IGNORED

Show us your equipment / kit !

Thanks, Chris.

In all honesty, I have not found a TV with a better display than the Kuro (too bad they are no longer available).

Next TV will have to maybe be an OLED some day!

+1 Still waiting for the one to kick the Kuro off the throne after all these years!

Just upgraded my speakers to Sonus Faber Evolutions.

IMG_20140131_090332_zps936fdbe1.jpg

IMG_20140131_090144_zps6d081e7d.jpg

12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I use an iMac (2010) as the music server, running Mac OS X 10.9 with iTunes 11 and BitPerfect 2. Most of my CDs are now ripped in the ALAC format and I have some high def downloads in 24/96. The optical output of the iMac drives a M-Audio CO2 Converter via TOSLink optical. The CO2 is kind of nice as all inputs and outputs work simultaneously, allowing it to be used as both a splitter and format converter. The optical output of the CO2 drives an AudioEngine D2 transmitter and the CO2 coax output drives the JBL LSR-4326 monitors in the office. I'm using an USB port to drive a DACMagic Plus which is currently being used only as a headphone amp.

The D2 receiver is in the living room with the analog output driving a Musical Fidelity A3.2CR preamp. The Arcam CD92 CD player analog output is connected to the preamp rather than using the digital output, as I like to be able to play the few HDCD discs I have decoded for HDCD. The Music Hall MMF-5/Goldring turntable goes to the phono input on the preamp. The preamp drives a Behringer DEQ2496 which is used to tame room acoustic issues. This drives the Adcom GFA-555II which are connected to Paradigm Studio 100 v.3 speakers.

I had been using the DACMagic as the DAC for the D2 receiver, connected via TOSLink optical cable but I'm trying to simplify the chain, so am trying the AudioEngine DAC to see if I can tell the difference. So far, the verdict is still out.

I also drive three different AirPort Express units which are connected to other audio systems in the house. These include a hobby room with vintage gear, home theater system which also drives the patio and the garage. These are connected via Ethernet or WiFi, depending on the location.

The one anomaly with this system is that BitPerfect won't seem to allow Airplay to function concurrently with a 24/96 output. If I drop BP out of the stream, all the wireless receivers work well and I get 16/44.1 everywhere, but if I enable BP, AirPlay is disabled. While this is probably OK from a serious listening perspective, the UI seems to allow it to be configured to all work simultaneously.

In the office is the source ...

DSCN0981_zps3fa65984.jpg

And in the living room is the output.

dcd94358-17c7-4e47-844d-a8b5cf38d3a8_zps8cfa2435.jpg

DSCN0977_zps8ac70a9e.jpg

FWIW, I did have some wireless connection problems with the AudioEngine D2. By moving the WiFi router/access point across the room (office) from the D2, these problems seem to have gone away. Right now, things are fairly stable.

System_2.jpg

Thumbnails

I guess I'm a bit of a dinosaur with the old TV, but it still works. The sound system is more important to me.

System_1.jpg

"Relax, it's only hi-fi. There's never been a hi-fi emergency." - Roy Hall

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - William Bruce Cameron

I use an iMac (2010) as the music server, running Mac OS X 10.9 with iTunes 11 and BitPerfect 2. Most of my CDs are now ripped in the ALAC format and I have some high def downloads in 24/96. The optical output of the iMac drives a M-Audio CO2 Converter via TOSLink optical. The CO2 is kind of nice as all inputs and outputs work simultaneously, allowing it to be used as both a splitter and format converter. The optical output of the CO2 drives an AudioEngine D2 transmitter and the CO2 coax output drives the JBL LSR-4326 monitors in the office. I'm using an USB port to drive a DACMagic Plus which is currently being used only as a headphone amp.

The D2 receiver is in the living room with the analog output driving a Musical Fidelity A3.2CR preamp. The Arcam CD92 CD player analog output is connected to the preamp rather than using the digital output, as I like to be able to play the few HDCD discs I have decoded for HDCD. The Music Hall MMF-5/Goldring turntable goes to the phono input on the preamp. The preamp drives a Behringer DEQ2496 which is used to tame room acoustic issues. This drives the Adcom GFA-555II which are connected to Paradigm Studio 100 v.3 speakers.

I had been using the DACMagic as the DAC for the D2 receiver, connected via TOSLink optical cable but I'm trying to simplify the chain, so am trying the AudioEngine DAC to see if I can tell the difference. So far, the verdict is still out.

I also drive three different AirPort Express units which are connected to other audio systems in the house. These include a hobby room with vintage gear, home theater system which also drives the patio and the garage. These are connected via Ethernet or WiFi, depending on the location.

