IGNORED

Show us your equipment / kit !

Thanks, Blake. The ECD1 is connected to a PC running Foobar2000 via USB cable and spdif converter. I have a small listening room (12'X12') and the planar speakers are quite effective, but, I wish I could get them out away from the back wall a bit more.

Nice setup PopPop, whe ALL wish whe had more room BUT whe must live with what whe have and believe me there are some that are much worse.

Keep It Simple 1600 X 1200.JPG

Chord CPM-2600 - integrated amplifier - Chord One - cd player - Acoustat 1+1 - speakers.

Life without Acoustat is possible BUT senseless

MrAcoustat,

Nice towers! I remember seeing a picture of your setup on the Audio Asylum. Did you trade your ECM1 for the Chord CD player?

Yes PopPop, the Bow Wazoo XL & the Electrocompaniet are bot gone replaced by the Chord Duo.

Chord CPM-2600 - integrated amplifier - Chord One - cd player - Acoustat 1+1 - speakers.

Life without Acoustat is possible BUT senseless

IMG_0066.jpg

COMPUTER AUDIO SYSTEM: AVM C8 INTEGRATED AMP. WITH WOO WA22 HEADPHONE AMP.

THUS: IMAC < W4S DAC2 < or AVM C8 (built in DAC) or WOO WA22< Sennheiser HD 700 off the Woo or AR 3a (improved) off the AVM.

In any dispute the intensity of feeling is inversely proportional to the value of the issues at stake ~ Sayre's Law

Two polk rti a9 towers, toed in, away from the walls, in an equilateral triangle with the listening position, two Emotiva xpa-2 bridged into mono each with a dedicated 20 amp line direct from the panel, (mnnnn... headroom) a XSP-1 preamp, erc-1 cd player, poppulse dac, pc note book running media monkey, 400+gigs 1200+ artists, an Aphex 204 sound processor on the tape loop (for those files that need a little loving) home built flexy rack and a Technics sl1210 with a nagaoka mp-500 cart and KAB damper, two Paradigm DSP subs in stereo off to the side, a 10 and a 12 inch using Paradigm's PBK Sub room correction software. All strung together with lamp cord and the cables that came in the box. ;) Oh yeah, and a crappy old school tv.... :)

76C5AE3A-orig_zps28d07084.jpg

55D391A2-orig_zps21ecf730.jpg

cheers

ken (an annoying Emotiva fanboy ;) )

Love the Photos....finally got set up this weekend - thanks to the great folks at Ultra Fidelis, Milwaukee

DSC_0829.jpg

DSC_0839.jpg

DSC_0812.jpg

DSC_0817.jpg

Aurender N10--> DCS Bartok w Rossini Clock—>Audio Research REF6 Pre --> Vandersteen M5HPA—>Vandersteen Quatro CT Speakers; AMG Giro Turntable w Lyra Delos Cartridge —> Audio Research Ref 3 PhonoPre

DSC_0839.jpg

Thats better...my Macbook, is running on fumes, takes hours to upload photos, and they have been out of whack...makes the year end calendar photo uploads a super fun process (that means I have an excuse to upgrade my computer, transfer files, and put a SSD in the MBP...what a bummer there)

Happy New Year to everyone

Aurender N10--> DCS Bartok w Rossini Clock—>Audio Research REF6 Pre --> Vandersteen M5HPA—>Vandersteen Quatro CT Speakers; AMG Giro Turntable w Lyra Delos Cartridge —> Audio Research Ref 3 PhonoPre

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2178[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2179[/ATTACH]

Don't have any recent images. Anyway, the only thing that has changed are the amps.

Jim; as a customer of yours (bought your book and video), I am curious as to why you have your electronics between your loudspeakers when you advise your readers to place them along a side-wall for best sound.

Jim; as a customer of yours (bought your book and video), I am curious as to why you have your electronics between your loudspeakers when you advise your readers to place them along a side-wall for best sound.

When I wrote that advice, my electronics were on the side wall. I still stand behind what I wrote 100%.

By the time those images were taken, the requirements for another of my jobs - privately evaluating components for mftrs. & distributors - rendered it nigh impossible.

In the image where you can see some of my CDs on the side wall, a Grand Prix Audio rack was originally nestled into the vertical CD sections - in fact, I'd cut away a space for it. But every time I needed to change out a component would take forever because I couldn't easily get to it. And forget about reasonably quick A/B comparisons...

So I decided to put my components on Grand Prix Audio shelves on the floor where I could easily reach them. In the image you see, the Ayre preamp is about the height of the bottom of the Tannoy Canterbury speaker cabinets. For some reason, the photo does alter the actual perspective somewhat. And the (no longer used) Viva amps were well behind the speakers and about 20" below the Tannoy driver.

