IGNORED

Best CPU for hqplayer

sbenyo

On 12/22/2019 at 2:04 PM, teera_ash said:

Are there any consumer CPUs that can upstream most demanding hqp configurations? Threadripper, Xeon?   Is there anything else that I should try on bios settings, AL setups and HQP configurations?

As far as I know, you can come up with configurations that won't run on any currently available hardware, regardless of price. Consumer or otherwise.

So it really depends on what you want to do. Highest performance combinations are ones with latest most powerful Nvidia RTX GPU's (like RTX 2080Ti) combined with highest possible clocks speed CPUs (at the moment i9-9900KS allowing 8 cores at 5 GHz).

Still won't run all imaginable configuration combinations. Optimal hardware depends on the particular settings wanted. If you want 32 channels of 384k PCM is different than if you want 2 channels of DSD1024.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

18 hours ago, Miska said:

As far as I know, you can come up with configurations that won't run on any currently available hardware, regardless of price. Consumer or otherwise.

So it really depends on what you want to do. Highest performance combinations are ones with latest most powerful Nvidia RTX GPU's (like RTX 2080Ti) combined with highest possible clocks speed CPUs (at the moment i9-9900KS allowing 8 cores at 5 GHz).

Still won't run all imaginable configuration combinations. Optimal hardware depends on the particular settings wanted. If you want 32 channels of 384k PCM is different than if you want 2 channels of DSD1024.

I want asdm7ec, xtr, 2 ch dsd512 from my hardware: Ryzen 3950x, 3600mhz ram, rtx 2070 super.  I couldn't with various settings and options as explained above.  The best I can do is dsd256 which only utilized around 15% of my CPU load and more than half of CPU's threads were idle.

18 hours ago, teera_ash said:

I want asdm7ec, xtr, 2 ch dsd512 from my hardware: Ryzen 3950x, 3600mhz ram, rtx 2070 super.  I couldn't with various settings and options as explained above.  The best I can do is dsd256 which only utilized around 15% of my CPU load and more than half of CPU's threads were idle.

Yes, I'm not aware of any hardware that can do EC modulators at DSD512. Number of cores don't help on that. Getting more clock speed does. Since DSD256 requires about 4 GHz clock speed and doubling rate doubles the load, you'd need about 8 GHz CPU clock to get DSD512...

5 hours ago, teera_ash said:

Thanks Miska.  That is also my understanding.  In fact my 3700x can do 7EC modulator, dsd256 running at 4.35ghz almost as well as 3950x at 4.25ghz.  Hope some day you will rewrite the app to take advantage of high core count CPU.  🙂

HQPlayer can utilize any number of cores. But it depends on the task. Some tasks are mathematically bound to be such way that they cannot be parallelized to multiple cores well. Some tasks can. In addition, for example if you start processing for 8 output channels, you'll notice that you are soon running out of cores and need more. However, increasing core count you'll soon hit problem that clock frequencies start going down significantly and you'll hit that bottleneck. That's especially when CPU+GPU combination kicks in, you can get lot of cores from GPU for parallel tasks, and lot of clock frequency from a fewer core CPU for non-parallel tasks.

Just like Jensen Huang says here, at 5:20: 

what would be the best cpu to....just go DSD 128 ASD7EC/ext2 whatever rate and maybe MCH DSD?

I spent the last months fronting Embedded with a good ol' MB Air 11" and it was perfect to manage library via Audirvana and let good ol' MBPr 15" 2012 run Embedded

seems the loan is over for the Air

rather than replacing it it might be better to use the 15" MBPr to front Embedded and get a new machine to run Embedded. but I don't necessarily have the 1600€ budget for a server that would run 256 and buy a 256 capable DAC

hence, if it's significantly cheaper I would go for a cheaper/second hand PC.

Suggestion ? At the moment I'm limited to 5EC modulators and can't do MCH DSD, even if limited to 128, I'd like, at least, not to be remembered I'm ageing forgetting to switch from ASDM5EC to ASDM7 when I go for DSD files

2 hours ago, Le Concombre Masqué said:

what would be the best cpu to....just go DSD 128 ASD7EC/ext2 whatever rate and maybe MCH DSD?

