IGNORED

Best CPU for hqplayer

sbenyo

7 minutes ago, Rune said:

I just ordered the i9-9900KS 😎

I was originally planning to get a Ryzen 3950X, but after testing 3600X I am not 100% convinced that the 3950 will be able to do ASDM7EC DSD256.

That is good to know.  Which Mobo are you planning to use?

I also have high interest in this CPU, but still deciding on key components.

11 hours ago, Yviena said:

New KS version has worse IPC than earlier version due to hardware security fixes though...

Who cares when it over all is a faster CPU.

These in-silicon fixes have been rumored to impact instructions per cycle (IPC) throughput, and we logged a few performance regressions compared to the Core i9-9900K during our first round of tests. After re-flashing the motherboard BIOS and deploying a larger suite of tests, we found that the regressions weren't as pronounced as we initially recorded.

Most of the performance hit is related to SMT (HyperThreading) which is not really used much by HQPlayer, except on dual-core machines.

BIOS update is related to CPU microcode update. Assuming older CPU models (BIOS) are also updated to use the latest microcode security updates, the performance implications should be similar on both K and KS.

I have gone through several CPU microcode updates on my servers, but I have not noticed any performance changes for HQPlayer due to such. I have noticed that latest Linux kernels are again faster, due to improvements and optimizations on security fixes related to the CPU flaws. Many of the flaws are also as much related to AMD CPUs. Actually fixing those flaws in CPU hardware itself instead of microcode and kernel code, should make the performance hit much smaller than it would be with all the firmware and software workarounds. However, this requires also that the operating system detects that the CPU has fixes in place and doesn't therefore anymore apply also those software workarounds. I would assume this to happen at least for Linux kernel 5.4 release and likely that gets also propagated to 4.9/4.14/4.19 LTS kernels. Not sure if for example Windows has already been updated to recognize that newest CPU models have got fixes for some of the hardware flaws and thus don't anymore need costly workarounds.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

QNAP TS453Pro w/QLMS->Netgear Switch->Netgear RAX43 Router->Ethernet (50 ft)->Netgear switch->SBTouch ->SABAJ A10d->Linn Majik-IL (preamp)->Linn 2250->Linn Keilidh; Control Points: iPeng (iPad Air & iPhone); Also: Rega P3-24 w/ DV 10x5; OPPO 103; PC Playback: Foobar2000 & JRiver; Portable: iPhone 12 ProMax & Radio Paradise or NAS streaming; Sony NWZ ZX2 w/ PHA-3; SMSL IQ, Fiio Q5, iFi Nano iDSD BL; Garage: Edifier S1000DB Active Speakers  

On 10/31/2019 at 6:48 AM, Rune said:

I just ordered the i9-9900KS 😎

I was originally planning to get a Ryzen 3950X, but after testing 3600X I am not 100% convinced that the 3950 will be able to do ASDM7EC DSD256.

I have 3700X.  It can do ASDM5EC,  xtr-mp, DSD256 virtually free of any problem with Audiolinux at base Freq.  This is 8 cores while a 3950X is 16 cores.  

5 hours ago, teera_ash said:

I have 3700X.  It can do ASDM5EC,  xtr-mp, DSD256 virtually free of any problem with Audiolinux at base Freq.  This is 8 cores while a 3950X is 16 cores.  

I can also do ASDM5EC on 3600X with cuda offload, but I cannot do ASDM7EC even when overclocking all cores to 4.35 GHz.

It does not seem to use more than 4 cores, so more cores does not seems to be the answer.

Rumors says that the 3950X will not do much better than 4.3GHz on all cores. It is still a beast everything except HQPlayer.

By the way I received my  i9-9900KS but no joy. I am sill waiting for the rest of the parts for my build.

56 minutes ago, Rune said:

I received my  i9-9900KS but no joy. I am sill waiting for the rest of the parts for my build.

I also started to acquire components for this build.  Hope you will get all your components soon, hopefully this CPU, when OC to 5.1GHz or 5.2GHz, will do DSD512 with ASDM7EC.

EC 512 will continue to be impossible unless miska reaches a breakthrough in parallelization or CPU reaches 7-8ghz clocks which is unlikely as higher density nodes are actually shrinking in frequency, the way forward is IPC, and architecture/parallelization unless we reach some breakthrough in materials like grapheme/nano carbon tubes.

