IGNORED

Measurements & Sound Quality

Ralf11

15 hours ago, Em2016 said:

Is the current line of AP measurement gear already as sensitive/accurate/precise as  our ear/brain system?

I know some will say yes but I guess my next question to them is how do you know?

Specifically the AP measurement gear commonly used for our gear - not NASA's or Intel's measurement gear.

In most ways measurement gear is far more sensitive, accurate and precise.  However, for detecting patterns in signals, as distinct from detecting the signals themselves, the ear/brain is so far much better at most of this.  (Though AIs are making inroads - for example, there's a phone app that detects what stage of sleep you're in [REM, light sleep, deep sleep, lying awake] acoustically.)

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

No, I'm not.  I do have an interest in sensory physiology however.  There are 2 guys on here who would be closest to that, but I will let them drop by and post if they want.

A further complication is that sensory- or neuro-physiology of the auditory system quickly get you involved in cognitive issues, so then you need a cognitive psychologist.

Ultimately, it is all about fizziology anyway...

12 hours ago, iaval said:

Some did, they'd say "use your ears", but I can't even find the service manual for that to check for input parameters. I tried all sorts of plugs, all sorts of configurations, impedances, standards and Vrms but I'm still getting no sound, only microsonics from the unstable connection. So I figured the best way to enjoy music is with a scope. 

Perhaps you were plugging into the wrong end of the horse. :)

"Relax, it's only hi-fi. There's never been a hi-fi emergency." - Roy Hall

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - William Bruce Cameron

Irrespective of what measurements can be made or how good the measurements are, they can only serve the purpose of showing the capability of the equipment to produce good SQ.  There is no guarantee that an equipment with very good specification in all aspects can produce good SQ that appeals to everyone.  IMHO, the choice of equipment is more subjective than objective though we may deceive ourselves that we made an objective decision.

MetalNuts

4 hours ago, MetalNuts said:

There is no guarantee that an equipment with very good specification in all aspects can produce good SQ that appeals to everyone.

That should be so because the specifications are not high enough.

Not that I could come up with anything ...

Lush^3-e      Lush^2      Blaxius^2.5      Ethernet^3     HDMI^2     XLR^2

XXHighEnd (developer)

Phasure NOS1 24/768 Async USB DAC (manufacturer)

Phasure Mach III Audio PC with Linear PSU (manufacturer)

Orelino & Orelo MKII Speakers (designer/supplier)

On 12/11/2018 at 9:11 PM, Ralf11 said:

Which aspects of or factors in sound quality have no measurements that correspond to them?

Which do ?

Lush^3-e      Lush^2      Blaxius^2.5      Ethernet^3     HDMI^2     XLR^2

XXHighEnd (developer)

Phasure NOS1 24/768 Async USB DAC (manufacturer)

Phasure Mach III Audio PC with Linear PSU (manufacturer)

Orelino & Orelo MKII Speakers (designer/supplier)

Good topic.  While we can measure signals extremely accurately, how that translates to how the unit is going to sound is often not as straightforward.  It gets really complicated when you run into places where the "less perfect" measurement is what sounds better to everyone that's heard the unit - which tends to happen quite a bit.  All of a sudden, shopping by specifications in a magazine ends up being relatively meaningless, which is only frustrating to most people.  Being able to eliminate potential candidates before going through the effort of listening to them certainly has it's draw, but I think that people end up missing out on some of the best sounding products on the market shopping for specs like that.

President

Ayre Acoustics, Inc.

10 minutes ago, Ryan Berry said:

It gets really complicated when you run into places where the "less perfect" measurement is what sounds better to everyone that's heard the unit - which tends to happen quite a bit.

Since people do tend to latch on to certain patterns as being "right," is the fault in the better-measuring unit, or in the people who haven't listened to better measuring units enough, so that the "right" pattern doesn't correspond to the "accurate" one?  Or are the measurements not those that correspond to what most people match to the pattern that says "real"?

Is a puzzlement.

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

20 minutes ago, Jud said:

Since people do tend to latch on to certain patterns as being "right," is the fault in the better-measuring unit, or in the people who haven't listened to better measuring units enough, so that the "right" pattern doesn't correspond to the "accurate" one?  Or are the measurements not those that correspond to what most people match to the pattern that says "real"?

Is a puzzlement.

It's a good question and not one easily answered, I think.  For me, it comes down to a bit of both, really.  There's some elements that are "impure" that people associate with good-sounding music that can give an product that doesn't look as good on paper an edge: the pops of the needle as it moves through the groove on a record, that "musical" sound of your favorite amp that ends up being distortion, etc.  But then there's also a point where designing something to be as measurement-perfect as you can make it turns out being something that just isn't pleasant to listen to, no matter how long you try and live with it.  Having taken more than a few R&D units home to try and live with a potential product for a few weeks that looked great in measurements, I'm convinced there's just some things that there's no getting used to. 

