IGNORED

Why Do People Come To Computer Audiophile To Display Their Contempt For Audiophiles?

10 minutes ago, beerandmusic said:

my fishers better than your fisher

437c0a26e435da556b36020942c8fcf6.jpg

Actually that's my Fisher or yours looks like mine.

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

3 hours ago, christopher3393 said:

Science in action doesn't always look like "best practices".

Relax, no one here is doing real science in the field of audio.  (At least no one I know of who I’ve noticed participating in the thread yet).  One or two are scientists in other fields, one or two are engineers working in the audio field.  None I know of that I’ve seen participating has performed audio testing for a peer reviewed paper published in an academic journal.

Lots of talk of science, but really what we all are going for is to understand, and in a couple of cases design and build, things a little better.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

19 hours ago, adamdea said:

I'm afraid that in the intervening years someone must have broken in and removed all of the facts, links to evidence and logical connections from the article. I imagine that in its day it must have been quite something.

The Audio Iconoclast blog was mine, I closed down all but one of my blogs when I developed dementia. I'm sorry I searched for it at archive.org and archive.is I couldn't find an archive of it.

However, I did find an archive of Blind Listening Tests are Flawed: An Editorial by Robert Harley

The other link to ABX Test is still working.

Hope this helps. :)

I have dementia. I save all my posts in a text file I call Forums.  I do a search in that file to find out what I said or did in the past.

I still love music.

Teresa

9 hours ago, Jud said:

Lots of talk of science, but really what we all are going for is to understand, and in a couple of cases design and build, things a little better.

There are two bottom lines in Science: designing & building things better is one of them.

Custom room treatments for headphone users.

2 hours ago, Jud said:

People tend to pick something they feel comfortable with (“How much could a wire matter?”) and argue incessantly about that, leaving the really important, difficult, technical stuff well alone.

electric-light-bulb.png

maybe it's strong desire to customize & get last little bit of "edge"

13 hours ago, Superdad said:

Can tell the difference between an average clock and a low phase-noise one

I would like your description, as detailed as possible, of what the audible difference between an average qnd low phase-noise clock is?

28 minutes ago, jabbr said:

... oh and I've already said in the "other" thread that I don't agree with those measurements.

That's great. End of dialectic. You don't agree with those measurements so there we have it folks.

Everyone can go home now. Jabbr, don't forget to turn out the lights.

Do you agree with the specific measurements I've proposed? If not why? Justify yourself. If you can't then don't criticize.

What issue are your measurements exposing? Criticize what exactly? Wasn't it another thread you posted a white paper to, that you seemingly didn't comprehend, that supported what I had been saying all along that you took mistaken issue with?

Pot meet kettle.

But, why not direct your vitriol toward the marketing claims of "liquid cables" or quantum AC power cables, or other real nonsense.

You may have missed the WireWorld and Nordost Ethernet threads.

1 minute ago, AJ Soundfield said:

I'd be sorely disappointed if it didn't involve veils and PRAT

Stay out in left field so you try to catch any balls hit out there.

There are those of us who would like to know, given the mathematical effect of phase error on DAC signal output -- the linewidth describes the close-in phase error (not all of "jitter") and we know that the big difference between "average" and "low phase error" clocks is primarily in the close-in error. The mathematical effect is very clear (feel free to run a simulation if you question), so the real question is: what is the audible effect and at what level are the effects audible?

10 minutes ago, jabbr said:

There are those of us who would like to know, given the mathematical effect of phase error on DAC signal output

Wait, it's not just those crazy "Objectivist" folks insisting relevance only at DAC output? Who knew...

The mathematical effect is very clear (feel free to run a simulation if you question), so the real question is: what is the audible effect and at what level are the effects audible?

And how do you propose to establish this audibility correlation? Using what method?

Or is that presumed done and we are about to hear all about this "linewidth" sound?

13 minutes ago, plissken said:

You may have missed the WireWorld and Nordost Ethernet threads.

Hey man, I don't just automatically disagree with everything you say :) 

Main point is that the three people you referenced didn't do any measurements that either directly or indirectly measure phase error (the other half of the complex issue) ... and that the measurements are standard wide spectrum FFT...

but yes you could investigate "topics" like "liquid cables" and quantum effects in power cables and a number of other things that I'm sure we would totally agree on... I don't see UpTone being the issue here, a number of people who have done measurements (e.g. @Wavelength) have pointed out imperfections in signal transmission. Ethernet by and large is much much better (and Belden does real measurements).