IGNORED

The Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC

2 hours ago, PYP said:

I've lived with four DACs previously, all much less expensive than the Tambaqui.  I enjoyed them all, but it very clear to my ears that none came close to the level of the live sound experience that the Tambaqui provides.  And we have two users in my household (three, if you include the kitten, who prefers Jazz at reasonable volume).  Measurements don't mean anything to my wife.  She either enjoys the music or she doesn't.  She loves the Tambaqui as much as I do and we both listen to a lot more music since we got it.  

Yep. The sound is either right - or it ain't worth listening to ... no matter how spectacularly some special demo tracks might come across.

Someone who couldn't give a damn for all the audiophile nonsense is the ideal person to judge whether a system is working well or not - if the playback is 'effortless' to live with, then it's getting far more things right, than wrong.

• 2 months later...
On 11/4/2020 at 8:38 AM, The Computer Audiophile said:

Would be nice to see room measurements from more people writing about components. Measurements aren’t everything but if a room has a big boost and a DAC seems to have a boost in that frequency range, there may be a correlation. 

You've just uncovered what few realize - the inherent bias in just about every professional and user review unless you know and account for the room's sonic signature which most don't. And probably the most important reason for subwoofers - to match the human ears' audible response curve. 

4x20A circuits | Shunyata Triton + Typhon | Source 1: HDPlex HD100 PSU -> OCX clock + EtherRegen -> Paul Hynes SR4T + HDPlex HD500 PSUs -> Music PC w/JCAT XE nic, HQPlayer, Roon, Tidal / Qobuz |  TotalDAC D1 Twelve DAC + Mk II Streamer | Source 2: Acoustic Signature Ascona with Kuzma 4 Point tonearm | Koetsu Rosewood Signature cart | Pass XP-15 phono pre | Audionet Pre G2 preamp | Audionet Max mono blocks | Vivid Audio Giya Spirits |  4 JL Audio Fathom subs | Echole ICs /SCs / Siltech King jumpers, Shunyata/Audioquest PCs / Eth. Cs | Critical Mass CS2s -> components, Isoacoustics -> speakers + subs | Adona Eris II rack w/ Herbie's titanium footers | Fully treated and dedicated 2 channel room

5 minutes ago, fheller said:

@PYP

I see you are using Sonore Optical Rendu. Do you see advantages compared to the network setup with Roon?

I am looking into external master clocks. Could you recommend any? Would be highly apreciated.

Thank you!

perhaps we should do this via PM instead of on this thread, but just to answer your question:  I use an Optical Module, not the Rendu, so I'm using the Tambaqui as the Roon endpoint.  The Optical Module takes the copper ethernet coming from the in-wall ethernet, and connects via fiber to the eR.  This resulted in better sound quality.  The oM does sound best with its own LPS (what doesn't? Sonore has a few options); therefore going this route adds to box count and clutter.

As far as clocks, my only experience is with the wonderful Cybershaft 13 (not inexpensive, however) and can recommend that one without hesitation.   @JohnSwenson will be publishing a paper that gives guidance on clocks connected to the eR, if I have that right.  I would suggest waiting for his paper to better understand the measurements that are important and the specs which can guide you on how much of an investment in the clock is needed.  AfterDark has its own thread here.  They are offering a range of clocks, some specifically for a 75 ohm eR, and the specs and price look good.  Many folks have purchased a $100 clock from China with excellent results.  You may want to read the clock thread in the UpTone section of this website.  My clock sounds best with an LPS instead of an SMPS and I think the AfterDark and Chinese clocks would be the same.  Again, more boxes, more connectors and more clutter.  Oh, and more money.  ;)

Grimm Audio MU1 > Mola Mola Tambaqui > Mola Mola Kaluga > B&W 803 D3    

Cables:  Kubala-Sosna    Power management:  Shunyata    Room:  Vicoustics  

“Nature is pleased with simplicity.”  Isaac Newton

"As neither the enjoyment nor the capacity of producing musical notes are faculties of the least use to man...they must be ranked among the most mysterious with which he is endowed."  Charles Darwin - The Descent of Man

• 2 weeks later...

A lot of talking and so little on the actual sonic impressions, changes in different setups and DAC comparisons that everyone is eager to learn. Oh well...

