IGNORED

Amir at ASR claims Uptone won't sell the ISO regen to him...

15 minutes ago, wwaldmanfan said:

All that proved was the 25% chance that both subjects would pick the same sample even if neither one had listened to either of the samples.

I think it's actually a bit more than that.  As I noted, we each independently reported that we quickly determined a strong preference for one unit over the other.  To me that's a 25% chance for each one of us - G vs. M, strong vs.weak preference.  (I'm discounting no preference, though I felt consciously it was certainly a choice, because as Dennis pointed out, the mere fact of labeling one G and the other M might create a subconscious bias toward finding a difference.)

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

7 minutes ago, Daudio said:

Listening won't be of much use

7 minutes ago, Daudio said:

I also add you to my IGNORED MEMBERS list for severe cluelessness. No need to waste further time reading nonsense.

Yes, it's really bedazzling how deep down the rabbit hole some people can go - I'm sure what's up is down & what's down is up now in their world?

6 minutes ago, Daudio said:

I also add you to my IGNORED USERS list for severe cluelessness. No need to waste further time reading nonsense.

How can I understand "how the Regen can improve data transfer and consequently D/A performance" through listening.

Not that I care if you read me or not but either you are reading too quickly or my English is not good enough...

"Science draws the wave, poetry fills it with water" Teixeira de Pascoaes

HQPlayer Desktop / Mac mini → Intona 7054 → RME ADI-2 DAC FS (DSD256)

1 minute ago, mmerrill99 said:

It's not your English that's faulty - it's your logic

Care to elaborate?

Just now, mmerrill99 said:

Not until you answer what measurements you wish to see before you will "have a listen"

I probably won't have a listen.

The Regen is more expensive than and doesn't work with my current DAC and it'll probably cost 30% over what a US resident will pay for it due to shipping and taxes.

My future USB DAC will be a custom design with galvanic isolation.

Please do not elaborate.

I don't give a turd.

22 minutes ago, mmerrill99 said:

Or that they want 'measurements' but don't really understand what this means or what to do with the 'measurements' when they get them - more arguments, I predict 

Hey, John Kenny.  I thought Chris had banned you.  Is that why you need to disguise your ID?

4 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

I agree, measurements posted by manufacturers would be good. I don't think everyone would believe those measurements though. 

Perhaps a technical editor could be used before publishing potentially damaging claims. 

That's true, I don't think everyone would believe them because they can't take their bias out.  That said a manufacture such as UpTone says some very contradicting things.  They started building the REGEN and sold thousands and after I and others asked about measurements the statement from Alex and John was that there isn't any equipment available to measure it and John would build something to do so.  Well, sorry but if that's really the case then the next project should've been to build it and have it peer reviewed (after a patent) before the ISO REGEN and which they then have created a standard for.  Further, showing an "eye pattern" without any sort of technical description of the "what" and "why" is pretty much useless not to mention the constant bashing of how to measure anything.  I simply ask the question of how did anything get designed if it's so hard to measure anything since the equipment isn't available?  

W10 NUC i7 (Gen 10) > Roon (Audiolense FIR) > Motu UltraLite mk5 > (4) Hypex NCore NC502MP > JBL M2 Master Reference +4 subs

Watch my Podcast https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXMw_bZWBMtRWNJQfTJ38kA/videos

3 hours ago, jabbr said:

Of course it's not real world. "Jitter" isn't either -- it's a concept that is bandied about with its "femtosecond clocks". I am providing a straightforward test of the close-in phase error of a DAC including its clock & power supply. This allows testable hypotheses to be made for those that want to use engineering principles for other than marketing.

Oh and I have a project to measure the realtime phase error in a DAC playing real music -- it's possible now but not without a lot of work and expensive equipment. The test I've proposed is a simple quick and dirty measure of phase error for those that don't have this equipment. So for that you use a pure tone.

Well measuring phase error in realtime, with real music, would certainly be a major advance.  My experience is that phase 'noise' in clocks is far more important then period jitter.  

Back in my Gustard  U12 thread on HF it was universally acclaimed to improve SQ results by swapping out the Chinese TXCO clocks for CCHD-975's.  The Crysteks had orders of magnitude less phase noise - but the TXCO's claimed orders of magnitude better stability (1ppb vs 25ppm).  With the Recovery vs the Regen Amber -  I much preferred the RuR with it's Crystek clocks - even though the RuR had higher noise LDO's then the Regen.  I had a long running debate with Alex about this on the Regen HF thread.  In the end he finally admitted I was right (long phone call a while ago) and they wisely used the CCHD-575 clocks in the ISO Regen.

So this ability to RT measure real music could yield the 'Holy Grail' of measurements..one can hope

2 hours ago, esldude said:

The take home message you should have learned is measuring gear can tell you the most accurate piece of gear.  Your ears aren't good at measuring.  Therefore what sounds better is not more accurate.  What sounds pleasing is of course most pleasing.

You are so right...maybe we should ask for a person's Audiologists hearing test report be published along with their gear chain, when they post sighted listening results!

Joking of course...9_9

PS Are there some forms of 'jitter' (digital distortions) that some folks find pleasing?  I wonder.

18 minutes ago, Jud said:

In answer to mansr, I think this is a courtesy in some circumstances to let others know you won't see their posts so they don't waste any time trying to communicate with you.

Funny how they still keep on replying.

9 minutes ago, mansr said:

Funny how they still keep on replying.

What? ;)

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

15 minutes ago, rb2013 said:

PS Are there some forms of 'jitter' (digital distortions) that some folks find pleasing?  I wonder.

Yes. Several times I've read of tests showing higher jitter devices sounding better to some people than lower jitter versions. 

There can be euphonic jitter just like there can be euphonic analog distortion.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protectors +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Protection>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three BXT (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)