IGNORED

A novel way to massively improve the SQ of computer audio streaming

Message added by The Computer Audiophile

Important and useful information about this thread

Posting guidelines

History and index of useful posts

Most important: please realize this thread is about bleeding edge experimentation and discovery. No one has The Answer™. If you are not into tweaking, just know that you can have a musically satisfying system without doing any of the nutty things we do here.

1 hour ago, austinpop said:

BTW - is anyone else going to be at RMAF? I am going, and I know Eric @limniscate is as well.

I'm going.  Hopefully I can catch up to you guys and personally thank you both for your great reports in this thread.

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Amp & Speakers:  Spectral DMA-150mk2 > Aerial 10T

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

50 minutes ago, sadekkhalifa said:

Can i say they will release (SOTM) a master clock ;)

2 minutes ago, mozes said:

The SOTM master clock will be especially interesting as they developed the SCLK-EX clock so they know what they are doing!

Guys - as far I know, they will only be bringing a prototype, which will be fun to hear. No idea about "release" or "announce," although RMAF is still 2 months away.

On 7/29/2017 at 7:36 PM, Superdad said:

How about you buy one and tell us how it sounds?  I hear that banks are happily giving second home loans to reckless audiophiles these days...  x-D

But Alex, you get 5% off if you buy 2 and 10% off if you buy 4. I think it would match up well with a Schiit Audio based system. Throw in a pair of ELAC speakers and you're good to go!

2 hours ago, austinpop said:

Has anyone else gotten Ultra chains going, or reference clocks, or any other updates? The thread has gone quiet of late!

I guess we are now waiting for some monumental findings from @romaz and @Bamber once their mods and Ref 10's etc are all in place, burned in, and they've had a chance to form some impressions. Although I do know one or two other folks who've told me via PM that they've gotten trifecta's. 

Roy had an interesting post in the Mutec10 thread.   Sounds like his direct USB streaming system is giving him the best SQ yet.  This would include a reclocked mobo, sotm component,  all using the Mutec 10.  

On these last findings, along with others findings, I decided to go for my previous plan of reclocking my NUC and sotm pcie card with the sclk ex.  I will have added the master clock input to the sclk ex for future upgrade.  I also will leave one clock set for a possible diy of the iso regen clock replacement. 

As far as usb cables, I am not a supporter of trying to color the sound.  Neutrality is my goal and the USPCB seems to fullfill that endeavor.  Let alone the price is right.

I hope the SOtM Sclk ex boosts my SQ sound stage as others have found and shall report back on those findings once implemented.

(JRiver) Jetway barebones NUC (mod 3 sCLK-EX, Cybershaft OP 14)  (PH SR7) => mini pcie adapter to PCIe 1X => tXUSBexp PCIe card (mod sCLK-EX) (PH SR7) => (USPCB) Chord DAVE => Omega Super 8XRS/REL t5i  (All powered thru Topaz Isolation Transformer)

1 minute ago, ElviaCaprice said:

Roy had an interesting post in the Mutec10 thread.   Sounds like his direct USB streaming system is giving him the best SQ yet.  This would include a reclocked mobo, sotm component,  all using the Mutec 10.  

On these last findings, along with others findings, I decided to go for my previous plan of reclocking my NUC and sotm pcie card with the sclk ex.  I will have added the master clock input to the sclk ex for future upgrade.  I also will leave one clock set for a possible diy of the iso regen clock replacement. 

As far as usb cables, I am not a supporter of trying to color the sound.  Neutrality is my goal and the USPCB seems to fullfill that endeavor.  Let alone the price is right.

I hope the SOtM Sclk ex boosts my SQ sound stage as others have found and shall report back on those findings once implemented.

Indeed! Please do.

I have posted this under the Lush topic in the general forum.

"I played around with the placement of the Lush and prefer it before the IsoReg.  However I am not using a direct USB to Dac but through a DDC (Sotm dX).  My component flow : Direct bridged connection (PC) - clocked switch - sMS-200(U) - Lush - IsoReg (Iso ON) - USPCB (5v off) - Sotm dX(U) - DAC.  All the intermediate components powered by LPS 1.  With this placement the sound is more holographic with better air and image placement."

I believe the benefits of the Iso regen esp the isolation is more evident in this placement.  The music is also quieter and more refine. The effect of the replacement of the audioquest USB cable with the Lush resulted in a more fluid (better flow), musical and less edgy presentation.  Please note that I am not using a direct USB to DAC connection.

The comments above was comparing the placement of the Lush after and before the IsoRegen and USPCB and why I prefer it placed before the IS and USPCB.

I also managed to compare the Lush placed before the IS & USPCB with 2 USPCB before and after the IsoRegen.  The sound of 2 USPCB seems to be a bit hollower with less flesh but quieter.  I still prefer the musicality of the Lush before the IS.  I am not sure whether this is system dependent.

A new review of the sms-200ultra and sps-500

https://www.audiostream.com/content/sotm-sms-200ultra-mini-network-player-and-sps-500-power-supply

I'm working on improving my power supplies in the mean time I purchased a sps-500 to tide me over.

