IGNORED

HDtracks download manager...

Note to their water-carrier boy who reads this thread and has been diligently informing them of all these problems. Don't bother. I already sent them a link on their contact form. They should get it once the carrier pigeon (their back end) reaches them.

But do keep blaming everyone else but them. Because it's certainly not their fault that people have things like broadband, routers, ISPs, firewalls, anti-virus, Windows, Macs or any of the other odd things people have that supposedly caused the problems they report. I'm sure Linn or Amazon or iTunes haven't figured out how to deal with any of that either.

wideopenvista. That is quite a rant! Very well put too. I have exactly the same feelings, word by word for many of the points you raise.

Macbook pro 15\" 2.53ghz core 2 duo with Amarra, 1 TB storage, 6 GB memory -> USB locus-design nucleus cable -> EA overdrive DAC -> -> modded parasound JC1 monoblocks -> cadence ARCA loudspeakers + REL studio III

Amen brother, well said.

If they cared it would have been fixed.

They don't so it ain't, enough said.

\"It would be a mistake to demonize any particular philosophy. To do so forces people into entrenched positions and encourages the adoption of unhelpful defensive reactions, thus missing the opportunity for constructive dialog\"[br] - Martin Colloms - stereophile.com

Yeah, they apparently don't get the concept of usability in this context. THEIR JOB IS TO MAKE THEIR SYSTEM DEAD EASY TO USE. That means the service cannot be stopped by routers and firewalls that don't specifically target the software (would require user configuration to block). It means they can't tell people they need to get a more compatible ISP (what?!?!?). It means if the downloader doesn't work on cable broadband it's NOT because cable is shared among multiple users (so is DSL, just further upstream). It means that they can't tell Mac users to go stuff it and use a PC. Macs are the fastest growing segment of the PC industry, intimately associated with music creation/production/consumption and the folks who buy them have the disposable income to buy premium music. Next year something like 40 million iPads are projected to be sold. Why? People are walking into Apple stores to get an iPod or just to browse and walking out with iPads (which are also iPods) and sometimes with a Mac in the other arm (what better computer to pair it with?). Apple is quickly taking over the world of mobile and (what's left of) personal computing. Anyone who doesn't realize this shouldn't be in the technology business (which HDtracks pretends to be).

If it requires authoring platform-specific software on Windows and Mac then that's what they need to do. Java is a poor man's excuse for client-side software and it never really works (and has an awful user interface!) I still believe this whole thing can be accomplished server side with someone who really knows .NET or PHP. But in either case they need to stop fiddling, stop blaming and FIND A REAL SOLUTION. However, if they want a shitty music service with bad word of mouth that will eventually flame out, then HDtracks should keep doing what they're doing.

My job is to diagnose issues like these for my clients. I run servers, administer and create websites (programming and problem solving), acquire and install software and hardware on Windows/Macs, troubleshoot networks, you name it. You are not going to tell me this is my fault.

Well this thread is certainly spinning down the drain.

With all of 3 posts mr.wideopenvista has proven it's a good idea not to drink and post. I really don't recall anywhere that stated the users are at fault. And it may well be the "water carrier" is our moderator and site founder. Chris, you must be bustin' a gut right now.

No doubt there are problems with the service for a number of users. If the service sucks, then spend your money elsewhere. Pretty simple solution.

Time to listen to some music.

Seriously, you don't recall "anywhere that stated the users are at fault"? Scroll up.

First, the email responses I've gotten (and described) from HDtracks in the past (and many others have reported the same thing) suggest that it's something on my end. Also, their website is full of user-error red herrings. The only time they've ever admitted that it's their fault was today (finally!) when I made it clear to them I was knowledgeable enough to call their bluff. I've built ecommerce websites with highly confidential data on it and might know a thing or two about their business. I also administer the servers those sites sit on.

Secondly, and just one example: http://www.computeraudiophile.com/content/HDtracks-download-manager#comment-56602. And yes, it's Chris. How many more people with different systems, ISPs, network setups will it take before he stops repeating the ridiculous "help" that HDtracks has devised that just keeps innocent hamsters spinning in wheels and mostly avoids the issues altogether? Clearly these things don't work. They even admit it doesn't work (finally, today, in an email to me in which they concede some have "seemingly unresolvable problems" and they said they are investigating a new downloader and/or "alternate delivery method"). Why would they do this if it were a bunch of ignorant people who don't realize how cable modems work?

