IGNORED

Show us your equipment / kit !

• 1 month later...

FWIW, I did have some wireless connection problems with the AudioEngine D2. By moving the WiFi router/access point across the room (office) from the D2, these problems seem to have gone away. Right now, things are fairly stable.

I wish this was still the case. I continue to have sporadic issues with the D2, ranging from barely audible noise to complete and almost continous cutouts. Very erratic.

Have made a few changes in the last 12 months...

Most recent arrival are the speakers I have dreamed of since hearing their predecessor nearly 10 years ago: Audiovector Si3 Avantgarde Arretes.

Last pic is the view from the listening position as the sun is setting in early Spring (Fall!) in southern Australia :D

EO long view.JPG

EO from couch.JPG

EO electronics.JPG

EO angle 2.JPG

EO speaker.JPG

EO view from couch.JPG

Roon / JRiver with Audiolense XO -> Chord Hugo TT2 -> Cyrus Mono x200 Signatures -> Audiovector Si3 Avantgarde Arretes

Nice system Eternaloptimist! You have a huge room. I am jealous. Here in Southern California I can only afford a little shack by the beach. My listening room is only 9x10'. I noticed your left speaker is next to a a window. So you find the reflection bothersome? Have you tried covering the glass to see if there is any improvement?

By the way, Australia is such a beautiful country. But I am sure you know that! I sent my kids there last summer. They loved it!

12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments

I noticed your left speaker is next to a a window. So you find the reflection bothersome? Have you tried covering the glass to see if there is any improvement?

For years I had assumed glass would be the most reflective material of all, but as it turns out, glass is actually more absorptive than many think (more absorbing across the frequency spectrum than drywall, for example). Glass actually does a half-decent job of absorbing frequencies lower than 500 Hz, but of course above 500 Hz it is quite reflective, although not really any more reflective above 500 Hz than other commonly found room surface materials:

Absorption_zps158c05b7.gif

Speaker Room: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Pacific 2 | Viva Linea | Constellation Inspiration Stereo 1.0 | FinkTeam Kim | dual Rythmik E15HP subs  

Office Headphone System: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Golden Gate 3 | Viva Egoista | Abyss AB1266 Phi TC 

Here's something different.

Instead of playback gear,

includes a short tour of my recording gear (and a preview of my most recent recording).

Best regards,

Barry

Soundkeeper Recordings

The Soundkeeper | Audio, Music, Recording, Playback

Barry Diament Audio

Badass. Where is the album on your site?

W10 NUC i7 (Gen 10) > Roon (Audiolense FIR) > Motu UltraLite mk5 > (4) Hypex NCore NC502MP > JBL M2 Master Reference +4 subs

Watch my Podcast https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXMw_bZWBMtRWNJQfTJ38kA/videos

Badass. Where is the album on your site?

Thank you jtwrace,

The album, called "Winds of Change", isn't released yet. I just finished the mastering and we still need to do the artwork.

I expect it will be released in a couple of months.

I wrote a little about it in the most recent entry in the Soundkeeper blog.

When ready for release, it will be announced on the Soundkeeper site.

I just thought folks might find the tour of the recording gear and the preview of some tunes, of interest.

Best regards,

Barry

Soundkeeper Recordings

Barry Diament Audio

Thank you jtwrace,

The album, called "Winds of Change", isn't released yet. I just finished the mastering and we still need to do the artwork.

I just thought folks might find the tour of the recording gear and the preview of some tunes, of interest.

Best regards,

Barry

Soundkeeper Recordings

Barry Diament Audio

Is there a way to pre-order?

W10 NUC i7 (Gen 10) > Roon (Audiolense FIR) > Motu UltraLite mk5 > (4) Hypex NCore NC502MP > JBL M2 Master Reference +4 subs

Watch my Podcast https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXMw_bZWBMtRWNJQfTJ38kA/videos

Hi jtwrace,

Thank you so much for your interest. There *will* be pre-orders but we haven't opened them up just yet as there is still some work to be done. This will be announced on the Soundkeeper site and of course, to the folks on the Soundkeeper mail list.

If you'd like to join the mail list (we don't share your email address with anyone), you can do so here.

Thank you again for your much appreciated interest.

Best regards,

Barry

Soundkeeper Recordings

Barry Diament Audio

Hi jtwrace,

Thank you so much for your interest. There *will* be pre-orders but we haven't opened them up just yet as there is still some work to be done. This will be announced on the Soundkeeper site and of course, to the folks on the Soundkeeper mail list.

If you'd like to join the mail list (we don't share your email address with anyone), you can do so here.

Thank you again for your much appreciated interest.

Best regards,

Barry

Soundkeeper Recordings

Barry Diament Audio

Done.

