IGNORED

Article: My Quest for a New DAC - Introduction to the Series

2 hours ago, rickca said:

I'm excited to see this series of articles.  @austinpop has written some excellent evaluations of SOtM components.  His contributions are always very well written and thorough.  I'm convinced he has good listening skills and I trust his advice.

Not just SOtM components!! But thanks for the kind words.

2 hours ago, rickca said:

It makes sense to pick a price range ... there are zillions of DAC's out there and no target budget is going to satisfy everyone

Bingo. And as I stated, this is my quest, so the only one I'm satisfying for sure is me. :D

Folks, writing reviews on CA isn't my new "job." I'll submit a review or article as and when I have something meaningful to say.

4 hours ago, OldBigEars said:

@Austinpop nice introduction - should be an interesting series.  My only concern is that you may be tempted to gravitate towards the $5000 'budget' that you appear to have in mind, as if price correlates to sound quality performance.  My career in consumer products marketing (together with my audio hobby) tells me to be deeply suspicious of this assumption.  You may well find all the DAC you need or want at $1000, if you can only put cost at the back of your mind.  I would find it much more revealing if you could use your analytical  skills to determine how much SQ actually improves as you climb the price ladder from products like the RME ADI-2 and Mytek Liberty through various Schiits, Exasounds and Benchmarks.  You obviously can't test everything but I hope you can offer a range of cost perspectives.  My prediction is massively diminishing returns as you increase expenditure. 

Well, I'm not signing up to analyze dozens of DACs, but I do understand your point! 

Let's wait for the first review to come out, and see what you think. My intent is to focus on comparative impressions, to highlight the differences, and to your point, put into context what value the extra $$$ are providing. Or not.

2 hours ago, Norton said:

This looks good.   I’d say your situation is reasonably close to mine so I will be interested to see what you choose.

My sense is that there is comparatively  little at the $3k>$5k mark that is MQA capable, either much less or much more.  Maybe timing will allow the Pro iDSd to be considered, on the assumption that it will be MQA capable?   Also interesting to see whether you conclude that a “full” MQA DAC is worthwhile or better just to stick with initial decode.  

Good luck with the quest.

Yes, I'm hoping to get a look at the Pro iDSD, since it accepts an external PSU, accepts an external 10 MHz reference clock, among other things. 

2 hours ago, davide256 said:

Not surprising to see experience with vinyl duplicated with digital...source is the most important part of the chain for investment. @austinpop - one thing I am curious about is if you have any sense of priority observed in upgrading individual functions in the source chain? And yea, its hard to justify a new DAC when you know the source can do more with a next upgrade. Eager to see what you share on DAC's

Hi Dave,

Yeah, my path to where I am in my system has been rather convoluted, largely because it was a process of discovery for me, and been guided by the valuable discoveries of many others here on CA. Even now, I would hesitate to prioritize, as everything matters! There are multiple, somewhat correlated, axes of improvement, and rich sonic rewards accrue if you optimize along these multiple axes, which include:

1. AC power
  2. DC power supplies
  3. grounding
  4. clocking
  5. regeneration/signal integrity

The "A novel..." thread is the place where this has been chronicled over the past 16+ months.

Not limited to a budget of $5k, but nevertheless one of the best DAC's posts (with over 4k replies) I've followed is this one:  https://forum.audiogon.com/discussions/absolute-top-tier-dac-for-standard-res-redbook-cd?sort_order=desc

If anyone here hasn't seen this, it is a good read....

My prediction is massively diminishing returns as you increase expenditure. 

Unfortunately, for the most part, this quote is a theorem in this hobby as with most others, where the question of price verses performance is concerned.  I say unfortunately, because my wallet wishes it weren't so.  For most of my audiophile life, I didn't delve deeply into the very high-end cost wise.  But once I crossed a particular milestone, I realized I wasn't getting any younger.  So, I began thinking that if I didn't extend my budget then, I may never have the opportunity to.  Hence, while my overall health and more importantly my hearing acuity were as good as they would ever be, I jumped into the very high-end first with amplification and later with other components and have never regretted  it.  

But I do totally agree that price and results are oftentimes anything but correlative, which I suppose is one of the main reasons why we're involved with and interested in forums such as this.  

Lastly, Austinpop, I look forward to reading what you uncover on your quest, thanks for sharing....

-Mike

11 minutes ago, mrmb said:

Not limited to a budget of $5k, but nevertheless one of the best DAC's posts (with over 4k replies) I've followed is this one:  https://forum.audiogon.com/discussions/absolute-top-tier-dac-for-standard-res-redbook-cd?sort_order=desc

If anyone here hasn't seen this, it is a good read....

