IGNORED

Why Do People Come To Computer Audiophile To Display Their Contempt For Audiophiles?

On 6/22/2017 at 7:54 AM, Teresa said:

So, if someone gives a reason that doesn't make sense to you because you believe that a computer cannot give stated result, then perhaps it's better to say nothing rather than insulting someone.

Remember audiophiles are not scientists and sometimes get the reasons why they like something incorrect. New knowledge doesn’t change how something sounds, it just changes one’s speculation on why it sounds as it does. 

That's not what I said.

If someone speculates and the speculation is 100% incorrect. It's still incorrect regardless of how vehemently they speculate.

Sorry, when someone is just so fundamentally incorrect and giving out advice you want the person that knows how it actually works to stay mum?

I'll generally get into it with someone that won't put on the blinders and do ears only, bias controlled, evaluation. Even more so if they are a manufacturer.

Of course new knowledge doesn't change the way's things sound. Including changes that are just 100% self delusion.

3 minutes ago, wgscott said:

At risk of straying off-topic, in the case of scientists, that number is comparatively few (about 7% of the members of the National Academy of Sciences).  In the (admittedly extreme) case of Francis Collins, it does make me worry about many of his other beliefs.

With only 2500 elected members, I am not sure that is a good example. I am not a believer either btw.

Forrest:

Win10 i9 9900KS/GTX1060 HQPlayer4>Win10 NAA

DSD>Pavel's DSC2.6>Bent Audio TAP>

Parasound JC1>"Naked" Quad ESL63/Tannoy PS350B subs<100Hz

6 minutes ago, plissken said:

Sorry, when someone is just so fundamentally incorrect and giving out advice you want the person that knows how it actually works to stay mum?

I'll generally get into it with someone that won't put on the blinders and do ears only, bias controlled, evaluation. Even more so if they are a manufacturer.

Of course new knowledge doesn't change the way's things sound. Including changes that are just 100% self delusion.

I guess that it all comes down to how you subjectively define "works." When the "advice" is "this sounds great to me," - how is that wrong? When you compare stereo "a" to "b" and it's actually "working," - do you need to know how either "works" to know if you prefer one or the other?

But, - I guess those questions above are not "good science" to you, and will be deserving of the forthcoming derision towards me as a person.

2 minutes ago, wgscott said:

Well, there is a Lake Wobegon effect.

With whom? I seem to see it from both sides along with the "othering" displayed around here.

Forrest:

14 minutes ago, plissken said:

That's not what I said.

If someone speculates and the speculation is 100% incorrect. It's still incorrect regardless of how vehemently they speculate.

Sadly, many who think they know how it all works get it wrong as well. I include myself and you in there. Your last sentence is a prime example of this...

Forrest:

Just now, wgscott said:

Sorry, I meant pretty much everyone in the National Academy is above average.

And likely so are the top tier of the religious elite.

Forrest:

39 minutes ago, Jud said:

Yes, but what kind of blind test?  Not something that involves switching in 2-4 seconds, surely?  I know these sorts of “nudge, nudge, wink, wink” blind tests aren’t subject to some of the same problems as sighted ones.  But that seems to me akin to saying “I may not be taking any drugs to help my arthritis, but at least I’m not wearing one of those stupid bracelets!”

I’m interested in what attracted you to the idea of the SU-1.

Usually not 2-4 second, but less than a minute to switch with the help of an assistant.

SU-1 was primarily to enable DSD512 and native DSD to my DAC, which only supports DSD256/DoP.

1 minute ago, wgscott said:

There is always the question of whether they actually believe, or are just cynical power-hungry opportunists.

Damn that is so true!

Forrest:

58 minutes ago, wgscott said:

There is always the question of whether they actually believe, or are just cynical power-hungry opportunists.

Perhaps you mean clergy? I know very few cynical power-hungry opportunists working in academic theology. And I have met and worked with many theologians. And I'm trying to be objective here. ^_^

Sorry for the OT.

7 minutes ago, mansr said:

Perhaps also a waste of space.

But those of us interested in relativity already knew that.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

1 hour ago, pkane2001 said:

Usually not 2-4 second, but less than a minute to switch with the help of an assistant.

The phrase “close but no cigar” comes to mind. ;) 

1 hour ago, pkane2001 said:

SU-1 was primarily to enable DSD512 and native DSD to my DAC, which only supports DSD256/DoP.

Would you think the difference in noise levels (between DSD256 and DSD512) to be audible, or just curious and it wasn’t too expensive?

(Not meaning to press you or ask for justification - I do have an “ulterior motive,” and it’s to show we are not all so very different.)

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

5 minutes ago, jabbr said:

Maybe God, at the time of creation, had full knowledge that imperfections in the USB protocol would create future debates about digital cables?

You, sir, are today’s winner of the Internets.