IGNORED

Audirvana 3.1

Made the mistake of upgrading to this colossal mess. App crashed immediately. After several tries, I got it to run briefly, but AU plugins don't load, then it crashes again. Fine work, Damien, as always. By all means continue to add features before you've actually finished the basic app. Here's a bold idea. How about, instead of adding a bunch more semi-functional features nobody asked for, how about 3.2 is nothing but bug fixes and adding in the many very basic features missing from the UI? Could you do that, do you think?

Now I get to go and set 3.0.7 back the way it was. True is, I should have just stuck with 2.6, because the 3.x series has given me absolutely nothing of value.

13 minutes ago, Musicophile said:

3.1 works flawlessly here so far.

same here.

Recent versions all have been running absolutley trouble free on my 2 systems.

Also AU Plugins load and run as supposed to.

Mac Mini, HQPlayer | iFi Zenstream | Intona 7055-B | Singxer SDA-6 pro | Vincent SV237 | Buchardt S400 | SPL Phonitor One | Beyer DT1990pro | Avantone Planar II
Desktop: Audirvana Origin | Intona 7054 | SMSL M500MKII | NAD C 316BEE | Aperion Novus B5 Bookshelf | Lehmann Rhinelander | Beyer DT700proX

@damien78

since we have a new thread I'll copy my question from the former thread ... because I really would appreciate a reply.

Thanks!

_______

@damien78  and/or  @mansr
… or anyone who knows fur sure…

A short question about the internal processing chain when upsampling to DSD and using AU Plugins.

According to the A+ manual when upsampling to a higher PCM rate the processing chain is:
1.) file loading / decoding
2.) sample rate conversion
3.) AU Plugins (in top to down order)
(4.) loading processed PCM into RAM for playback)

For forced upsampling to DSD the processing chain must be different (since there are no AU Plugins that work at DSD sample rates starting at 2.8MHz).

Am I correct assuming that AU plugins are applied at the source sample rate when we upsample to DSD?
So for DSD is the processing chain looking like this? ->
2.) AU Plugins (in top to down order)
3.) sample rate conversion (iZotope) & DSD modulation (SoX)

Many thanks in advance!

Mac Mini, HQPlayer | iFi Zenstream | Intona 7055-B | Singxer SDA-6 pro | Vincent SV237 | Buchardt S400 | SPL Phonitor One | Beyer DT1990pro | Avantone Planar II
Desktop: Audirvana Origin | Intona 7054 | SMSL M500MKII | NAD C 316BEE | Aperion Novus B5 Bookshelf | Lehmann Rhinelander | Beyer DT700proX

20 minutes ago, Musicophile said:

3.1 works flawlessly here so far. 

+1 ... no issues with 3.1.  Although I am using a stone-knives-and-bearskins USB connection, as opposed to a fancy network streamer.

Literally, the only issue I am having with A+ is documented here:

"Play the volume as loud as you want - but don't touch my levels now. I got them set just the way I like 'em."

Audirvana 3.1 keeps crashing immediatelly after starting a track. I have been using Audirvana since a year and have had no issues of any kind with any of the previous versions. I am on OSX Sierra, with Direct mode enabled through the hack. 

13 minutes ago, yacob said:

Audirvana 3.1 keeps crashing immediatelly after starting a track. I have been using Audirvana since a year and have had no issues of any kind with any of the previous versions. I am on OSX Sierra, with Direct mode enabled through the hack. 

Maybe you just want to get rid of direct mode? 

1 hour ago, Musicophile said:

3.1 works flawlessly here so far. And I think this is an experience shared by the majority of users.

You say no problems, but what's this?

Appears at startup.

Снимок экрана 2017-08-24 в 19.21.10.png

Снимок экрана 2017-08-24 в 19.22.31.png

MacMini 2018 - Lynx Hilo LT-TB (TeddyPardo PSU) - Unison Research SH - Sennheiser HD800

52 minutes ago, Musicophile said:

Maybe you just want to get rid of direct mode? 

I tried with and without direct mode, with and without integer mode. The same behaviour each time: Audirvana 3.1 launches fine, but as soon as I start a track (doesn't matter if FLAC, ALAC or DSD), the app crashes immediatelly, without any error messages. I reverted back to 3.0.7 and all fine again. 

17 minutes ago, yacob said:

I tried with and without direct mode, with and without integer mode. The same behaviour each time: Audirvana 3.1 launches fine, but as soon as I start a track (doesn't matter if FLAC, ALAC or DSD), the app crashes immediatelly, without any error messages. I reverted back to 3.0.7 and all fine again. 

I suggest you send your crash report to Damien so he can fix it. 

Just updated to 3.1. No problems here. Great work @damien78

Late 2012 Mac Mini > Audirvana+3 > iFi Zen Stream > Heimdall 2 USB >  iFi iDSD Micro BL > Pass Labs INT-30A > DeVore The Nines! + REL Strata III

Well-Tempered Amadeus Benz ACE SL > Pass Labs XOno

"Water is the most critical resource issue of our lifetime and our children's lifetime. The health of our waters is the principal measure of how we live on the land." - Luna Leopold

32 minutes ago, Musicophile said:

Don't have that. Goes up to 0db without problems. 

In the first picture, Audirvana reduces the volume at launch by 8.8 dB.
In the settings there is no reduction.
Which window shows wrong?