I wanted to compare the sps-500 to the LPS-1s so I purchased another secondhand LPS-1 so I could wire 2 in series to get 12V.

I've been testing both these to power a tx-USBultra (12v).  There isn't much between them but so far I prefer the sps-500 as it helped to bring out more bass detail in my setup.  It just seems to add more weight to the presentation without losing any detail.

SOtM told me that the 12v ultra units can be run at 9v by making adjustments inside.  All stages of filtering on the sCLK-EX will still be active at 9v so I will be trying that once I receive the instructions from their engineer.

SOtM sMS-200ultra (12v, silver internal DC cable, 75Ω external clock input),

SOtM tX-USBultra (12v, silver internal DC cable, 75Ω external clock input),

Singxer SU-1 (7v SOtM sCLK-EX, silver internal DC cable, 75Ω external clock input),

W4S DAC2v2 SE (SOtM sCLK-EX silver internal DC cable, 75Ω external clock input),

Mutec REF 10, Bryston BP6, Trinnov Altitude 32, 9 x Bryston 7B³s, B&W 800D3s, B&W HTM1 D3, 2 x Arendal Sub 3,

SOtM dCBL-CAT7 (ISO-CAT6 SE), SOtM eABS-200 installed on all components, JCAT NET Card FEMTO, mRendu, dCS Rossini DAC, Chord Hugo 2, Schitt Yggy, Chord Qutest (ordered for home office), UpTone ISO Regen, 5 x UpTone LPS-1s, 4 x PH SR4s, 5 x UpTone LPS-1.2s

2 hours ago, Bamber said:

https://www.audiostream.com/content/sotm-sms-200ultra-mini-network-player-and-sps-500-power-supply

I'm working on improving my power supplies in the mean time I purchased a sps-500 to tide me over.

I wanted to compare the sps-500 to the LPS-1s so I purchased another secondhand LPS-1 so I could wire 2 in series to get 12V.

I've been testing both these to power a tx-USBultra (12v).  There isn't much between them but so far I prefer the sps-500 as it helped to bring out more bass detail in my setup.  It just seems to add more weight to the presentation without losing any detail.

SOtM told me that the 12v ultra units can be run at 9v by making adjustments inside.  All stages of filtering on the sCLK-EX will still be active at 9v so I will be trying that once I receive the instructions from their engineer.

That review certainly matches the findings on this thread. It's too bad they didn't think to try an sCLK-EX modded switch.

Thanks for update! The sPS-500 is sounding like a winner. I guess it was only a matter of time before an audiophile SMPS would be going head to head with the best LPSes out there.

2 hours ago, Bamber said:

Nice comparison.  But I wouldn't rule out that the LPS-1 beats the sps-500, as 2 LPS-1's in a series would raise the impedance level of the output.  I'm looking forward to the Paul Hynes SR7 @ 12V, any day now??

(JRiver) Jetway barebones NUC (mod 3 sCLK-EX, Cybershaft OP 14)  (PH SR7) => mini pcie adapter to PCIe 1X => tXUSBexp PCIe card (mod sCLK-EX) (PH SR7) => (USPCB) Chord DAVE => Omega Super 8XRS/REL t5i  (All powered thru Topaz Isolation Transformer)

3 minutes ago, austinpop said:

It's too bad they didn't think to try an sCLK-EX modded switch.

The reviewers probably avoid it for now as you know someone will write a comment about packet buffers etc.

14 minutes ago, austinpop said:

The sPS-500 is sounding like a winner.

It even sounded good with a Y cable powering a NUC and the tx-USBultra together.  I wouldn't use it like this but it does sound good.

Singxer SU-1 (7v SOtM sCLK-EX, silver internal DC cable, 75Ω external clock input),

W4S DAC2v2 SE (SOtM sCLK-EX silver internal DC cable, 75Ω external clock input),

Mutec REF 10, Bryston BP6, Trinnov Altitude 32, 9 x Bryston 7B³s, B&W 800D3s, B&W HTM1 D3, 2 x Arendal Sub 3,

SOtM dCBL-CAT7 (ISO-CAT6 SE), SOtM eABS-200 installed on all components, JCAT NET Card FEMTO, mRendu, dCS Rossini DAC, Chord Hugo 2, Schitt Yggy, Chord Qutest (ordered for home office), UpTone ISO Regen, 5 x UpTone LPS-1s, 4 x PH SR4s, 5 x UpTone LPS-1.2s

11 minutes ago, ElviaCaprice said:

But I wouldn't rule out that the LPS-1 beats the sps-500, as 2 LPS-1's in a series would raise the impedance level of the output

I know, this was the only way I could test the LPS-1s with 12v ultras.  It would still be a reference point for anyone that has tested a similar setup.

13 minutes ago, ElviaCaprice said:

I'm looking forward to the Paul Hynes SR7 @ 12V, any day now??

I'm looking forward to reading your impressions as I hope to try SR7s.

4 minutes ago, mozes said:

Great one more PSU to join the top league of PSUs, more choices at reasonable budgets

I have only used reasonable priced power supplies so far.

