IGNORED

Power supplies and cables - observations, considerations & commentary

just got the Sonore Signature PSU to run with the microRendu. Bought the fuse upgrade and the recommended power cord. I immediately heard improvements in depth of sound over the iFi PSU.

But overall have been disappointed so far. Maybe it needs to burn in, but despite the increased resolution, added depth and some nice audio effects, I am finding it very uninvolving and harsh. I find myself listening to music less than with the iFi or the Aurender N100 I had previously. Where I thought the PSU would reduce some of the harshness and vocal distortion I heard with the iFi, it has made it worse. I am turning down the volume and watching more TV. Van Morrisons voice repeatedly crackles on high notes where it didn't before. The DSD of Elton Johns Tumbleweed Connection, which I had previously found to be an excellent recording and totally engaging, is now harsh and uninvolving.

Maybe I'm doing something wrong, or don't know what I'm doing, which is quite possible, but so far the microRendu and the Sonore PSU so far are a big disappointment.

My system: Audience power conditioner with a WireWorld Silver Eclipse 7 going into a CablePro Revelation power strip with all the bells and whistles, an Audioquest Vodka Ethernet cable between a sonic transporter Roon Server and the microRendu and a Curious USB cable connecting the microRendu and a Bricasti M1SE DAC. WireWorld Silver Eclipse RCAs between the M1 and an ATC CA2 preamp, and Nordoest Fry 2 XLR interconnects between the preamp and ATC powered studio 20s II. The DAC power cord is a WireWorld silver eclipse 7 and is connected directly to the power conditioner. I'm using AudioArt Classic 1 power cords for the preamp and speakers. All components, including the sonicTransporter are connected to the CablePro power strip. I'm using a Synology 216se NAS as the source and it is connected to a different circuit.

any suggestions are appreciated. I'm tempted to upgrade the ca2 to a tube preamp, but I'm reticent to invest any more money in this.. It's a shame, but I am enjoying music less than when I had a Linn Majik DSM connected to Paradigm Studio 20s.

hmmm, to me.... Rendu doing great job with ifi PSU, not as clean sound but the dynamic, sound stage are all great. As the sonore PSU (with fuse upgraded) are just received and i believe it required burn in ( i hope my guess is correct ).

You have lot of nice cable there. But it seem that you connect everything to power conditioner, could it be your system required more power than what your power conditioner can do?

just got the Sonore Signature PSU to run with the microRendu. Bought the fuse upgrade and the recommended power cord. I immediately heard improvements in depth of sound over the iFi PSU.

But overall have been disappointed so far. Maybe it needs to burn in, but despite the increased resolution, added depth and some nice audio effects, I am finding it very uninvolving and harsh. I find myself listening to music less than with the iFi or the Aurender N100 I had previously. Where I thought the PSU would reduce some of the harshness and vocal distortion I heard with the iFi, it has made it worse. I am turning down the volume and watching more TV. Van Morrisons voice repeatedly crackles on high notes where it didn't before. The DSD of Elton Johns Tumbleweed Connection, which I had previously found to be an excellent recording and totally engaging, is now harsh and uninvolving.

Maybe I'm doing something wrong, or don't know what I'm doing, which is quite possible, but so far the microRendu and the Sonore PSU so far are a big disappointment.

My system: Audience power conditioner with a WireWorld Silver Eclipse 7 going into a CablePro Revelation power strip with all the bells and whistles, an Audioquest Vodka Ethernet cable between a sonic transporter Roon Server and the microRendu and a Curious USB cable connecting the microRendu and a Bricasti M1SE DAC. WireWorld Silver Eclipse RCAs between the M1 and an ATC CA2 preamp, and Nordoest Fry 2 XLR interconnects between the preamp and ATC powered studio 20s II. The DAC power cord is a WireWorld silver eclipse 7 and is connected directly to the power conditioner. I'm using AudioArt Classic 1 power cords for the preamp and speakers. All components, including the sonicTransporter are connected to the CablePro power strip. I'm using a Synology 216se NAS as the source and it is connected to a different circuit.

any suggestions are appreciated. I'm tempted to upgrade the ca2 to a tube preamp, but I'm reticent to invest any more money in this.. It's a shame, but I am enjoying music less than when I had a Linn Majik DSM connected to Paradigm Studio 20s.

What happens if you do not use Roon and use Kinsky/Lumin controller to control NAS and mRendu directly for playback??

