IGNORED

Best CPU for hqplayer

sbenyo

7 hours ago, kelvinwsy said:

The Intel 2.5gbe LAN Chip on the Gigabyte series of MB is defective firmware. Could not get it to recognize the link up with HQPlayer and my SOTM Ultra Neo NAA. While sorting this out, re-used my TPlink and a new USB C to Ethernet Adapter in Bridging Mode SOLVED the problem.

Gigabyte has firmware update for it.

On the Z490 Vision D motherboard I'm using the 2.5G Intel interface for network and it works fine (connected to a managed HPE switch).

The 1G Intel port is unused, WiFi turned off.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

I just changed over to an AMD Ryzen 7 3700X on Gigabyte B550 Aorus Elite from Intel i5 6600K on a Asrock Z170 OC Formula.

The change is not subtle. With HQPlayer on Sync-M and poly-sync-short-mp, the Intel struggled at 50% CPU. With the AMD, the CPU usage is 14%.

My DAC is a Topping D90, I changed the rate to 44.1 x 512, no sweat, CPU is at around 25% and no drop-out.

What a platform for HQPlayer!!

Michael T

Melbourne

PowerConditioning: PS Audio UPC-200; Hdplex 300W

Server: Windows 2019-CORE+AO3+Jriver24/HQPlayer 

Source: Mytek Brooklyn Amp: Audio-GD C501, AVA Set 120

Speakers: Spendor SP2, Tannoy Saturn S10

Desktop: W10+Topping D90+Stax  SRS3100

4 hours ago, mtan002 said:

I just changed over to an AMD Ryzen 7 3700X on Gigabyte B550 Aorus Elite from Intel i5 6600K on a Asrock Z170 OC Formula.

The change is not subtle. With HQPlayer on Sync-M and poly-sync-short-mp, the Intel struggled at 50% CPU. With the AMD, the CPU usage is 14%.

My DAC is a Topping D90, I changed the rate to 44.1 x 512, no sweat, CPU is at around 25% and no drop-out.

Can you confirm if ASDM7EC works up to DSD256? With Multicore DSP set to auto (grayed) or fully enabled (checked).

I'm thinking of upgrading my fanless i5-7600T machine to 3700X on B550 motherboard to be able to run ASDM7EC to DSD256 at 65W TDP (Streacom FC10 case).

6 hours ago, Miska said:

Can you confirm if ASDM7EC works up to DSD256? With Multicore DSP set to auto (grayed) or fully enabled (checked).

I'm thinking of upgrading my fanless i5-7600T machine to 3700X on B550 motherboard to be able to run ASDM7EC to DSD256 at 65W TDP (Streacom FC10 case).

Miska

I just ran your config. Sorry it didn't work. Dropped out every few seconds. Multicore DSP on auto.

No issue with ASDM7.

Cheers

hqp.jpg

I lower to DSD128, still no good.

Tead my posts on my new server config ! Comfortsble setting for ASDMEC7 DSD256

is 4cores at 5ghz!

TDW is high I see from Xtreme Tuning at about 105 watt setting at DSD128 on my 6700k 4.7 ghz on 1st 2 cores and 2x 4.4 ghz on the other 2 cres and 125watt at DSD256 on my new 10700k server. 5.1 ghz on 1st 4 cores

U need massive copper CPU heat block and heat pipes to take care of this . My 6700k was at the likit 72-74 deg C 

With my big 360mm triple fan radiator, my 10700k cpu chip is a cool 58-60deg C on polysinc xtr lp fiters

So a passively cooled Case smd CPU will not do EC7 DSD256

3 hours ago, kelvinwsy said:

Comfortsble setting for ASDMEC7 DSD256

is 4cores at 5ghz!

I think that's an exaggeration. For a 2-channel system (stereo) it is sufficient if two cores run at 4GHz. A CPU should not run extreme. In my experience, the sound becomes too nervous and harsh.

U need massive copper CPU heat block and heat pipes to take care of this .

This is right.

So a passively cooled Case smd CPU will not do EC7 DSD256

I don't think so. Look: 

I would love to try a Hdplex hest pipe solution but using an AIO is  a easy liw cost approach to

my first build ! 