His statement about HDtracks wanting to make the process easy but, alas... there's security concerns so they can't. You don't think Linn or iTrax have to provide security? They get a free pass from the record companies? I just downloaded a bunch of tracks from iTrax and guess what system they have? A SERVER SIDE SYSTEM that works just fine. And why is he defending them, exactly?

I *am* spending my money elsewhere. And I encourage others to do the same. Maybe then they'll care.

Attacking my character isn't a substitute for having a cogent argument.

• 3 weeks later...

Count another customer extremely disappointed in HDTracks. After several successful downloads over the past few months, their download service apparently has once again lurched into uselessness. So, after repeated tries, and strictly pro forma responses to inquiries, I've asked for a refund. Other services (e.g., Hyperion, Passionato, Linn) continue to work well.

Too bad. Hope they fix their technologies soon.

Re: Take your business elsewhere

I understand this statement but I think it misses the point. You don't figure out how craptastic HDtracks download experience is until after you spend money with them. Good money, more than you would spend on a CD. Most of us spend a good bit of time trying to figure out what is wrong and then have to ask for and wait for a refund. Time is money my friend and I think we have a right to be a little bitter about the experience.

There isn't really anywhere else to take our business either (with the same/similar selection) which makes the experience an especially tragic waste of time.

I agree that the market will punish HDTracks. I just wish I wasnt one of their victims.

BUT, after saying all that I have to report that I have actually found a way to 'reliably' download tracks from HDtracks. Really. Here is what I have to do:

1. Unplug my Airport Extreme wireless router from my Cable modem (Comcast)

2. Plug my Windows 7 laptop directly into the cable modem

3. Power cycle the cable modem

4. Disable the work proxy on my laptop

5. Do this all after 12a Pacific time.

I have got it to work once during the day. I have not got it to work with my mac yet.

Yes, it works but how messed up can you get. I am without a wireless network while I download. I have to adjust a bunch of geeky stuff no normal person would know about.

In any case, I did get it to work and thought the rest of you might be interested in the steps.

Michael

FRONT END: Analog: Radikal Linn LP12 > Linn Urika 2 phono stage. Sound: Linn Klimax Organik DSM > Linn Duo amp >Maggie 3.7i  Wires + Power: Transparent: Reference Speaker, XL Power Conditioner + XL Power Cords. Furutech NFC Rhodium outlet on 10 gauge dedicated circuit with isolated ground Isolation: HRS SXR stand, M3X2 Bases. 

Connected to back end by: Transparent Ethernet 

BACK END: Digital: Internet > OpticalModule > EtherREGEN < AD Queen Squarewave Clock < Roon Nucleus + (internal 7TB SSD music library) Isolation: Salamander Archetype rack, HRS M3X2 base the under Nucleus, ER,Stillpoints under all others Power: Paul Hynes SR7T > Clock, Nucleus. SR7T > ER & OpticalModule, SR4 > Switch. Furutech NFC Rhodium outlet on 10 gauge dedicated circuit with isolated ground 

Thanks for the suggestion Chris.

I have tried that and it does not seem to work for me.

Michael

FRONT END: Analog: Radikal Linn LP12 > Linn Urika 2 phono stage. Sound: Linn Klimax Organik DSM > Linn Duo amp >Maggie 3.7i  Wires + Power: Transparent: Reference Speaker, XL Power Conditioner + XL Power Cords. Furutech NFC Rhodium outlet on 10 gauge dedicated circuit with isolated ground Isolation: HRS SXR stand, M3X2 Bases. 

Connected to back end by: Transparent Ethernet 

BACK END: Digital: Internet > OpticalModule > EtherREGEN < AD Queen Squarewave Clock < Roon Nucleus + (internal 7TB SSD music library) Isolation: Salamander Archetype rack, HRS M3X2 base the under Nucleus, ER,Stillpoints under all others Power: Paul Hynes SR7T > Clock, Nucleus. SR7T > ER & OpticalModule, SR4 > Switch. Furutech NFC Rhodium outlet on 10 gauge dedicated circuit with isolated ground 

That is nothing if not purely insane. There has to be something else going on, though understand, whatever it is, it is happening because the HDTracks people have something misconfigured or screwy.

I wonder if they are delivering the music through Akami or whatever that massive proxy server setup is called? That causes me trouble all the time.

-Paul

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

HD tracks may not be great, I find it pretty OK but clearly others don't, but Topspin Media Inc, the lot I bought the high Res Band On The Run from, are in a different league of complete incompetence...