Good ballpark figure is needed number of cores is 2x the number of channels you want to use.

2 hours ago, Le Concombre Masqué said:

Suggestion ? At the moment I'm limited to 5EC modulators and can't do MCH DSD, even if limited to 128, I'd like, at least, not to be remembered I'm ageing forgetting to switch from ASDM5EC to ASDM7 when I go for DSD files

DSD128 with EC modulators doesn't need as high clocks, but with multichannel you need many cores.

When I get back home, I'll check how my old i7-6950X fares alone for such use case, although something with 12 or more cores would be better.

11 hours ago, Miska said:

Good ballpark figure is needed number of cores is 2x the number of channels you want to use.

DSD128 with EC modulators doesn't need as high clocks, but with multichannel you need many cores.

When I get back home, I'll check how my old i7-6950X fares alone for such use case, although something with 12 or more cores would be better.

Thank you Jussi, I should have been more precise : I love MCH sources (ie The Doors DVDAs smoke every other format) but my system is Stereo only : so 5.1 PCM at the moment, or 5.0 or 4.0 if I can play SACD sourced material in the future, but  2 channels output

48 minutes ago, craighartley said:

which filter has the lowest CPU load

I posted some Filters. Maybe it helps.

On 1/4/2020 at 1:26 PM, 521ztz said:

As you said that the frequency of CPU is the most important thing for hqplayer, do you think the i3-9350k oc to 5ghz can handle dsd512 asdm7 closeform?

Not sure about that filter, but ASDM7 to DSD512 is not very problematic, works fine with my i5-7600T for example, with poly-sinc -2s filter variants. EC modulators are the ones that push the demands about 3x higher.

My Ryzen 3700X can do asdm7ec dsd256 xtr-lp or xtr-mp (without -2s) with the help of rtx 2070 super.  No need to OC.  Temp is around 65c° using small mini itx case (12.6L) and CPU load is about 27%. 

3700X is even problem free than 3950X as the latter tends to pause now and then after playing 30 minutes or longer.  That's good as I will use 3950X for a more demanding tasks.

My TR 1950X system works error free with XTR-mp non-2s ASDM7 @dsd512 in the days of hqplayer ver 3.

In recent testing of ver 4 with XTR-mp non-2s @dsd256, ASDM5EC can do but there are clicks with ASDM7EC, even overclock to 4GHz.

Is there any success case for TR users, without GPU help?

8 hours ago, salaryman said:

My TR 1950X system works error free with XTR-mp non-2s ASDM7 @dsd512 in the days of hqplayer ver 3.

In recent testing of ver 4 with XTR-mp non-2s @dsd256, ASDM5EC can do but there are clicks with ASDM7EC, even overclock to 4GHz.

Is there any success case for TR users, without GPU help?

With regular vs EC modulators, GPU doesn't help. So if you can run same case but with ASDM7, GPU won't help much unless you are short on cores, which is not the case with your CPU.

Latest HQPlayer 4 release should be better on AMD CPUs, it takes more into account the internal structure of AMD CPUs. But of course it still doesn't do miracles.

12 hours ago, teera_ash said:

3700X is even problem free than 3950X as the latter tends to pause now and then after playing 30 minutes or longer.

That sounds like thermal throttling... I cannot think of any other reason for something to happen after such a long time. Trying to improve cooling could help it.

10 hours ago, Miska said:

That sounds like thermal throttling... I cannot think of any other reason for something to happen after such a long time. Trying to improve cooling could help it.

No, temp were generally less than 68°c as overall CPU load was around 12%.  I have liquid cooling aio 280mm (with 4 fans in push-pull combination) which is more down enough to handle CPU at full load.  I'm thinking about disable hyperthread of 3950X to make it 16 parallel CPUs instead of 32.  

13 hours ago, teera_ash said:

No, temp were generally less than 68°c as overall CPU load was around 12%.  I have liquid cooling aio 280mm (with 4 fans in push-pull combination) which is more down enough to handle CPU at full load.  I'm thinking about disable hyperthread of 3950X to make it 16 parallel CPUs instead of 32.  

