IGNORED

HDtracks download manager...

I am having huge problems with the HDtracks download manager. The HDtracks use their own java based downloader. I have been trying to complete an album download since last three days. It partially downloads a song and then gets stuck. I restart the downloader. Only after repeated attempts a single song gets loaded before getting stuck again. I am at my wits end.

Any suggestions, anybody?

Macbook pro 15\" 2.53ghz core 2 duo with Amarra, 1 TB storage, 6 GB memory -> USB locus-design nucleus cable -> EA overdrive DAC -> -> modded parasound JC1 monoblocks -> cadence ARCA loudspeakers + REL studio III

Hmm. Make sure you've updated to the newest version of Java via Mac Software Update. Also you can ajdust some of the Java settings in the utilities folder (within the applications folder).

This sounds like something that has come up a few times here before. Hopefully others will chime in here.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

• 1 month later...

Having the same problem, Snow Leopard, Macbook Pro, software update done.

Rebooted. Using Firefox. Restarted download manager 4 times. No luck.

24 hours, same song....

\"It would be a mistake to demonize any particular philosophy. To do so forces people into entrenched positions and encourages the adoption of unhelpful defensive reactions, thus missing the opportunity for constructive dialog\"[br] - Martin Colloms - stereophile.com

I checked and I am running the latest Java from Apple.

48 hours and no response from HDTracks, not even a courtesy email. I am asking for a refund and taking my business elsewhere, they obviously don't need it.

\"It would be a mistake to demonize any particular philosophy. To do so forces people into entrenched positions and encourages the adoption of unhelpful defensive reactions, thus missing the opportunity for constructive dialog\"[br] - Martin Colloms - stereophile.com

Guest WATERLOGIC

Looks you have some kind of a mess up on your comp ? This is easily possible.

Last resort : Find a Windows machine and do it from there (I suppose you do not want to reinstall OS X ? - chances are that with the next Apple update it will work on your mac ( OS X ) as well)

WL

• 2 weeks later...

I just downloaded the AIFF version of their Head-Fi collaboration in about 10 minutes. I'm running OSX 10.6.2 and using Safari along with the latest Java version for Mac on my 13" MacBook Pro.

Bill

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.

Mac Mini->Roon + Tidal->KEF LS50W

• 3 weeks later...

The HDtracks download manager, even at it's best is very poor....

a) Is very slow

b) Does not recover from re-established network connection.

c) It takes close to 15 minutes to ascertain that it has hung, from the time you first suspect it. Because you have to give the stupid status bar that much to figure out it is not going any where.

Which is kind of sad, because otherwise, Hdtracks is such a fine site. Why does not the hdtracks provide the normal download links which the buyer can use with his own download managers, instead of imposing their own java based DL manager.

Sanjay

Macbook pro 15\" 2.53ghz core 2 duo with Amarra, 1 TB storage, 6 GB memory -> USB locus-design nucleus cable -> EA overdrive DAC -> -> modded parasound JC1 monoblocks -> cadence ARCA loudspeakers + REL studio III

Seeing their fine collection, get tempted to buy a few albums and then regret as my woes with the DL manager continues...

If you are, like most of us, on a wireless network, go into the network settings and select "Use Interference Robustness." You might have to do this on your Airport Base Station. It will probably correct the problem, which is most likely packet queing delays on your network.

Also check your download speeds - if below 1mbs, then it just won't work well at all. The Java client gets too many timeouts.

The client is coded for fast networks with minimal latency, and works pretty well if that is what you have. Otherwise, it can be very frustrating!

-Paul

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

I don't see why customers need to pursue "maybe this or maybe that" technoprattle when the responsibility for the fix lies with HD Tracks. If you want to see how a download service should work look at the Hyperion company from Britain. Whoever designed the site has the talent and breadth of view that serves the company's needs--and the needs of customers.

I was one of the people whose credit card was hacked to a "tune" of $2000 through HD Tracks last year, so I held off for some months before returning to purchase a download. Now every download is a hit and miss travail before I have the music on my computer. In the HD Tracks record company lists the ones marked "coming soon" have been so marked for more than a year now. Not a growing concern, it seems.

--fm

Qobuz via Aurender N10 > Devialet Expert Pro > Audio Physic Avantera

I can see your point, and if I visited a site and had a problem with credit card fraud from that visit, I would be more than a tad annoyed myself. Indeed, I would not be half so polite as you are, and thanks for the heads up.

Still, from a technical point of view, unless you control both ends of the communication link it is nearly impossible to guarantee trouble free downloads. Java applets, like Download Managers, have more control than a plain HTML download, but lack quite a bit from what a standalone application like iTunes can do.

-Paul

Robert A. Heinlein

I run Windows XP Prof SP2, latest FireFox, latest Java. Whenever I use HDtracks, I have trouble starting the download. The first 3 or 4 times I get an error message that says "can't find 'Serv'-something" with a second comment that I should check if I have the latest Java, which I do. After it finally starts, it is very fast. I have not had it crash in the middle of a download, after a successful start.

Mike

Paul, this particular java applet provides no control.

a) It's pause continue tab is ineffective, as after removing the pause it always hangs.

b) After an interruption in the network connectivity it never continues downloading the song but begins all over again.

c) Does not give any indication of the "proof of life" like a running byte loaded counter.

d) Does not allow to change the order of downloading.

e) It is slow.

And to top it, lately it behaves very erratically. I have to re-initiate downloading of the same song multiple times before it is complete. It did not use to be this bad.

If I use a downloader like igetter, with provided html links, I get all the flexibility. The best java applet based DL I have seen was the one provided by allofmp3 long time back.

Sanjay

Wow - that is a lot of frustration! I would simply avoid using it then, which is the conclusion you seem to have came to anyways.

I can essentially duplicate the issues you list above by simulating network behavior here, so without excusing what must be some pretty poor coding, I do think your network is magnifying the issue. In specific, this downloader seems very sensitive to packet queueing delays, which is something your ISP pretty much controls.

If you are using a cable modem, you might also check for static buildup around any splitters or connectors. A simple ground wire can help a lot, though honestly, static buildup usually drastically affects download speeds more than anything else. If you have a 10mbs connection that runs at .03mbs, static is one of the classic culprits.

-Paul

Robert A. Heinlein

Agreed.

I sent HD Tracks a copy of a link to this forum, lets see if they actually do anything.

My experience with them as a customer was that they took days to even respond.

When they did, they did not provide any help to me.

Hi Guys - I just purchased a 24/96 album and the download manager is working perfect for me. I have the newest version of Mac OS X and all the updates from the built-in Software Update app. As an FYI for some people who may have missed it here is the message HDtracks displays on the download page.

"Thank you for using HDtracks.com. The Download Manager will launch and your music will automatically start downloading.

If for some reason your download doesn't start, click Here for Windows, or Here for Mac to upgrade your Java version. Please note that there is a bug in Java 1.6.0_14 and 1.6.0_15 that disables the download manager. If you have these versions, please update to the latest version."

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

That Java warning message seems different that the one I saw when I was having problems. I wonder if they now have figured out the problem? I will have to try it soon.