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

What happens if you do not use Roon and use Kinsky/Lumin controller to control NAS and mRendu directly for playback??

Thanks for your suggestion, Dave. I haven't tried that with the Sonore PSU. I did it with the iFi and for some reason the Roon sounded better, perhaps because it was running on the sonicTransporter which has more horsepower than the NAS, which was running minimserver. But I'll give it a shot. However, I just did two things which have helped and things are sounding better. I connected the PSU directly to the Audience power conditioner and moved the DAC to the power strip. I figured the microRendu is earlier in the chain, and I heard the Bricasti isn't supposed to be as sensitive to power sources as other DACs. I also moved the sonicTransporter off the power strip, thinking there might be some backwash. The system is definitely improved. Perhaps with a little burn in it will sound even better. I'm going to try your suggestion as well.

"The DSD of Elton Johns Tumbleweed Connection, which I had previously found to be an excellent recording and totally engaging, is now harsh and uninvolving."

Something isn't right, that's for sure. A few cuts from this album (DSD rip) are also part of my reference playlist.

Curious to hear your thoughts after a couple of hundred hours are on the unit.

Also, I find the following to most often be the case: You can't change just one thing in a well "balanced" SYSTEM without having to go back and rebalance it. Takes some work, but that's how you end up better and farther down the line.

Good Luck.

Thanks for the advice. Things are sounding better now that I've made a few changes. I changed a few things at once, but I wouldn't be surprised if I was getting backwash into the power strip from the sonicTransporter, which after all is basically a Linux box. The PSU still needs to burn in as well. I'll report back a hundred fifty hours down the line.

Hi jtrelin! Be careful with the tube preamp since you have a really transparent path including the powered monitors. The tube preamp most likely will blur everything and make it sound dirty.

MacBook Pro + Roon > Airport Extreme > microRendu + mbps-d2s > Auralic Vega > McIntosh MC275 > Yamaha NS-2000

Wired with: High Fidelity CT-1 Enhanced RCA, Revelation Audio Labs, Fadel Art Coherence PC

Hi jtrelin! Be careful with the tube preamp since you have a really transparent path including the powered monitors. The tube preamp most likely will blur everything and make it sound dirty.

Thank you very much for the advice. I'm not making any changes for a while and I'll definitely audition anything I'm considering going forward.

Is there anything I can do to help?

I truly appreciate the offer, Jesus. Things are sounding much better. I removed the sonicTransporter from the CablePro power strip and plugged the PSU directly into the Audience power conditioner and the sound is significantly improved. Maybe there was backwash from the sonicTransporter? Plus the PSU still needs to break-in. I'm enjoying what I'm listening to this morning. I'll report back as the unit breaks in. But thank you again.

''

Probably the ST. I tried plugging my microVortexbox from Small Green into the same outlet as the HDPLEX powering my rendu, and the sound did get harsher. It got less harsh but more closed in powering both the rendu and the VB from the HD - just not enough juice for both. I now have my VB on a different circuit like I did before and powered with a 'cheap' HK linear power supply. Big difference, and the rendu is now on it's own dedicated circuit. Keep those computers out of the audio room or put a linear power supply on them! Best of luck!

SERVER CLOSET (in office directly below living room stereo):NUC 7i5BNH with Roon ROCK (ZeroZone 12V on the NUC)>Cisco 2690L-16PS switch>Sonore opticalModule (Uptone LPS 1.2)>

LIVING ROOM: Sonore opticalRendu Roon version (Sonore Power Supply)> Shunyata Venom USB>Naim DAC V1>Witchhat DIN>Naim NAP 160 Bolt Down>Chord Rumor 2>Audio Physic Compact Classics. OFFICE: opticalModule> Sonore microRendu 1.4> Matrix Mini-i Pro 3> Naim NAP 110>NACA5>KEF Ls50's. BJC 6a and Ghent Catsnake 6a JSSG ethernet; AC cables: Shunyata Venom NR V-10; Audience Forte F3; Ice Age copper/copper; Sean Jacobs CHC PowerBlack, Moon Audio DIN>RCA, USB A>C. Isolation: Herbie's Audio Lab. 

As you note increased resolution and depth (increased depth only comes from increased resolution and a lower noise floor), it appears that the µRendu is performing technically better. My feeling is that you need to address something else in your system. It is not that unusual to make a change to a system, which increases resolution, only to find that the increased resolution has unearthed a problem that one could not hear before. The more resolution one has, the more the system will be able to reveal problems. Have you tried going direct from the Bricasti to the amp via XLR this would eliminate your single ended connection...

