IGNORED

A novel way to massively improve the SQ of computer audio streaming

Message added by The Computer Audiophile

Important and useful information about this thread

Posting guidelines

History and index of useful posts

Most important: please realize this thread is about bleeding edge experimentation and discovery. No one has The Answer™. If you are not into tweaking, just know that you can have a musically satisfying system without doing any of the nutty things we do here.

Well, I'm clearly very late to the party.  But today had the chance to set up the network bridge and am happy with the improvement!  Agree with all the comments about a "veil lifted" - more of a live, present sound.

I'm currently just using a standard Dell PC (with 1TB SSD drive) as a Roon server ... has me thinking about what tweaks need to be done if the server also has a big impact on SQ ... 

I'm close to break-in  of the combo SOtM SMS-200Ultra/ts-USBultra/SPS-500, together with the SOtM-sourced D-Link switch timed by the SMS-200Ultra via a 6" SMB cable from Digikey.  All SOtM pieces are synchronized to a Stanford Research Systems Perf-10MHz rubidium clock via Canare 75ohm BNC cables, with the Perf-10 powered at 12 Vdc by a Hynes SR-7. This is definitely an improvement over mR powered by Hynes SR-7.  The gestalt is enhanced with short DIY USB cables made of shielded 3 nines dead soft silver USB cables.  Building a good silver USB cable is fairly simple.  I wouldn't waste $$ in that area.      

3 hours ago, dgarretson said:

I'm close to break-in  of the combo SOtM SMS-200Ultra/ts-USBultra/SPS-500, together with the SOtM-sourced D-Link switch timed by the SMS-200Ultra via a 6" SMB cable from Digikey.  All SOtM pieces are synchronized to a Stanford Research Systems Perf-10MHz rubidium clock via Canare 75ohm BNC cables, with the Perf-10 powered at 12 Vdc by a Hynes SR-7. This is definitely an improvement over mR powered by Hynes SR-7.  The gestalt is enhanced with short DIY USB cables made of shielded 3 nines dead soft silver USB cables.  Building a good silver USB cable is fairly simple.  I wouldn't waste $$ in that area.      

Welcome to CA! 

Please do share your listening impressions, especially in comparison to whatever you were using previously. Also, what are you hearing in terms of improvements specifically attributable to the Stanford Research Rubidium 10MHz reference clock.

Nice setup indeed!

21 hours ago, atxkyle said:

Well, I'm clearly very late to the party.  But today had the chance to set up the network bridge and am happy with the improvement!  Agree with all the comments about a "veil lifted" - more of a live, present sound.

I'm currently just using a standard Dell PC (with 1TB SSD drive) as a Roon server ... has me thinking about what tweaks need to be done if the server also has a big impact on SQ ... 

Welcome to the discussion!

Glad you experienced the improvement due to bridging. What endpoint are you using (mR/sMS/...)?

Do read the index in the first post for pointers to other areas of exploration beyond bridging.

I also use a Dell desktop system as my bridged network/Roon server, and one easy improvement I got was by installing AO (Audiophile Optimizer) and Process Lasso (PL), even without any other HW changes.

7 hours ago, dgarretson said:

So the ~7000$ sotm chain better than mr+SR7.:D:D:D

Has anybody compared the Mutec MC3+ USB to the SOtM dX-USB HD Ultra? In my setup the sMS-200 Ultra is connected to the Mutec MC3+ USB, which then feeds my Devialet 400 through AES (which should be the best input for the Devialet). Would the presumably better clock of the dX make a significant difference?

I am also considering to at one stage add a master clock (e.g. Mutec REF 10) to my setup. As the clock signal is then coming from this device, does the original clock boards of the components it feeds matter or would the end result be the same regardless of it’s a Mutec or a dX being fed?

3 hours ago, Deusvult said:

Has anybody compared the Mutec MC3+ USB to the SOtM dX-USB HD Ultra? In my setup the sMS-200 Ultra is connected to the Mutec MC3+ USB, which then feeds my Devialet 400 through AES (which should be the best input for the Devialet). Would the presumably better clock of the dX make a significant difference?

I am also considering to at one stage add a master clock (e.g. Mutec REF 10) to my setup. As the clock signal is then coming from this device, does the original clock boards of the components it feeds matter or would the end result be the same regardless of it’s a Mutec or a dX being fed?

