IGNORED

Show us your equipment / kit !

Any quick (or more extensive if you like) impressions of the SYS?

I have tried to avoid the use of a preamp, since I am a believer in minimising the signal path and only require one input, but since the Concero HD has no volume control and most of my listening involves the use of HQPlayer for DSD ( or PCM converted to DSD ) where software volume control is not available, I needed something as I await the Pulse Xfi.

Therefore I got the SYS and PYST cables from Schiit for around $70. My initial impressions were that there was perhaps a (very) small decrease in SQ, but I need more time to break it in before I can truly say. As you know it is a very simple device - two inputs, one output, one pot for VC and an input switch; no power. The pot does not have a real smooth feel and I am not sure about its quality, but the investment is small and now I no longer need to adjust the volume on the Adams.

Not sure this is a useful evaluation at this point, but I am happy with this inexpensive investment.

You must have chaos within you to give birth to a dancing star

Excellent chart.......but it doesn't extend far enough to meet the needs of audiophiles! Lol

On a serious note, yes you are correct it he spectrum were cropped but look what happens as frequency increases? The harder surfaces become less absorbing so at 4000hz, 96% of the acoustic energy is reflected which was my point of sounding increasingly 'bright'.

You are correct, although the differences between drywall/plaster and glass above 4khz are still rather small (4% compared to 9%).

My overall point is that when it comes to absorption, glass is only slightly worse above 4khz and is better at all other frequencies below 4khz.

I always assumed glass would be much more reflective than typical wall surfaces. My front/speaker wall consists entirely of very large, two story tall windows and when I set up the listening room I was very concerned, until I started doing some research and talking to GIK Acoustics when ordering my acoustic treatments.

The moral of the story is that if someone wants to tame high frequencies, they can't assume typical wall surfaces will work, as all typical wall surfaces perform poorly at high frequencies. Carpets, drapes or better yet, acoustic panels are mandatory.

Speaker Room: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Pacific 2 | Viva Linea | Constellation Inspiration Stereo 1.0 | FinkTeam Kim | dual Rythmik E15HP subs  

Office Headphone System: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Golden Gate 3 | Viva Egoista | Abyss AB1266 Phi TC 

In my special situation the glass door behind the speaker makes no sonical difference in the high frequencies. The first reflection of that glass door does not show in my direction, but to the other (right) side of the room. I think, a wooden and painted door would not make any significant difference.

If I used a carpet behind the speaker, I had to do that on the left side too. But reverberation in my room is okay, there is no need for a carpet or similar, at least not behind the speakers. If any, I'd like to tune the ceiling, but the other family members won't ;)

Best practise of room tuning: diffraction behind the speakers and absorbtion behind the listener. Every room tuning expert will tell the same.

You are correct, although the differences between drywall/plaster and glass above 4khz are still rather small (4% compared to 9%).

My overall point is that when it comes to absorption, glass is only slightly worse above 4khz and is better at all other frequencies below 4khz.

I always assumed glass would be much more reflective than typical wall surfaces. My front/speaker wall consists entirely of very large, two story tall windows and when I set up the listening room I was very concerned, until I started doing some research and talking to GIK Acoustics when ordering my acoustic treatments.

The moral of the story is that if someone wants to tame high frequencies, they can't assume typical wall surfaces will work, as all typical wall surfaces perform poorly at high frequencies. Carpets, drapes or better yet, acoustic panels are mandatory.

Agreed.......the only assumpions can be made in regards to the speaker's radiation patters. Highly directive speakers of say 90 horizontal and 40 vertical eliminate A LOT of the problems associated with typical radiators and rooms. I won't ever use a dome tweeter or a cone midrange above 1khz ever again.

In my special situation the glass door behind the speaker makes no sonical difference in the high frequencies. The first reflection of that glass door does not show in my direction, but to the other (right) side of the room. I think, a wooden and painted door would not make any significant difference.

If I used a carpet behind the speaker, I had to do that on the left side too. But reverberation in my room is okay, there is no need for a carpet or similar, at least not behind the speakers. If any, I'd like to tune the ceiling, but the other family members won't ;)

Best practise of room tuning: diffraction behind the speakers and absorbtion behind the listener. Every room tuning expert will tell the same.