Unfortunately, for the most part, this quote is a theorem in this hobby as with most others, where the question of price verses performance is concerned.  I say unfortunately, because my wallet wishes it weren't so.  For most of my audiophile life, I didn't delve deeply into the very high-end cost wise.  But once I crossed a particular milestone, I realized I wasn't getting any younger.  So, I began thinking that if I didn't extend my budget then, I may never have the opportunity to.  Hence, while my overall health and more importantly my hearing acuity were as good as they would ever be, I jumped into the very high-end first with amplification and later with other components and have never regretted  it.  

But I do totally agree that price and results are oftentimes anything but correlative, which I suppose is one of the main reasons why we're involved with and interested in forums such as this.  

Lastly, Austinpop, I look forward to reading what you uncover on your quest, thanks for sharing....

Thanks! And you raise a brilliant point - there comes “a certain age” where you realize that if you really want to experience the high end in audio in the time you still have your health and hearing, opening the wallet - assuming you can afford it - is warranted. And justifiable.

And an understanding spouse!

18 minutes ago, austinpop said:

there comes “a certain age”

Like a midlife crisis, only later.

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

austinpop-

What's your max budget MSRP for the DAC? You mentioned $5000, is that it?

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

5 hours ago, austinpop said:

there comes “a certain age” where you realize that if you really want to experience the high end in audio in the time you still have your health and hearing, opening the wallet - assuming you can afford it - is warranted. And justifiable.

And an understanding spouse!

Yes Indeed.

6 hours ago, austinpop said:

this is my quest, so the only one I'm satisfying for sure is me. :D

Yes Indeed.

Sound Minds Mind Sound

@austinpop I look forward to reading your next installment and this entire series (along with your findings). 

This introductory installment foreshadows your investigative nature, the history of your journey and upgrades and evaluation process very well. 

From following your posts and reviews of products on CA over the past couple of years, I have no doubt in your capability and qualifications to provide us CA members with unbiased and well written reviews of the DAC’s you trialed for this series! 

I am already looking forward to your next series after this one is completed :) 

Congratulations! 

1 hour ago, austinpop said:

That's the ballpark. It's not a wall, just a target.

I auditioned numerous DACs about a year ago, up to about $10000 ones.

My favorite was the Playback Designs Merlot, that sells for $6500. But it does come up used occasionslly as people trade up. Might be worth auditioning

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

16 hours ago, austinpop said:

Nothing's wrong with my current DAC. In fact, I love it dearly, as you'll see in the subsequent review. 

But I'm always looking for more and trying new things. I confess I have the itch! Without the upgrade itch, CA wouldn't be nearly as active as it is. :)

I understand gear lust, but not so much with audio equipment. Since one usually doesn't buy audio gear for "features" - ie, it does this, and my current one doesn't do it (though MQA is an exception) - I don't find myself wanting to spend more money for some mythical "better sound" that I have been trained to think is inherent in a higher price. I do have gear lust for, say, cameras, where you know what is better about a different model: the features are clear and measurable. 

And I'm not criticizing; I just asked the question because, in your article, you didn't say that there was anything wrong with your current DAC (other than MQA), so I thought it would be interesting to know why you wanted to buy something better. 

I look forward to following your thinking through this series. 

I write about Macs, music, and more at Kirkville.

Author of Take Control of macOS Media Apps

Co-host of The Next Track podcast.

I look forward to your review of the Brooklyn DAC+. The DAC+ pushed all the right buttons for me. I refuse to pay more than $2500 for a DAC out of general principles. It has MQA and a phono stage, as I plan to buy a turntable later this year. Vinyl is calling to me again. There will always be something more expensive to obsess over; the DAC+ works for me. I even bought the Mytek Liberty to use at work.

As I fully understand you will not be able to test all proposed dacs (let alone all the dacs within budget available on the market), it would be very interesting to understand what are your criteria to select the ones you are going to test.

Will it be criteria such as free loan by the manufacturer, or are there some distinct criteria that would 'encourage' you or CA to buy a DAC for testing purposes. Should dac's be distributed in the US, via traditional dealership (as Sterophile does) or do you accept worling directly via the internet with e.g. a South-African (just to say something different than chinese) manufacturer.

Or would it be based on looks and design, on a pure personal basis?

What I am trying to say here, that the selection process is as important as the actual tests and reviews as well.

Looking forward to your opinions on this?

Dirk

Very interesting topic! Thanks for sharing @austinpop

I have a feeling for that price range you mentioned, you will go back to Ayre QX-5 Twenty. That's what I have. Yes, it's not MQA, but I was told it can be upgraded with a firmware upgrade at home, with no need to send it back to Ayre. That is if Ayre decides to integrate MQA, which is not a given.

Yes, I know it is a hair below $9,000 for full blown version, but maybe you can get a version with less inputs, and perhaps a "friendly" dealer willing to cut you some slack.