IGNORED

Everything sounds the same

mansr

38 minutes ago, lucretius said:

So, no more issues with mad cow?

Me again ... ( @diecaster, watch out now) ...

I live in (Holland in) a village with 1800 people. It is the very village where the mad mad cow disease emerged. Am I famous or what. Notorious me.

34 minutes ago, Shadders said:

No, was only an issue for 1 year in 2001.

Maybe it was one year, but it wasn't 2001. It was 2000. In that year I drove the WRC Rally of Great Britain and I recall the extra (disinfection) hurdles we needed to take everywhere.

Oh, that hobby doesn't combine well with audio, although in the car you'd talk through microphone and headphones to each other. Kind of 120dBSPL noise around you ...

Also, that hobby is more expensive than audio. Way more.

Lush^3-e      Lush^2      Blaxius^2.5      Ethernet^3     HDMI^2     XLR^2

XXHighEnd (developer)

Phasure NOS1 24/768 Async USB DAC (manufacturer)

Phasure Mach III Audio PC with Linear PSU (manufacturer)

Orelino & Orelo MKII Speakers (designer/supplier)

8 minutes ago, PeterSt said:

It is the very village where the mad mad cow disease emerged.

I wanted to say ... emerged first. But I come back here to say that I can't even find proof that this is so. It is only that I know it from back then.

In retrospect - seeing how people have written about it - it would be very difficult to state where this BSE really began. I read something like 1980 and a ridiculous incubation time (which is 2 years minimum to begin with).

XXHighEnd (developer)

29 minutes ago, gmgraves said:

Finally, the classic Neapolitan pizza is called the pizza Margarita

Apologies for being pedantic, but as long as we're talking about "the real thing," I believe that's Margherita. 

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

6 minutes ago, Jud said:

as long as we're talking about "the real thing," I believe that's Margherita.

MasterMergherita01.thumb.png.e00c73c09898441de942a65ad539d1a8.png

... from Switzerland.

Must be the Italian speaking part of it. :eek:

XXHighEnd (developer)

2 hours ago, gmgraves said:

Real Neapolitan pizza is cooked in wood-fired ovens that are kept at around 900 degrees F. 

Oh there are so so many debates ... so this: https://pepespizzeria.com/about/

Interestingly, and folks from CT will verify, despite recreating the original ovens brick by brick, the new locations have never been able to equal the original in terms of flavor. The theory is that the wooden shelves where the dough is stored create an environment for the yeast ... the new sites use metal shelves as the wood was "grandfathered" in ...

In any case the pizza in the Northeast USA has little local diversities and passionate adherents e.g. wood vs coal ovens, Neopolitan vs Sicilian, etc etc etc., much like my experience in Italy where moving down the coast from just over the Monaco border all the way down, the pizza changes, slightly, from town to town.

Now BBQ in the states, mostly the south ... same regional differences e.g. eastern vs western North Carolina pulled pork... just keep the pressure cooked mass produced and then slathered in corn syrup ribs away from me! I look for a stack of wood out back before driving in ...

all good fun ;) 

Custom room treatments for headphone users.

2 hours ago, jabbr said:

Oh there are so so many debates ... so this: https://pepespizzeria.com/about/

According to the "Neapolitan Pizza Association" a true Neapolitan pizza must be cooked in a domed brick oven with a wood fire at a temperature of around 480 degrees C. 

2 hours ago, jabbr said:

Interestingly, and folks from CT will verify, despite recreating the original ovens brick by brick, the new locations have never been able to equal the original in terms of flavor. The theory is that the wooden shelves where the dough is stored create an environment for the yeast ... the new sites use metal shelves as the wood was "grandfathered" in ...

That's interesting. Things like that are often unexplainable. Like being unable to replicate the sound of a Stradivarius violin in spite of copying one exactly - down to the wood used and where the wood came from and drying the wood just like Stardivari, using the same glue, and replicating the same varnish using beetle carapaces from the same species harvested from the same area. They still don't sound alike!

2 hours ago, jabbr said:

In any case the pizza in the Northeast USA has little local diversities and passionate adherents e.g. wood vs coal ovens, Neopolitan vs Sicilian, etc etc etc., much like my experience in Italy where moving down the coast from just over the Monaco border all the way down, the pizza changes, slightly, from town to town.