Additionally, when I wrote about obstructions between speakers, I should have been more clear - I meant large screen TVs, audio cabinets, furniture, etc. On voicing sessions, I occasionally encounter these items located between and almost flush with the plane of the speakers. Though not optimum, sometimes, that is the best that can be done due to real-life living requirements. So we incorporate some other measures to help out in those cases.

That being said, good on you that you caught an apparent paradox relating to what I wrote and how I used my own system!

And, of course, I've since moved and have a new room.

Although I once again have the components on the floor on GPA shelves, this time they are even further back and even lower.

A side benefit is that this configuration uses the least amount of cables as well... :)

Various speakers, electronics, cable, etc. on loan for manufacturers' evaluation.

More or less permanently in use:

Schiit Iggy (latest), Ayre QB-9 DSD, Ayre Codex, Uptone Audio ISO Regen/LPS-1 Power supply, Berkeley Audio Alpha USB, PS Audio LanRover, Small Green Computer, Sonore ultraRendu, gigaFOIL4 ethernet/optical filter - Keces PS-3 power supply, (3) MBPs - stripped down for music only,  AQ Diamond USB & Ethernet, Transparent USB, Curious USB, LH Lightspeed split USB, Halide USB DAC, Audirvana +, Pure Music, ASR Emitter II Exclusive Blue amp, Ayre K-5xeMP preamp, Pass X-1 preamp, Quicksilver Mid-Mono Amps, Pass XA-30.5 amp, Duelund ICs & Speaker Cables, Paul Hynes SR-7 power supply, Grand Prix Audio Monaco Isolation racks & F1 shelves, Tannoy Canterbury SEs w/custom Duelund crossovers and stands, 2 REL 212SEs, AV RoomService EVPs, ASC Tube Traps, tons of CDs, 30 IPS masters, LPs.

http://www.getbettersound.com

Updates.

I used to own a Decware Mini-Torii. Had to sell ALL my gear after some tough times, as many of you know. Now I'm back on my feet, college funds going, and a few toys for dad. I'm still waiting for my Tortuga Audio LDR so I'm toying with the MT and Rachel driving sub and monitors separately. HE-500 sound FANTASTIC on the MT!

Luckily I kept a few premium tubes like some Mazda 6V6. I had my friend Eric W. in Tampa test them on his Amplitrex along with some nice E80CC, Mullards I think - single getter.

The MT has an upgraded 20 step attenuator, and a switch to toggle the OC2 input tube regulation. So you can hear it with or without, but also if you had a tube failure, you could run w/o. More thoughts to come. 6V6 single ended is creamy! I'm running the Zu Unions with it now...

Since my space is limited, and I share the room, I have made some compromises with speaker placement etc. I have isolated the components on Feet of Silence (spring-based), and turntable will be on a separate, dedicated table.

Pics uploading now, taking forever with my crap Internet here.

• YBLRd7jl.jpg
  • 69nTnanl.jpg

• yM0JxfSl.jpg
  • IffVMYdl.jpg
  • LWFQKz7l.jpg

DIGITAL: Windows 7 x64 JRMC19 >Adnaco S3B fiber over USB (battery power)> Auralic Vega > Tortuga LDR custom LPSU > Zu Union Cubes + Deep Hemp Sub

ANALOG: PTP Audio Solid 9 > Audiomods Series V > Audio Technica Art-7 MC > Allnic H1201 > Tortuga LDR > Zu Union Cubes + Deep Hemp Sub

ACCESSORIES: PlatterSpeed, BlackCat cables, Antipodes Cables, Huffman Cables, Feickert Protracter, OMA Graphite mat, JRemote

wElPWdbl.jpg

FaEhZWJl.jpg

BIW99jwl.jpg

DsIYMYjl.jpg

71bca5ul.jpg

DBrHjIbl.jpg

Mess in office!

fboBLgDl.jpg

DIGITAL: Windows 7 x64 JRMC19 >Adnaco S3B fiber over USB (battery power)> Auralic Vega > Tortuga LDR custom LPSU > Zu Union Cubes + Deep Hemp Sub

ANALOG: PTP Audio Solid 9 > Audiomods Series V > Audio Technica Art-7 MC > Allnic H1201 > Tortuga LDR > Zu Union Cubes + Deep Hemp Sub

ACCESSORIES: PlatterSpeed, BlackCat cables, Antipodes Cables, Huffman Cables, Feickert Protracter, OMA Graphite mat, JRemote

This was my set before I went streaming:

GroteFoto-NLJGQQFL.jpg

This is now ... sorry for the noisy picture quality.

