IGNORED

Audirvana 3.1

On ‎8‎/‎27‎/‎2017 at 3:41 AM, OldBigEars said:

Am I the only one who finds 3.1 has taken a noticeable step backwards in sound quality compared with the 3.0.10 beta, which was outstanding?  I've just gone back to the beta. Go on, tell me it's all imagination. Btw I've had no functionality complaints with either. 

No functionality issues whatsoever for me either, even after applying the direct mode hack, however, I have come to realise in recent times that everything is audibly 'brighter' than I recall after the initial move from 2.6 to 3.0... OldBigEars' comment has made me realise that maybe it's not my imagination (and it's a change that has been irritating me)

On a separate note, anyone know why DSD512 is greyed out in A+ when "Dave" has the capability to receive?

2015 MacBook Pro > SOtM tX-USBultra > Mutec MC3+USB > Chord Blu Mk2 > Chord Dave > ATC SIA2-150/P1/P2 > ATC SCM50 PSLT

15 minutes ago, 6aardvark9 said:

On a separate note, anyone know why DSD512 is greyed out in A+ when "Dave" has the capability to receive?

I don’t think Mac OS is currently capable of it, though I could be wrong.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

23 hours ago, 6aardvark9 said:

OldBigEars' comment has made me realise that maybe it's not my imagination (and it's a change that has been irritating me)

So maybe my ears weren't fooling me after all.  I just upgraded to the latest version and it seems a bit brighter and harsher to me also.  I can't imagine Damien did anything that affected SQ negatively, but it is strange.

2012 Mac Mini, Mac Sierra OS, Audirvana 3.x, WireWorld Ultraviolet 7 USB Interconnect, Benchmark DAC2 L, Wireworld Equinox 7 Balanced XLR Interconnect, Belles 350A Amp, DIY Speaker Cables (18 strands of 22awg wire in circular array), DIY Carver Ribbon Speakers & Dayton Woofers

On 11/15/2017 at 7:02 AM, Jud said:

I don’t think Mac OS is currently capable of it, though I could be wrong.

Hi Jud,

You can but you should not ...!

When I forced it to do so, I only got a horrible distortion from my Mac Pro. It's not allowed by OS X nor by Mac processors.

------------------------

A question from my side. I have a license for A + 3.1, I removed this version and tried to install 3.01 (to check differences in the SQ mentioned by some). Before installing it, it tells me that I'm not connected to the internet (which is not correct) and it does not allow me to install it. What other items should you uninstall?

Thank you,

Roch

8 hours ago, audiocanyon said:

So maybe my ears weren't fooling me after all.  I just upgraded to the latest version and it seems a bit brighter and harsher to me also.  I can't imagine Damien did anything that affected SQ negatively, but it is strange.

I didn’t  like the sound of recent versions except for 3.1.6 which sounds absolutely great, but I had to increase the pre-ringing and the steepness. I upped pre-ringing from 35 to 45 which rounded the sound a  and the steepness I increased from 120to 130 to open the soundstage. Very happy with the results : Solid images, controlled strong bass, non fatiguing detailed overall sound

14 hours ago, Rezseeker said:

...I also dialed max filter length down to about 1,000,000.

You might want to experiment turning direct mode on / off 

I haven’t tried 3.1.8 yet.

Thanks for the tips Rezseeker. My settings are quite different so I'll experiment with your suggestions.  I use direct mode and would like to keep it.  I might drop back to 3.1.6 to see if I notice a difference. My sound stage is good, it's just the harshness I'd like to dial back.  My upgrade was from 3.0.6 to 3.1.7. 

2012 Mac Mini, Mac Sierra OS, Audirvana 3.x, WireWorld Ultraviolet 7 USB Interconnect, Benchmark DAC2 L, Wireworld Equinox 7 Balanced XLR Interconnect, Belles 350A Amp, DIY Speaker Cables (18 strands of 22awg wire in circular array), DIY Carver Ribbon Speakers & Dayton Woofers

1 minute ago, audiocanyon said:

Thanks for the tips Rezseeker. My settings are quite different so I'll experiment with your suggestions.  I use direct mode and would like to keep it.  I might drop back to 3.1.6 to see if I notice a difference. My sound stage is good, it's just the harshness I'd like to dial back.  My upgrade was from 3.0.6 to 3.1.7. 

