IGNORED

DIY DC power cables

1 minute ago, Daudio said:

Don't be a tease. name names !

AQ. but... let's wait for John's approval of the "electrically charging" the shielding before jumping on them ;)

Qnap HS-264 NAS (powered by an HD-Plex 100w LPS) > Cirrus7 Nimbini v2.5 Media Edition i7-8559U/32/512 running Roon ROCK (powered by a Keces P8 LPS) > Lumin U2  > Metrum Acoustics Adagio NOS digital preamplifier > Metrum Acoustics Forte power amplifier (or  First Watt SIT 3  power amplifier or Don Garber Fi "Y" 6922 tube preamplifier + Don Garber Fi "X" 2A3 SET power amplifier, both powered from an Alpha-Core BP-30 Isolated Symmetrical Power Transformer) > Klipsch Cornwall III

headphones system:

Cirrus 7 > Lumin U2 > Metrum Acoustics Adagio > Pathos Aurium amplifier (powered by an UpTone Audio JS-2 LPS) > Focal Clear headphones

For a 20 cm DC plug it may be an overkill to add the JS Shield guidelines. (JSSG). Also a challenge to implement. Though a metal housing may operate as a Faraday cage. Could this assumption be correct ?

However I'm thinking of adding JSSG to USB and Ethernet cabling would be very interesting. And again using proper connectors. 

After finishing with the DC cable with our Chinese friend, I was thinking of having him implementing JSSG into such cables.

Using same Belden as Blue Jeans, but a heavy duty connector, like the Vodka has. 

For USB, I'm wondering if making it with two separate cables, one for Vbus and one for signal, both shielded of cause. But I need some updated JSSG on  that one ?

On the other hand we rather spend our money on the USPCB...!

30 minutes ago, R1200CL said:

For USB, I'm wondering if making it with two separate cables, one for Vbus and one for signal, both shielded of cause.

Michael makes a very nice, unshielded, USB cable with vBus and ground separated from Data +/-

at the moment I'm using his Isolate Cu (no vBus) between Aries and USB Regen but I'll order one of the above as soon as I get my Iso Regen, which needs vBus ;)

Qnap HS-264 NAS (powered by an HD-Plex 100w LPS) > Cirrus7 Nimbini v2.5 Media Edition i7-8559U/32/512 running Roon ROCK (powered by a Keces P8 LPS) > Lumin U2  > Metrum Acoustics Adagio NOS digital preamplifier > Metrum Acoustics Forte power amplifier (or  First Watt SIT 3  power amplifier or Don Garber Fi "Y" 6922 tube preamplifier + Don Garber Fi "X" 2A3 SET power amplifier, both powered from an Alpha-Core BP-30 Isolated Symmetrical Power Transformer) > Klipsch Cornwall III

headphones system:

Cirrus 7 > Lumin U2 > Metrum Acoustics Adagio > Pathos Aurium amplifier (powered by an UpTone Audio JS-2 LPS) > Focal Clear headphones

I have Lapp AC power cables on my kit with the shield going to earth on one side as was the prescribed old way I was taught.

It won't be much effort to cut that end free and tack on an outside wire. 

But lucky we have Michael here for those who cant?

My power cables put me off trying new things as after spending on DIY materials.. there was no effect to my ears.

I should get a chance this weekend to rectify things.

Thanks everyone BTW for making this a great stress free fun thread.

Cheers

Dave

6 hours ago, R1200CL said:

I think you misunderstood. 

If you use the new UpTone USPCB between MicroRendu and ISO regen, then you may have a challange. 

@Superdad have not put any measurements on his website yet

IF you look at the photo's of the USPCB in the press release you can see that even with the Heatshrink it will be just a bit wider than the width of an "A" metal shellUSPCB_web.thumb.jpg.de79903e3eecae58a9e99f857dda801f.jpg

I sure it's finished size is not going to present any problems

6 hours ago, pl_svn said:

AQ. but... let's wait for John's approval of the "electrically charging" the shielding before jumping on them ;)

Omega Mikro has battery-connected copper mesh surrounding their ribbons.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

15 hours ago, JohnSwenson said:

So there you have it, shielding DOES work, but only if you provide a path from one end of the shield to the other. This is effective even if you don't connect the shield to anything else.

