IGNORED

HDtracks download manager...

Just got back from a trip to find Keith Jarretts Koln Concert now available at 24/96. I really want this, but I still haven't gotten any resolution to my earlier posted problems, dated last Oct. :

"I too have had problems with the Download manager. It won't recognize my ext. fw drive where store my music. Spent at least a week with emails with HD Tracks, and they had no idea what was causing it or fixes. I had to use my G5 running Tiger as I simply put it on it's internal drive....then I copied that over to my fw drive. I was using a Macbook Pro, Snow Leopard, all updated software incl java and a very good wireless connection. I won't be using HD Tracks again till they fix or eliminate the DL manager."

I too don't like a 'negative' thread, but facts are facts. HDTracks have multiple users with different problems. And they don't seem to care to take the time to fix them. And I so want to download that Jarrett album.

Ryzen 7 2700 PC Server, NUC7CJYH w. 4G Apacer RAM as Renderer/LPS 1.2 - IsoRegen/LPS-1/.2 - Singxer SU-1/LPS1.2 - Holo Spring Level 3 DAC - LTA MicroZOTL MZ2 - Modwright KWA 150 Signature Amp - Tidal Audio Piano's.  

So what is the problem? Why wouldn't you just download The Koln Concert to your internal drive, to the "My HDtracks Music" folder, and then manually move it to your external drive once the download is complete? What is the big deal?

I do not even have high speed internet at home, and use my laptop to download files from HDtracks at friends' homes. Then I convert the files to aiff (using MAX) for use in my system, and move them to the Oyen Minipro drive I store my library on. These are just files, and are easy to move anywhere you would like them to be once downloaded.

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

Hi Barrows. You bring up a good point.

But I'm using a small ssd as my internal hd. I've been told by several people, incl. the very nice fellow at PMusic, that I should not put my music files on my int. hd because unlike a spinning drive, you can't 'defrag' a ssd. So you have to fill the entire ssd first before it recycles to a 'clean' drive. And ssd only have X amount of times it can 'recycle' (my term). So to extend the life and speed of a ssd, it's best not to put anything on it except my OS.

That's why I'm not using My HDtracks Folder as a temp place to put downloads before I can put them onto my ext. drive. As well, several emails from the guys at HDtracks told me the ext. drive "should show up". It doesn't.

So this is my reasoning, based on people who know a lot more about computers and ssd's than I.

Ryzen 7 2700 PC Server, NUC7CJYH w. 4G Apacer RAM as Renderer/LPS 1.2 - IsoRegen/LPS-1/.2 - Singxer SU-1/LPS1.2 - Holo Spring Level 3 DAC - LTA MicroZOTL MZ2 - Modwright KWA 150 Signature Amp - Tidal Audio Piano's.  

• 1 month later...

I've been trying for 4 days. No Luck Tried it on OSX, Windows 7, Windows XP, on four different machines. All have newest Java. Tried Firefox, Safari, Internet explorer, Chrome.

Worst part is HDTracks sends a canned email response. I've gotten three of them now and they all say the same thing. I don't think they are reading my emails.

First time I've had trouble with it but it will be my last.

Hello,

I just downloaded a 24-bit, 176.4kHz album from HDtracks yesterday. I just kicked things off and then went to grab lunch. When I came back, I had about 30 error dialogs complaining of timeouts, but when I checked, all of the files were downloaded, and they all sound just fine.

This was on Windows 7, 64-bit, but running the 32-bit IE8 and whatever JRE I happen to have installed (probably current since auto-update is enabled). I was probably on my home wifi at the time.

This is the first time that I've seen these timeout alerts though. Are you guys seeing them too? Have they actually caused your downloads to fail?

-- David

P.S., for what it's worth, HDtracks has not been responding to my emails lately either. They have been fairly responsive in the past though.

I have the same gripes about with hdtracks as all. They try to help,to me that is enough. Hdtracks is the best there is, they offer discount, their price is better than the corresponding cd version,etc. The latest download of Steely Dan's Gaucho (after much difficulties) was a revelation. The last I heard Gaucho was perhaps 20 years ago, the digital high rez version was simply amazing. On my sennheiser hd650 the music was out of the world.

Qnap NAS (LPS) >UA ETHER REGEN (BG7TBL Master Clock) > Grimm MU1 > Mola Mola Tambaqui /Meridian 808.3> Wavac EC300B >Tannoy Canterbury SE

HP Rig ++ >Woo WES/ > Stax SR-009, Audeze LCD2

I've noticed I can play hdtracks samples in Camino but not Safari.

I use Safari by default, but in many respects, Camino is better.

The download manager is a stand-alone Java applet, so it shouldn't matter what browser you use.

Those having trouble maybe have an older version of Java or maybe some security setting has expired or something?

I hate the B&W download manager more, BTW. But I have never had any trouble with either.

