IGNORED

16 bit files almost unlistenable now...

3 minutes ago, danadam said:

So if that didn't change then technically even with lifetime subscription you are still renting. You only have a promise that you will own it if the company goes under.

Yeah. you'll certainly own it when there is nobody left to collect the "rent". 

4 minutes ago, danadam said:

In another words, what's the difference? To me it is: does it work without internet connection or not?

No, Roon doesn't require the internet to work, but it does rely on it for some features. If they went under, certainly that part of the program that does require the Internet would, of course, disappear. 

George

16 minutes ago, danadam said:

So if that didn't change then technically even with lifetime subscription you are still renting. You only have a promise that you will own it if the company goes under.

“Is there not promise of rain?” Ling Tan asked suddenly out of darkness. There had been need of rain for many days. “Only a promise,” Lao Er said. -- Pearl S. Buck, Dragon Seed

1 hour ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

The one part that can't be purchased is all the licensed material that makes Roon so compelling. As you know Roon pulls in all kinds of images and metadata. Even if one purchases the lifetime subscription for $500, it doesn't guarantee the app will function as it does now in the future. 

Not a big deal for most people, but something to consider. 

And don't you need to add HQ Player to get the best sound quality?

"Science draws the wave, poetry fills it with water" Teixeira de Pascoaes

HQPlayer Desktop / Mac mini → Intona 7054 → RME ADI-2 DAC FS (DSD256)

28 minutes ago, semente said:

Oops. I wasn't aware that I need that !

Do I ?

;)

Lush^3-e      Lush^2      Blaxius^2.5      Ethernet^3     HDMI^2     XLR^2

XXHighEnd (developer)

Phasure NOS1 24/768 Async USB DAC (manufacturer)

Phasure Mach III Audio PC with Linear PSU (manufacturer)

Orelino & Orelo MKII Speakers (designer/supplier)

2 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

The one part that can't be purchased is all the licensed material that makes Roon so compelling. As you know Roon pulls in all kinds of images and metadata. Even if one purchases the lifetime subscription for $500, it doesn't guarantee the app will function as it does now in the future. 

Not a big deal for most people, but something to consider. 

I bought a "lifetime" subscription to XM satellite radio in the early days when they were wanting money.  About 2 years later I bought a new car, and at that point Sirius XM was relatively flush and didn't need to worry.  They tried to tell me my "lifetime" subscription was for the "lifetime" of my ownership of the original vehicle for which I first got service.

"Owning" something tends to discourage such foolishness on the part of the vendor.  (It doesn't eliminate it entirely, as with Amazon and some Kindle books.)

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

2 hours ago, gmgraves said:

Yeah. you'll certainly own it when there is nobody left to collect the "rent". 

No, Roon doesn't require the internet to work, but it does rely on it for some features. If they went under, certainly that part of the program that does require the Internet would, of course, disappear. 

Are you saying that it still provides some features even when you are logged out? I don't know, I don't use Roon, but those answer seem to suggest otherwise:

From Running Roon without WiFi or an Internet Connection:

Tekl: Does the liftime license also need occasional connections?

Yes, of course. If it didn’t, that would be a loophole for pirates.

Tekl: What happens when Roon can’t connect?

It will log you out of Roon.

Tekl: Will it be unusable?

Yes.

From CORE Functionality OFF LINE-aka No Internet:

The number is 30 days. Roon software requires an internet connection, but supports going offline for up to 30 days. This is a core part of our license checking system. You may not be able to see how this works but the pirates can.

51 minutes ago, Jud said:

I bought a "lifetime" subscription

I can't understand how to fund development, researching, make product better and support it with "lifetime" subscription.

AuI ConverteR 48x44 - HD audio converter/optimizer for DAC of high resolution files

ISO, DSF, DFF (1-bit/D64/128/256/512/1024), wav, flac, aiff, alac,  safe CD ripper to PCM/DSF,

Seamless Album Conversion, AIFF, WAV, FLAC, DSF metadata editor, Mac & Windows
Offline conversion save energy and nature

1 minute ago, audiventory said:

I can't understand how to fund development, researching, make product better and support it with "lifetime" subscription.

They do not plan on offering the lifetime subscription in perpetuity. Once that subscription is removed, the yearly subscription will be the only option. I suspect as soon as enough people avail themselves of the lifetime subscription, it will be pulled. What is "enough"? Only the Roon higher ups know that.

