IGNORED

What is the highest monthly amount you would be willing to pay to keep TIDAL HIFI?

How much would you pay to keep Tidal Hifi?  

50 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

What is the highest monthly amount you would be willing to pay to keep TIDAL HIFI? 

Negative reports have been published in the media about TIDAL recently. It is known that TIDAL have yet to make money; which puts them at risk of shutting down. TIDAL subscribers would then lose the service. It is reasonable to assume TIDAL would need to charge more to keep the company viable.

For those who subscribe to Tidal HIFI (CD QUALITY) what is the maximum monthly amount you would be willing to pay to keep the service?

2 minutes ago, psjug said:

I voted for highest choice but I would have no problem with $50/mo.  I listen to a LOT of music this way.  But I use Deezer CD quality - I assume you mean a service like Tidal HIFI in your poll?

Sure, any other CD quality service like TIDAL is ok for the poll. How many exist? I only know of TIDAL and Deezer. 

check this out:

Tidal appears to have MQA only music now.  

Perhaps the thread of this should be changed to "How much are you willing to pay to keep Tidal MQA?"

Hey MQA, if it is not all $voodoo$, show us the math!

Right now , no more money from me until the company can prove its stable, honest about subscribers  and also meeting its obligations to the artist. . You don't give more money to a company that's not stable and that stability starts at the top with Jay Z. .

The Truth Is Out There

At most less than € 10 because even if TIDAL offer me a slightly more suitable catalog, Quobuz.com Sublime subscription offers lossless streaming for € 220/year (HighResAudio.com € 250 for real HiRes streaming), additionally significant discounts on real HiRes downloads and HiRes streaming of the purchased downloads. I usually purchase the music I like in best available quality and with the Qobuz or HRA discounts on downloads, my annual savings are much higher than the costs of the subscription. 

Zero.

When CommunistCast drops the 5 US dollar “regional sports charge” from my monthly bill, a charge for something I do not watch and which I have no interest in watching. I will change my vote to 5$ per month.

Come-on people,  we were supposed to have digital convergence!   This subscription model is killing us.

In any dispute the intensity of feeling is inversely proportional to the value of the issues at stake ~ Sayre's Law

The question isn’t (to me at least) how much one would be willing to pay for a lossless streaming service, but much more how much premium one is willing to pay over lossy streaming. I’ve rapidly voted 30 bucks above, but to be fair if yo can get MP3 streaming at 10 dollars a premium of 3x maybe is a bit hefty, as I anyhow tend to buy what I really like, streaming is really a discovery tool for me. 

Obviously no one knows so far if 10$ is actually a sufficient amount for an ad free streaming service to ever make money (unless like Amazon you could potentially cross-subsidize it). 

13 minutes ago, maxijazz said:

Real value of music is in music, not in amount of bits. 

This is true. As far as I’m concerned tidal can die. I’ll still search out and find new music, and if I like it, I buy it. The “all you can eat” subscription model is just wrong, and its crippling new artists. You’re paying for nothing. Far better to support a service like Bandcamp.

How much to never see the worse in hip hop in the new releases/recommended? Huge Tidal fan, but it does need better targeting of different consumers. Name sucks too - many people hear it as "Title." Most just draw blanks. 

SERVER CLOSET (in office directly below living room stereo):NUC 7i5BNH with Roon ROCK (ZeroZone 12V on the NUC)>Cisco 2690L-16PS switch>Sonore opticalModule (Uptone LPS 1.2)>

LIVING ROOM: Sonore opticalRendu Roon version (Sonore Power Supply)> Shunyata Venom USB>Naim DAC V1>Witchhat DIN>Naim NAP 160 Bolt Down>Chord Rumor 2>Audio Physic Compact Classics. OFFICE: opticalModule> Sonore microRendu 1.4> Matrix Mini-i Pro 3> Naim NAP 110>NACA5>KEF Ls50's. BJC 6a and Ghent Catsnake 6a JSSG ethernet; AC cables: Shunyata Venom NR V-10; Audience Forte F3; Ice Age copper/copper; Sean Jacobs CHC PowerBlack, Moon Audio DIN>RCA, USB A>C. Isolation: Herbie's Audio Lab. 

I think the current tiered pricing model shaking out in the industry right now is about right:

$0 = lossy streaming supported by ads

$10 = lossy streaming

$20 = lossless streaming

I certainly wouldn't pay any more.

John Walker - IT Executive

Headphone - SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable Ethernet > mRendu Roon endpoint > Topping D90 > Topping A90d > Dan Clark Expanse / HiFiMan H6SE v2 / HiFiman Arya Stealth

Home Theater / Music -SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable HDMI > Denon X3700h > Anthem Amp for front channels > Revel F208-based 5.2.4 Atmos speaker system

I see Tidal and MQA as being symbiotic.  If Tidal goes down, MQA doesn't have a quarter of the reach it currently does.  

Most of the music I like is very expensive and hard to get in CD or lossless form (and hardly ever in high res).  Tidal, for whatever reason, has a lot of what I like and it really is a value for me at least.  I'd probably shell out another $10 a month before I switched to something else for "discovery" and then purchased what I liked.  

Hopefully, Qobuz makes it to the US because they sell lossless downloads at decent prices.  Speaking of.... that could be the nail in the coffin for Tidal. 

$0.10 per song for one week license to play

$1.00 per album for one week license to play

$1.00 per song for perpetual license

($0.25 extra per song for download)

$10.00 per album for perpetual license

($2.50 extra per album for download)

Or something like that.