IGNORED

Measurements & Sound Quality

Ralf11

On 12/12/2018 at 2:56 PM, pkane2001 said:

Good luck contacting OEM. Apparently he responds to a chosen few. Talk about poor support. And no warranty provided.

I got it figured out in the end. 

Turns out I just have to drill out the headphone socket, following instructions in this video:

For convenience I drilled one 3.5mm next to the ear for easy access. I plugged in 1/8" jack and immediately noticed 10kOhm load. Great! 1V RMS seems to be correct input voltage. I wonder if I drill one more hole next to it, maybe the system recognize the presence of another socket and switch to balanced mode. 

if you believe in measurements you should first measure effects of music on human brain.

if you could not model ear/brain by mathematics then you never find why measurements are far from our brain response.

if your brain react positive to a tube amplifier (5% THD) and it reacts negative to solidstate amplifer (0.00001% THD) then typical Audio Society measurements are not related to good sound..

I think Audio is Black Art and there is very very very limited real knowledge about relation of good sound and objective measurements .

for example i hate balance cables, i prefer RCA (un-balance) cables , i never found any reason for that. theory says the balance is far better than rca but my ears say rca is better.

i think most of the time (not all the time)  measurements are opposite of good sound.

check this :

https://www.stereophile.com/content/audio-note-cd-41x-cd-player-measurements

Audio note DAC measurements is not ideal .

check this real monster :

https://www.stereophile.com/content/weiss-dac202-firewire-da-converter-measurements

weiss is super accurate , more accurate than120k$ dcs or msb . weiss measurements is ideal.

but when you listen to them in a good high efficency speaker you can not enjoy weiss.

I agree Audio note is not ideal under 100hz and weiss is better for bass and i agree the AN distortion limits the transparency in complex music like huge classic orchestra but we could find a way to improve AN DAC but i will not go for weiss. most of those ideal measurements kill music.

On 12/14/2018 at 5:56 PM, Ryan Berry said:

I'd obviously tend to disagree here.  Especially when we're involved in a hobby that gets down to using material A vs. material B for shelves and components, whether cables need to be elevated off the ground, whether speakers need spikes, etc. to achieve the best sound quality.  We tweak our systems constantly to get that (what we perceive) 1% better sound.  So the idea of not comparatively listening to the different pieces available seems a bit ludicrous to me, especially considering how the closer to the source you go, the bigger the effect tends to be on the overall sound of the system. 

The reason there's so few shops, in my opinion, is because it's a very specific market.  Similar to the reason we don't have nearly as many camera shops as we once had, convenience has supplanted quality for the general public when it comes to audio.  It's more convenient to shop online than it is to go into a store and deal with a salesperson, so most consumers will gladly give up quality for ease of completing a transaction.

Does better sound equal true fidelity?

10 minutes ago, Jud said:

Particular distortions will bother different people to different extents. So you can learn the measurements that correspond to different distortions, and also which distortions matter more to you (and which less).

Particular distortion will usually show on more than one measurement method. Crossover, for example, is bound to be visible on spectrum and on the waveform. However my point was to exercise the hearing perception more on discerning these effects, the same way as mastering engineers learn to recognize a particular frequency band where a fix might be necessary. This also helps for communication with others - "this speaker is catching resonances around 800Hz", better than "something in the low-mids sounds funny". 

Next step might be perfect pitch. :D

My point was to exercise this sense, as however imperfect it may seem, it's certainly possible to better it. 

2 examples of euphonic distortions:

1. slight fall in SPL vs. freq. sounds better to most listeners based on tests by JBL, et al.

2. even order distortion in amp stages (tho it is not clear to me that this has been rigorously tested, nor that it sounds better than no distortion at all)

I would like to know what the measurements are for a veil being lifted?

I have seen "a veil was lifted" a thousand times,  but I have never seen the measurements.

Perhaps we can have a group of golden ears listen while one parameter at a time is changed.  When they go: "Aha, a veil was lifted", measurements can be taken.

Boycott Warner

Boycott Tidal

Boycott Roon

Boycott Lenbrook

5 hours ago, marce said:

Does better sound equal true fidelity?

It does if it is more realistic. IOW sounds more like acoustic music heard in person in a live setting.

5 hours ago, Miska said:

IMO, things must measure well and sound good at the same time. I cannot accept either alone.

I agree completely with this! 

Good measurements and sound that sounds and feels realistic from naturally made recordings is what I desire.

I have dementia. I save all my posts in a text file I call Forums.  I do a search in that file to find out what I said or did in the past.

I still love music.

Teresa

5 hours ago, iaval said:

A good exercise might be to learn how a particular distortion sounds like (in exaggerated simulated scenario), and use that knowledge to confirm which measurement to use to confirm it. 

