IGNORED

Michael Lavorgna strikes back.......

13 minutes ago, christopher3393 said:

Some recent comments from Steven Plaskin from the Audiostream "Is MQA DRM" post (with responses from "DH"):

Steven Plaskin: I am deeply disturbed by the destructive anger that is being encouraged at another site dedicated to our hobby. Most audiophiles I know couldn’t give two shits about MQA. But the vitriol and devise behavior being propagated displays to me some serious issues that need to be addressed - and they are not audio issues.

Here is a direct quote about what I am referring to:

Lavorgna is a jerk

Make an 'objective' comment you are sneered at as a "mere cloth-eared engineer".
Make two and you're off.

And his lackey, the snake-oil freak Steve Plaskin, is even worse, though at least he is reasonably polite about it.

What normal thinking adult would want to be part of this?

When it was brought up that AudioStream turns out more equipment reviews, the owner of the site questioned AudioStream’s quality of writing. Just compare Chris Connaker’s review of the SOtM sMS-200 with mine. Reach your own conclusions.

There is a true disconnect from reality occurring that in the end, will only hurt our hobby.

DH: You are correct. But the context is that ML was banned from CA because of HIS language and behavior there, including the use of profanity related to someone's mother.

Steven Plaskin: And this language was sent in a private message. If Chris did not want Michael to post on his site, he could have told Michael in a private message. Chris decided that punishing Michael would further his economic goals. Naturally, I cannot know what Chris is thinking, but his behavior and tolerance of abusive posts suggests what I am referring to.

DH: I'm not defending some of the language used at CA. But some of MLs public posts were also not what I'd expect of a professional.

Chris doesn't allow the private messaging function at his site to be exploited for abuse.

I think that's exactly how it should be. I'm not really sure why you are excusing that kind of behavior.
ML isn't the first to be banned from the site for that type of stuff.

Steven Plaskin: This isn’t really about Michael’s “street language”. I think you know what I’m referring to.

edit: Michael Lavorgna has just added this: Chris allows abusive, offensive, and ...insulting language directed at people who do this for a living on his site - every day. To my mind, this is not the way a professional moderates a forum.

That is interesting. Because Michael Lavorgna posted numerous profanity laced tirades at Audio Asylum and was left untouched because it seems "reviewers" are given tremendous leeway. He even abused his colleague Doug Schneider with profanity and name calling.

For the record, I don't believe Plaskin has ever commented on MQA, so an unfair attack.

16 minutes ago, christopher3393 said:

Plaskin: "Most audiophiles I know couldn’t give two shits about MQA."

They will if MQA - pushed along by TAS, Stereophile, and Audiostream - is successful at getting Bob Stuart's hands on their wallets every time they want to buy a new DAC or album.

Roon ROCK (Roon 1.7; NUC7i3) > Ayre QB-9 Twenty > Ayre AX-5 Twenty > Thiel CS2.4SE (crossovers rebuilt with Clarity CSA and Multicap RTX caps, Mills MRA-12 resistors; ERSE and Jantzen coils; Cardas binding posts and hookup wire); Cardas and OEM power cables, interconnects, and speaker cables

22 minutes ago, christopher3393 said:

Some recent comments from Steven Plaskin from the Audiostream "Is MQA DRM" post (with responses from "DH"):

Steven Plaskin: I am deeply disturbed by the destructive anger that is being encouraged at another site dedicated to our hobby. Most audiophiles I know couldn’t give two shits about MQA. But the vitriol and devise behavior being propagated displays to me some serious issues that need to be addressed - and they are not audio issues.

Here is a direct quote about what I am referring to:

Lavorgna is a jerk

Make an 'objective' comment you are sneered at as a "mere cloth-eared engineer".
Make two and you're off.

And his lackey, the snake-oil freak Steve Plaskin, is even worse, though at least he is reasonably polite about it.

What normal thinking adult would want to be part of this?

When it was brought up that AudioStream turns out more equipment reviews, the owner of the site questioned AudioStream’s quality of writing. Just compare Chris Connaker’s review of the SOtM sMS-200 with mine. Reach your own conclusions.

There is a true disconnect from reality occurring that in the end, will only hurt our hobby.

DH: You are correct. But the context is that ML was banned from CA because of HIS language and behavior there, including the use of profanity related to someone's mother.