If your 9900k passive cooled server works than great! 
I will probably try thst as my bext build! 

My basic point is that the 6th/7th/8th generation K Intel chips do need higher OC freq to tun DSD128 EC7 and reslly struggles with DSD256/EC7.. 

So let the music play on👍

18 hours ago, Miska said:

The upcoming 4700G APU sounds promising. It has less L3 cache, but according to this leak it will overclock better due to the monolithic nature of the CPU. So maybe it will be better at running ASDM7EC to DSD256. 

4 hours ago, Miska said:

Any difference if multicore is set to fully enabled?

I used BIOS to overclock by about 10% and the ASDM7EC on DSD128. It still drops out though not as frequent. It stutters every 10 second or so. So no good in my view. I went back to ASDM7

Cheers.

4 hours ago, Rune said:

The upcoming 4700G APU sounds promising. It has less L3 cache, but according to this leak it will overclock better due to the monolithic nature of the CPU. So maybe it will be better at running ASDM7EC to DSD256. 

Zen 3 based ones are supposed to be better overall with reduced communication latency between cores and better efficiency per clock. We'll see!

1 hour ago, Miska said:

Zen 3 based ones are supposed to be better overall with reduced communication latency between cores and better efficiency per clock.

Ryzen 2700X, 3700X and 3900X memory access latencies are around 75 ns. The current Intel processors achieve about 50 to 60 ns. While AMD has reduced internal latencies, the memory interface and memory still have higher delays than the competition. Source: Hardwareluxx

4 hours ago, StreamFidelity said:

Ryzen 2700X, 3700X and 3900X memory access latencies are around 75 ns. The current Intel processors achieve about 50 to 60 ns. While AMD has reduced internal latencies, the memory interface and memory still have higher delays than the competition. Source: Hardwareluxx

I think it is not the memory access alone, but cross-core communication and synchronization times when CCX boundary is crossed. Within same CCX it is closer to Intel, but across CCX's it seems to be quite a bit more. But I've understood Zen 3 is supposed to change this.

Update:

The Elfidelity DDR4 Ram Filters do mess up with HQplayer Optimization. Same lesson learnt on my 6700k - Removed it and I can do with 2 channels of RAM memory 4.3Ghz Overclock all cores and can play even polysinc - xtr without any stutter. I ordered another 2 x8 gb HypeX Ram - I think I can repeat what other have found. 4.1/4.2 Ghz all cores OC and can do all the EC7/DSD256/All filtes except the big Sinc M/L filters -which needs a 11gb Ti GPU to offload the filters.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/19/2020 at 4:31 AM, Miska said:

I think it is not the memory access alone, but cross-core communication and synchronization times when CCX boundary is crossed. Within same CCX it is closer to Intel, but across CCX's it seems to be quite a bit more. But I've understood Zen 3 is supposed to change this.

Do you think the new Ryzen 7 pro 4750G could do 256/EC?

It is peak at 4.4G, performance better than 3700X with no cross CCX design.

15 hours ago, salaryman said:

Do you think the new Ryzen 7 pro 4750G could do 256/EC?

It is peak at 4.4G, performance better than 3700X with no cross CCX design.

I will try it, or some other 4xxx series model when they become available here. It is impossible to estimate, just trying it out will tell...

On 7/30/2020 at 7:41 PM, Miska said:

I will try it, or some other 4xxx series model when they become available here. It is impossible to estimate, just trying it out will tell...

I get a set of Ryzen Pro 4750G + Asrock B550itx phantom gaming for testing

Win10+HQPlayer Desktop 460 + IFI Micro BL

1) poly_sinc_ext2 + ASDM7EC + Mutlicore DSP ON + Adaptive multirate ON

With Default no CPU treak ---> drop out a lot

Need to overclock CPU to 4.2GHz with 1.28Volt, everything smooth

2) Then move on ploy_sinc_xtr_mp

Need to add more, CPU to 4.25GHz, 1.30V to make it smooth

Use a Arctic 12cm tower heatsink fan, CPU temp keeps around 60deg

Its much better than my previous 3700X + X570 where overclock to 4.8G still get drop out

hqplayer4250_xtr.jpg