1. WiiM Pro - Mola Mola Makua - Apollon NCx500+SS2590 - March Audio Sointuva AWG

2. LG 77C1 - Marantz SR7005 - Apollon NC502MP+NC252MP - Monitor Audio PL100+PLC150+C265 - SVS SB-3000

3. PC - RME ADI-2 DAC FS - Neumann KH 80 DSP

4. Phone - Tanchjim Space - Truthear Zero Red

5. PC - Keysion ES2981 - Truthear Zero Red

• 2 weeks later...
52 minutes ago, fheller said:

I have experience with the Linn Klimax (version 2018) and with the DCS Rossini. I did choose the MolaMola.

Are you able to describe your perceived differences between the Rossini and Mola Mola? Was the Rossini with clock? I have heard the Rossini a number of times with different setups and I've always been consistently impressed. I've only ever heard the Tambaqui once in direct comparison to a PS Audio - in that system I enjoyed the Tambaqui a  lot more - far deeper bass with resolution and good timbre. The Rossini is a considerable cost difference over the Tambaqui although you also have to factor in a streamer/server if you want something other than Roon. I guess the same could be said about the Rossini if you consider the ethernet connection not up to scratch, but the Mosaic platform does provide access to major streaming services, and even spotify connect for access to wider music listening - albeit not higher quality (yet).

Both, The DCS and the Linn are owned by friends of mine.

I was very close buying the DCS before I discovered the MolaMola. The MolaMola just fits my needs connectivity wise. I use Roon for streaming and local files.

I tried also the Etherregen plus OpticalRendu and Audirvana on the MolaMola with USB. I hear no important sound difference between MolaMola network and USB. That option might be interesting with Spotify lossless later in 2021.

The Klimax didnt make the cut due to the limitation to DSD64 and my needs. This is changing now with the newest incarnation of the Klimax. My friend will go for an upgrade and I will have the pleasure to examine it closer.

I dint hear advantades Rossini ove Tambaqui. I did like the soundstage better with the Tambaqui. It is wider for me. But the differences are so small, barely noticable. It is difficult to judge which one is better, simply because the "room" plays a huge part. The Tambaqui didnt loose aginst the Rossini. The same is true the other way round. It might be just personal preference.

And I didnt listen to the Rossini with a seperate clock.

2 hours ago, fheller said:

The Klimax didnt make the cut due to the limitation to DSD64 and my needs.

From Davaar 60 Build 193 (4.60.193), released on 14 Dec 2017, the Klimax (version 2018) is able to do DSD128.

Matt

"I want to know why the musicians are on stage, not where". (John Farlowe)

5 hours ago, fheller said:

I received the Ether Regen some days ago. It does even improve the MolaMola. It helps to open up the soundstage. This, honestly, took me by surprise.

I had the same reaction to adding the eR to my Tambaqui and suggest that any Tambaqui owner who uses the ethernet input give it a try (30 day money-back guarantee, so nothing lost).  Agree with @Gavin1977 that a good LPS elevates the performance further, as does adding an external clock (confirmed by many users).  In my setup, the external clock made the greater contribution.  Looking forward to @fheller's experiences with these two improvements.  

UpTone has dedicated threads here about things to try with the eR and about clocks and the eR, so a lot of information is available.  

Assuming that the eR reduces various kinds of noise going into the Tambaqui, the experiment of adding the eR reveals just how good the Tambaqui is when fed from a clean stream (of course that is true for other DACs as well).

"As neither the enjoyment nor the capacity of producing musical notes are faculties of the least use to man...they must be ranked among the most mysterious with which he is endowed."  Charles Darwin - The Descent of Man

38 minutes ago, fheller said:

For me, the MolaMola Tambaqui is an endgame. It represents exactly what I was looking for.

I feel the same way about my MolaMola amps, especially in the context of providing amplification for the Tambaqui.

In a photo of Bruno providing a demo of his new amplifiers, I noticed he used a Tambaqui.  Makes me think he carries one around in his backpack just in case...

7 hours ago, fheller said:

But the differences are so small, barely noticable. It is difficult to judge which one is better, simply because the "room" plays a huge part. The Tambaqui didnt loose aginst the Rossini. The same is true the other way round. It might be just personal preference.

And I didnt listen to the Rossini with a seperate clock.

Thanks for your comments. I agree, I can hear drastic differences between components but when it gets to a certain level and changes become more subtle then I have to live with a component for some time before switching to pick up those minor differences - I become more accustomed to sound over longer periods. As you say room and different systems play a huge part. 

When I listened to the Tambaqui we initially used a Pink Faun 2.16x over USB with Roon and then switched to using Ethernet. With that quick test I really couldn't hear a huge difference between those two options, which again confirms how good the stock network connection is.