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

As you note increased resolution and depth (increased depth only comes from increased resolution and a lower noise floor), it appears that the µRendu is performing technically better. My feeling is that you need to address something else in your system. It is not that unusual to make a change to a system, which increases resolution, only to find that the increased resolution has unearthed a problem that one could not hear before. The more resolution one has, the more the system will be able to reveal problems. Have you tried going direct from the Bricasti to the amp via XLR this would eliminate your single ended connection...

Thank you. I think you're right, but finding the problem is the issue. It is sounding much better now that I've removed the ST from the power strip, but it's still slightly harsh. I tried using the Bricasti as a preamp a while ago, but it sounded lean. I'll try it again. The powered ATCs require an active preamp, I assume the Bricasti is passive.

i am using the microrendu and IFi power supply with a Schiit Yggy DAC. The output SQ is extremely nice. however, the unit gets very hot. too hot to touch for very long. I now keep it unplugged when not in use. Is this because of how the Schiit DAC handles it or something else? I am thinking about another power supply. Any thoughts? thanks

i am using the microrendu and IFi power supply with a Schiit Yggy DAC. The output SQ is extremely nice. however, the unit gets very hot. too hot to touch for very long. I now keep it unplugged when not in use. Is this because of how the Schiit DAC handles it or something else? I am thinking about another power supply. Any thoughts? thanks

I assume the iFi power supply must be the 9V one. How much heat the microRendu has to dissipate will be related both to its having to regulate the supplied 9V down and to how much current the Yggy's USB input pulls.

If you replace the 9V iFi with a 7V power supply, heat generated in the microRendu will decrease dramatically, and I recommend that as a long-term fix. Per a hint from (I'm pretty sure) JohnSwenson either in this thread or another, orienting the microRendu so it's propped on its side instead of sitting flat can help a lot with heat dissipation - and it's something you can do immediately, before ordering and waiting for a 7V power supply.

• 2 weeks later...
Tried the iFi iPower again today. This time I plugged it into my Blue Circle power conditioner.... Zowee! Think the iPower may be staying in place until the coming of the Mystery PSU. Sounding REALLY nice - at least as good as the Aries>Regen chain , IME ... and the best is yet to come. :D

I am using an Aries>Regen too. Did you ultimately find the microRendu ultimately much better than the sound of the Aries combo. Or is it still at least as good?

Auralic Aries, dCS Vivaldi and clock, soulution 711, Magico Q3, Synergistic Research and Shunyata power, MIT MA-X interconnects and speaker cables.

quote_icon.png Originally Posted by theppd viewpost-right.png Hi jtrelin! Be careful with the tube preamp since you have a really transparent path including the powered monitors. The tube preamp most likely will blur everything and make it sound dirty.

Thank you very much for the advice. I'm not making any changes for a while and I'll definitely audition anything I'm considering going forward.

Pay no attention to him. He clearly knows little to nothing about audio to have made that statement. Any decent quality or better tubed preamp will only add to the quality of overall sound in your system. A high proportion of the world's finest high end systems make use of tubed preamps and power amps.

quote_icon.png Originally Posted by theppd viewpost-right.png Hi jtrelin! Be careful with the tube preamp since you have a really transparent path including the powered monitors. The tube preamp most likely will blur everything and make it sound dirty.

Pay no attention to him. He clearly knows little to nothing about audio to have made that statement. Any decent quality or better tubed preamp will only add to the quality of overall sound in your system. A high proportion of the world's finest high end systems make use of tubed preamps and power amps.

Yes, you know everything obviously.

What I know is when I've tied to incorporate the tube pre from Quad, my monitors (Focal Twin 6BE) threw avery bit of distortion and dirt which tube amp had. But whatever since you decided that I know nothing about audio.