Sorry but i have to disagree with you on all counts including your previous assesment that bass response is smooth. Your perceptions may indicate so, but given two radiators in free space on stands and bounce from the floor and ceiling its simply not possible. Diffraction works from behind with a dipole or open baffle system, not so with direct radiators, particularly in the modal region from 500hz on down where the midbass drivers become exclusively omni directional.

....but im certainly happy that you're happy with your system and space regardless. In the end, that's all that counts, no?

Merry Christmas - Audiophile Christmukkah

God Jul til Svensk maniskor

DSC_0520.jpg

DSC_0306.jpg

DSC_0280.jpg

Aurender N10--> DCS Bartok w Rossini Clock—>Audio Research REF6 Pre --> Vandersteen M5HPA—>Vandersteen Quatro CT Speakers; AMG Giro Turntable w Lyra Delos Cartridge —> Audio Research Ref 3 PhonoPre

Happy Holidays CA!

I recently moved continents and had to do away with my floor standers. I decided to move my serious 2 channel listening room to my study and picked up a pair of KEF LS50's to match with my Auralic DAC and PRE, CAPS V3. I also built a pair of Hypex NCore400 monoblocks for amplification as they were small, run cool and enables me to hide away in my desk. Really happy with the near field set up and sound. ejn1

Pic below.

IMG_0178.JPG

Equipment:

Auralic Vega DAC, Auralic Taurus Preamp, KEF LS50 Speakers, Hypex Ncore400 monoblock amps, CAPs V3, Paul Hynes SR5 (12v and 9v rails), Audioquest King Cobra XLRs, Signal Cable speaker cable, Furutech power and USB cable

• 1 month later...
Happy Holidays CA!

I recently moved continents and had to do away with my floor standers. I decided to move my serious 2 channel listening room to my study and picked up a pair of KEF LS50's to match with my Auralic DAC and PRE, CAPS V3. I also built a pair of Hypex NCore400 monoblocks for amplification as they were small, run cool and enables me to hide away in my desk. Really happy with the near field set up and sound. ejn1

Pic below.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]16148[/ATTACH]

that is near-field alright !

I've never tried such a setup; if you're up to it I'd really like to hear more of your listening experiences with this setup, the goods, bads etc. it's something I'm considering too, but never thought it would work that well.......

Grimm Mu-1 > Mola Mola Makua/DAC > Luxman m900u > Vivid Audio Kaya 90

that is near-field alright !

I've never tried such a setup; if you're up to it I'd really like to hear more of your listening experiences with this setup, the goods, bads etc. it's something I'm considering too, but never thought it would work that well.......

Hi, I'm really liking the KEF's and overall setup. At first I thought it would be a bit close but at a normal distance to my desk, the vocals are right at the center of my computer monitor with just a slight toe in of the KEF's. What's really fun about this setup is I feel that I'm hearing much less of the room dynamics sitting near field. Im sure Im getting reflections and echo but the pinpoint clarity is there and the speakers have plenty of bass with the ports open. Holographic imaging is not as good as my Audio Physics Virgo 25's but the KEF's are still amazing in their own right.

Also, the Auralic / Ncore / LS50 combination is extremely detailed yet smooth on the ear.

Equipment:

Auralic Vega DAC, Auralic Taurus Preamp, KEF LS50 Speakers, Hypex Ncore400 monoblock amps, CAPs V3, Paul Hynes SR5 (12v and 9v rails), Audioquest King Cobra XLRs, Signal Cable speaker cable, Furutech power and USB cable

• 1 month later...

The dust has finally settled, after about ten months of agonising over space and configuration, here's my rig in a studio lounge.

Where's the computer? In the garage, out of sight :) The Solid Tech Rack of silence 4 was out grown.

Audio 150308 3877.JPG

Main rack, Quadraspire Q4L with solid wood coasters for feet.. looking for something a little more substantial to spread the 120kg mass over a larger area. The headphone stand is home made out of off-cut timbers.