GroteFoto-6USXZ6YE.jpg

Bottom left is my "old" HTPC (Win7/J.River) but now I use the BeagleBone Black built together with the Lindemann Dac in the wooden enclosure at the bottom right. The HTPC is used now as a normal PC with a few meters VGA cable to a normal monitor outside the picture.

The tuner on top is almost obsolete now since I managed to get most radio stations over streaming too via the BBB.

Two weeks ago I picked up a pair of Boenicke W5 in Switserland. I drove 700 km to Basel and back again the same day to buy these gems ;-)

The stands need to go and will be repaced soon by something more in proportion to the W5 speakers.

Rigelian iOS app -> BeagleBone Black with Botic driver + Linux MPD + XPEnology NAS -> Soekris dam1121 DAC I2S direct from BBB -> DH Labs Revelation -> NAD C162 -> DH Labs Revelation -> Odyssey Khartago Plus -> DH Labs Q10 -> Boenicke Audio W5

Sorry for OT. Oystein, would love to hear about the Boenicke W5 if you find the time. Thanks!

Thread started here: http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f12-headphones-and-speakers/has-anyone-heard-boenicke-w5-19049/

+1. I am a bit obsessed with the W5 speakers. I am not sure what it is, but they really appeal to me. Oystein, if you have a chance, please post your thoughts in that thread.

Speaker Room: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Pacific 2 | Viva Linea | Constellation Inspiration Stereo 1.0 | FinkTeam Kim | dual Rythmik E15HP subs  

Office Headphone System: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Golden Gate 3 | Viva Egoista | Abyss AB1266 Phi TC 

A small step in visual impact--a giant leap for audio quality:

Fidelio Encore-1010578.jpg

Parsifal Ovation-1010605.jpg

PS. The inquisitive reader will notice the discrepancy between my signature and the power amp(s) in the photos. My YBA is back in China for repairs, and I have borrowed an Orpheus stereo amp as well as a set of Audiomatus mono blocks (class D w a small class A stage). Both the Orpheus and the Audiomatus are great amps, and the Audiomatus'es are very good value. I think they are only sold direct from the factory in Poland.

All best,

Jens

i5 Macbook Pro running Roon -> Uptone Etherregen -> custom-built Win10 PC serving as endpoint, with separate LPUs for mobo and a filtering digiboard (DIY) -> Audio Note DAC 5ish (a heavily modded 3.1X Bal) -> AN Kit One, heavily modded with silver wiring and Black Gates -> AN E-SPx Alnico on Townshend speaker bars. Vicoustic and GIK treatment.

+1. I am a bit obsessed with the W5 speakers. I am not sure what it is, but they really appeal to me. Oystein, if you have a chance, please post your thoughts in that thread.

Ive worked with the little Fountek fullranger and it is quite a gem.....and very affordable at $37 per driver. I did a complete 5.1 with them. Single driver surrounds and three MTM fronts with the FR88 flanked by two 51/4" woofers.

Sorry for OT. Oystein, would love to hear about the Boenicke W5 if you find the time. Thanks!

Thread started here: http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f12-headphones-and-speakers/has-anyone-heard-boenicke-w5-19049/

I have submitted my response in the other thread as requested :-)

Rigelian iOS app -> BeagleBone Black with Botic driver + Linux MPD + XPEnology NAS -> Soekris dam1121 DAC I2S direct from BBB -> DH Labs Revelation -> NAD C162 -> DH Labs Revelation -> Odyssey Khartago Plus -> DH Labs Q10 -> Boenicke Audio W5

Welcome to my audio space.

system1.jpg

Source: Apple Mac Mini Late 2012 running Bootcamp Windows 8.1 Audio Player: JRiver 19. USB-Audio: DEQX XS-1 USB to I2S convertor. Pre-amplifier: DEQX HDP-4. Digital Crossover: DEQX HDP-4 x 2 for 4 way crossovers. Power Amplifiers: Tweeter: Cymar Single-ended 6L6 Tube amplifier 6 watts. Midrange: DEQX HDA-1 (prototype) no feedback linear power amplifier 70w. Mid / Bass: DEQX HAD-1 (prototype) no feedback linear power amplifier 70w. Bass: PowerPhysics Class D 500w. Speakers: Custom built active 4 way system using drivers from ScanSpeak, Seas. Tweeter: Scanspeak Illuminator Beryllium Dome. Midrange: Eton Symphony 3" Mid / Bass: SEAS Prestige 7" Aluminum Cone Woofer. Bass: NHT XDS 10” Aluminum Cone Woofer 2 per channel in own cabinet. Interconnects: USB: Locus Analog Interconnects: Custom 75ohm serial digital coax for all analog signals. Speaker: QED XTC 6 x 3m runs fitted with Airloc Banana plugs.