• 3 weeks later...
43 minutes ago, Rune said:

I have now build my server and guess it is unnecessary to mention that it does ASDM7EC DSD256 with all filters.

The build consist of:

Intel i9-9900KS

Asrock Z390 Phantom Gaming-ITX/ac

Corsair DDR4 PC3200 16GB kit CL16 Vengeance CMK16GX4M2B3200C16 (just because it was cheap)

And Arctic Liquid Freezer II 120mm liquid cooler.

Silverstone Sugo SG05-Lite

Corsair SF750 PSU SFX (overkill, I have not measured usage over  200W)

And the Liquid cooler is actually less noisy than my Noctua  NH-D15 in my Desktop computer.

I have now bought a HQPlayer Embedded, and stream from Roon to NAA on a RPI 4 which is rock solid.

I use dietPi because the NAA image did not work.

Very nice build.  What is the CPU temp range running ASDM7EC DSD256, and what OS are you using with this setup?

17 minutes ago, Rune said:

I am using the bootable from USB Embedded image.

What command should I use to get a CPU temp reading?

It varies a bit depending on hardware.

Motherboard temperature can be seen usually with

cat /sys/devices/virtual/thermal/thermal_zone0/temp

Divide by 1000 to get temperature in Celsius.

Same way CPU temps can be seen with

cat /sys/devices/platform/coretemp.0/hwmon/hwmon0/temp1_input
cat /sys/devices/platform/coretemp.0/hwmon/hwmon0/temp2_input

...and so on. To know what each of the temperature points mean, use

cat /sys/devices/platform/coretemp.0/hwmon/hwmon0/temp1_label
cat /sys/devices/platform/coretemp.0/hwmon/hwmon0/temp2_label

...and so on.

These are also in 1/1000th of Celsius.

If the CPU core temperatures give errors, try loading the coretemp module first with

modprobe coretemp

21 minutes ago, randytsuch said:

How do you read individual core percentage utilization?

I was using top, but that gives me a total, not per core, so I get something like 340% and no idea how each core is used.

There's also "htop" included that is a bit more flexible than the bare bones "top".

I have just taken measurements on Embedded running ASDM7EC DSD256, popy-sinc-mqa-mp 

after 40min I get CPU temp readings jumping between between 41-68  and most of the time around 64-66.

CPU usage is around 185%

4 minutes ago, Rune said:

I have just taken measurements on Embedded running ASDM7EC DSD256, popy-sinc-mqa-mp 

after 40min I get CPU temp readings jumping between between 41-68  and most of the time around 64-66.

CPU usage is around 185%

Sounds quite normal figures. On my Xeon E5, idle is around 36 and under heavy load 63. You can look what "temp1_crit" says, that tells the maximum (critical) temperature specified for the CPU. For my E5 that is 96 degrees.

34 minutes ago, Rune said:

temp1_crit is 115 degrees

and temp1_max is 97 degrees

Ok, so you are well away from the limits then! Hot summer can bring up some 10 deg extra, but it is still well below. For me on E5 max is 86. (Xeons are usually rated for constant 100% loads, while Core CPUs are likely designed for lower average 24/7 loads)

Today I tried to use hqp asdm7ec xtr-filter at dsd256.  The sound clipped around 30 seconds interval on my Ryzen 7 3700X overclocked.

It was almost worked without cuda off load.  But when I looked at the cpu load, it indicated that only the first 7 threads were utilized at 35%-70%.  While threads 8-16 were used less than 1%.  Temperature hit 72°C.  I used Auddiolinux and Win10 may balance threads better with multi cpu cores enabled?

Is there a way to better balance threads load? 
39 minutes ago, teera_ash said:
Today I tried to use hqp asdm7ec xtr-filter at dsd256.  The sound clipped around 30 seconds interval on my Ryzen 7 3700X overclocked.

It was almost worked without cuda off load.  But when I looked at the cpu load, it indicated that only the first 7 threads were utilized at 35%-70%.  While threads 8-16 were used less than 1%.  Temperature hit 72°C.  I used Auddiolinux and Win10 may balance threads better with multi cpu cores enabled?

Is there a way to better balance threads load? 

Sounds like it is working pretty much as it should. 3700X has 8 cores, sibling threads are left for the OS and other applications.