IGNORED

MQA is Vaporware

8 hours ago, Don Hills said:

Do you know if it's a decoder or just a renderer - will require a core decoder in the app? (I suspect renderer only.)

There's no such thing as an MQA decoder or renderer inside a DAC chip. It's all done in software on the application processor. The Oreo requirement probably has something to do with how the Android audio subsystem handles various sample rates, volume control, etc.

On 10/27/2017 at 3:44 PM, Charles Hansen said:

. The article I saw said that iOS 11 was ready for all phone with 64-bit processors, but not yet for iPads with the same processor. Keep 'em confused...  :)

Perhaps I’m misunderstanding your post but for what it’s worth, my iPad Air 2 has a 64 bit processor and is running iOS 11.0.3. 

On 10/25/2017 at 1:23 AM, esldude said:

Count me as another of those who found Nakamichi to work well with Dolby.  Did all my needledrops (not what they were called then) with Dolby C and good tapes.  Of course I played them back on Nak tape decks.  I even had Nak head units in my cars in those years.  A TD700 and TD500.  Those head units were excellent all the way around.  Not only great tape sections, the FM tuners were exemplary as well.  Still have one head unit, one home tape deck and some tapes. 

Image result for nakamichi td 700

Cut me out when it has anything to do with Dolby.  In the late 1980's  I got a Nak C7-A cassette deck and used it to make live vs. recorded A-B tests of my wife's Steinway B.  I also used a Tandberg 7.5 2T reel to reel deck.  The Dolby destroyed all of the dynamics of the sound.  The only way to get acceptable sound out of the Nak was to turn off Dolby, turn the recording volume way down and live with the tape hiss.  If you recorded without Dolby at a high enough level that the hiss wasn't audible then the tape saturation destroyed the dynamics.  By contrast the Tandburg would produce a recording that was essentially equivalent to the live performance, unless you got real close to the speakers, at which point you could barely hear the tape hiss.

IMO, the end of classic hi-fi came when professional tape recording introduced Dolby - A which had the same deleterious effect on sound quality (albeit muted) as did Dolby B and C.  Worse, it made practical multi-channel recordings and mixed down, after which there were few record labels making purist recordings.

As far as I am concerned, Dolby was an evil force on audio, but made a lot of money.  And my take on MQA is that it is an ill-advised attempt to create negative technology in another "get rich quick" scam.

On 10/27/2017 at 1:20 PM, mansr said:

ROTFL. Show me one, just one, "technical" explanation from Shunyata that is even scientifically meaningful, never mind accurate.

Try listening to Ted Denney of Synergistic Research sometime. I demoed some cables about 20 years ago and spoke with him on the phone. I swear he was making up  some Feng Shui voodoo  crap while he was telling it to me.

5 hours ago, daverich4 said:

Perhaps I’m misunderstanding your post but for what it’s worth, my iPad Air 2 has a 64 bit processor and is running iOS 11.0.3. 

My understanding is that you should be able to import a FLAC file and play it merely by double-clicking (or whatever non-intuitive "gesture" Apple now uses). Can you play FLAC files now without the assistance of a 3rd-part app?

Thanks!

Charles Hansen

Dumb Analog Hardware Engineer
Former Transducer Designer

2 hours ago, rickca said:

This quote is from a recent John Darko article:

“No MQA, No Deal”

Wow!  Where does he get this crap?  MQA is just making stuff up,  it's alternative facts.  This is what sales guys call a presumptive close.

Great question! With TAS we are almost certain it was pure bribery. With Stereophile it is becoming clearer and clearer that JA considers Bob Stuart to be one of his "heroes", so when given a deliberately deceptive demo fell for it hook, line, and sinker.

But with Darko I don't know. I've pushed back on him many times via private e-mail correspondence. It is likely one of the above (or a combination). but I don't know which.

Charles Hansen

1 hour ago, Tony Lauck said:

Cut me out when it has anything to do with Dolby.

As far as I am concerned, Dolby was an evil force on audio, but made a lot of money.  And my take on MQA is that it is an ill-advised attempt to create negative technology in another "get rich quick" scam.

Hi Tony,

Agree 100%. The problem with Dolby is that unlike the "purist" approach that John Curl started with his JC-2 preamp for Mark Levinson - the first commercial preamp in the world to drop tone controls (and "loudness buttons"), Dolby noise reduction schemes sent the analog signal through a horribly complex maze of additional circuitry and filters. All else being equal, a simpler signal path is going to sound better than a long convoluted one - especially when Dolby B was implemented on consumer-grade tape decks with ICs and terrible-sounding capacitors.

Even in the pro world where Dolby A was used (with four separate bands of compansion rather than the single band of Dolby B used for consumer products), I know of at least one recording that was made with a pro deck using Dolby A. When the artist heard it played back he was horrified by the poor sound quality.  The only thing that could be done at that point was to play back those tracks (a complete symphony orchestra!) without the Dolby engaged on the playback side. Even though this caused measurable errors in the frequency response versus level and strange frequency-related compression artifacts, the artist felt that it was better to leave it like that than add another layer of horrible sounding Dolby circuitry to those tracks (which subsequently were part of the overall mix of many other instruments and vocals).

Charles Hansen

7 minutes ago, Charles Hansen said:

Great question! With TAS we are almost certain it was pure bribery. With Stereophile it is becoming clearer and clearer that JA considers Bob Stuart to be one of his "heroes", so when given a deliberately deceptive demo fell for it hook, line, and sinker.