(Unless it truncated Lush Life to 44.1 kHz.)

Even if the "download manager is a stand-alone Java applet", each browser handles it, his own way: You can't go direct to the HD Tracks download manager, you need a browser to do it.

Right now there are some web places gaven recommendations in how to disable Java in each popular browser, since there is a virus in some "social networks" handled by (Sun) Java.

Then CA members with downloading problems, should also check if they have Java enabled.

Roch

• 3 weeks later...

HDTRACKS.COM

Administrative Contact, Technical Contact:

Chesky Records, Inc. @hdtracks.com

P.O. Box 1268 Radio City Station

New York, NY 10101

US

866-433-5133 fax: 999 999 9999

DIGITAL: Windows 7 x64 JRMC19 >Adnaco S3B fiber over USB (battery power)> Auralic Vega > Tortuga LDR custom LPSU > Zu Union Cubes + Deep Hemp Sub

ANALOG: PTP Audio Solid 9 > Audiomods Series V > Audio Technica Art-7 MC > Allnic H1201 > Tortuga LDR > Zu Union Cubes + Deep Hemp Sub

ACCESSORIES: PlatterSpeed, BlackCat cables, Antipodes Cables, Huffman Cables, Feickert Protracter, OMA Graphite mat, JRemote

• 4 weeks later...

In October I was unable to download a purchased album from HDTracks (though I'd been successful before). After WEEKS of waiting for help from customer service, I got an email saying that the problem was the media, not my computer.

The email offered a refund or credit. I requested the refund, but never got it (I didn't realize this part until today when I checked on it).

This week I tried to download a new Rolling Stones album but again hit the same problem - something wrong with my internet connection. There's nothing wrong with my internet connection, and I just tried it again after a Java update showed up this morning - same result.

I sent an email for help with this on 3/7 and have yet to hear back.

I'm glad to hear someone is having success with their customer service, but I've had nothing but trouble.

My experience with alot of audio manufacturer's is their response to emails is usually horrible. If you want your problem usually fixed easily and promptly with hdtracks, do it the old fashioned way...call them 212-586-7799. I have called them a few times to correct an issue that was their fault and 1 issue that was my fault. Both times I was directed to support techs and issues were taken care of. Only problem I had was no tech support during last winter's snowstorm but that was totally understandable. I have also found that trying to get in touch with manufacturer's during big audio shows such as rmaf and ces is difficult as their support staff is usually involved with their show displays.

I have found a number of companies do not have proper staffing to support email issues. They would be actually better off not even listing email address for support issues as the above complaints show that no response is much worse than not having email support.

Other than I hate Java apps (and have to re-enter my login info each time I run it), it has worked perfectly for me over several purchases (Mac OS X, 10.6.6).

John Walker - IT Executive

Headphone - SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable Ethernet > mRendu Roon endpoint > Topping D90 > Topping A90d > Dan Clark Expanse / HiFiMan H6SE v2 / HiFiman Arya Stealth

Home Theater / Music -SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable HDMI > Denon X3700h > Anthem Amp for front channels > Revel F208-based 5.2.4 Atmos speaker system

Thanks for your answer -did the trick.

The 866 number just leaves a message but the 212 got me right through to support, who was very helpful.

The failed download in October was blocking my ability to download the Stones album.

He cleared the block, got my Stones download started and offered a free download for anything else on the site for my refund that never happened.

Thanks to the Computeraudiophile community!

Glad to help. May I suggest for issues with other manufacturer's to use the AudioGon website. On the right side under "Resources" there is an "Industry Directory" subtitle which directs you to alot of the audio industry. FWIW hdtracks, for those that do not know, is a part of Chesky Records, which is the number I gave in an earlier post.

I'm not sure if this is relevant to the trouble downloading rom HDtracks issue but I want to mention it just incase.

A couple weeks ago I purchased a 1.5 GB movie through iTunes and the download said it would take 47 hours. I new something was not right because it has worked very well in the past. After some research I found the problem was with my DNS. I was using google DNS (8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4). As soon as I changed this to the Comcast DNS server my download completed in less than 10 minutes.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

The MacInTouch website recently had several comments that the Google DNS servers have been unreliable lately. Most people recommended the OpenDNS servers:

208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220

HQPlayer (on 3.8 GHz 8-core i7 iMac 2020) > NAA (on 2012 Mac Mini i7) > RME ADI-2 v2 > Benchmark AHB-2 > Thiel 3.7

• 3 weeks later...

Last night and earlier today, I have "successfully" purchased and downloaded 3 or 4 albums from HDTracks.

I have been happy as a clam listening to the music - excellent. And although the download system seemed clunky at best, it seemed to work.

I didn't really pay any attention to the emails I was getting from the site until around noon today when I was cleaning up my inbox.