MacMini 2018 - Lynx Hilo LT-TB (TeddyPardo PSU) - Unison Research SH - Sennheiser HD800

3 hours ago, yacob said:

Sorry for you, All is still good for me with 3.1

On beta High Sierra, Direct Mode is on with trick, All converting to DSD128

with external Hard Drive formatted like macOS 10.13 system (APFS).

If You Got Ears, You Gotta ListenCaptain Beefheart

MacMini 2018, 4xi3 3.6GHz, SSD, 20Gb, macOS Sonoma > Audirvana Origin >

Wyred DAC2 DSD Special Edition > Proceed AMP2 > Focal Cobalt 826 Signature Series >

Audirvana Remote > iPhone 13

Just a quick FYI: I've been testing A+ 3.1 with my Bryston BDP-1 which uses gmrender-resurrect as it's DLNA/UPnP renderer.

So far, it mostly works: gapless playback is working great with the native sample rate, but playlists that contain files with different sample rates freeze when changing to a new sample rate within the same playlist. This can be worked around by forcing everything to upsample to the DAC's max sample rate. Of course when I do that, then gapless playback then introduces a small 'tick' between tracks.

AAC, MP3 and Flac files all playback just fine. There is no display update on the BDP-1, but this is a short-coming with the BDP.

Again, just an FYI ... nothing to be addressed with A+, as I experienced all of these symptoms with MinimServer on the same device and went through some log file debugging with the author to confirm the issues are all from gmrender-resurrect.

"Play the volume as loud as you want - but don't touch my levels now. I got them set just the way I like 'em."

15 hours ago, Musicophile said:

I suggest you send your crash report to Damien so he can fix it. 

Thanks musicophile. Well that’s the problem, as i wrote, the app crashes without any error message (i guess i should have said without any crash report). The 3.1 app window simply closes. I am simply posting my experience so that Damien becomes aware. I use a straightforward audirvana -> USB DAC connection so 3.1 doesnt neccessarily bring any additional value to me, and reverting back to 3.0.7 at least gives me a problem-free way of playing music for the time being.

@yacob The lack of error message is in part due to Mac OSX ... apparently there is a known outstanding issue at Apple of Crash Reports not always being triggered.

Might I suggest you run Terminal just before you start Audirvana 3.1 ... it will report what happens ... then copy that part of the Terminal console in your message to Damien ... it might help him narrow things down.

Main System: NAS or QOBUZ > BlueSound Node 2i > Schiit Gungnir MultiBit > PYST XLR > Schiit Mjolnir 2 or Gilmore Lite MK2

Office System: iMac > Audirvana > Schiit EITR + Audiophonics LPS25 > Metrum FLINT NOS DAC (DAC TWO chips) > Schiit Magni 3+ > Aeon Flow Open

Loudspeaker System: NAIM Muso Gen 2

19 hours ago, copy_of_a said:

@damien78

since we have a new thread I'll copy my question from the former thread ... because I really would appreciate a reply.

Thanks!

_______

@damien78  and/or  @mansr
… or anyone who knows fur sure…

A short question about the internal processing chain when upsampling to DSD and using AU Plugins.

According to the A+ manual when upsampling to a higher PCM rate the processing chain is:
2.) sample rate conversion
3.) AU Plugins (in top to down order)
(4.) loading processed PCM into RAM for playback)

For forced upsampling to DSD the processing chain must be different (since there are no AU Plugins that work at DSD sample rates starting at 2.8MHz).

Am I correct assuming that AU plugins are applied at the source sample rate when we upsample to DSD?
So for DSD is the processing chain looking like this? ->
2.) AU Plugins (in top to down order)
3.) sample rate conversion (iZotope) & DSD modulation (SoX)

Many thanks in advance!

That's the right sequences of operation in both cases

MBP 15"/Mac Mini, Audirvana Plus, Audioquest Diamond USB, AMR DP-777, exD DSD DAC (for DSD), Pioneer N-70AE, Audioquest Niagara balanced/Viard Audio Design Silver HD, Accuphase E-560, Cabasse Sumatra MT420

Just released 3.1.1 (you can get it with the "Check for updates..." command of the Audirvana Plus menu):

It fixes the crash when starting playback while having realtime setup enabled for Audio Units.

MBP 15"/Mac Mini, Audirvana Plus, Audioquest Diamond USB, AMR DP-777, exD DSD DAC (for DSD), Pioneer N-70AE, Audioquest Niagara balanced/Viard Audio Design Silver HD, Accuphase E-560, Cabasse Sumatra MT420

1 hour ago, damien78 said:

Just released 3.1.1 (you can get it with the "Check for updates..." command of the Audirvana Plus menu):

It fixes the crash when starting playback while having realtime setup enabled for Audio Units.

Happy to report that this update resolved my 3.1 crash problem when starting playback. I indeed had realtime audio units control enabled. Thanks Damien for such a superbly quick resolution!

2 hours ago, damien78 said:

That's the right sequences of operation in both cases

thanks a lot Damien!!

33 minutes ago, Musicophile said:

@damien78 is there a list of new features anywhere? Was there anything updated for non-streamer users?

+1

Yes, would be nice to know about some known issue repairs of V. 3.0.7. Are there any?

MacMini 2018 OS 10.14 | XLD | Yate | iTunes 10.7 | Audirvana 3.5.50 | RME ADI-2 DAC fs | Bryston BHA-1 | Hifiman Arya