Dialing back on the pre-ringing setting removes the hard edge, default was 1.0, now set it at 0.60

2015 MacBook Pro > SOtM tX-USBultra > Mutec MC3+USB > Chord Blu Mk2 > Chord Dave > ATC SIA2-150/P1/P2 > ATC SCM50 PSLT

I have been using Audirvana for several years and recently encountered a problem I can't resolve. My music library has grown considerably since I first imported it into Audirvana and last week when i opened the program (after adding 12 new albums to my Music Folder) it failed to sync the new music and when I then went to the Library preference tab the sqlite file was shown as "offline" and was greyed out and would not respond when I clicked on "sync". Tried many things to no avail. Finally I decided to do a fresh import of the entire music folder. I uninstalled Audirvana and all associated files and re-installed followed by selecting the Music Folder in the Library pref and allowing the program to sync the contents. Took two days to sync and when I looked it had missed over 1200 albums from what should be there and had been before. Again I uninstalled and deleted all associated files and tried again. This time after another two day sync it was missing about 850 albums. Not only is it failing to sync to the Music folder fully it is failing differently each time I sync. I suspect it is choking on the size of the Music folder which contains just over 50 thousand albums. Any thoughts as to how to get a full and consistent sync? Music folder is on a six disk external RAID array of 6tb drives. 

Also, as an aside, one other frustration I am having with Audirvana's library management is that I can't find a way to view a 52 album boxset sequentially. Instead of listing them by their album names (which are identical except for the disc number 1-52) they are displaying disc 1, disc 11 and then when you get to 2 it is followed by 20 etc. Any thoughts on how to get Audirvana to count sequentially 1 through 52?

All music files have completed metadata which shows fully in either iTunes or JRiverMC. And on both those programs album totals and song totals match exactly. Also on both those databases the ABC of the Blues albums show sequentially 1-52.

jumpsturdy every time i install a new version of AV i do this now, it sorts out any library issues,

Apple hide the Home Folder in User Library at some time depending on OS System... When you have clicked your Home Folder, and cannot see the Library Folder in there, just do a ''cmd J'' to show the folder settings preferences and see at the bottom... click Show Library Folder and then you'll have access to the rest forever.

Go to User... Home Folder... Library... Applications Support... Audirvana Folder...
Trash All the files in that folder (that is your database of music, back it up!)
Go to User... Home Folder... Library... Preferences...
trash com.audirvana.Audirvana-Plus.plist in that folder (those are A+ software preferences)

Restart MAC, Restart A+ then add your music folder... and wait

On 11/19/2017 at 1:16 PM, jumpsturdy said:

they are displaying disc 1, disc 11 and then when you get to 2 it is followed by 20 etc.

That's a simple goof that Damien can easily fix if you notify him.  He needs to change the album number field to sort as a number field instead of a text field.

HQPlayer (on 3.8 GHz 8-core i7 iMac 2020) > NAA (on 2012 Mac Mini i7) > RME ADI-2 v2 > Benchmark AHB-2 > Thiel 3.7

Thanks Bob, I agree it should be easy to fix and will try and notify Damien.

With respect to removing all vestiges of the program before re-installing; I agree and in fact have done so from my ~library. the main Library and even from the System library. Includes all files that have been mentioned as well as from private/var in the system Library. Non of that helped with being able to import/sync with the Music Folder and have all the music imported. The frustration is that I had everything synced correctly before the database file declared itself "offline". So not being able to get back to that point is something I can't understand/

Thanks again for all your responses.

42 minutes ago, jumpsturdy said:

The frustration is that I had everything synced correctly before the database file declared itself "offline". So not being able to get back to that point is something I can't understand/

For me... i'm on High Sierra and since that day i bought i new external hard drive that i formated while never been use before to the new Apple APFS system to run with the APFS of High Sierra. Since then, and still is with 3.1.8 (waiting for 10.13.2 to see if changed or new A+, did mentionned that to Damien before) my first startup of A+ in the morning while i open my MacMini, the syncing is ALWAYS offline in A+ prefs, i just quit A+ and reopen it... and it is syncing all day till i restart the next day, don't know, maybe A+ starts to fast for the Hard Drive to mount or being seen ??