Steven Plaskin: And this language was sent in a private message. If Chris did not want Michael to post on his site, he could have told Michael in a private message. Chris decided that punishing Michael would further his economic goals. Naturally, I cannot know what Chris is thinking, but his behavior and tolerance of abusive posts suggests what I am referring to.

DH: I'm not defending some of the language used at CA. But some of MLs public posts were also not what I'd expect of a professional.

Chris doesn't allow the private messaging function at his site to be exploited for abuse.

I think that's exactly how it should be. I'm not really sure why you are excusing that kind of behavior.
ML isn't the first to be banned from the site for that type of stuff.

Steven Plaskin: This isn’t really about Michael’s “street language”. I think you know what I’m referring to.

edit: Michael Lavorgna has just added this: Chris allows abusive, offensive, and ...insulting language directed at people who do this for a living on his site - every day. To my mind, this is not the way a professional moderates a forum.

I call shenanigans.  If you think @The Computer Audiophile is too coddling to rude posters, take it up with him.  I can only conclude that you're escalating your forum civility campaign because what you've done so far hasn't gotten as many people banned as you had hoped.  I get that you're pining for the days of yore at CA, but time marches on.  Maybe I missed the other posts but it seems to me your only contributions to CA of late are protestations of incivility.

That back and forth that you so helpfully 9_9 copied/pasted is nothing more than a desperate attempt from the MQA cabal to dismiss all anti-MQA discussion as rooted in immature, vindictive personal grievance.  And now you're trying to use it as a proxy to facilitate a CA forum witch hunt.  It's a transparent bid to elevate your authority here IMHO.

And all it takes for Lavorgna to ban someone at Audio Stream is to have a civil difference of opinion.

Just ask Archimago, John Scully, KirkMC.

In a back and forth over Ethernet cables I offered to come out and bring a switch and some cabling and do this blind with him. The response is that I should go fuck myself. 

5 minutes ago, Samuel T Cogley said:

I call shenanigans.  If you think @The Computer Audiophile is too coddling to rude posters, take it up with him.  I can only conclude that you're escalating your forum civility campaign because what you've done so far hasn't gotten as many people banned as you had hoped.  I get that you're pining for the days of yore at CA, but time marches on.  Maybe I missed the other posts but it seems to me your only contributions to CA of late are protestations of incivility.

That back and forth that you so helpfully 9_9 copied/pasted is nothing more than a desperate attempt from the MQA cabal to dismiss all anti-MQA discussion as rooted in immature, vindictive personal grievance.  And now you're trying to use it as a proxy to facilitate a CA forum witch hunt.  It's a transparent bid to elevate your authority here IMHO.

Actually, these comments bothered me and I think they are unfair to Chris and CA overall. I thought it would be good for others here to be aware of them and judge for themselves.

You do alot of speculating regarding my motivations. All of your speculation is negative. I think you are getting a little histrionic about this.

28 minutes ago, christopher3393 said:

Actually, these comments bothered me and I think they are unfair to Chris and CA overall. I thought it would be good for others here to be aware of them and judge for themselves.

You do alot of speculating regarding my motivations. All of your speculation is negative. I think you are getting a little histrionic about this.

I can't say I didn't expect the dodge.  Your actions speak for themselves.  No speculation required.

EDIT: I see your post asking for clarification.  Looks like @plissken is a big hit over there.  :)

51 minutes ago, Samuel T Cogley said:

I can't say I didn't expect the dodge.  Your actions speak for themselves.  No speculation required.

EDIT: I see your post asking for clarification.  Looks like @plissken is a big hit over there.  :)

Since Plaskin is reading this thread:

I'm not dumping anything on you. As a matter of fact I'll extend you the same offer I have anyone else that thinks they can hear the difference in like constructed Ethernet cables and used for IP data:

My $5000 to your $1000. Travel expenses paid by the loser. 

All on your setup but bias controlled and I'll make a like constructed cable right there in front of you. 

Two rounds of 10 simple a/b and you need to hit 90% accuracy with your boutique Ethernet cable being chosen as the superior sounding cable.

I'll bring the server, switch, client computer. Everything from the USB port on the client computer on back is all yours. 

I trust in your ears. Do you?

** if you feel more comfortable not putting $1000 up then just travel expenses. 

1 hour ago, Samuel T Cogley said:

Take no notice of Plaskin, he owns a vast amount of snake oil and always says it is effective in improving things. He's even got a gadget that claims to give out waves that affect your brain and in his 'review' he said it makes a difference. 

