IGNORED

Munich High End Show 2017

Something that left a trace in my mind apart from the Estelon and Sound Galleries systems (I'm probably biased regarding those anyway ;) ), were three systems:

- Gato Audio

- Martin Logan speakers (as usual)

- Focal Utopia Evo III Maestro Special Edition (with Naim electronics)

Audiovector and Piega offered again nice ribbon driver sound I like. Too bad I didn't find Magnepans playing anywhere, just on static display.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

On 5/18/2017 at 0:37 PM, The Computer Audiophile said:

Constellation Audio Leo. This this is fabulous. The sound quality is so good and the design is great. Much more to come about this one.

P.S. The price won't be crazy, I'm told. 

IMG_20170518_121257.jpg

IMG_20170518_123135.jpg

I was listening to them Friday and they had an awful ratteling bass. I guess they got fixed!

10 hours ago, Nikhil said:

The Gobel Room - one of the best rooms 

What was interesting was the that new pad like driver in the middle - works from 170 Hz to 30KHz.  One of the real innovations at the Munich show.

IMG_20170520_1152594.jpg

Not quite so new! I listen to them at their showroom 4 years ago. They sound excellent and I am completely into bending wave drivers.

7 hours ago, Duke40 said:

The 3 white diffraction panels behind the speakers look great (in comparison to what i was looking at earlier today for room treatment, a lot of stuff looks like it turns your room into a monitoring studio, at least the white one in photo above looks better). Wonder what brand they are.

The panels are made by Rainer Weber, the guy who designed the speakers. 

- Mark

Synology DS916+ > SoTM dCBL-CAT7 > Netgear switch > SoTM dCBL-CAT7 > dCS Vivaldi Upsampler (Nordost Valhalla 2 power cord) > Nordost Valhalla 2 Dual 110 Ohm AES/EBU > dCS Vivaldi DAC (David Elrod Statement Gold power cord) > Nordost Valhalla 2 xlr > Absolare Passion preamp (Nordost Valhalla 2 power cord) > Nordost Valhalla 2 xlr > VTL MB-450 III (Shunyata King Cobra CX power cords) > Nordost Valhalla 2 speaker > Kaiser Kaewero Classic /JL Audio F110 (Wireworld Platinum power cord).

Power Conditioning: Entreq Olympus Tellus grounding (AC, preamp and dac) / Shunyata Hydra Triton + Typhoon (Shunyata Anaconda ZiTron umbilical/Shunyata King Cobra CX power cord) > Furutec GTX D-Rhodium AC outlet.

I was skeptical about ground filters but the CAD demo of their system +/- their GC1&3 filters showed that it sounded much clearer and musical with filters. Only quite pricey for a nice box full of some compound and some wires.

But more revelatory for me was a discussion I had at the Merging Technology booth about gigabit ethernet and Ravenna. http://www.merging.com/news/news-stories/merging-innovation-at-high-end-munich-2017

I hope that it will become a new standard and one can forget these fancy USB cables, purifier, reclocker and power supplies for these! Ravenna drivers are existing for Windows, MacOS and Linux. Roon's upcoming Nuc boxes using Ravenna would be likely the future if my DAC can play along!

20 minutes ago, Priaptor said:

Have you heard their smaller speakers?  The "cheap" variety?

Yes! the half sized ones which are better than the big ones in smaller rooms. But they had a model before which had  only a bending wave panel and separate subs. Were much cheaper but the sub integration was problematic. They are discontinued anyhow!

5 minutes ago, monteverdi said:

But more revelatory for me was a discussion I had at the Merging Technology booth about gigabit ethernet and Ravenna. http://www.merging.com/news/news-stories/merging-innovation-at-high-end-munich-2017

I hope that it will become a new standard and one can forget these fancy USB cables, purifier, reclocker and power supplies for these! Ravenna drivers are existing for Windows, MacOS and Linux. Roon's upcoming Nuc boxes using Ravenna would be likely the future if my DAC can play along!

Hi @monteverdi I too think this is the future. Having read the very long rednet thread powered by Dante on head-fi it seems to have a solid following. Did you get to learn more about potential modules or more DAC support?