MacBook Pro + Roon > Airport Extreme > microRendu + mbps-d2s > Auralic Vega > McIntosh MC275 > Yamaha NS-2000

Wired with: High Fidelity CT-1 Enhanced RCA, Revelation Audio Labs, Fadel Art Coherence PC

OK - My first post on CA so go easy on me! In fact, I did l did look around for a newbies intro thread or similar but could not find anything! So I'll just have to do it here. Firstly tho say thanks to the forum and it's members, I have been lurking here as a guest and the information I have picked up recently has been invaluable, in particular relating to the microRendu and Mutec MCS+USB, so a big thanks to those that have helped me without even knowing it! Oddly enough, I have been aware of CA for a while, and whilst being very impressed with folk building trick twin PC streamers, CAPS servers and so on I always felt this stuff was a step to far for me, I probably had enough computer knowledge and skill to pull it off, but probably only to pull it off badly! I find it curious to think that I now have a kind of pseudo twin PC set up, Ethernet streaming to a microRendu, and this has happened almost by accident. Anyway, enough waffle, I have a question which is on topic here.

I am currently using my microRendu with iFi power. This is running to a Mutec MC3+USB, feeding a Devialet amp via AES/EBU. I have been looking at a replacement for the iFi, so obviously this thread is of great interest. The point is, the mR+Mutec rig is sounding excellent, so I am not thinking that there is a problem with the iFi as such, plus, reading through this thread, there are not really any examples of anyone posting 'I replaced the iFi with PSU XXX and it was a clear step up in sound quality'. So I am dithering as to what to do. It is worth mentioning that as I am UK based the various options as listed on Sonore's website are of limited interest. After all, why ship a PSU from the US, have hassle with customs etc., when there are many 'local' options to choose from, the £/$ exchange rate post Brexit does not help either! So I have been looking at a Paul Hynes SR5MR2, which would also be able to provide clean power to the associated Ethernet switch, so a neat solution for about £800. But reading through the comments in this thread I am wondering if it is worth it? Also, I have thought of waiting for the Uptone Audio UltraCap LPS-1, which could be powered happily enough from the iFi. To be honest I am dithering! Normally I am quite decisive with these things, but I am not seeing a clear enough indication of the benefits of say the Paul Hynes SR5MR2 to be able to make a clear decision with this one, I don't feel I have the info to decide. Any thoughts or ideas?

Windows 11 PC, Roon, HQPlayer, Focus Fidelity convolutions, iFi Zen Stream, Paul Hynes SR4, Mutec REF10, Mutec MC3+USB, Devialet 1000Pro, KEF Blade.  Plus Pro-Ject Signature 12 TT for playing my 'legacy' vinyl collection. Desktop system; RME ADI-2 DAC fs, Meze Empyrean headphones.

Hi there

I use a uRendu powered by iFi into a BMC PureDAC. About a month ago, as a power upgrade for the uRendu, I ordered a SR3 from Paul Hynes with internal silver wiring and silver power cable upgrades for a total spend of a bit more than £400 with shipping. Paul tells me that it's about to ship so if you give me a week or so I can tell you what impact it has had.

There's also a dude elsewhere on these boards (http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f20-buy-and-sell-audio-and-computer-components/handcrafted-audiophile-linear-power-supply-kenneth-lau-19040/ ) selling custom build LPUs from Hong Kong.

Best

Nikko

Yes, you know everything obviously.

What I know is when I've tied to incorporate the tube pre from Quad,...

That is not much to condemn all tube preamps on. IMHE, having heard hundreds of tube components, most of them sound good or better when matched correctly. QA on current tubes is suspect, old tubes need clean pins. The devil is in the details, but often tube gear is worth the trouble. Start another thread if you really want to go into this topic.

Digital Source: Synology DS415+ NAS  and Small Green Computer SonicTransporter i5 Running Roon Core > Blue Jean Cable Cat6a >TP optical converter > Sonore OpticalRendu with Sonore LPS> Curious USB > Denafrips Pontus DAC

Analog Source: Dynavector XX2 mk2> Audiomods Series 5 silver arm > Sota Nova Series VI turntable w/Condor & Roadrunner motor controller/tachometer > Nagra BPS battery powered phono stage>

Both: BAT VK51SE preamp> Krell FPB300 power amp > Sound Lab A3 ESLs > > Custom room treatment > 50 yr. old ears(left-handed)

Hi there

I use a uRendu powered by iFi into a BMC PureDAC. About a month ago, as a power upgrade for the uRendu, I ordered a SR3 from Paul Hynes with internal silver wiring and silver power cable upgrades for a total spend of a bit more than £400 with shipping. Paul tells me that it's about to ship so if you give me a week or so I can tell you what impact it has had.

There's also a dude elsewhere on these boards (http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f20-buy-and-sell-audio-and-computer-components/handcrafted-audiophile-linear-power-supply-kenneth-lau-19040/ ) selling custom build LPUs from Hong Kong.