The one anomaly with this system is that BitPerfect won't seem to allow Airplay to function concurrently with a 24/96 output. If I drop BP out of the stream, all the wireless receivers work well and I get 16/44.1 everywhere, but if I enable BP, AirPlay is disabled. While this is probably OK from a serious listening perspective, the UI seems to allow it to be configured to all work simultaneously.

In the office is the source ...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]11490[/ATTACH]

And in the living room is the output.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]11491[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]11492[/ATTACH]

FWIW, I did have some wireless connection problems with the AudioEngine D2. By moving the WiFi router/access point across the room (office) from the D2, these problems seem to have gone away. Right now, things are fairly stable.

Nice setups! How do you like the JBLs? How is their room correction compared to the Behringer?

Bill

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.

Mac Mini->Roon + Tidal->KEF LS50W

Nice setups! How do you like the JBLs? How is their room correction compared to the Behringer?

Bill

I LOVE the JBLs. If my wife would tolerate them in the living room, I'd probably try replacing the Paradigms with the larger JBL monitors, although I don't know if speakers designed for near-field use work well in larger rooms. The JBLs just sound so natural to me. This is not to say I'm not happy with the Paradigms. There is enough similarity in the sound of the music through both systems as to not create aural conflict for me.

The primary reason for the DEQ2496 is to compensate for a 10db hump from about 100-300Hz in my living room. Without compensation, it makes most music sound extremely boomy, almost like having BIC-Venturi speakers.

I'm fairly constrained to a specific layout, so there is no real option to tune the room acoustics by speaker and seating location. I don't really like the idea of so many D-A and A-D conversions, but I haven't come up with any practical solution that blends both analog and digital inputs at the listening end. I've come up with a couple of solutions, but they're pretty clunky from a usability standpoint. I'm not really seeking a lab in the living room. I want to be able to listen to and enjoy the music without a lot of fiddling around, and my wife needs to be able to use it, too.

Jim

My humble desktop/bedroom second audio system

PC

CoolerMaster case

Custom PC with AMD FX 8320

Corsair H100i water cooling

Asus MB

8 GB Kingston Ram

Radeon R9 270X video card

LG blu ray

4 TB internal storage

6 TB WD NAS

Lenovo 23" monitor

Windows 7 with JRMC19

Audio

iFi iDSD nano DAC

iFi iUSB clean power

iFi Gemini USB cable

iFi iPurifier

Audioquest Cinnamon USB cable with tape mod on 5v pin

Grado RS1i headphones

Oh, and 1.7 Terrabytes (and growing) of at least 24/88.2 files! (With a few redbook files thrown in ;)

SDC16491.jpg

SDC16497.JPG

Updated pic showing new Ayre - MXR mono amps and Mojo Audio modded Mac-Mini with upgraded Joule Power Supply and Atomic Labs platform.

12685316823_a7db5e81fd_b.jpg

• Jeff Rowland 925's
  • EMM Labs DV2
  • Taiko Audio Extreme
  • Ediscreation Firebird LPS/Silent Switch OCXO Extreme/Fiber Box/Muon PRO
  • Shunyata Everest
  • MBL 101E MkII + (2) REL 212SE
  • Cables : Inakustik, Ansuz DTC, Stealth Audio

Rebuilt Dynaco MkIII's. STS board replaces quad cap and a dual bias added, otherwise a stock circuit. Cloth transformer leads covered with Teflon shrink tubing.

DSC_1145.jpg

DSC_1232.jpg

Dahlquist DQ-10 Speakers DQ-LP1 crossover 2 DW-1 Subs

Dynaco Mk III Mains - Rotel 991 Subs

Wyred W4S Pre Gustard X10 DAC

SOtM dx-USB-HD reclocked SOtMmBPS-d2s

Intel Thin-mini ITX

Rebuilt Dynaco MkIII's. STS board replaces quad cap and a dual bias added, otherwise a stock circuit. Cloth transformer leads covered with Teflon shrink tubing.

DSC_1145.jpg

DSC_1232.jpg

Looks good Harpy! I thought about the STS cap board, but went a different route...a pair of JJ's in series wired into a bigger can...

CAF1E718-F837-4A80-A008-AA93B0512615_zpsb6iki7zd.jpg

Gold Lion KT88's?

Obligatto caps?

If you want to take those to the next level, ya gotta build some Posedion boards!

Thanks, yes the tubes are Gold Lion KT88's the caps are Russian military K40y-9 paper in oil. I want to try the big Russian Teflon caps, but haven't found a good place to mount them as the don't fit the board.