Reading the reviews on this forum it's only a matter of time before I can't resist a Vinnie Rossi or Paul Hynes.  Maybe UpTone will release a more powerful UltraCap that would be on my list too :)

Hi all, i am in doubt what to do with the clocking of my audio computer built.

I liked the sotm clk-ex  idea of synced clock outputs and that it is probably better then a crystek 575. 

But what about the pulsar clock , that clock is much much better. 

If i buy the sotm clock with 2 outputs active it will cost me 750 dolllar. Sending it to Europa plus tax it will cost me 850 euro.

Two pulsar clocks will cost me 863 euro.

Well i need 3 clocks for my built so the sotm will cost me 900euro.

The alternative is a crystek 575 for the first clock and than the mobo and usb hub with pulsar clocks. mmmmm what to do???

Which one would have the better SQ? Sync, no sync?

Meitner ma1 v2 dac,  Sovereign preamp and power amp,

DIY speakers, scan speak illuminator.

Raal Requisite VM-1a -> SR-1a with Accurate Sound convolution.

Under development:

NUC7i7dnbe, Euphony Stylus, Qobuz.

Modded Buffalo-fiber-EtherRegen, DC3- Isoregen, Lush^2

15 minutes ago, austinpop said:

Since my USB chain consists of: sMS-200 Ultra-modded > ISO-Regen > tX-USBultra > Ayre Codex DAC, I have need for 3 USB connectors.

15 minutes ago, austinpop said:

... focusing instead on KISS (keep it simple, stupid)...

Yep, I can see how that's KISS in action :)

Mani.

Main: SOtM sMS-200 -> Okto dac8PRO -> 6x Neurochrome 286 mono amps -> Tune Audio Anima horns + 2x Rotel RB-1590 amps -> 4 subs

Home Office: SOtM sMS-200 -> MOTU UltraLite-mk5 -> 6x Neurochrome 286 mono amps -> Impulse H2 speakers

Vinyl: Technics SP10 / London (Decca) Reference -> Trafomatic Luna -> RME ADI-2 Pro

24 minutes ago, austinpop said:

Last night, I did a first comparison of the Lush USB cable in my system. It had been burning in for about 70 hours, so I deemed it ready for a first listen.

Since my USB chain consists of: sMS-200 Ultra-modded > ISO-Regen > tX-USBultra > Ayre Codex DAC, I have need for 3 USB connectors. Currently I use the following USB connector sequence:

• Curious 0.2m: sMS-200 to ISO-Regen
  • USPCB: ISO-Regen to tX-USBultra.
    • Note: this is the closest I could get the USPCB to my DAC, as the geometry of the Codex and the tX-USBultra do not permit the use of a short adapter.
    • I'll soon have a 90º USPCB, so I will see if I can manage something. It'll be a tight fit. Size matters with a hard adapter. Um, wait... :D
  • Curious 0.2m: tX-USBultra to Codex

For the Lush listening impressions, I replaced the Curious 0.2m: tX-USBultra to Codex with Lush 0.7m: tX-USBultra to Codex. I'm aware there are other placements of the Lush cable further upstream, but I haven't tried any, focusing instead on KISS (keep it simple, stupid): i.e. the USB cable feeding the DAC should matter the most. I'm sure I'll get around to more experiments eventually.

Listening Impressions

I often shake my head when I read cable reviews. The rhapsody and hyperbole with which people sometimes define the difference between A and B makes you think a seismic shift is happening. Well, not for me. I find cable differences to be audible, yes, but usually subtle. This was no exception.

The Lush cable improved on what was already the best SQ I'd ever enjoyed in my setup. Going back and forth between the Curious and the Lush, I was reminded of what the Curious had brought when I first deployed it. The Lush just added more of the same. Improvements I heard with the Lush:

1. More dimensionality to instruments. The creaks of chairs and instruments. Bows on strings sounding more like bows. That kind of thing.
  2. Longer decays in quiet passages, especially with French horns. Like the beginning of the 3rd movement in Mahler's 5th, or the beginning of Sebelius's 2nd symphonies.
  3. More holographic imaging - especially noticeable on voices - like the soloists in Haydn's Creation.
  4. An even further increase in smoothness, or a reduction of glare or harshness.

Again, I read the above, and feel like the it paints a really bad picture of the "before" configuration. Nothing could be further from the truth. It sounded wonderful already. It just improved.

To put this in perspective of cost/benefit. I paid close to $290 for the Lush after all the shipping, PayPal, and currency conversion, which is comparable to the cost of an ISO-Regen. The incremental improvement due to the ISO-Regen was far greater than that due to the Lush cable.

Yet the Lush cable did add an improvement. Is it worth the price? It depends on your system, your perception, a lot of things. For me, I'm keeping the Lush.

Thank you for this review.

I am expecting delivery of the Lush cable which is supposed to replace the Curious link between my sms200Ultra and Singxer SU-1. I bought it not because I expect some major improvements over the Curious, but because the Curious link is too short for my setup, and the 1m Lush is still cheaper than the 1m Curious.

I hope the Lush is at least equal in performance to the Curious. Will be putting my Curious link up for sale.