Maybe RAM overheating then? That is package temperature? Do you know what is the limit? Have you checked temperatures of individual cores? It is somewhat high package figure for 24% core load. Stutter after 30 minutes certainly sounds like a thermal problem. Thermal throttling begins to happen before reaching maximum temp to avoid overruns. It may be that clocks for some cores are lowered at that point.

Thanks Miska for the suggestions.  DIMM 1 and 2 temperatures were pretty ok.   40plus C, generally less than 45C.  What's bug me is that, restarting HQPlayer (turn off and on ) would solve the pausing problem but it will re-occur again after 20-30 mins.  Mine is a registered version :-)

3 hours ago, teera_ash said:

Thanks Miska for the suggestions.  DIMM 1 and 2 temperatures were pretty ok.   40plus C, generally less than 45C.  What's bug me is that, restarting HQPlayer (turn off and on ) would solve the pausing problem but it will re-occur again after 20-30 mins.  Mine is a registered version 🙂

Stopping playback for about a minute or so and then restarting likely has same effect?

• 2 weeks later...

@Miska

AMD 3700x OC 4400, DDR 3600 2*8GB, ASROCK X570M4pro motherboard. I have something share with you.

1. whatever how to OC the CPU and DRAM, I can't get poly-sinc-xtr-lp, ASDM7EC DSD 256 work perfectly with HQplayer 4.3 and 4.23. 4.3 and 4.23 have a poor CPU utilization. 

4.3.JPG.05303a6e5c2f45b0490b6985231bb971.JPG

2. With HQPlayer 4.2 I can get   poly-sinc-xtr-lp, ASDM7EC DSD 256 work perfectly after I start LOL, just open it and do nothing. The CPU utilization always is 9x% or 100%. Even I play  LOL, I still can get perfect sound.

LOL is a popular online game. When I play LOL only the CPU utilization is about 20%

556456413_withlolopen.JPG.95040befe0a8b9da0a499ce6f740facd.JPG

3. Without LOL open, with HQplayer 4.2. some times, the CPU utilization will drop to 7x% or 80%. then the music will stop for a while and recover soon when the CPU utilization go back to above 85% or 87%.

1888624250_withoutlolopen.JPG.f0fb22930c8684387e13749217e3a858.JPG

Hi Miska

I also have a couple of questions.

My CPU on Mac is 6900k (Hackintosh)

Using EC Modulators with DSD256 gives me dropouts every 10-15 secs. CPU  Load is not really high. 

Tried all the different settings without success. My DAC is the new RME ADI-2.

How could i find out if my CPU somehow can do the job?

Thanks

Michael

5 hours ago, andygaof said:

whatever how to OC the CPU and DRAM, I can't get poly-sinc-xtr-lp, ASDM7EC DSD 256 work perfectly with HQplayer 4.3 and 4.23. 4.3 and 4.23 have a poor CPU utilization

5 hours ago, andygaof said:

With HQPlayer 4.2 I can get   poly-sinc-xtr-lp, ASDM7EC DSD 256 work perfectly

Hi, Miska

andygaof's results are exactly the same as mine.  Ryzen 3700X and 3950X cannot do dsd256, asdm7ec even both are aggressively overclocked with HQPlayer 4.2.3.  But they can do it with version 4.2.0.  I should add that emmbeded HQPlayer 4.1.3 is also working perfectly.

Unfortunately, I don't have HQPlayer 4.2.0 on my computer to fall back to.  Could you please give me a link to download v. 4.2.0?

4 minutes ago, teera_ash said:

andygaof's results are exactly the same as mine.  Ryzen 3700X and 3950X cannot do dsd256, asdm7ec even both are aggressively overclocked with HQPlayer 4.2.3.  But they can do it with version 4.2.0.  I should add that emmbeded HQPlayer 4.1.3 is also working perfectly.

Unfortunately, I don't have HQPlayer 4.2.0 on my computer to fall back to.  Could you please give me a link to download v. 4.2.0?

Which filter? Have you tried setting HQPLAYER_RESERVED_CORES environment variable to 0?

Please send me email for download link.