DSC_1650_zpsdfe34c1c.jpg

I would love to try the Posedion boards. I don't have a good grasp of even basic circuits and used the 1959 manual to rebuild these. I would like to bypass the dual biasing of the Posedion board and use the Dynakit. I'll have to take another gander at the Posedion schematics. Running SS amps now, so maybe it would be a good time to do "phase 2".

Dahlquist DQ-10 Speakers DQ-LP1 crossover 2 DW-1 Subs

Dynaco Mk III Mains - Rotel 991 Subs

Wyred W4S Pre Gustard X10 DAC

SOtM dx-USB-HD reclocked SOtMmBPS-d2s

Intel Thin-mini ITX

• 2 weeks later...

Old system is B&W 800d's and Rotel

New is KEF R900 spks and R400b sub, Ayre ax-5 Integrated amp, QB-9 DAC and Lx5e Power system, Shunyata Power, signal cables and Outlet, Audio Note sub connect, Audio Quest TRUE 2.0 USB Connect, Mac Pro 16 GB running Amarra ... basically pulling from the fastest external SS hard drive I could find and dumping to the DAC using only the Cache as a hold... All components on AYRE isolation blocks except power being on Symposium rollerblocks... Guarded by Lady Deat (My son is a HUGE comic nerd and what started out as a joke has turned into a permanent fixture)...

securedownload2.jpg

securedownload3.jpg

Thanks, yes the tubes are Gold Lion KT88's the caps are Russian military K40y-9 paper in oil. I want to try the big Russian Teflon caps, but haven't found a good place to mount them as the don't fit the board.

DSC_1650_zpsdfe34c1c.jpg

I would love to try the Posedion boards. I don't have a good grasp of even basic circuits and used the 1959 manual to rebuild these. I would like to bypass the dual biasing of the Posedion board and use the Dynakit. I'll have to take another gander at the Posedion schematics. Running SS amps now, so maybe it would be a good time to do "phase 2".

Ive seen the big Russian caps mounted on the bottom of the PCB...

I have some .44's I might try at some time...

• 1 month later...

Here's a different take on this thread: Toddler-friendly audiophile design. Instead of displaying my gear, it it neatly tucked away in the adjoining closet. There are sandbags holding down the speaker stands and grills are installed. The subwoofer is downward firing to avoid inadvertent kicks to the cone (and helps the little guy turn on the TV himself). The D-Class amp creates little heat, so the closet and drapery never gets hot. The black drapes and black gear create a minimalist illusion. The top shelf actually has the drape hung in the front - behind which is battery chargers, router, cable modem, etc.

Daring_Jumping_Spider 4.jpg

Daring_Jumping_Spider 3.jpg

Daring_Jumping_Spider 2.jpg

Daring_Jumping_Spider 1.jpg

Bluesound Node 2-->LFD LE Mk V-->HSU VTF-1 Subwoofer (via high-level inputs)-->Harbeth P3ESR

Here's a different take on this thread: Toddler-friendly audiophile design. Instead of displaying my gear, it it neatly tucked away in the adjoining closet. There are sandbags holding down the speaker stands and grills are installed. The subwoofer is downward firing to avoid inadvertent kicks to the cone (and helps the little guy turn on the TV himself). The D-Class amp creates little heat, so the closet and drapery never gets hot. The black drapes and black gear create a minimalist illusion. The top shelf actually has the drape hung in the front - behind which is battery chargers, router, cable modem, etc.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]13057[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]13056[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]13055[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]13054[/ATTACH]

I love it!

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

image.jpg

Currently I'm happy with the eqbuipment ans enjoy the music.

image.jpg

Digital Sources: MacBook 8GB / 512GB internal SSD, iTunes 12.0.1.26, OS X 10.10 El Capitan, Amarra Symphony iRC 3.0.3 and Pure Music 2.0, Weiss DAC 202 Firewire, Creek Destiny CD,

Analog Sources: Transrotor FatBob Turntable with SME M2-9 tonearm and Benz ACE-L MC cartridge

Preamplification: McIntosh C500T Tube preamplifier; Clearaudio Balance+ Phono preamplifier (balanced);

Power amplifier: McIntosh MC452 Stereo

Loudspeaker: B&W 802 Diamond

Cables:

AC: Audioplan power conditioning and 5x Audioplan Power Cable, 1 Shunyayta power cable, 1 Audio Pro power cable

Kimber KS 1130 XLR between Phonostage and pre-amplifier, Speakercable Kimber 3033 incl. Kimber BiFocal Bi-wiring- adapter, Audiopro Advanced Listening 3 XLR, 1 digital SPDIF cable CD to DAC, Firewire MacBook to DAC Kubala-Sosna,

Accessories: room treated with accoustic elements from r-t-f-s, Hannl Mera Vinyl Record Cleaner; 5x bFly Audioabsorber, Creative equipment rack