John 

Hi John, thanks for this knowledge. It's great to be able to built something audio related myself. Can you also share your thoughts on AC power cables sometime in the near future? 

5 hours ago, Michael-Elijah Audio said:

IF you look at the photo's of the USPCB in the press release you can see that even with the Heatshrink it will be just a bit wider than the width of an "A" metal shell

Michael,

I think the confusion here is that the concern is about the USPCB's length, not its width. Will there be enough room for the power connector and cable to bend out without interferring with the case of whatever is plugged into the other end of the very short USPCB ?

Looking at the rendu front for example would the other USPCB rotated work?

Stand the rendu on its edge?

Maybe an angled DC adapter that should allow it...

A bit of a let down with super DC cables... but would allow a down stream USPCB...

Sorry just thinking out loud DAUDIO ?

Don't mind me 

3 hours ago, Daudio said:

Michael,

I think the confusion here is that the concern is about the USPCB's length, not its width. Will there be enough room for the power connector and cable to bend out without interferring with the case of whatever is plugged into the other end of the very short USPCB ?

OK - got it - but only if using it between PC/Streamer and ISO Regen, which is not it's intended purpose

9 minutes ago, Michael-Elijah Audio said:

OK - got it - but only if using it between PC/Streamer and ISO Regen, which is not it's intended purpose

Well, I have a Regen connected with a hard adapter to the output of an Intona, and it's a bit of a tight fit for an ordinary barrel conn/cord between the two.

And if we would think on it more, could probably come up with other situations, then just these two  :) 

Come to think of it, this seems like a good application for a right-angle connector. Not any gold plated, that I know of, but the ones I've used fit tight enough and had no problems soldering 'normal' wire  :)

23 minutes ago, Michael-Elijah Audio said:

Have just ordered 2 of these - will need to be modified to accept larger dia. cable

That looks all too familiar !  You should have PM'ed me, cause I have far too many of those for my needs  :)

The only way I can see to modify that device for the kind of wire gauge in vogue here is to cut out the back of the two shells (the side opposite the metal barrel). and then add a heat-shrink sleeve to contain the center conductor wire. Do-able. Using a flush cutter to chop out that back ridge, with file cleanup, will quickly make a trough in the box for the 2nd big wire (through probably bigger then the hole in the solder tab :o ).

Should be dead easy to use the screw terminals with pin as a right angle connector, right?

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

3 minutes ago, Michael-Elijah Audio said:

World's first gold plated, right angled, Swenson sheilded, 18 AWG, star quad DC cable..... :)

Very innovative Michael. Is the black wire ground wire?

Qnap NAS (LPS) >UA ETHER REGEN (BG7TBL Master Clock) > Grimm MU1 > Mola Mola Tambaqui /Meridian 808.3> Wavac EC300B >Tannoy Canterbury SE

HP Rig ++ >Woo WES/ > Stax SR-009, Audeze LCD2

59 minutes ago, Michael-Elijah Audio said:

World's first gold plated, right angled

Ok, great job, but spill the beans on where/how you came up with the right angle connecter ! Home made perhaps ?  And why tease us with that crummy old Amazon thing :)

17 minutes ago, Daudio said:

Ok, great job, but spill the beans on where/how you came up with the right angle connecter ! Home made perhaps ?  And why tease us with that crummy old Amazon thing :)

It's a recycled Elec plug( without casing) -just bent the Gnd tab/strain relief 90 degrees

Had to use 19mm Heatshrink ( 3:1) to fit over the right angle

And yes, as per John's instructions the black wire is the loop completer Gnd wire

Damn nice job Michael! Can you point me to John's post where he discussed this external ground wire in how to wire iit up to DC connector? 

Thanks

chris 

Ryzen 7 2700 PC Server, NUC7CJYH w. 4G Apacer RAM as Renderer/LPS 1.2 - IsoRegen/LPS-1/.2 - Singxer SU-1/LPS1.2 - Holo Spring Level 3 DAC - LTA MicroZOTL MZ2 - Modwright KWA 150 Signature Amp - Tidal Audio Piano's.  

Hey Mike thanks for putting a smile on my face after a rough week thank you?

Does it have to run parallel with the cable shield to get full 'electron field '   interaction. I was going to use small cable ties for my power cable?

I say this like I  am more quoting Star trek, than John's theory.

Phasers to stun btw... ?

Kind regards

Dave