I had a big library too and remember having seeing A+ quit in the middle of syncing or not beeing able to see all albums that were there before in one run... just reopen and sync again even manually... it is not important, if it crash or not seeing all, do it again. Stop A+, restart Mac, just to see. Then try optimizing your Database, there is maybe something corrupted there... Audirvana FILE Menu... Library... Optimizing Library... do the 3 steps there, yes 1, 2, 3 even if it says it could be long... it's not that long (FYI i have 34000 tracks in my database with a late 2012 Mac and it takes around 5 mins max to do it).

i posted here many times deleting installed files to strart from scratch... when you do it, A+ is like new, never seen your Music folder or your database, so it really start like new... if it crash while reading for first time database, do it syncing again after restart... it will remember what he as done and complete where he left...

When a crash occured or bugs happenned, it is always good to me to restart A+ and even the MAC just to be sure it doesn't remember what you just trashed without restarting... they have memory computers  :)

If You Got Ears, You Gotta ListenCaptain Beefheart

MacMini 2018, 4xi3 3.6GHz, SSD, 20Gb, macOS Sonoma > Audirvana Origin >

Wyred DAC2 DSD Special Edition > Proceed AMP2 > Focal Cobalt 826 Signature Series >

Audirvana Remote > iPhone 13

10 hours ago, Bob Stern said:

That's a simple goof that Damien can easily fix if you notify him.  He needs to change the album number field to sort as a number field instead of a text field.

This is already the case, the Disc number tag is a number tag.

In the present case, it seems the disc number tag is empty, and it is only written in the album title that is a text field.

Solution is then to edit these few albums to set their disc number tag.

MBP 15"/Mac Mini, Audirvana Plus, Audioquest Diamond USB, AMR DP-777, exD DSD DAC (for DSD), Pioneer N-70AE, Audioquest Niagara balanced/Viard Audio Design Silver HD, Accuphase E-560, Cabasse Sumatra MT420

Hi @damien78

I asked this in the Sonore thread but it probably belongs here (maybe).

When using A+ with the ultraRendu and DSD256 upsampling, do we need to reduce the memory buffer in A+ settings?

How much memory is in the ultraRendu?

And in the case of Audirvana + DSD256 upsampling + ultraRendu, is it the Mac that is doing the upsampling or the ultraRendu?

Does the ultraRendu have the power for DSD256 up-sampling?

Cheers in advance

I have 2 renderers, MSB and Weiss Medus. I can play music through both rendereers when using JRiver Media Center on MAC mini.

When using A+3.x.x (now 3.1.8), I can recognize both renderers.  But when playing music, the time meter goes to 1 sec and skip to the next on the playlist and 1 sec to the next till the last and stop.  Am I missing something in the Preference? I am using Synology as NAS. 

9 minutes ago, BShuk said:

I have 2 renderers, MSB and Weiss Medus. I can play music through both rendereers when using JRiver Media Center on MAC mini.

When using A+3.x.x (now 3.1.8), I can recognize both renderers.  But when playing music, the time meter goes to 1 sec and skip to the next on the playlist and 1 sec to the next till the last and stop.  Am I missing something in the Preference? I am using Synology as NAS. 

Mmmm,  not familiar with renderers and NAS thing  :) but it looks like that it sees old files that it doesn't recognize anymore... sees them, but can't play them... something might have change in the path maybe?

Have you just try going to A+ prefs panel and delete your database there with the minus sign at bottom of window.

Shut down A+, restart MAC... when A+ start again, it will ask where is your music folder, show it, (or add it yourself with + sign) then wait till it is loaded, and see if it plays the song now... my thought  :)

If You Got Ears, You Gotta ListenCaptain Beefheart

MacMini 2018, 4xi3 3.6GHz, SSD, 20Gb, macOS Sonoma > Audirvana Origin >

Wyred DAC2 DSD Special Edition > Proceed AMP2 > Focal Cobalt 826 Signature Series >

Audirvana Remote > iPhone 13