Best

Nikko

Thanks Nikko, I will certainly be interested to read your impressions of the Paul Hynes. Although I think it might take more than a week to get a definitive view, I understand the Paul hynes PSU's can take a month to bed in and perform at their optimum.

Windows 11 PC, Roon, HQPlayer, Focus Fidelity convolutions, iFi Zen Stream, Paul Hynes SR4, Mutec REF10, Mutec MC3+USB, Devialet 1000Pro, KEF Blade.  Plus Pro-Ject Signature 12 TT for playing my 'legacy' vinyl collection. Desktop system; RME ADI-2 DAC fs, Meze Empyrean headphones.

First, feeding a mRendu over ethernet isn't a pseudo twin PC setup, it's an advanced one!

Second, in the UK if you want to find some more power supply options, try Mains Cables R Us Hi-Fi & Home Cinema Cables & Accessories - MCRU

I am pretty sure they will make you a custom supply for the mR if you don't find a suitable one on the site.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

Well, I was finding hard to believe I'd somehow cobbled together a pseudo twin PC set-up, now I discover I have an advanced one I fear my head might explode!

Anyway, I had stumbled across MCRU, and they do actually offer a PSU for the microRendu, at a glance it does look like a reasonable bit of kit for the price, as follows:

Linear Power Supply for Sonore microRendu + Sonicorbiter SE - MCRU

This comes in at an extremely reasonable £235. However, this does nicely illustrate my problem. I could go for one of these at £235, I could even get two for £470, and use the second one for the Ethernet switch. Or for £800 I could get the Paul Hynes SR5MR2 which I think is higher spec and would feed both the mR and Ethernet switch. Or I could get something from MCRU for £235 and use it to power the Uptone Audio UltraCap LPS-1. Many options! So what do I want to achieve? Quite simply the best possible sound quality from the mR, so this bit is straight forward. The problem I have is that I have no feel at all for what the mR performance difference will be between iFi, MCRU, Paul Hynes, UltraCap LPS-1, or anything else. I don't have anything tangible with which to make a decision, or even enough general experience with PSU's and this type of kit to make a gut instinct choice. Maybe I'm overthinking this one and I should just flip a coin and buy something! But other than flipping a coin, I have no way of rationalising this one. I guess I am looking for the wise minds out there with some experience of this stuff to gently nudge me the right way.

Well, I was finding hard to believe I'd somehow cobbled together a pseudo twin PC set-up, now I discover I have an advanced one I fear my head might explode!

Anyway, I had stumbled across MCRU, and they do actually offer a PSU for the microRendu, at a glance it does look like a reasonable bit of kit for the price, as follows:

Linear Power Supply for Sonore microRendu + Sonicorbiter SE - MCRU

This comes in at an extremely reasonable £235. However, this does nicely illustrate my problem. I could go for one of these at £235, I could even get two for £470, and use the second one for the Ethernet switch. Or for £800 I could get the Paul Hynes SR5MR2 which I think is higher spec and would feed both the mR and Ethernet switch. Or I could get something from MCRU for £235 and use it to power the Uptone Audio UltraCap LPS-1. Many options! So what do I want to achieve? Quite simply the best possible sound quality from the mR, so this bit is straight forward. The problem I have is that I have no feel at all for what the mR performance difference will be between iFi, MCRU, Paul Hynes, UltraCap LPS-1, or anything else. I don't have anything tangible with which to make a decision, or even enough general experience with PSU's and this type of kit to make a gut instinct choice. Maybe I'm overthinking this one and I should just flip a coin and buy something! But other than flipping a coin, I have no way of rationalising this one. I guess I am looking for the wise minds out there with some experience of this stuff to gently nudge me the right way.

I'm in a very similar place Confused i.e. confused!

I have also looked at the Teddy Pardo offerings which I have good experience of as I use one with my Naim kit. They come in at around £300 including shipping which has beed adversely effected by the weak £.

Having read a number of positive reviews of the MCRU PSU's I'm probably going to go down that route and save my self a few quid. I also intend to seriously consider the Upton UltraCap so I'm going to enquire if the MCRU 7v's can be adjusted to match the required 7.5 - 12v.

Innuos Zenith SE (Roon Core) > Curious USB/Upton ISO REGEN +LPS-1/USPCB> Chord Hugo TT > ATC SCM 40A