop said:

The mola mola Tambaqui together with the ATC SCA2 –Pre-Amplifier Will be my main sources for my new atc SCM100ASLT.
What is your opinion ???

'Perfect' is the first word that comes to my mind. :)
Enjoy!

mevdinc.com (My autobiography)
Recently sold my ATC EL 150 Actives!

24 minutes ago, firedog said:

Γιατί δεν ρωτάτε τον διανομέα; Νομίζω ότι θα σας δώσουν μια ευθεία απάντηση εάν η ενσωματωμένη μονάδα είναι τόσο καλή - είτε πιθανώς καλύτερη - από την ξεχωριστή. Δεν νομίζω ότι υπάρχει ένα μέγεθος που να ταιριάζει σε όλες αυτές τις ερωτήσεις. Εξαρτάται πιθανώς από την εφαρμογή. 

My representative says that the separate unit because it has a separate power supply will be better.

18 minutes ago, galanakop said:

My representative says that the separate unit because it has a separate power supply will be better.

And mine told me that the combined unit has the edge. You are also comparing a digital vs analogue volume control, so there are a lot of factors in play. 

16 hours ago, galanakop said:

The real question is do you need a preamp for anything else apart from the DAC? 

If your only source will be the Tambaqui DAC, then save some money and use the Tambaqui direct into your active ATC loudspeakers.  The money you save can be better spent on other areas of your system, or music…

However, if you need a preamp for other sources, then the Makua offers an edge over the Tambaqui, albeit at a price.  The Makua has a very transparent analog volume control along with excellent current drive for overcoming the cable length losses to your active ATCs.  You may notice, as I did, that the Makua digs a bit deeper in the bass compared to Tambaqui direct.  Any interconnecting cables between a DAC and preamp will detract from the sound, which is why the direct connection within the Makua will sound the best if a preamp is needed.

2 hours ago, Stereophilus said:

The real question is do you need a preamp for anything else apart from the DAC? 

If your only source will be the Tambaqui DAC, then save some money and use the Tambaqui direct into your active ATC loudspeakers.  The money you save can be better spent on other areas of your system, or music…

However, if you need a preamp for other sources, then the Makua offers an edge over the Tambaqui, albeit at a price.  The Makua has a very transparent analog volume control along with excellent current drive for overcoming the cable length losses to your active ATCs.  You may notice, as I did, that the Makua digs a bit deeper in the bass compared to Tambaqui direct.  Any interconnecting cables between a DAC and preamp will detract from the sound, which is why the direct connection within the Makua will sound the best if a preamp is needed.

In my personal experience, I have always preferred DAC direct to my active ATCs. Obviously, this assumes the DAC in use has a very good analog/digital volume control.

mevdinc.com (My autobiography)
Recently sold my ATC EL 150 Actives!

Thanks a lot for your answers. The truth is that the preamplifier for me will be the atc sca2 since it sounds great with the speakers I have ordered ATC 100 ASLT, on there I have to put a dac / streamer. lumin X 1, mola mola Tambaqui, but also dCS Bartók are the 3 most prevalent dac that I wanted to have. and based on my own experiences in some of them. Because I use both the roon species in my possession and the Roon Nucleus so whichever of the above I choose will be connected to Nucleus,

7 hours ago, galanakop said:

Thanks a lot for your answers. The truth is that the preamplifier for me will be the atc sca2 since it sounds great with the speakers I have ordered ATC 100 ASLT, on there I have to put a dac / streamer. lumin X 1, mola mola Tambaqui, but also dCS Bartók are the 3 most prevalent dac that I wanted to have. and based on my own experiences in some of them. Because I use both the roon species in my possession and the Roon Nucleus so whichever of the above I choose will be connected to Nucleus,

That makes perfect sense.   All are universally recognized great DACs and approximately the same price and features.  As you know, a demo in your new system is the way to determine system synergy and your preference.  Good luck and have fun!

Let me throw another combination into the mix. I am running my Tambaqui behind a Lumin U1. I decided against the X1 mainly because I did not want to buy into the Chip based DACs again, coming from R2R. But I did want to have a fabulous dedicated streamer to begin with. I am running the U1 with X-PS and an Audiosensibility cable though Mutec Re-Clock's to feed the Tambaqui with AES. 

5 hours ago, HH_miller said:

Let me throw another combination into the mix. I am running my Tambaqui behind a Lumin U1. I decided against the X1 mainly because I did not want to buy into the Chip based DACs again, coming from R2R. But I did want to have a fabulous dedicated streamer to begin with. I am running the U1 with X-PS and an Audiosensibility cable though Mutec Re-Clock's to feed the Tambaqui with AES. 

That is interesting.  I have found that if the Tambaqui is used as the streamer, the incoming ethernet stream needs to be cleaned up in order to get the best sound.  Cleaning up the ethernet results in a large improvement in sound.  Nothing subtle about it.  Did adding the U1 have a large effect?

On 6/17/2021 at 7:56 AM, fds said:

Not possibility to connect any external power supply to my understanding. Indeed, I think such a possiblity would be very welcome. Note sure whether some after-market solution will become available for the Tambaqui, i.e., something equivalent to the Sean Jacobs DC4 PSU upgrade for the Chord DAVE.

Sean Jacobs DC4 LPS to the DAVE is amazing, best DAC I've heard so far.  It is significantly beyond the TT2 and I also believe the Tambaqui.  As I have written before I didn't much care for the DAVE in stock form.  As others will have experienced when adding LPS on other equipment, the DC4 effects the DACs entire performance for the better.  I experienced a similar uplift adding linear to a qutest, but the DAVE and DC4 combination is dramatic. 

Holo Audio May (Wildism Edition) should be with me in 2-4 weeks.

9 hours ago, Gavin1977 said:

Sean Jacobs DC4 LPS to the DAVE is amazing, best DAC I've heard so far.  It is significantly beyond the TT2 and I also believe the Tambaqui.  As I have written before I didn't much care for the DAVE in stock form.  As others will have experienced when adding LPS on other equipment, the DC4 effects the DACs entire performance for the better.  I experienced a similar uplift adding linear to a qutest, but the DAVE and DC4 combination is dramatic. 

Holo Audio May (Wildism Edition) should be with me in 2-4 weeks.

I'm very much looking forward to your comparison of the Chord Dave (with DC4) and the Holo May!

17 hours ago, Gavin1977 said:

Sean Jacobs DC4 LPS to the DAVE is amazing, best DAC I've heard so far.  It is significantly beyond the TT2 and I also believe the Tambaqui. 

I would assume the presentations are different.  How would you characterize the differences you heard?