What I discovered, unfortunately, is that for each of the orders I placed, it was doubled (even though I clicked check out only once) - for example, I ordered Rolling Stones, High Tides and Green Grass. The website assigned two consecutively numbered orders for the one disc, and charged my credit card twice. Same thing for all three orders I placed (and for the order where I ordered two albums at once, it charged me twice for both of them). Just confirmed with my bank online.

I have written to the webmaster using the (again very clunky) email form - but have not heard a peep. And no phone number (though I just saw one now above). I will try that next.

I came across this thread by searching on the web for HDTracks credit card problems...

Just from reading through quickly, it appears they could really use a LOT of help with their website and the customer experience. If I had read this thread first, I very well might not have made a purchase there in the first place, despite some of the great selections they have.

I DON'T suspect them of trying to scam me - I suspect its a software problem. But frustrating as heck anyhow. I am going to remove account for the time being until I can get this cleared up. Doesn't give me a warm, fuzzy feeling about the security of my information.

I am using Mac OS 10, latest build of Safari (seems the site may not like Macs or Safari).

Anybody else experience this?

Office desktop: iMac ((Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015) (4 GHz Intel Core i7) (512GB SSD) (32GB Ram)) => USB (Kimber Kable USB Silver) => V-Link 192 USB Input => V-Link Coax Output (AQ Sidewinder) => Schiit Bifrost Multibit Coax Input => Schiit Bifrost Multibit RCA Output => Schitt Pyst => Schitt Asgard 2 => (Audioquest - Mini-3) => Audioengine HD6 (slave connected with Audioquest Type 4 cable) (Pangea AC-14 Power Cord) (IsoAcoustic L8R155 stands) => Audioquest Sidewinders => Audioengine S8 Subwoofer

They are very slow to respond. A few months back I had a real problem with the download manager. I tried it on 5 different computers with different operating systems. Finally gave up and demanded a refund. Weeks later they finally responded and refunded my money. I don't think they are trying to scam you. But they must be very overworked.

I've been afraid to purchase another download. I am really tempted by the new Rolling stones releases though.

the RS "Big Hits, High Tides" and "Through the Past Darkly" that I purchased (although so far paying twice for) are in heavy rotation here right now. These are couple of the best 60's "best ofs" that have ever been issued, and these versions sound great!

I have to laugh thinking back... in junior high, I was in a band and we tried covering most of these songs... some were easy... but still, great memories. I can vividly remember my (now) wife sitting stage side (in the cafeteria) while we played. I noticed her, but didn't really know her then. We actually didn't start dating until 2 or 3 years later.

That's one thing I LOVE about music. A certain song can bring me right back to a time/place with exacting detail.

Office desktop: iMac ((Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015) (4 GHz Intel Core i7) (512GB SSD) (32GB Ram)) => USB (Kimber Kable USB Silver) => V-Link 192 USB Input => V-Link Coax Output (AQ Sidewinder) => Schiit Bifrost Multibit Coax Input => Schiit Bifrost Multibit RCA Output => Schitt Pyst => Schitt Asgard 2 => (Audioquest - Mini-3) => Audioengine HD6 (slave connected with Audioquest Type 4 cable) (Pangea AC-14 Power Cord) (IsoAcoustic L8R155 stands) => Audioquest Sidewinders => Audioengine S8 Subwoofer

I purchased two albums today and experienced no issue - but I paid via PayPal instead of credit card, so it could still be a problem with their credit card acceptance software.

John Walker - IT Executive

Headphone - SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable Ethernet > mRendu Roon endpoint > Topping D90 > Topping A90d > Dan Clark Expanse / HiFiMan H6SE v2 / HiFiman Arya Stealth

Home Theater / Music -SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable HDMI > Denon X3700h > Anthem Amp for front channels > Revel F208-based 5.2.4 Atmos speaker system

Never was able to speak to a soul... and I called the number during business hours about 10 times and listened to the friendly lady say that would call me back right away... but received an email today that the double charges to my credit card that occurred (just about a hundred bucks worth) were being credited.

So, creaky, not very responsive, not very customer friendly interface... but results, I think.

Perhaps this is a good example of good product, but poor execution in delivering and responding to customer problems?

HD Tracks download manager sucks !!

I have been the last three days trying to download what I bought. I am still missing more than 70% ... I think it will take a month before I am done ...

The experience with B&W Music Club, couldn't be better, it works flawlessly. I have just downloaded 1Gb in about 3 minutes.

If HD Tracks wants to be taken seriously they have to radically improve their download manager. It shouldn't be very difficult ...

Iniatially I was using Google Chrome, than I changed to Internet Explorer it improved a little bit but still very slow.

I have tried on my wife's iMAC, still the same problem ... extremely slow compared to other sites (the only I have used so far is the B&W Music Club).

Maybe I have to try Firefox ....