The SOTM doesn't feature galvanic isolation on the USB input whereas the Mutec does. It's also likely, the AES3 has transformer to isolate as well, but not 100% sure.

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

23 hours ago, austinpop said:

Welcome to the discussion!

Glad you experienced the improvement due to bridging. What endpoint are you using (mR/sMS/...)?

Do read the index in the first post for pointers to other areas of exploration beyond bridging.

I also use a Dell desktop system as my bridged network/Roon server, and one easy improvement I got was by installing AO (Audiophile Optimizer) and Process Lasso (PL), even without any other HW changes.

Thanks!  Although after I made this post I started getting blue screens of death and haven't been able to resolve it yet.  It was a driver error and I ordered a new PCI ethernet card to try instead of the USB-ethernet adapter I was using, so I'm hoping that will do the trick. 

I'm using microRendu as an endpoint.  Still the original 1.3 board but considering the update to the 1.4 board.  Haven't looked into other areas of tuning beyond bridging yet, but will look forward to doing so. 

Re: the Dell PC, I guess we Austin guys are loyal to the local Dell brand huh? (I live in Austin too if you didn't gather that from my handle).  My PC doubles as office PC and Roon Server.  From a quick look at the AO manual it sounds like it only intended for a dedicated audio PC?  But if its true that microRendu isn't immune to upstream noise, might have to go the dedicated/optimized Roon server route at some point. 

On 8/3/2017 at 0:11 PM, austinpop said:

That review certainly matches the findings on this thread. It's too bad they didn't think to try an sCLK-EX modded switch.

Thanks for update! The sPS-500 is sounding like a winner. I guess it was only a matter of time before an audiophile SMPS would be going head to head with the best LPSes out there.

I don't claim to be an expert and I own LPSUs, but I value this company's expertise.

AUDIO MYTH - "SWITCHING POWER SUPPLIES ARE NOISY"

Here's a snipit from Benchmark's site:

THIS MYTH GOES SOMETHING LIKE THIS:

"Switching supplies are noisy."

"Linear power supplies are best for audio."

We disagree!

About 5 years ago, Benchmark stopped putting linear power supplies into our new products, and we replaced them with switching power supplies. We did this because linear supplies are too noisy. Yes, you read that correctly, linear supplies are noisy! A well-designed switching power supply can be much quieter than a linear supply.

LINEAR POWER SUPPLIES CAUSE HUM

The noise problem is due to the fact that linear power supplies have large transformers and other magnetic components that operate at the AC line frequency (50 Hz to 60 Hz). These line frequencies are audible, and we are all too familiar with the hum and buzz that audio products can produce. It is no secret that this noise is caused by the power supply, but few people understand why it can be so hard to eliminate. Most people think that hum is caused by conducted interference (AC ripple on the power supply rails), but this is rarely the case. Most AC hum is caused by magnetic interference, and this can be very hard to eliminate.

HUM IS USUALLY CAUSED BY MAGNETIC INTERFERENCE

Transformers are magnetic devices. Power is magnetically transmitted between a transformer's input and output windings. In a linear supply, power is transmitted from the AC line side of a transformer to the low-voltage secondary side using an AC line-frequency magnetic field. Unfortunately, transformers are never perfect, and some energy always escapes through stray magnetic fields. These stray fields can interfere with virtually every electrical conductor in an audio product. Magnetic shielding is expensive and it has limited effectiveness when sensitive circuits are located in close proximity to a strong field.

POWER AMPLIFIERS ARE THE WORST OFFENDERS

The power supplies in high power devices, such as audio power amplifiers, can emit very strong magnetic fields. These strong fields tend to limit the noise performance (SNR) of power amplifiers. These magnetic fields can also cause interference with audio products that happen to be too near the amplifier. Audio cables that enter, exit, or pass near the amplifier may also pick up unwanted hum and buzz. For this reason, it is usually very important to keep the power amplifier well separated from cables and other components in the audio system.

28 minutes ago, Johnseye said:

I don't claim to be an expert and I own LPSUs, but I value this company's expertise.

AUDIO MYTH - "SWITCHING POWER SUPPLIES ARE NOISY"

Here's a snipit from Benchmark's site:

THIS MYTH GOES SOMETHING LIKE THIS:

"Switching supplies are noisy."