10 minutes ago, danadam said:

Are you saying that it still provides some features even when you are logged out? I don't know, I don't use Roon, but those answer seem to suggest otherwise:

From Running Roon without WiFi or an Internet Connection:

All I remember from my trial is that Roon goes out on the internet to get things like album art and other meta-data. It doesn't use a web browser, but it does need an internet connection. But then iTunes has to go get those things off the internet too if you don't buy your music from the iTunes store (and who does that? iTunes bought music sounds wretched!)and rip it from your CD collection. Of course even if you do buy your music from Apple, you need an internet connection for that as well. 

17 minutes ago, danadam said:

The number is 30 days. Roon software requires an internet connection, but supports going offline for up to 30 days. This is a core part of our license checking system. You may not be able to see how this works but the pirates can.

See, now that, I didn't know. I only used the trial version for about a week and didn't know that you can only go 30 days without an internet connection before Roon cuts you off at the ankles (or whatever they do). 

George

17 minutes ago, audiventory said:

Believe me, they don't rely on lifetime "subscriptions" for their cash-flow. I suspect most customers pay yearly (do they allow that $100/year to be paid monthly?). 

George

3 minutes ago, gmgraves said:

See, now that, I didn't know. I only used the trial version for about a week and didn't know that you can only go 30 days without an internet connection before Roon cuts you off at the ankles (or whatever they do). 

It's called DRM, and there's a reason we don't like it.

1 hour ago, PeterSt said:

Do I ?

;)

Do you use Roon's processing engine?

"Science draws the wave, poetry fills it with water" Teixeira de Pascoaes

HQPlayer Desktop / Mac mini → Intona 7054 → RME ADI-2 DAC FS (DSD256)

3 hours ago, audiventory said:

It's a funding mechanism when a company is starting out and needs a lot of capital quickly, to expand in order to gain critical market share and visibility.

So XM offered "lifetime" subscriptions (can't remember whether they were $300 or $500) when a regular subscription was $12 a month to get capital to build its business.  Then as @diecaster predicts regarding Roon, when XM had sufficient capital they no longer offered lifetime subscriptions.  Once your business has the needed capital, you're correct, Yuri, a lifetime subscription is no longer desirable.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Fair enough.

I rented Roon for a year. Everything it did, it did very well. But for me (admittedly not using its multi zone capabilities etc.) there were no must-haves to warrant the cost. I suspect many will think likewise once the honeymoon period wears off and predict problems with their business model. Back to A+ upgraded to v3. 

7 hours ago, mansr said:

It's called DRM, and there's a reason we don't like it.

OK, maybe I'm being a bit dense here, but could you explain what a policy of only allowing a user to access Roon without a Internet connection for 30 days before shutting them down has to do with Digital Rights Management?  

George

9 hours ago, gmgraves said:

Believe me, they don't rely on lifetime "subscriptions" for their cash-flow. I suspect most customers pay yearly (do they allow that $100/year to be paid monthly?). 

Just to be clear what your paying for:

2B3A9164-DC19-4105-B8EE-54898BD0F060.jpeg

11 hours ago, PeterSt said:
12 hours ago, semente said:

10 hours ago, semente said:
11 hours ago, PeterSt said:

Do I ?

;)

Do you use Roon's processing engine?

No ? Why would I (or anyone) need that ? (question is serious - nothing sarcastic)

Lush^3-e      Lush^2      Blaxius^2.5      Ethernet^3     HDMI^2     XLR^2

XXHighEnd (developer)

Phasure NOS1 24/768 Async USB DAC (manufacturer)

Phasure Mach III Audio PC with Linear PSU (manufacturer)

Orelino & Orelo MKII Speakers (designer/supplier)

11 hours ago, audiventory said:

I'm guessing it was a good way for them to pull in more cash at the start. Maybe they won't offer it forever.

I got a lifetime subscription with a "Christmas discount" their first year (no longer available), so it pretty much has paid itself off already and I'll be getting Roon for "free" from the end of the year.  I think I made a good deal for myself. 

Sure on these types of things you take a small risk, but even at the full price of $499, you would be getting close to your break even point in another year if you jumped in at the start,  and as long as they stay in business your yearly average cost just keeps going down. 

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protectors +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Protection>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three BXT (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)