IGNORED

Best CPU for hqplayer

sbenyo

@Miska I know you like the Fractal cases.  Fractal just announced the Define 7.  Just a few refinements over their previous cases.

https://www.fractal-design.com/introducing-define-7-and-define-7-xl/

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

45 minutes ago, zouyu513 said:

What cpu can hand off DSD256 ASDM7EC upsampling and convolution for DSD128 and DSD256 sources at the same time.

Take a look in my new project 😉

On 2/21/2020 at 10:41 AM, StreamFidelity said:

1.3 Intel Core i9-9900K (95W TDP), 3.6GHz - 5.0GHz OctaCore - HD Graphics 630

The CPU is well known to me for its stability and smooth operation. The new flagship i9-9900KS would also have been nice, but since the 5GHz clocking across all cores is not possible with a passive-cooled system, the i9-9900K remained. With this CPU, conversions from PCM to DSD 512 or the use of EC modulators for DSD 256 are no problem at all with the HQPlayer. 

@zouyu513 

CPU i9-9900KS is cooled passively? Respect.

What temperature does the CPU reach?

1 minute ago, StreamFidelity said:

z 

CPU i9-9900KS被动冷却?尊重。

CPU达到什么温度?

When I run ASDM7EC+xtr+DSD256 upsampling from 44.1/48k with convolution,it automatically turbos to 4.5g and may reach its temperature wall.

But when I run 7EC+xtr+DSD256 upsampling from DSD128,it automatically turbos to 5g,but can not run smoothly with convolution(cpu load is not high and temperature is also not high). 

5 minutes ago, Solstice380 said:

@zouyu513 Welcome and thank you for sharing your beautiful build!  Much effort for the power supply.  Good priority!  Would love to have you note the different locations of components in your boxes.  It’s full of good stuff!

Ditto, and I am particularly curious about the PCB on the floor of the PS. I assume it is an ATX start up, and what do the clocks run?

Forrest:

Win10 i9 9900KS/GTX1060 HQPlayer4>Win10 NAA

DSD>Pavel's DSC2.6>Bent Audio TAP>

Parasound JC1>"Naked" Quad ESL63/Tannoy PS350B subs<100Hz

2 hours ago, StreamFidelity said:

CPU i9-9900KS is cooled passively? Respect.

Definitely!  But it appears to not be enough with the reported temperature and apparent throttling issues.  Getting the PSUs and converters out of the chassis is a definite help.  

@4est  I think I see a 24MHz clock there for USB.  Not sure on the other one. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, luisma said:

Jussi the Xeon you want to get will it outperform (in your opinion) the i9-9900K?

I don't know. But it fulfills my requirements for my workstation refresh:

- Support for ECC RAM

- Support for AVX-512 instructions

- Quad channel memory bus

- MInimum 8 cores

- Highest base clocks

- At least 32 PCIe lanes

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

According to my  limited experience with building a cheap Xeon CPU running  HQPEmbed System for testing , which can only do DSD128 7EC ext2 , I only use ordinary DDR3 RAM and a switch PSU ...

After doing settings  I  remove the graphic card and use an Android Tablet to control,  the SQ is very good!

I think Xenon CPUs without build-in graphic chip may play a key role to produce superb SQ!

The HQPe is installed onto a ramboot Debian Buster OS which I have compiled specifically.

For me, point of the new Xeon would be to replace my aging Xeon E5 development workstation. It would continue to use RTX2080 GPU and normal graphical desktop. Idea is that it would be able to run ASDM7EC to DSD256 which my current development workstation cannot. Would make development quite a bit easier. Also it would be faster doing builds...

3 hours ago, Miska said:

For me, point of the new Xeon would be to replace my aging Xeon E5 development workstation. It would continue to use RTX2080 GPU and normal graphical desktop. Idea is that it would be able to run ASDM7EC to DSD256 which my current development workstation cannot. Would make development quite a bit easier. Also it would be faster doing builds...

Great! 

If playing audio files on local PCIe NVMe SSD will have much better SQ than via NAS !

• 4 weeks later...

I am considering possibly moving to HQ Player. Just built a new desktop pc ten months ago based around an AMD Ryzen 7 2700 processor, and 16gb of RAM. At that point HQ Player wasnt in the picture. Will that processor and memory run DSD256 upsampling and the filters in HQ Player without any issues? Thanks.

JC 

4 hours ago, TubeLover said:

I am considering possibly moving to HQ Player. Just built a new desktop pc ten months ago based around an AMD Ryzen 7 2700 processor, and 16gb of RAM. At that point HQ Player wasnt in the picture. Will that processor and memory run DSD256 upsampling and the filters in HQ Player without any issues? Thanks.

Probably not the EC modulator variants, but the regular modulators and filters likely work fine. But please use the free trial to test how it works in your case.