IGNORED

Power supplies and cables - observations, considerations & commentary

On 7/23/2017 at 5:03 AM, R1200CL said:

There are very reasonable and high quality solutions available to help you with this ?

IMG_0622.PNG

IMG_0623.PNG

Thank you for the suggestions.

For the price, the Ghent right angle adapter may be fun to try with the right angle adapters on one end. I did buy a Canare-Ghent USB cable for the bedroom system. However, - the DC4 is the 3rd cable that I tried between the LPS-1 and the micro/ultra Rendus and it was significantly better. Cardas wire is recommended by my speaker manufacturer, and I've found that to be well founded in my experimentations. The DC-4 was a significant investment also, - so it's likely that I'll experiment, but also likely that I'll stick with the DC-4 cable.

But thank you for the suggestions: appreciate it.

Cheers,

• 2 weeks later...
On 03/08/2017 at 11:00 AM, Kilauea50 said:

It is not even close - it really isn't.  The uR is just another world sonically.  I have an LPS-1 that was powering it but decided to try John Kenny's ISO-PS which is battery power and the pairing is just fantastic.  I use the Mac as a remote control for Roon (I have a SonicTransporter as my server) but going from the MacMini to uR/LPS-1 to uR/ISO-PS has made a tremendous difference sonically.  That uR is already black and paired with that battery has really upped my audio game so to speak.  

Wow. Just to be clear, are you saying that you found the sound of the ultrarendu powered by John Kenny ISO-PS is clearly superior to LPS-1? This is very notable. Can you please elaborate.

On 3.8.2017 at 3:00 AM, Kilauea50 said:

The uR is just another world sonically.  I have an LPS-1 that was powering it but decided to try John Kenny's ISO-PS which is battery power and the pairing is just fantastic.

That PS is 3,3 V. Did you serial connect the to outputs ?

How long lasts the bareries before rechage ?

5 hours ago, stefan5345 said:

Wow. Just to be clear, are you saying that you found the sound of the ultrarendu powered by John Kenny ISO-PS is clearly superior to LPS-1? This is very notable. Can you please elaborate.

I switched the LPS-1 from powering the uR to powering/charging the ISO-PS battery.  It is a continuous charge and yes, it is absolutely superior sonically to the LPS-1 powering the uR.  I also have the ISO-Dac/ISO-PS combination and the whole setup provides the blackest background I have ever heard and it isn't close.  The whole dynamics of music changed.  I am hearing music and details of music as I never have before.  Ciunas allows a 30 day trial which is what made me decide to try it.  I knew immediately that I would not return it.  Now I have an ISO-Regen to sell too...lol

5 hours ago, R1200CL said:

That PS is 3,3 V. Did you serial connect the to outputs ?

How long lasts the bareries before rechage ?

The battery powering the uR has 2 separate channels at 3.3v each providing 6.6v of power.  John sent me a 5v 4amp power supply to use to power/charge that which of course is connected to the uR.  I think the uR takes a bit more current and this setup works beautifully.  

12 minutes ago, Kilauea50 said:

I switched the LPS-1 from powering the uR to powering/charging the ISO-PS battery.  It is a continuous charge and yes, it is absolutely superior sonically to the LPS-1 powering the uR.

And the cable from ISO-PS is not even a star quad ? ?

What DC cable are you using out from LPS-1.

Changing the one supplied with either what Alex offer, or the similar one will lift the SQ in most cases. 

If you have the supplied DC cable, I suggest you spend either $36 or $70 in a star quad cable with Oyaide plugs. 

On 4.8.2017 at 9:35 PM, genjamon said:

I also just got a USPCB, and that brought the 1.3 to quite another level of performance by removing a previous haze to the sound. 

@genjamon Can you use the USPCB with the ultra? Or will the power and ethernet cables prevent this?

I use a USPCB with my 1.4 mR and like it a lot. If I can't use the USPCB with the ultra I am not sure I'll buy one even if the ultra is better.

1 hour ago, ogs said:

@genjamon Can you use the USPCB with the ultra? Or will the power and ethernet cables prevent this?

I use a USPCB with my 1.4 mR and like it a lot. If I can't use the USPCB with the ultra I am not sure I'll buy one even if the ultra is better.

