IGNORED

A novel way to massively improve the SQ of computer audio streaming

Message added by The Computer Audiophile

Important and useful information about this thread

Posting guidelines

History and index of useful posts

Most important: please realize this thread is about bleeding edge experimentation and discovery. No one has The Answer™. If you are not into tweaking, just know that you can have a musically satisfying system without doing any of the nutty things we do here.

3 minutes ago, auricgoldfinger said:

Metallurgy (including purity) and aggregate AWG matter.  ?

Matter for what??

(JRiver) Jetway barebones NUC (mod 3 sCLK-EX, Cybershaft OP 14)  (PH SR7) => mini pcie adapter to PCIe 1X => tXUSBexp PCIe card (mod sCLK-EX) (PH SR7) => (USPCB) Chord DAVE => Omega Super 8XRS/REL t5i  (All powered thru Topaz Isolation Transformer)

6 minutes ago, austinpop said:

I did some quick comparisons last night between it and my reference - JSSG 360'd Audio Sensibility 7N UPOCC silver cable. Please note - since this was on my switch, I used Tidal streamed music to do the comparison.

How does the ZENith play Tidal in Roon does it buffer the song? My NUC with ROCK buffers the whole song when I hit play on a Tidal song so I can remove the LAN cable from my router and the song contuinous to play until the end.

Main system
TAD D1000mk2, TAD M2500mk2, TAD CE-1, Ansuz Mainz 8 C2, Ansuz Darkz D-TC, 
Qobuz Studio -> Roon ROCK on NUC -> Uptone etherREGEN -> dCS Network Bridge -> AES/EBU -> DAC
HD Plex 200W PSU (4 rail for ISP fiber, router, etherREGEN and NUC)

Second system
Qobuz Studio -> Devialet Silver Phantom, Devialet Tree
12 minutes ago, auricgoldfinger said:

Overall sound quality.

Does you DC power chord feed your stream directly to your DAC?  I think one needs to step back and think thru the whole picture of what exactly this small factor brings to the full system picture.  RF noise, yes, can be a big factor, thus shielding.  Gauge, yes on a small level for impedance, length more so.  Metallurgy, above basic copper, not so much, very tiny factor if any for impedance, or worse more noise.  

But in the end, it's how it performs for you!!

(JRiver) Jetway barebones NUC (mod 3 sCLK-EX, Cybershaft OP 14)  (PH SR7) => mini pcie adapter to PCIe 1X => tXUSBexp PCIe card (mod sCLK-EX) (PH SR7) => (USPCB) Chord DAVE => Omega Super 8XRS/REL t5i  (All powered thru Topaz Isolation Transformer)

Just now, austinpop said:

No it does not buffer the song.

Ok, so the playback stops directly if you remove the LAN cable?

Main system
Qobuz Studio -> Roon ROCK on NUC -> Uptone etherREGEN -> dCS Network Bridge -> AES/EBU -> DAC

Second system
Just now, austinpop said:

No it does not buffer the song.

Ok, so the playback of Tidal stops directly if you remove the LAN cable?

Main system

Second system
5 minutes ago, auricgoldfinger said:

For starters, a master reference clock, several endpoints, and a modified switch.

I think you missed my point.  No big deal.  Your original points we're correct.  I just like to digress into overall system vision.

35 minutes ago, austinpop said:

Second, I don't know if the Gotham has had any burn in at all. @Blake?

I'll let the Ghent Gotham cable burn in for the next couple days, and retry the test. Stay tuned.

It had about one week of "power on" time before I sent it to you.

Speaker Room: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Pacific 2 | Viva Linea | Constellation Inspiration Stereo 1.0 | FinkTeam Kim | dual Rythmik E15HP subs  

Office Headphone System: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Golden Gate 3 | Viva Egoista | Abyss AB1266 Phi TC 

57 minutes ago, austinpop said:

Blake's Ghent cable is 1m long, while my AS cable is only 0.3m.

That is a bigger factor.  Far more than metallurgy in my opinion.

5 minutes ago, austinpop said:

Like many of you, this is counter to my past experience with the use of silver in the analog realm, where I always found silver to sound too bright, while good quality copper had a more pleasing warmer and smoother palette.

I wonder if this is because we come to expect analog to be warmer and when it's not we think something's wrong.  I recently picked up some silver Double Helix XLR cables and am currently using them from my phonostage to preamp.  I notice less warmth but an increase in clarity.  Considering vinyl is warm or smooth sounding, the additional clarity is a positive imo.  Sometimes balancing our perceived warmth is a good thing, same as in digital balancing out the cold brightness with some warmth can be a good thing.

22 minutes ago, austinpop said:

Just based on my empirical experience with cable metallurgy, I have to disagree with you there. This is not the first time I have found UPOCC silver to be beneficial to digital components: I heard the same with the Habst clock cable. Like many of you, this is counter to my past experience with the use of silver in the analog realm, where I always found silver to sound too bright, while good quality copper had a more pleasing warmer and smoother palette.

What I have learned with JSSG 360, and why I like it so much, is that it is additive. It does not remove the differences between cables, so you should still find the best-sounding cables for your ears and budget. Then use JSSG 360 for a further improvement.

Yes, silver is a better conductor.  But at what gauge does copper become better to a comparable silver?  Then throw in star quad for the copper.  So at what gauge does copper star quad become a better conductor with lower impedance/inductance? 

9 minutes ago, Johnseye said:

I wonder if this is because we come to expect analog to be warmer and when it's not we think something's wrong.  I recently picked up some silver Double Helix XLR cables and am currently using them from my phonostage to preamp.  I notice less warmth but an increase in clarity.  Considering vinyl is warm or smooth sounding, the additional clarity is a positive imo.  Sometimes balancing our perceived warmth is a good thing, same as in digital balancing out the cold brightness with some warmth can be a good thing.

Remember, Rob Watts cautions that a perceived clarity could just be increased RF that give the edges more clarity.  Silver is a better conductor and that would also mean a better antennae of RF noise.

But I'm sure your ears are trained and trusted.  Just playing devils advocate. ?

5 minutes ago, Johnseye said:

Yes, ultimately it's about your system's synergy, and your ears. There are no right answers.

26 minutes ago, austinpop said:

I tried a test with a Tidal track of length ~20 minutes. About 10 seconds into playback, I pulled the LAN cable from the switch. The music continued playback for about 5 mins before finally stopping. This interval depends on many things - the speed of the network, the logic of Roon's system calls, the tuning of the FS cache in the OS. I must say, I was surprised that the cache was so deep (5 mins).

However, let's not get sidetracked from the fact the experiment I was trying was comparing DC cables in a known location in the system.

Perhaps a side track but did the music sound different during the 5 minutes it was playing without the LAN cable connected compared to when it was connected?

Main system

Second system