IGNORED

OT: Share your hobbies beyond being an audiophile

7 hours ago, accwai said:

Driving at the limit is walking on tightrope. So of course you're in harm's way. But can't get the objectivists to agree with anything without numbers right? So we have the data in the second video. This forum isn't named Audiophile Science for nothing you know... Oh I get it! You mean the *people* in harm's way:

This sort of thing is one of my favourites ...

3 hours ago, Ralf11 said:

Thanks!  It is a 3.2L that has been hot-rodded in various ways.  The car now has about 2x the power as when original.  Soe have gone for more power but as a man of moderation an old car with 9:1 hp:wt seems adequate.

Here is a newer pic - the red was too garish and I discovered the rain hats were heavy so I replaced the thick steel with CF.  Then I discovered the CF could distort allowing dirt into the motor so I added some thin hexcell under them.

engine gray fan CF carb hats MSD box from above.JPG

Still a beaut! I have to take half my interior apart to see the top of my engine... Someday I will have an air-cooled 911, someday...

No electron left behind.

• 2 weeks later...

Share your hobbies beyond being an audiophile: I am afraid I have to deviate a bit from the topic 😳. Besides sailing, mountaineering, snow shoeing, ski touring and all that, there are times when the weather does not permit any of the outside hobbies. Again, being a recently retired scientist, I cannot stop my mind not to think along science terms. During my professional life, I used to use a lot of scripting in R to statistically validate our data. The last few years I pondered if MatLab wouldn't be the more suitable software for our purpose, but I never had the time of getting to know it. Now that I have time, I am making my first steps into MatLab by analysing my precious audio files at hand.

The first file I had a look at is Bill Evans' 'You go to my Head', the legendary concert in the Black Forest recorded in 1968, but released only in 2016. A marvel of a concert! I first loaded the file, an AIFF file/96 kHz/24 bit into MatLab and tried to display the left and right channel waveforms separately. Voilà, after some trying, and with a lot of on-line forums, I managed to display the two channels separately (see screenshot).

It's fascinating playing with these audio files. I do not understand all the details behind it, but I'll go on with MatLab to do some further spectral analysis, etc. Real fun for rainy days!

The code, if someone is interested, is very simple:

>> [y,fs] = audioread('You_Go_to_My_Head.aiff'); % y = samples, fs = sampling frequency

>> l = y(:,1); % left channel

>> r = y(:,2); % right channel

>> t = linspace(0, length(y)/fs, length(y)); % linspace creates the time vector

>> figure;

>> subplot(2,1,1); plot(t,l, ‘b’); title('Bill Evans/You Go to my Head/Left Channel'); xlabel('time(s)'); ylabel('Amplitude'); % plots the left channel in blue to the top panel

>> subplot(2,1,2); plot(t,r,’r’); title('Bill Evans/You Go to my Head/Right Channel'); xlabel('time(s)'); ylabel('Amplitude') ;% plots the right channel in red to the bottom panel

You_Go_to_My_Head.jpg

• 2 months later...