Well, next to a Margherita made by the Pizzeria Da Michele in Naples (supposedly the best pizza in the world and where I fell in love with that style of pie), Some of the best pizza I've ever eaten was in Manhattan and New Jersey. I was visiting NYC on business one time and my company's rep took me to a tiny shop near Washington Square (IIRC) run by an elderly Italian gent - there was no else there that I could see! Pizza was by the slice, and vended through a service window out to the street. There was no place inside to sit down. We ate ours on a park bench! The rep said it was the best pizza in NYC and suggested that I order just plain tomato and cheese, so I did. It was, without a doubt, the best tasting pizza I had ever eaten in the USA. There is much to be said for North-eastern US pizza. It's not Italian pizza, but it is delicious. Here in the Reno Area where I now live there are two pizzerias that serve a similar pie to the NYC type: One is a quite nice restaurant called Grimaldi's (like the Royal House of Monaco), I'm told it's a chain, but boy they do it right, and serve an excellent NY-style pie. The other is a hole-in-the-wall place in a strip mall simply called NY Pizza. They make only one size pie, a huge 21 inch affair. If you don't want a whole one, you buy it by the slice just like in NYC. It too is excellent. I have found that if the crust is "right" and the sauce is good and made with quality EV Olive oil and the cheese is high quality, I don't gots to have no steenkin' toppings. In fact fully loaded pizzas are, in my opinion a coverup for mediocre crust and sauce. (Dominos, Pizza Hut, Round Table, Little Caesars', et al) If you don't believe me, try a Dominos some time with just tomato sauce and cheese. I'll bet you that you won't like it!

2 hours ago, jabbr said:

Now BBQ in the states, mostly the south ... same regional differences e.g. eastern vs western North Carolina pulled pork... just keep the pressure cooked mass produced and then slathered in corn syrup ribs away from me! I look for a stack of wood out back before driving in ...

I was born in Virginia and have always been a fan of good pork BBQ. In Richmond, where I was born, there is a chain of "hickory pit" barbecue places called "Bill's BBQ". To me that remains the gold standard for eastern Carolina style Q. They use a vinegar based sauce, no tomato and they chop the pork. They serve it on square "hamburger" buns with a mound of coleslaw on each sandwich with their own cider vinegar based hot sauce. Simply heaven on earth. Haven't had one since 2005 though when I was back there for my Moms funeral. I froze several big carry-out tubs of the stuff and packed it in my suitcase to bring it back with me to Silicon Valley where my friends fell on it like the barbarian hordes on Rome! 

2 hours ago, jabbr said:

all good fun ;) 

It certainly is!

George

wow - epic thread!

some tidbits:

Asian restaurants are quite common on the West Coast of the US (Pacific Rim) 

The origins of ketchup (and even of catsup) came up at a French dinner here some years ago - despite the amount of wine consumed, I recall that when one guy looked it up on his phone it turned out to be derived from Chinese hoisin sauce...

Only a very few restaurants in the US produce authentic Neapolitan Pizza (according to the one here, which is certified and was (or is) inspected by the Neapolitan Pizza Police, TSZ Division).  One requirement is to use imported San Marzano tomatoes.  Also real Mozzarella (Buffalo milk) is required.  The flour and yeasts used are both special.

NY style pizza is an offshoot of the above.

The deep dish pies they make in Chicago can be good, but are not pizza!

Finally, tomato sauce is not a traditional Italian sauce.  It is a newcomer from the Americas...

4 minutes ago, Ralf11 said:

The origins of ketchup (and even of catsup) came up at a French dinner here some years ago - despite the amount of wine consumed, I recall that when one guy looked it up on his phone it turned out to be derived from Chinese hoisin sauce...

According to the dictionary: "Late 17th century: apparently from Chinese (Hokkien dialect) kê-chiap ‘brine of pickled fish or shellfish’, perhaps partly via Malay kecap, kicap ‘soy sauce’."

1 hour ago, gmgraves said:

According to the "Neapolitan Pizza Association" a true Neapolitan pizza must be cooked in a domed brick oven with a wood fire at a temperature of around 480 degrees C. 

First of all, let's not assume that the only pizza style is Neapolitan. Aside from Italy, there is a robust Greek style of pizza (cooked in an oiled pan as opposed to directly on brick) as well as coastal french "Pissaladière" which is very similar to Ligurian. Neither classically use tomatoes, and as has been said, the ubiquitous use of tomato sauce is probably American. Then there is classic Sicilian pizza which has a thicker crust, and often topped with caramelized onions. Baked into a square disk, and given rise to pizza styles: Detroit, Providence RI and probably what morphed into Chicago deep dish.

That said, I'm going to open up this thread "All things don't taste the same" ? https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2009/sep/13/best-foods-in-the-world

I will note that #31 Best Pizza is Pepe's in New Haven which I referenced above, and Worlds second best (Frank Sinatra's favorite) is/was "Sally's" which is/was right next door ;) , across the street they claim to have invented the calzone -- who knows...

Custom room treatments for headphone users.

11 minutes ago, jabbr said:

First of all, let's not assume that the only pizza style is Neapolitan.

I find most talk of what is or isn't "real" pizza rather silly. If you like it, eat it, even if it has pineapple.

13 minutes ago, jabbr said:

Neither classically use tomatoes, and as has been said, the ubiquitous use of tomato sauce is probably American.

Tomatoes were introduced to Europe in the 16th century, but did not become commonly used in Italian cooking until the late 17th or early 18th century. Although tomatoes were cultivated by Aztecs, their use did not spread to North America until the 18th century. By now, the tomato can probably be considered traditional in both Italian and American cuisine. I doubt it is recorded who first incorporated tomato sauce in a pizza-style dish.