31 minutes ago, Priaptor said:

Have you heard their smaller speakers?  The "cheap" variety?

This was also very good. Vitus amps

IMG_20170519_1433572.jpg

Custom Win10 Server | Mutec MC-3+ USB | Lampizator Amber | Job INT | ATC SCM20PSL + JL Audio E-Sub e110

2 minutes ago, m5sime said:

Hi @monteverdi I too think this is the future. Having read the very long rednet thread powered by Dante on head-fi it seems to have a solid following. Did you get to learn more about potential modules or more DAC support?

The z-man is that module and they said there are other DAC manufacturer interested but I got no names!

Any computer with Gb ethernet can be a sever with the right driver software (even my MacBook Pro TB which has only USB-C with the right adapter).

1 hour ago, elcorso said:

Beetle-P.Shack.thumb.jpeg.99fd5a8a2abf7e729420e83b1e26e7e6.jpeg

My Beetle-Radio Shack.

I do not know why they did not accept it in the show, even if it had the same color as the Porsche ...!

Roch

They already had a VW (the Bugatti). 

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

7 hours ago, semente said:

I wonder why the tweeters are pointing forward instead of being toed-in like the rest of the cabinet.

Where the speakers overly bright outside of the sweet spot?

Not really.  I suspect they did it for the sound stage 

Custom Win10 Server | Mutec MC-3+ USB | Lampizator Amber | Job INT | ATC SCM20PSL + JL Audio E-Sub e110

4 minutes ago, monteverdi said:

The z-man is that module and they said there are other DAC manufacturer interested but I got no names!

Any computer with Gb ethernet can be a sever with the right driver software (even my MacBook Pro TB which has only USB-C with the right adapter).

Any idea how much the module is or the Merging DAC with it in? The Dante solution rednet is very bulky pro audio. 

45 minutes ago, Nikhil said:

Not really.  I suspect they did it for the sound stage 

Precisely, optimized for room and wide listening area. 

- Mark

Synology DS916+ > SoTM dCBL-CAT7 > Netgear switch > SoTM dCBL-CAT7 > dCS Vivaldi Upsampler (Nordost Valhalla 2 power cord) > Nordost Valhalla 2 Dual 110 Ohm AES/EBU > dCS Vivaldi DAC (David Elrod Statement Gold power cord) > Nordost Valhalla 2 xlr > Absolare Passion preamp (Nordost Valhalla 2 power cord) > Nordost Valhalla 2 xlr > VTL MB-450 III (Shunyata King Cobra CX power cords) > Nordost Valhalla 2 speaker > Kaiser Kaewero Classic /JL Audio F110 (Wireworld Platinum power cord).

Power Conditioning: Entreq Olympus Tellus grounding (AC, preamp and dac) / Shunyata Hydra Triton + Typhoon (Shunyata Anaconda ZiTron umbilical/Shunyata King Cobra CX power cord) > Furutec GTX D-Rhodium AC outlet.

Many thanks Chris and Nikhil for the photos - the SHOW is certainly on my bucket list for the near future, but along way for Aus.

Sorry for the OT but the photos of the Porches, and references to their upgraded stereos, made me feel the need to report that the "standard" audio systems in both the Porsche and BMW are abysmal. I have had several BMW X3 and have just purchased a Porsche Macan and the sound in both is terrible. I bought new speakers for the BMW, which helped greatly, and will move them across to the Porsche. For two German companies that pride themselves on their engineering (the Porsche is sublime to drive) I'm surprised they don't place more emphasis on their audio.

Before I get accused of name dropping and being a tosser, I buy my cars second hand with a few kms (miles) on the clock and simply prefer an older well engineered European car (with the added safety) than a new light weight Korean toy.

Keep up the great work Chris - I read CA everyday and love it but don't post often.

LOUNGE: Mac Mini - Audirvana - Devialet 200 - ATOHM GT1 Speakers

OFFICE : Mac Mini - Audirvana - Benchmark DAC1HDR - ADAM A7 Active Monitors

TRAVEL : MacBook Air - Dragonfly V1.2 DAC - Sennheiser HD 650

BEACH : iPhone 6 - HRT iStreamer DAC - Akimate Micro + powered speakers