The first download failed, 4 days later they sent a second link to a file that also failed, today I have been a links to a bunch of separate .wav files. (I guess these won't have any metadata)

I have not tried these yet as each of the previous links took 6 hours to download which is a new record for slowness...

Trying to make sense of all the bits...MacMini/Amarra -> WavIO USB to I2S -> DDDAC 1794 NOS DAC -> Active XO ->Bass Amp Avondale NCC200s, Mid/Treble Amp Sugden Masterclass -> My Own Speakers

Using Firefox under Ubuntu 10.04 (and then 10.10) I was frustrated with HD Tracks - couldn't get downloads to start. I thought it was a Java issue, but updating solved nothing.

Weirdly, installing Chrome made everything fine. I now use Chrome for all HD Tracks stuff. It's not *too* geeky, (having to use a separate browser for downloads) and is otherwise plug n' play. I understand this is at the magic spells/sacrificing chickens level but...it worked.

Scott A.

Watertown NY

\"...many people are doped up, drunk, compulsive liars or completely bat-s**t insane. And some are all of those, all the time.\" - found on Slashdot, 4.11.11

• 3 weeks later...

am sorry to hear of those people having problems with HDtracks downloads, and I hope that eventually HDtracks will reconfigure their system to provide a better experience for all. But, I think it is important to point out that the experiences shared in this thread are not the norm-reading this thread, a person with no experience with HDtracks might get the idea that it is difficult, or even impossible, to download music from HDtracks without problems.

I am no computer genius, in fact, I am often quite at a loss when dealing with any kind of computer issues. That said, I have downloaded quite a few 24/96 titles from HDtracks, without any difficulty whatsoever. I start the download, and the files end up in my HDtracks music folder without any problems. I have never had a problem downloading from HDtracks.

I use a MacBook, running the latest version of OSX, and the internet connection is provided by Comcast. The network is wireless, running from a single Airport Express.

I am not making excuses for HDtracks, it is clear that some people are having problems, and these need to be addressed. I am posting here to try and provide some balance to this thread. I would also point out that there is no real risk involved with purchasing from HDtracks, as in the event of any kind of problem, your credit card company can always reclaim your funds.

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

No problems here...

Mac Mini, Mac Pro, iMac, and Mac books...

all on OS 10.6.5

Browser: Chrome

High speed Comcast via Apple WiFi.

Open baffle with Feastrex for the top end and 16\" AE for the bass.[br]Pass labs 30.5 drives the AE and my own 45 with Intact Audio output transformers all silver build drives the Feastrex. [br]Lynx Aurora with Antelope clock.[br]Pure Music does the crossover work. Mac mini with a SSD and a Glyph hd for the data. [br]West of the Pecos...[br]East of the Rio Grande...

This truly is strange, I am running a MBP with the latest updates, 5MB DSL service, wireless with an Airport Extreme, (so similar to the users above with positive results) and I can download anything on the net, but HDTracks just gives me fits, doesn't make sense.

\"It would be a mistake to demonize any particular philosophy. To do so forces people into entrenched positions and encourages the adoption of unhelpful defensive reactions, thus missing the opportunity for constructive dialog\"[br] - Martin Colloms - stereophile.com

Try the Chrome Browser...

I had problems with the Safari Browser...Like, it would not work.

Open baffle with Feastrex for the top end and 16\" AE for the bass.[br]Pass labs 30.5 drives the AE and my own 45 with Intact Audio output transformers all silver build drives the Feastrex. [br]Lynx Aurora with Antelope clock.[br]Pure Music does the crossover work. Mac mini with a SSD and a Glyph hd for the data. [br]West of the Pecos...[br]East of the Rio Grande...

because you aren't downloading using the browser. You are using a Java app that is browser and platform independent.

The more I hear others' stories, the more I think this issue depends on your ISP and how they handle certain traffic. But IT IS HDTRACKS' RESPONSIBILITY to find a way around it. They can't expect ISPs or people with common configurations to work around their problematic download manager. I say this as a programmer and systems consultant.

I totally agree it is THEIR problem.

But

Chrome worked and Safari did not... Why I have no clue.

Have you guys tried Blue Coast Downloads?

After an unfortunate accident involving my Ubuntu install, I ended up having to reinstall the OS and, separately, java.

Now Firefox handles HDTracks just fine. Go figure.

Scott A.

\"...many people are doped up, drunk, compulsive liars or completely bat-s**t insane. And some are all of those, all the time.\" - found on Slashdot, 4.11.11