IGNORED

MQA is Vaporware

20 minutes ago, firedog said:

Kal is correct. The overtones don't exist by themselves in a vacuum. 
BTW, are you aware that many microphones - especially many of the most well regarded vintage ones - can't capture ultrasonics, or even anything approaching 20khz? Or that tape machines in studios were often purposely setup not to be able to record anything over 15khz or so? Yet many who listen to 96k or192k digital transcriptions of these tapes would make the same claim as you - that its the (non-existant) ultrasonics in their hi-res files that is responsible for their good sound. 

Yup. Speaking of vintage recordings from old tape machines... Here's HDTrack's Kind of Blue, "So What" (1959), in 24/96, FFT averaged over about a minute of audio to clarify the sonic content:

Kind_of_Blue_-_HDTracks_96kHz.thumb.png.742e571e6627190d5ff31974ceb0fd10.png

Notice it's essentially -95dBFS and lower noise from 21kHz onward. I see that HDTracks offers the 192kHz version as well. For $5.00 more of course... Not exactly good value IMO.

Archimago's Musings: A "more objective" take for the Rational Audiophile.

Beyond mere fidelity, into immersion and realism.

:nomqa: R.I.P. MQA 2014-2023: Hyped product thanks to uneducated, uncritical advocates & captured press.

14 minutes ago, Shadders said:

Hi,

Yes - but the main content from 100Hz is at -35dB, so this is a difference of 60dB, as per the many download recordings analysed by Hifi News. Maybe they have not used all the bits - 8bits at the top going spare ?

Regards,

Shadders.

Indeed. I'm certainly not going to argue that KoB "needs" more than 16-bits either!

:nomqa: R.I.P. MQA 2014-2023: Hyped product thanks to uneducated, uncritical advocates & captured press.

• 1 month later...
2 minutes ago, KeenObserver said:

Always good to hear from you!

Are you a scientist?

Well... "Scientist" may be difficult to define and depends on what level of academic life one is engaged in.

Let's say I work at the university, my degrees have the word "science" in them, and my faculty appointment also has the word "professor" in there somewhere :-).

• 1 month later...
5 minutes ago, Rt66indierock said:

It will be fun especially the presentations and discussions about objective parts of the hobby. 

Any specific presentations you're looking at @Rt66indierock?

I assume no MQA presentation this year??? 🤔

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/7/2019 at 1:29 PM, The Computer Audiophile said:

I just happened to be in room 6117 at 11. @Rt66indierock was also there. Ken from MQA was in the back. 

But, for some reason the MQA presentation didn’t happen. 

Glad I didn't bother going yesterday! On way back home now. Nice meeting you @Rt66indierockand @The Computer Audiophile!

2 hours ago, esldude said:

Did you get NDA's to protect your troublesome anonymity?  :)

I think I'm pretty safe with these guys... Hell, if MQA is afraid to present with @Rt66indierockin the audience, I got nothing to worry about :-).

No kidding getting out of Denver is hard. My flight has been delayed 2 hours already.

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, lucretius said:

Looks like he's desperately trying to stay relevant.

I chatted with David a few times I think back in 2017. Nice enough fellow but I think he does get a bit too excited about the technology whether it be DSD or now MQA. The music is recorded well and sound quality is good because of that rather than whatever format du jour...

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, crenca said:

... It's a niche hobby so we more often than not don't have several authorities measuring the same piece of gear, so IMO it's best to take them for what they are:   data point(s) from a single flawed individual who usually has an agenda/ego/"philosophy"...

Well said.

Certainly no argument from me that we all have our own "agenda / ego / philosophy" whether consciously or subconsciously expressed. 🙂

Agree or not with the other person's opinion, I think internal consistency of one's philosophy and clarity of communication are essentials when debating. In this regard, I'm not sure I understand where Amir is coming from or why he feels the way he does about MQA...

3 hours ago, Rt66indierock said:

Agrred, MQA Ltd and Tidal’s financials haven’t been posted yet.

What's the meaning of this @Rt66indierock? Is it mandatory? Is there a firm deadline?

2 hours ago, Currawong said:

I think this the crux of the issue. I was talking to a dealer here in Japan the other day about MQA and he was talking about how the only people who buy MQA CDs were old audiophiles who wanted their "high res" without having to deal with a computer.

Did the dealer indicate how well those MQA-CD releases are selling? I bet the blue light shining would be much more reassuring than just a label on the box saying XRCD, UHQCD, Blu-Spec...!

9 hours ago, Currawong said:

I didn't ask. I don't know what is going on within the Japanese hi-fi scene. With the Tokyo show coming up I'll ask. 

That would be very interesting @Currawong! Not just about MQA but also thoughts about the cultural differences among audiophiles. With streaming becoming (or is already) a majority chunk of music consumption the disparity with physical content purchasing especially as we've heard in Japan is interesting...

Enjoy the Tokyo Show and hope you let us know what's going on in that part of the world!

• 2 weeks later...