Cymar single-ended 6L6

system2.jpg

2 DEQX HDP-4 for the 4 way active crossovers and room correction.

system4.jpg

My digital music library is mostly jazz - rock and currently has 125279 Flac or better audio files JRiver listed that at 77years to complete the full play list.

The sound quality is sublime with amazing resolution that is ruthless to poorly mastered recordings. Dynamic range is large with a very wide sound stage while at the same time very sweet with silky smooth treble.

The imagining is very 3D and instruments float is space and betters the speed of any electrostatic speakers I've heard to date.

The octave smoothed in-room response looks like this. Measurement taken using iPad's built-in microphone and could be the reason the highs are down a few db.

in-room.jpg

Cheers, Alan

Mac Mini, Sonicweld, DEQX HDP-4 x 2, 6L6 single-ended (tweeter amp), 4 channel DBA-1 no feedback bi-pol 80w (Mid & Mid-Bass amp) 500w Powerphysic D-class (Bass) Speakers custom 4 way active.

New System -

OPPO 105 Universal Transport/Streamer with Marigo Labs RHX Feet

ESOTERIC D-02 - DA/Preamp with Marigo Labs RHX Feet

PASS Labs XA160.5 mono amps

Evolution Acoustics MM3 - Speakers

Purist Audio Design - 25th ANNIVERSARY XLR Interconnects

Purist Audio Design - 25th ANNIVERSARY Digital XLR Interconnect

Purist Audio Design - CANORUS power cords (amps)

AudioQuest - EVEREST speaker cables

Synergistic Research - Tesla Copper Tungsten, Tesla Hologram D & Hologram A, T3-SE - power cords

Billy Baggs PRO Rack & Amp Stands

Synergistic Research Tesla PowerCell 10SE MkIII + (4) Galileo MPC Power Supplies

GIK Acoustic Panels. Tube Traps, Marigo Labs RHX Mystery Feet.

4 Dedicated Lines with 10ga. Cryo-treated Romex, Synergistic Research Tesla-Plex Cryoed Outlets.

Pioneer ELITE Kuro PFD151 60" plasma with Premier Articulating Arm

***Currently building the Mac-Mini Server addition

10084228576_72e8829d94_b.jpg

9630272627_cfa377acc9_b.jpg

• Jeff Rowland 925's
  • EMM Labs DV2
  • Aurender N30SA/Paul Pang Quad Switch/Muon PRO
  • Shunyata Everest
  • MBL 101E MkII + (2) REL 212SE
  • Cables : Inakustik, Shunyata, Stealth Audio

Office/Desktop - Computer Audio System :

Evolution Acoustics MMMicro One speakers

ESOTERIC RZ-1 Preamp/Amp/DA Convertor

Apple MAC PRO computer

AIFF files with JRiver Media Center 19

9143444145_816e530591_o.jpg

7718241878_9621f13a7b_o.jpg

• Jeff Rowland 925's
  • EMM Labs DV2
  • Shunyata Everest
New System -

OPPO 105 Universal Transport/Streamer with Marigo Labs RHX Feet

ESOTERIC D-02 - DA/Preamp with Marigo Labs RHX Feet

PASS Labs XA160.5 mono amps

Evolution Acoustics MM3 - Speakers

Purist Audio Design - 25th ANNIVERSARY XLR Interconnects

Purist Audio Design - 25th ANNIVERSARY Digital XLR Interconnect

Purist Audio Design - CANORUS power cords (amps)

AudioQuest - EVEREST speaker cables

Synergistic Research - Tesla Copper Tungsten, Tesla Hologram D & Hologram A, T3-SE - power cords

Billy Baggs PRO Rack & Amp Stands

Synergistic Research Tesla PowerCell 10SE MkIII + (4) Galileo MPC Power Supplies

GIK Acoustic Panels. Tube Traps, Marigo Labs RHX Mystery Feet.

4 Dedicated Lines with 10ga. Cryo-treated Romex, Synergistic Research Tesla-Plex Cryoed Outlets.

Pioneer ELITE Kuro PFD151 60" plasma with Premier Articulating Arm

***Currently building the Mac-Mini Server addition

Love that Kuro!

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

Thanks, Chris.

In all honesty, I have not found a TV with a better display than the Kuro (too bad they are no longer available).

Next TV will have to maybe be an OLED some day!

• Jeff Rowland 925's
  • EMM Labs DV2
  • Shunyata Everest