IGNORED

MQA is Vaporware

3 minutes ago, Shadders said:

Does anyone know if the two digital files - MQA and High Resolution, were compared with the MQA signal BEFORE the MQA filters were applied ?

Could you help me better understand what you mean here?

What I'm calling the 'MQA capture' is a 24/48 MQA file which has been decoded to 24/96, using Roon's MQA decoder. No MQA rendering has taken place. I've never quite understood whether any so-called 'MQA deblurring' is taking place in the decoder, the renderer, or both.

Mani.

Main: SOtM sMS-200 -> Okto dac8PRO -> 6x Neurochrome 286 mono amps -> Tune Audio Anima horns + 2x Rotel RB-1590 amps -> 4 subs

Home Office: SOtM sMS-200 -> MOTU UltraLite-mk5 -> 6x Neurochrome 286 mono amps -> Impulse H2 speakers

Vinyl: Technics SP10 / London (Decca) Reference -> Trafomatic Luna -> RME ADI-2 Pro

1 hour ago, pkane2001 said:

Here's a report.

That's great. Thanks Paul.

So, it seems I didn't do too bad a job at aligning the files manually:

Deltawave_Mani.thumb.jpg.4cf3cf2516d9113f8594d41d959ea8de.jpg

The Delta Phase plot looks interesting:

385769890_DeltaPhase.JPG.344f9a6114d0e4e2d0dd2e6f5bb63a7f.JPG

Anyone have any thoughts about this?

Mani.

Main: SOtM sMS-200 -> Okto dac8PRO -> 6x Neurochrome 286 mono amps -> Tune Audio Anima horns + 2x Rotel RB-1590 amps -> 4 subs

Home Office: SOtM sMS-200 -> MOTU UltraLite-mk5 -> 6x Neurochrome 286 mono amps -> Impulse H2 speakers

Vinyl: Technics SP10 / London (Decca) Reference -> Trafomatic Luna -> RME ADI-2 Pro

1 hour ago, Shadders said:

If it is possible to tap into the signal before the MQA filters - then we could see the difference between the MQA deblurred file and a normal high resolution file of the same song.

I think my files are about as close as we can get at this point.

Mani.

7 hours ago, Miska said:

Been through some kind of minimum phase filter?

OK, if so, nothing that we couldn't do ourselves during playback.

Whatever's causing what's seen on the delta-phase plot, its affect seems to be audible - to my ears, the MQA sounds different to the hires. Actually, everyone who took the blind test reported hearing differences, and the descriptions were pretty consistent.

I think those who consider MQA a simple compression scheme are mistaken. It seems to be doing more...

Mani.

• 4 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Sonicularity said:

Ok, listening test completed.  I created a playlist in Roon using the Qobuz 24/96 version, Tidal MQA decoded with Roon's core decoder to 24/96, and Tidal 16/44.1 lossless file.

I decided to run 12 trials, hitting the shuffle button for the playlist queue and then attempting to identify the version.  I made a quick table and placed an X for my selection and then checked to see what file was actually being played.

With regards to the 16/44.1 and either 24/96 version, I was correct 12/12.  I was not able to statistically identify which 24/96 version was playing, though I was beginning to think it was possible with a bit more concentration.  I did this test quickly in under 5 minutes.  The differences I believe I was hearing between 16/44.1 and 24/96 were not blatantly obvious, but even with inexpensive speakers, I was able to identify this difference consistently.  Due to the types of differences I was hearing, I would assume that this would be even easier to identify using headphones or better equipment.

1783260904_ListeningTestResults.thumb.PNG.9f23658b2ea7ae77b26e269a8cb75480.PNG133090591_LTScreenCapture.thumb.PNG.df78f50852b20b4e0dae81324c167d9c.PNG

So you identified decoded-MQA vs. hires correctly 5/9 times, right?

Mani.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
15 hours ago, mansr said:

As an actual example of such changes being applied, look at the 2L-125 demo track. The MQA version is 1.3 dB louder across the spectrum:

This hasn't been what I've found in my 'apples-to-apples' comparisons of hires vs. MQA from the same master. The differences are typically very, very small:

674982438_DifferenceFile-Originalvs.MQACapture.thumb.JPG.559262b00efd6b2636bf8709a82b0b69.JPG

Subjectively, they sound as loud as each other. And yet, they do sound different, as evidenced in the three 'apples-to-apples' threads. Aggregating the results of the three threads, people seemed to prefer the sound of MQA over hires (from the same master) in about 50% of cases. Draw whatever conclusion you wish...

Mani.

43 minutes ago, botrytis said:

One should only pay if there is a definite improvement which there is not.

Difficult to argue against.

1 minute ago, mansr said:

If they wanted, that PCM data could be distributed as standard FLAC and played on any existing system.

Yep, I agree.

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, mansr said:

We can create test signals for input to an MQA "renderer" which is what this is.

You can fool the MQA renderer into thinking that this is an MQA-encoded signal that has been decoded?

9 minutes ago, John_Atkinson said:

However, a file sampled at 96kHz can't have content at 80kHz.

No, the renderer seems to be adding the 80kHz content.

The 86kHz 'noise' is just the imaging (48+38 kHz) due to the 'leaky' MQA filter. I'm sure MQA would argue that no regular music content would have any signal lying at -10dB at 10kHz.

I'm sure something like the 'polynomial' filters in HQPlayer would produce a similar result with a -10dB 10kHz signal. Probably why @Miska recommends against using them.

Mani.

35 minutes ago, John_Atkinson said:

The latter has a much cleaner spectrum, though the aliased product at 86kHz lies close to the same level.

I know @mansr has already pointed this out, but you really should refer to this as 'imaging' and not 'aliasing'.

1 hour ago, mansr said:

The spikes at 66 kHz, 76 kHz, and 96 kHz are the result of intermodulation between the 10 kHz and 86 kHz frequencies.

Surely the spikes at 66 kHz and 76kHz are simply the images of the 30 kHz and 20 kHz harmonics, respectively?

1 hour ago, mansr said:

No idea what's going on at 94 kHz. Anyone care to speculate?

Nothing of interest, as far as I can see. Did you mean ~70 kHz and ~90 kHz?

Edit: I was looking at @vortecjr's FFT.

5 minutes ago, mansr said:

No. Non-linear distortion can only happen after the interpolation filter where the imaging occurs.

It looks obvious to me that the spikes at 56 kHz, 66 kHz and 76 kHz are images of the harmonics at 40 kHz, 30 kHz and 20 kHz, respectively. (Much easier to see on @vortecjr's plot.)

4 minutes ago, mansr said:

Although images of those frequencies would land there, that isn't what is happening. At the time of the digital interpolation, the harmonic distortion hasn't happened yet, so there's nothing at 20/30/40 kHz to create such images. The non-linear distortion (harmonic and intermodulation) only occurs in the analogue circuitry.

Yep, I see what you mean. Still, it seems strange that the intermodulation distortion in the analogue circuitry sits exactly at 56 kHz, 66 kHz and 76 kHz.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, Fx Studio said:

But it is interesting that you spotted that the MQA is the better sounding of the two.

A joker! But don't give up your day job.