Often, it just doesn't sound natural.  Sessions are often cut short with you feeling exhausted after spending any decent amount of time listening to it, whereas something tuned to sound as good as possible with the measurements being secondary (not ignored!) winds up with wanting to spend hours playing music.  Occasionally, they both line up and you have something that sounds AND measures good, which further confuses matters.  I can only speak from our experience, but I doubt that we're unique in experiencing this.  It makes high-end an interesting market.  People love to shop online any more, but it really takes going into a shop and comparing different products to really know you're making the right call.  The gear isn't cheap, for the most part, so I think we owe it to ourselves to do more than compare some numbers on a spec sheet and call it good enough.

President

Ayre Acoustics, Inc.

4 hours ago, Ryan Berry said:

It's a good question and not one easily answered, I think.  For me, it comes down to a bit of both, really.  There's some elements that are "impure" that people associate with good-sounding music that can give an product that doesn't look as good on paper an edge: the pops of the needle as it moves through the groove on a record, that "musical" sound of your favorite amp that ends up being distortion, etc.  But then there's also a point where designing something to be as measurement-perfect as you can make it turns out being something that just isn't pleasant to listen to, no matter how long you try and live with it.  Having taken more than a few R&D units home to try and live with a potential product for a few weeks that looked great in measurements, I'm convinced there's just some things that there's no getting used to. 

Often, it just doesn't sound natural.  Sessions are often cut short with you feeling exhausted after spending any decent amount of time listening to it, whereas something tuned to sound as good as possible with the measurements being secondary (not ignored!) winds up with wanting to spend hours playing music.  Occasionally, they both line up and you have something that sounds AND measures good, which further confuses matters.  I can only speak from our experience, but I doubt that we're unique in experiencing this.  It makes high-end an interesting market.  People love to shop online any more, but it really takes going into a shop and comparing different products to really know you're making the right call.  The gear isn't cheap, for the most part, so I think we owe it to ourselves to do more than compare some numbers on a spec sheet and call it good enough.

I think you have the circle of confusion problem Toole has written about however. 

Most recordings are very compromised and tuned for the gear used in its recording and production.  The best cleanest highest fidelity reproduction of that often is not going to sound the best.  Not because measured linear results are somehow antithetical to musicality.  Just the whole polluted point of reference problem.  

I remember way back when comparing the same recordings on LP, CD, and reel to reel pre-recorded tape years ago.  Consensus was and in some areas is vinyl LP is the standard reference of musical great sound.  To my and my friend's surprise RTR and CD in the early days sounded very close to each other in general balance.  LP was the odd man out, way out.  Sometimes this was good, sometimes it wasn't, but it was clearly the most compromised medium.  

So do I make a product that is great with LP and fuss over the unmusicality of better measuring gear? I wouldn't.  It seems only a matter of degree vs making cassette an analog reference or 8 track.  LP could be better than those, but it wasn't a high fidelity medium like early RTR.  LP is more like the MP3 of its time.  

For most gear you really don't need to go into a shop.  That is why there are so few shops.  If the gear is clean and genuinely of high fidelity to the input.  You don't need to hear it. 

(exceptions are transducers.  On the replay end of it speakers.  You do need to hear speakers.)

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

30 minutes ago, esldude said:

For most gear you really don't need to go into a shop.  That is why there are so few shops.  If the gear is clean and genuinely of high fidelity to the input.  You don't need to hear it. 

You would be well advised to also check the reviews on several different sites, and don't buy just based on measurements and claims by the manufacturer/distributor. 

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

6 hours ago, iaval said:

Different question - would sighted listening test with a switchbox be accounted as statistically valid as long as the listener is not aware of which switch position corresponds to which tested gear?

Yes, that's "blinded" - in fact I would think double blinded, since neither the test administrator (you) nor the test taker (also you) knows which item is being heard each time.

4 hours ago, esldude said:

So will the dealer have your shelving material, and cable elevators, and spikes and speakers you have?  And if you are comparing two components suppose the shelving material perfect for component A is the wrong one for component B.  I don't see how this makes any sense.  If it all is so touchy and easily effected a dealer is even less useful.  You'll have to buy something and see what you can make of it to know. 

Consumers have always valued ease of transactions and use.  That is why LPs sold in the millions and RTR tape in the thousands only.  RTR was the higher fidelity medium, but LP was cheap and convenient. 

Usually not, but a good number of dealers will let you demo a unit in your system, so you can get a real idea of what a few units will sound like in how you have your area set up.  That's essentially a non-option shopping online, even with satisfaction guarantee programs.  Demoing even a few units in your home will always be better than buying a product for its sound based on what its specs read on paper.  A lot of the dealers have been in this industry for quite a long tome as well, so they can help set up your room to sound its best.  Buying online won't get you that...but it is quick.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that it's the only way to get into high end.  We offer online sales for some of our products because we know there's people that just don't want to go into a store or don't live near one, but buying high-end components online is much like buying a car online -- you're really just taking a blind shot and hoping the reviews are right, because you're going to convince yourself you made the right choice either way.

President

Ayre Acoustics, Inc.