Audio 150308 3876.JPG

Equipment detail a little closer. Top to bottom, all Accuphase:

T-1100 Tuner

DP-720 SACD/CD Player

C-2420 Pre Amp

E-450 Integrated Amp

P-4200 Power Amp

The E-450 is used as a 'digital pre-amp' fitted with a DAC-30 and DAC-20 to switch digital inputs of the Yamaha and T-1100 Tuners, plus expand the XLR inputs to four total.

Audio 150308 3872.JPG

View from the listening chair, the audio rack is over the left shoulder, KEF Reference 205/2 Speakers. Cabling distance is about 10m from the amplifier, bi wired, although the KEF can accept tri wire/amp configs.

Audio 150308 3870.JPG

The Yamaha Tuner, Phonitor 2 under the now extinct Pioneer 720p Plasma TV, the model before Pioneer called it quits with making TVs.

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

Wow - very nice!

I still have your Phonitor 2 on my must audition list.

Analog: Koetsu Rosewood > VPI Aries 3 w/SDS > EAR 834P > EAR 834L: Audiodesk cleaner

Digital Fun: DAS > CAPS v3 w/LPS (JRMC) SOtM USB > Lynx Hilo > EAR 834L

Digital Serious: DAS > CAPS v3 w/LPS (HQPlayer) Ethernet > SMS-100 NAA > Lampi DSD L4 G5 > EAR 834L

Digital Disc: Oppo BDP 95 > EAR 834L

Output: EAR 834L > Xilica XP4080 DSP > Odessey Stratos Mono Extreme > Legacy Aeris

Phones: EAR 834L > Little Dot Mk ii > Senheiser HD 800

Wow - very nice!

Yes, One and a half - it's like something out of a magazine!

(BTW, what's the origin of your chosen name? I knew of a guy nicknamed ""50-50" because he wasn't all there, so I wondered....)

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Yes, One and a half - it's like something out of a magazine!

(BTW, what's the origin of your chosen name? I knew of a guy nicknamed ""50-50" because he wasn't all there, so I wondered....)

Ahh, OK the name. Great 3 Stooges fan from wayback. There's a short/still featuring all three in prison garb, including a horse. Prisoners are known by their numbers only of course, I took the number of 1 1/2 from I think was Moe, Larry had +4, Curly H2O. The horse was 13.

Also thought about, "The Land of Schmow", "Eye-Ran", "I. Fleecem", "Cess, Poole & Drayne" and various others, but it might infringe.

I relate to being imprisoned never to escape from audiophilia, just a another number victim and never quite getting to the whole ;)

Thanks for the compliment!

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

Ahh, OK the name. Great 3 Stooges fan from wayback. There's a short/still featuring all three in prison garb, including a horse. Prisoners are known by their numbers only of course, I took the number of 1 1/2 from I think was Moe, Larry had +4, Curly H2O. The horse was 13.

Also thought about, "The Land of Schmow", "Eye-Ran", "I. Fleecem", "Cess, Poole & Drayne" and various others, but it might infringe.

I relate to being imprisoned never to escape from audiophilia, just a another number victim and never quite getting to the whole ;)

Thanks for the compliment!

Was a bar in my home town with a picture of Curly on the sign out front, named "K.O. Bossy's." :)

Quotes from the Stooges film "Busy Buddies," in which Curly appears as "K.O. Bossy:"

Moe: If we get a penny a poster and hang 25 a day, when will we have 97 bucks?

K.O. Bossy: [Curly moves his finger around like an imaginary pencil on paper for a while] Sunday night.

Moe: Good.

K.O. Bossy: 1992.

[Moe hits him in the forehead]

K.O. Bossy: Are you casting asparagus on my cooking?

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

• 4 weeks later...
Here's my current setup. Just added a BC RefLink a few days ago, quite happy with it.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2673[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]2674[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]2675[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]2676[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]2677[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]2678[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]2679[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]2680[/ATTACH]

Being busy the past couple years. New Pre-amp, Amp, Phono pre-amp and cabling.

A_4546196.jpg