"Linear power supplies are best for audio."

We disagree!

About 5 years ago, Benchmark stopped putting linear power supplies into our new products, and we replaced them with switching power supplies. We did this because linear supplies are too noisy. Yes, you read that correctly, linear supplies are noisy! A well-designed switching power supply can be much quieter than a linear supply.

LINEAR POWER SUPPLIES CAUSE HUM

The noise problem is due to the fact that linear power supplies have large transformers and other magnetic components that operate at the AC line frequency (50 Hz to 60 Hz). These line frequencies are audible, and we are all too familiar with the hum and buzz that audio products can produce. It is no secret that this noise is caused by the power supply, but few people understand why it can be so hard to eliminate. Most people think that hum is caused by conducted interference (AC ripple on the power supply rails), but this is rarely the case. Most AC hum is caused by magnetic interference, and this can be very hard to eliminate.

HUM IS USUALLY CAUSED BY MAGNETIC INTERFERENCE

Transformers are magnetic devices. Power is magnetically transmitted between a transformer's input and output windings. In a linear supply, power is transmitted from the AC line side of a transformer to the low-voltage secondary side using an AC line-frequency magnetic field. Unfortunately, transformers are never perfect, and some energy always escapes through stray magnetic fields. These stray fields can interfere with virtually every electrical conductor in an audio product. Magnetic shielding is expensive and it has limited effectiveness when sensitive circuits are located in close proximity to a strong field.

POWER AMPLIFIERS ARE THE WORST OFFENDERS

The power supplies in high power devices, such as audio power amplifiers, can emit very strong magnetic fields. These strong fields tend to limit the noise performance (SNR) of power amplifiers. These magnetic fields can also cause interference with audio products that happen to be too near the amplifier. Audio cables that enter, exit, or pass near the amplifier may also pick up unwanted hum and buzz. For this reason, it is usually very important to keep the power amplifier well separated from cables and other components in the audio system.

Very interesting! I was the happy owner of a Benchmark DAC2 HDR for a couple of years, so I too value their expertise.

It just goes to show that one shouldn't cling to any given technology dogmatically, but rather keep an open mind and ears.

I own a Crayon Audio integrated amp (CFA 1.2) that has a switching power supply, manufactured in China (the amp itself is manufactured in Germany). I've owned amps by Shindo and Bakoon and have had earlier versions of Vinnie Rossi's SS amps in my system. The Crayon is extremely quiet and transparent and does a lot of other things at a very high level. Best not to be dogmatic. 

1 hour ago, austinpop said:

Very interesting! I was the happy owner of a Benchmark DAC2 HDR for a couple of years, so I too value their expertise.

It just goes to show that one shouldn't cling to any given technology dogmatically, but rather keep an open mind and ears.

The DAC3 is out which I'm going to have to give an audition.

Here's some other interesting info from that page.  The mention of filtering out interference made me think of Lee at SOtM's comments about his preference toward filtering.

OUT-OF-BAND NOISE

One major advantage of switching supplies is that the operating frequency is above the range of human hearing. If interference occurs, it will not cause audible interference. This interference can even be removed with a filter without infringing on the audio band. But, the power supply in the AHB2 is so quiet that we do not need to filter the audio output. The AHB2 delivers a 200 kHz bandwidth without evidence of any significant switching noise, to a measurement limit of 500 kHz.

and perhaps why SOtM is not using a linear supply:

"Please note that magnetic interference is radiated not conducted. This means that is cannot be removed with filter capacitors. Adding filters to a linear supply will not remove the hum and buzz from a power amplifier."

After the switching vs linear video is a star quad cable comparison.  Interesting to hear how magnetic interference effects sound.

The Meitner MA1 has a smps. Sound  very good anyway.

Meitner ma1 v2 dac,  Sovereign preamp and power amp,

DIY speakers, scan speak illuminator.

Raal Requisite VM-1a -> SR-1a with Accurate Sound convolution.

Under development:

NUC7i7dnbe, Euphony Stylus, Qobuz.

Modded Buffalo-fiber-EtherRegen, DC3- Isoregen, Lush^2

I'm sorry, but after hearing from Rob Watts and his great design for filtering power to perfection for his DAC designs only to find that a good LPS was much better, I don't believe anybody and their smps claims.  Best to get off the direct AC power grid and/or add an isolation transformer.