And the more expensive the gadget  the better.

14 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Remember not to personally attack anyone. Feel free to question someone's argument or published work, but not their person. This includes me as well. There's only one set of rules here at CA. 

Other than my "take no notice" my post is entirely factual, maybe excepting maybe the  hot dinners. (Which I have now removed and replaced with something that is factual. I also deleted the 'magic')

it's a valid point though, I'm on a  model airplane forum where you can attack anyone who isn't a member. All it does is lower the forum's reputation. 

5 minutes ago, Spacehound said:

Plaskin, he owns more snake-oil

Don't know about that but he has a killer system that I would love to hear.

Roon ROCK (Roon 1.7; NUC7i3) > Ayre QB-9 Twenty > Ayre AX-5 Twenty > Thiel CS2.4SE (crossovers rebuilt with Clarity CSA and Multicap RTX caps, Mills MRA-12 resistors; ERSE and Jantzen coils; Cardas binding posts and hookup wire); Cardas and OEM power cables, interconnects, and speaker cables

What is Lavorgna trying to say here exactly? It looks like a way of clouding the issue, to justify himself telling a CA poster to "go fuck his mother". 

He seems to be proud of acting rudely, for no other reason than to be unpleasant. It seems like he used more words than required to explain his behavior, in order to cloud the issue and obfuscate people, so that his behavior "appears" defensible and justified. 

He is reasonably good at using "smoke and mirrors" manipulative techniques, to make himself look good and trying to make others look bad. He tries to argue "beside" the subject matter, rather than about it. 

A hate to denigrate someone I have never met. But, I perceive him to be disingenuous and manipulative.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________

image: https://www.audiostream.com/images/user_account_pictures/picture-27619-1513619551.jpg

Michael Lavorgna's picture
Let me explain
Submitted by Michael Lavorgna on February 8, 2018 - 7:39am
There appears to be another narrative around my use of profanity in a PM to a CA member. My intention in sending that message was twofold:

1. to be as offensive as possible using the least amount of words (4)
2. in doing so to communicate to CA my complete and utter disregard for the forum

I immediately followed up my first PM with another suggesting that if the first message was not offensive, for the recipient to please think of something that was. This was not done out of anger, it was completely calculated. Note that I know Chris publishes private messages since he's done exactly that to me in the past.

To my mind, I have succeeded on both counts. While I do not plan to repeat this performance, those 4 words loose their bite after the first time, the only impact has been increased traffic to my site from CA.

Cheers

Read more at https://www.audiostream.com/content/mqa-drm#txHyCZHI5bGyAARq.99

7 minutes ago, beetlemania said:

Don't know about that but he has a killer system that I would love to hear.

Yes, but have you seen his listening room?

113017steve1.thumb.jpg.008eaa3a314d65311202efe294c89073.jpg

https://www.audiostream.com/content/steve-plaskin

I hate to pull a GUTB, but I can tell from just looking at this that there's no way this setup sounds good. :) 

Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby
Edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley
Through the middle of my skull

7 minutes ago, Spacehound said:

Take no notice of Plaskin, he owns more snake-oil  than I've had hot  dinners. He's even got a gadget that claims to give out magic waves that affect your brain and in his 'review' he said it makes a difference. 

If you are referring to the Synergistic Research Atmosphere, there is no snake-oil here. Many products have been sold employing the Schumann Resonance to enhance audio systems. I have the Atmosphere here, but it is not set up. 

https://www.audiostream.com/content/steve-plaskin

The Absolute Sound gave it the 2017 Product of the Year. 

And I'm darn sure you have never heard one in your system.

Steve Plaskin

12 minutes ago, Spacehound said:

Take no notice of Plaskin, he owns a vast amount of snake oil and always says it is effective in improving things. He's even got a gadget that claims to give out waves that affect your brain and in his 'review' he said it makes a difference. 

I have no problem with Plaskin's appreciation of so called snake oil devices. I don't believe everything he says (or anyone for that matter), but I don't assume he is lying. It is quite possible that he hears these improvements in his system, and he believes the devices are responsible for the improvements in sound quality. At least his opinion is based on actual experience with the devices. Even if I disagree, I don't feel comfortable refuting someone forcefully if I have not myself tried out the product. 

But, I am a bit disappointed with Plaskin's recent comments. He has stated rude things about CA and its members (he seems to lump all of us into a homogenous group of troublemakers); and stated it to sound more like fact than opinion.