Chomping at the bit too ? (grin)

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

Chomping at the bit too ? (grin)

Really liked the music from the video. I asked my wife if she liked it and she said "Yes, I like it a lot....it sounds like 70's Folk Rock". Just as a side note we were born in 1975.

Thank you jtwrace,

Best regards,

Barry

Soundkeeper Recordings

Barry Diament Audio

My first thought was "Fun!" My second thought was "Oh, Barry just said something like that, didn't he?"

I'll definitely be getting this.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

includes a short tour of my recording gear (and a preview of my most recent recording).

Best regards,

Barry

Soundkeeper Recordings

Barry Diament Audio

Excellent! When I saw your microphone set up I immediately thought of the cover photo of "MAonSA," on Todd Garfinkle's MA Recordings label. You two gentlemen are definitely kindred spirits!

And yes, as a Soundkeeper Recordings "repeat offender," I signed onto your mailing list.

Esau

Have made a few changes in the last 12 months...

Most recent arrival are the speakers I have dreamed of since hearing their predecessor nearly 10 years ago: Audiovector Si3 Avantgarde Arretes.

Last pic is the view from the listening position as the sun is setting in early Spring (Fall!) in southern Australia :D

Just curious ... but have you tried the speakers further forwards so that the large cabinet is not so much between the speakers - or indeed moving the cabinet completely?

PS. looks a lovely setup.

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Thank you for sharing ...

I'm curious though ... in your "introduction" to the recording equipment, you describe the two main microphones, but I see in the video there are additional microphones for the vocalists, etc. Are these amplified separately and then you record the ambient signal from the room? How are these mixed / amplified?

Eloise

---

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

Thank you for sharing ...

I'm curious though ... in your "introduction" to the recording equipment, you describe the two main microphones, but I see in the video there are additional microphones for the vocalists, etc. Are these amplified separately and then you record the ambient signal from the room? How are these mixed / amplified?

Hi Eloise,

? The two mics I point to are not the "main" mics, they're the *only* mics.

I'm not sure what you are seeing that you take to be microphones but I make a point of using no more than one microphone per playback channel. Since I'm recording in stereo, all the audio you hear is captured by that pair alone--the grand total does not exceed the two I point to in the "tour".

Perhaps you're seeing music stands?

Best regards,

Barry

Soundkeeper Recordings

Barry Diament Audio

Hi Barry, it's nice to be able to put a face to a name. Thanks for sharing - really, really interesting stuff. I'll definitely be buying the album once it's out.

Oh, and I think Eloise is likely mistaking the centre baffle for a microphone.

Cheers, Mani.

Main: SOtM sMS-200 -> Okto dac8PRO -> 6x Neurochrome 286 mono amps -> Tune Audio Anima horns + 2x Rotel RB-1590 amps -> 4 subs

Home Office: SOtM sMS-200 -> MOTU UltraLite-mk5 -> 6x Neurochrome 286 mono amps -> Impulse H2 speakers

Vinyl: Technics SP10 / London (Decca) Reference -> Trafomatic Luna -> RME ADI-2 Pro

The two mics I point to are not the "main" mics, they're the *only* mics.

I'm not sure what you are seeing that you take to be microphones but I make a point of using no more than one microphone per playback channel. Since I'm recording in stereo, all the audio you hear is captured by that pair alone--the grand total does not exceed the two I point to in the "tour".

My apologies Barry ... looking back at the video I realise I am looking at the microphones (and baffle) you described (Mani was correct).

Can I ask how close the microphone arrangement is placed to the front of the "stage"? It appears like the centre baffle is immediately in front of the lead singer (guitarist) is that the case.

(Just trying to learn a little more here and embarrassed myself completely)

Eloise

Eloise

---

We all make mistakes. Even Ms. perfect. ;-)

If I meet Miss Perfect I'll check is she's right ...

I'm more...

MissBad.gif

Little Miss Bad

Eloise

---

My apologies Barry ... looking back at the video I realise I am looking at the microphones (and baffle) you described (Mani was correct).

Can I ask how close the microphone arrangement is placed to the front of the "stage"? It appears like the centre baffle is immediately in front of the lead singer (guitarist) is that the case.

(Just trying to learn a little more here and embarrassed myself completely)

Eloise

Hi Eloise,

No apologies necessary. I thought perhaps you were looking at parts of music stands. In any event, the mic stand holding the baffle and stereo array is always placed at the very front of the "stage". (I place it right at the edge. Any closer to the audience and it would fall.)

The lead singer is approximately 24" (~61 cm) from the mic array. This distance may appear foreshortened in the video, as telephoto lenses tend to compress apparent depth of field.

Best regards,

Barry

Soundkeeper Recordings

Barry Diament Audio