Very true, but some of the worst offenders can't be easily 'canned' - that is, switched on and off to one's hearing, in a neat, controllable package.

Just take all the varieties of digititus - fans of analogue well know the irksome qualities of digital sound "not being quite right" - examples being a dull, listless presentation; or detail being lost in a "black hole"; or a persistent, disturbing edginess. These are all valid distortion artifacts; but how does one create a nicely predictable sample of each of these anomalies?

7 hours ago, fas42 said:

Very true, but some of the worst offenders can't be easily 'canned' - that is, switched on and off to one's hearing, in a neat, controllable package.

Just take all the varieties of digititus - fans of analogue well know the irksome qualities of digital sound "not being quite right" - examples being a dull, listless presentation; or detail being lost in a "black hole"; or a persistent, disturbing edginess. These are all valid distortion artifacts; but how does one create a nicely predictable sample of each of these anomalies?

Isolating the elements is vital for proper identification and study. If those effects are real, there should be some reliable method of confirmation.

Once isolated, then try to figure out what's going on. 

10 minutes ago, iaval said:

Isolating the elements is vital for proper identification and study. If those effects are real, there should be some reliable method of confirmation.

Once isolated, then try to figure out what's going on. 

Agreed. Unfortunately, in the thirty odd years since we've have directly used digitally stored source in playback situations there has been scant interest in precisely assigning various causes to the "ills" of digital sound. At one point a catch-all misbehaviour was assigned: jitter - but this is a poor choice, IMO.

IME lack of engineering robustness at a system level is a key factor, as evidenced by the fact that interatively introduced strengthening and workarounds, in the various parts of the chain, resolve these SQ issues.

45 minutes ago, fas42 said:

interatively introduced strengthening and workarounds, in the various parts of the chain, resolve these SQ issues.

Usually not without introducing other problems. 

45 minutes ago, fas42 said:

"ills" of digital sound

I'm a bit unclear on this - digital in this context is meant as PCM? 

The biggest problem with the CD era music IMHO is that dreaded loudness war, and the fact that many artists can't even render lossless track out of their DAWs and therefore supply labels with MP3s. 

13 hours ago, Ralf11 said:

2 examples of euphonic distortions:

1. slight fall in SPL vs. freq. sounds better to most listeners based on tests by JBL, et al.

2. even order distortion in amp stages (tho it is not clear to me that this has been rigorously tested, nor that it sounds better than no distortion at all)

A little too much even order distortion may result in a slightly too warm sound.

Australian designer Hugh Dean ( AKSA from DIY Audio) once tailored his solid state amp's residual distortion products to sound more like a vacuum tube amplifier.

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

Just reading through this and too many individual responses to quote but ...

I agree that measurements are essential but which ones? Folks tend to measure what us easy which means what their scope is already programmed. The “typical” THD measurements don’t tell the picture nor are the only measurements available. 

Probably don’t need to delve into sensory neurophysiology and trying to math model the brain.  We know about electric physics really really well. 

So ... as has been suggested : I’ve been listening to a lot of live music recently and there are two types:

1) acoustic unamplified: the acoustics of the room/hall are important as well as accurate reproduction. 

2) amplified blues/rock etc... what makes this sound live? I get the sense the amplification equipment has a fair amount of distortion: large Class D etc arrays of speakers as well as on stage tube guitar amps. 

So really the question should be: what in our living room is lacking that a live concert has? Send that signal to the brain ;) 

Custom room treatments for headphone users.

55 minutes ago, jabbr said:

So really the question should be: what in our living room is lacking that a live concert has?

The playing together. Must be about PRaT or something.

Anyway, I more or less frequently reported that "we" now are waiting for the applause at the end. It doesn't come ? then it's a studio recording after all.

IOW: I think this sensation can be there all right. But don't ask me what it takes to get it there, technically. Better balance ? Anyway it must be about better quality of some sort; the fact that the quality seems to be improving is, ... a fact.

I think it resembles the being startled about a baby in the room while none is there. These are the first signs of such an improvement towards the live happening. Next comes breaking glasses, dropping boxes, rain inside of the room and name it.

Of what I perceive of it, it is also related to how one is able to envision the (singing etc.) position of the artist.

Of course it is all related to naturalness. But, this is only a symptom. Still it encourages for envisioning "live". The real live recording does not require that much. This already started out with applause, or singing along, etc.

Lush^3-e      Lush^2      Blaxius^2.5      Ethernet^3     HDMI^2     XLR^2

XXHighEnd (developer)

Phasure NOS1 24/768 Async USB DAC (manufacturer)

Phasure Mach III Audio PC with Linear PSU (manufacturer)

Orelino & Orelo MKII Speakers (designer/supplier)