On 22. juli 2017 at 3:30 PM, Al Jones said:

I managed to connect my UR to my Lyngdorf amp using USPCB. With the USPCB in place, the problem was adapting the LAN cable and DC cable to fit alongside it.

I cut nearly an inch off the clear plastic outer sheath of a Meicord Opal LAN connector. That allowed me to bend the cable almost 90 degrees.

Almost all my DC cables have long plugs and/or rigid outer sheaths that make it impossible to insert them in the available space. The only exception was the Paul Haynes silver DC cable in the photo with a short plug and no sheath.

It can be done.

UR connections.jpg

Al J.

Modem/router + Keces DC-116 12V LPS - SGC Sonic Transporter + Sonore 12V LPS/Edwards Audio ISO-1 mains isolation transformer - Meicord Opal LAN cables - Aqvox Switch + Sbooster 9V LPS/Uptone LPS-1 - Etalon Isolator - Sonore Signature Rendu Special Edition + Mad Scientist Heretical USB data-only cable - Sonore Ultradigital + Uptone LPS-1 - PS Audio I2S-12 cable - HQ Player - Holo Spring Level 3 DAC -  iPeng on iPad 2 - MK Sound 300 monitors - Mad Audio Scientist Tungsten Carbide footers - Niels Larsen NLE speaker cables - Walker Audio Reference Plus HIGH Definition Links - 2 MK Sound MX350 subs - Shakti Stones - Herbie's Super Sonic Stabilizers - Herbie's Tenderfeet - Stillpoints ERS EMI/RFI sheets - Gutwire Ultimate Ground + Entreq Minimus + Silver Minimus grounding boxes - Symposium Rollerblocks - Symposium Ultra platform - Akiko Tuning Sticks

I have been borrowing an Ultra from a friend for the past week.  I was able to connect directly to my Lampizator DAC with a USPCB just fine.  I use a Supra Cat8 ethernet cord, and was able to torque it to bend within the space available.  And my power connector is the cheapo screw terminal type, because I use the DIY DC cable recipe recommended by John Swenson using Canare 4S6 star quad wire.  This wire is very flexible, and easily bends with little need for any extra space clearance beyond the power connector itself.  So, all connections fit pretty well and easily in the space allowed by the USPCB.  I suspect if I had a nice commercial Oyaide connector body DC cable design it might be a different story, but am not sure about that.  

But yeah, the microRendu format is definitely superior for these kinds of direct connections to the DAC.  

DC connection to the UltraRendu is easy and cheap to solve, if your using the USPCB. 

Just apply a 90 degree Oyaide ?

Ethernet may be a challenge for some people, and even a 90 degree Metz won't solve that. You need another one cm or so. 

I don't expect a small USB extender to degrade the SQ, but maybe I'm wrong. 

Probably the cheapest solution, and worth a try for those that have a challenge with cables. That's how I solved my Explorer2 interface. 

The DC4 won't make it as I tested it in a setup with the USPCB's in both ends of a MicroRendu. 

Maybe the USPCB will come in a extended version ?

I just think what a nightmare that will be for Alex to make one, and people asking about all kind of differences in a $35 device. 

Of cause he could leave those problems to Jesus, and let him sell a extended USPCB for UltraRendu ?. (Just not at $35.... ). 

@genjamon @R1200CL Thanks guys. Jesus moved the posts so it took me some time to find out :)

I still use the DC cable that came with the LPS-1. One end is a 90 degree plug so DC is not a problem. Ethernet is not as simple, but as you say, it can be done.

I think the USPCB is extremely good so I'll try to use it whenever I can.

• 1 year later...

Hey guys .. sorry for the thread resurrection. My mR is soon to arrive and I have 2 power supplies on hand which are appropriate, the iFi iPower and the SOtM mBPS-d2s. Of course I'll try them both but I can't help but wonder if the Small Green Computer 7V would be a better option. Opinions?

1 minute ago, Melvin said:

Hey guys .. sorry for the thread resurrection. My mR is soon to arrive and I have 2 power supplies on hand which are appropriate, the iFi iPower and the SOtM mBPS-d2s. Of course I'll try them both but I can't help but wonder if the Small Green Computer 7V would be a better option. Opinions?

IMHO anything is better than an iFi iPower ... but I've never tried mBPS-d2s.

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's