(JRiver) Jetway barebones NUC (mod 3 sCLK-EX, Cybershaft OP 14)  (PH SR7) => mini pcie adapter to PCIe 1X => tXUSBexp PCIe card (mod sCLK-EX) (PH SR7) => (USPCB) Chord DAVE => Omega Super 8XRS/REL t5i  (All powered thru Topaz Isolation Transformer)

People have said the Elgar is a little quieter transformer  hum but the Topaz Elgar's v low winding capacitance is the strong point.

With second hand models it's always good to get an EE to pass them off as safe....

Airlink do a US version but as for UK to US is the freight cost. 

Can anyone confirm the use of a Phasure "Lush" cable with the SOTM double stack (SMS-200 Ultra + tXUSBultra) or trifecta (+ switch)? Peter and I are trying to determine whether the cable I received is singularly defective or that the cable fails to work in tandem with the above variables. Upon receiving and inserting the cable last night, I heard, from the first, "snap, crackle and pop(s)". Within 10 or perhaps 20 seconds, a strident and piercing hash would follow, not unlike the spasmodic introduction of white noise. I cross-examined all variables, from power-conditioner to server, source and all components downstream, to no avail. This culminated in a cable swap and all was right with the world again. 

So, has anyone used the Lush in a similar setup? Was it a success or did similar problems emerge? I find it difficult to fathom that this cable is somehow unobliging in this combination, but Peter acknowledged this as a point of concern. It should be noted that I have tried four usb cables in lieu of the "lush"  -- a Revelation Audio Labs (RAL) Reference USB Cable (the fussiest I've ever owned),  a Synergistic Research USB Active SE,  an Uptone USPCB, and lastly a run of the mill 6 inch (15.24 cm) USB cable; included with some component or other. They each performed matter-of-factly and without controversy. 

In an effort to be comprehensive, the gear used is as follows: BPT 3.5 Signature > Macbook Pro > DLink Switch (SOTM Modified)> sMS-200 Ultra (LPS-1) > tXUSBultra (LPS-1) > TotalDac D1 Dual/Lampizator Gen. 5 LV. 5 > ECBA (Eddie Current Balancing Act) > Focal Utopia 

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

On a side note, I would like to share some observations on the SOTM trifecta, which perhaps will be of some guidance to someone out there sitting on the fence. Prior to the arrival of the SOTM gear, I was rather happily using an MRendu > Offramp 5 via i2s > Lampizator Gen. 5 Level 5 custom-fitted with an RJ-45 interface.

In the interest of being concise, my comparative remarks will be more of the broad and sweeping variety, rather than expounding on the various shades, penumbra and minutiae that most of our ears are tuned for. When I received the SMS-200 Ultra & txUSBUltra, I was not, let us say, afflicted or affected by an an immediate and unforeseen enrichment of my system. I did not forsake food or renounce sleep and "rediscover" my heretofore collection of music. Perhaps the sound was improved, but the word "different" came more readily to mind. Where the staging and locality improved and the layers of detail more readily apparent, an intimacy was gone and so too a brute power that can only be called an addicting directness. The sound was thicker, blunter and more candid or straightforward in the previous setup. 

I was astonished to discover, several days later, that it was not until the addition of the switch that the SOTM gear really began to hit its stride and outpace the Mrendu > Offramp (i2s) combination. I've not fully come to terms yet with this trifecta, for it has not been long enough, but as to improvement the answer is no longer illusory. It's better and perhaps considerably better. To what extent I'll discover in time; but I should not be surprised if I come to forsake my dinners and renounce my sleep in the coming days. 

I am using the Lush cable between my sms200Ultra and Singxer SU-1. And yes, there were (and still are from time to time) some intermittent pops and clicks, but they seem to appear randomly. I restarted my PC, the sms200Ultra, the DAC and the Singxer several times, I also changed the resync delay settings in Roon and Eunhasu. It works better now, but there definitely exists some kind of an issue which appears occasionally. I never had the problem with Curious USB in the same configuration, but then again I think it has to do with the new SOTM firmware (v 4.0 or something). I think the pops and clicks started to appear after I updated the firmware several days ago.