But with Darko I don't know. I've pushed back on him many times via private e-mail correspondence. It is likely one of the above (or a combination). but I don't know which.

Yeah,  Darko suddenly flipped one day like someone got to him. Maybe he took an immunity deal. :P I don't read his blog anymore for various reasons. I noticed he was censoring everything and deleting parts of my posts. I'm Done.

12 minutes ago, labjr said:

Yeah,  Darko suddenly flipped one day like someone got to him. Maybe he took an immunity deal. :P I don't read his blog anymore for various reasons. I noticed he was censoring everything and deleting parts of my posts. I'm Done.

Interesting that he would censor your posts. I've no idea what they were about. But it is equally interesting that any time there was any mention of MQA, (paid?) fanboy Peter Veth would make dozens of comments on the article, which Darko had no problem publishing.

Which of your viewpoints was Darko trying to suppress?

Charles Hansen

16 hours ago, mcgillroy said:

Actually I believe that MQA was at least in part aimed exactly at the cell-phone market. Namely at Apple and Google which dominate this market - everybody else is also-runs loosing money.

Apple & Google not only sell phones and their operating systems, they provide platforms where music-streaming is part of the consumption-options. As such they basically control access to more than 90% of the listeners and certainly a sizeable chunk of the profits. The coming wave of smart-speakers will only extend this reach.

The labels are at their mercy. 

It could have worked if they didn't had it botched so badly with their "let's punk the audiophiles-first" marketing strategy.

Actually Apple and Google also lose money by streaming if you look at that business in isolation. But there are other offsetting compensations that allow Apple and Google to make money in other ways.

As an example, even though the music industry completely screwed themselves by giving 30% of the profit to Apple, and then allowing Apple to sell the individual songs on every album at 1/12 the album price (the old model in the days of vinyl was to sell the best song and a "throw-away" together for 1/4" of the album price, and if you wanted more songs than that you had to buy the entire album), Apple never made any money directly from iTunes.

Instead, iTunes was just a way to sell highly profitable iPods, which in turn pushed people towards buying highly profitable Mac computers, and highly profitable iPads. It's the exact same business mode where updates to the operating system are "free". Since the Mac OS only runs on Apple products,  they use it as a loss-leader to boost sales of their other highly profitable products.

~~~~~~~~~~

Yes, at the present times the labels are at the mercy of the tech companies - first through the sales of downloads, and even more so through streaming. Currently over half the revenue of the record labels comes from royalties through streaming. YouTube (aka Google aka Alphabet) currently pays billions to the labels for all of the music that is streamed at 126kb/s (not 128 - I don't know why) on YouTube - which is pretty much everything out there except for a handful of artists (not record labels) who have demanded YouTube remove their copyrighted material.

The details of the real story are incredibly complex, but the basis of it is very simple -  money and greed.

By the way, I know for a fact that Google (at least) is completely and totally anti-MQA. So if either Bob Stuart - or even the record labels - think they can push MQA through, when Google is opposed, then Bob Stuart (and the labels) are deluding themselves. Unless the record labels think that they can live without the billions in revenue they currently receive from Google. I would assume that Apple's position is similar to Google's.

In a way it would be great for the record label to be independent of the tech giants. But if it comes at the cost of adding MQA to the mix, it's not worth it to me, at least. Google and Apple sell crap to people who don't care about quality. MQA removes quality and there is a strong potential that the record labels would stop making non-DRM'ed high-res (or even Redbook quality) files available if MQA ever becomes successful.

But at this point I don't think we have to worry. Google has been monitoring the situation fairly closely. Their assessment (particularly after the latest AES convention) is that MQA has already failed. Dead. Done. Not worth even worrying about. Interesting, eh?

Charles Hansen

31 minutes ago, Charles Hansen said:

Interesting that he would censor your posts. I've no idea what they were about. But it is equally interesting that any time there was any mention of MQA, (paid?) fanboy Peter Veth would make dozens of comments on the article, which Darko had no problem publishing.

Which of your viewpoints was Darko trying to suppress?

It's probably been a year since I've been on the site. But most of my posts were similar to stuff I post here. He would delete sarcasm, argumentative language and anything that seemed remotely negative. Looked to me like he was trying to fine tune every little thing so it looked pretty for his advertisers. 

Edit: As it was, it was hard to have a conversation because it took sometimes an entire day for him to moderate posts. 

1 hour ago, Charles Hansen said:

the music industry completely screwed themselves by giving 30% of the profit to Apple

What if MQA did the same thing? Of course, at the moment there is no profit.

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

14 hours ago, Charles Hansen said:

My understanding is that you should be able to import a FLAC file and play it merely by double-clicking (or whatever non-intuitive "gesture" Apple now uses). Can you play FLAC files now without the assistance of a 3rd-part app?

Thanks!

I’ve read that if you have the FLAC files in iCloud or Dropbox or something similar you can access and play them from there with an iPad. I didn’t try that but using the new Files App in iOS 11 I tried clicking on a FLAC file but nothing happens so in my case, I guess the answer to your question is no. 

20 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

MQA was at first going to be used as the solution for Pono. Not sure what problem this solution addressed, but the team at Pono (when real businessmen ran the company, not Neil Young or his industry chronies) decided MQA didn't make sense. 

And talk at the time included some rather heavy-handed DRM features.

2 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

MQA was at first going to be used as the solution for Pono. Not sure what problem this solution addressed, but the team at Pono (when real businessmen ran the company, not Neil Young or his industry chronies) decided MQA didn't make sense.

Sources for this story, please?

Thanks!

Charles Hansen