IGNORED

Power supplies and cables - observations, considerations & commentary

@flummoxe - I was actually thinking in a similar way, maybe one of these that could power both the UltraCap and the Ethernet switch:

MCRU Dual Output Regulated Linear Power Supply - MCRU

I'd spec it for [font= ]7.5V @ 2.4A[/font], that way it could power the mR direct, whilst waiting to see what the reports on the UltraCap look like.

I've sent a query to MCRU to double check this would work. The specs on the MCRU website are not that clear or extensive.

Windows 11 PC, Roon, HQPlayer, Focus Fidelity convolutions, iFi Zen Stream, Paul Hynes SR4, Mutec REF10, Mutec MC3+USB, Devialet 1000Pro, KEF Blade.  Plus Pro-Ject Signature 12 TT for playing my 'legacy' vinyl collection. Desktop system; RME ADI-2 DAC fs, Meze Empyrean headphones.

@flummoxe - I was actually thinking in a similar way, maybe one of these that could power both the UltraCap and the Ethernet switch:

MCRU Dual Output Regulated Linear Power Supply - MCRU

I'd spec it for 7.5V @ 2.4A, that way it could power the mR direct, whilst waiting to see what the reports on the UltraCap look like.

I've sent a query to MCRU to double check this would work. The specs on the MCRU website are not that clear or extensive.

I've just realised why you suggest 7.5v @ 2.4A having seen the spec of the UltraCap. The MCRU PSU's I mentioned are only 1A as far as I'm aware.

That means a rethink and a good job I didn't order!

Innuos Zenith SE (Roon Core) > Curious USB/Upton ISO REGEN +LPS-1/USPCB> Chord Hugo TT > ATC SCM 40A

I've just realised why you suggest 7.5v @ 2.4A having seen the spec of the UltraCap. The MCRU PSU's I mentioned are only 1A as far as I'm aware.

This would fit the bill although although a fair bit more expensive but voltage can be user adjusted.

2.5 amp linear power supply for streamers

Innuos Zenith SE (Roon Core) > Curious USB/Upton ISO REGEN +LPS-1/USPCB> Chord Hugo TT > ATC SCM 40A

Well, I was finding hard to believe I'd somehow cobbled together a pseudo twin PC set-up, now I discover I have an advanced one I fear my head might explode!

Anyway, I had stumbled across MCRU, and they do actually offer a PSU for the microRendu, at a glance it does look like a reasonable bit of kit for the price, as follows:

Linear Power Supply for Sonore microRendu + Sonicorbiter SE - MCRU

This comes in at an extremely reasonable £235. However, this does nicely illustrate my problem. I could go for one of these at £235, I could even get two for £470, and use the second one for the Ethernet switch. Or for £800 I could get the Paul Hynes SR5MR2 which I think is higher spec and would feed both the mR and Ethernet switch. Or I could get something from MCRU for £235 and use it to power the Uptone Audio UltraCap LPS-1. Many options! So what do I want to achieve? Quite simply the best possible sound quality from the mR, so this bit is straight forward. The problem I have is that I have no feel at all for what the mR performance difference will be between iFi, MCRU, Paul Hynes, UltraCap LPS-1, or anything else. I don't have anything tangible with which to make a decision, or even enough general experience with PSU's and this type of kit to make a gut instinct choice. Maybe I'm overthinking this one and I should just flip a coin and buy something! But other than flipping a coin, I have no way of rationalising this one. I guess I am looking for the wise minds out there with some experience of this stuff to gently nudge me the right way.

I do think you are overthinking it. If I was you, I'd call MCRU and ask them what the best bang for the pound is for the mRendu. I bet they will tell you.

As far as powering an LPS-1, I don't understand why people keep talking about buying expensive an expensive PS for it - it isn't needed and won't make it sound better (that's the whole point of the LPS-1).

The only thing you MIGHT need to be concerned about is if the PS for the LPS-1 puts a lot of noise back into the AC. I don't think you need a £500 or £800 power supply for that, and a linear PS isn't necessarily superior to some other type in that regard. If you want to get an LPS-1, do some research with vendors and find something that is reasonably priced and doesn't pollute the AC.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

The MeanWell PS that comes with the Regen is 7.5V, 2.93 amps. Uptone said anyting from 1.5 amps up will be fine for powering the Regen, and and the spec for the mR is 6-9V, 1 amp minimum - continuous.

So the MeanWell is fine for powering an mR with the LPS-1, in fact it is a bit overspec'ed, which won't hurt.

Are you sure the MCRU supply you mentioned is only 1 amp? The question is if it can power a device which needs 1 amp continous.

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

I do think you are overthinking it. If I was you, I'd call MCRU and ask them what the best bang for the pound is for the mRendu. I bet they will tell you.

As far as powering an LPS-1, I don't understand why people keep talking about buying expensive an expensive PS for it - it isn't needed and won't make it sound better (that's the whole point of the LPS-1).

The only thing you MIGHT need to be concerned about is if the PS for the LPS-1 puts a lot of noise back into the AC. I don't think you need a £500 or £800 power supply for that, and a linear PS isn't necessarily superior to some other type in that regard. If you want to get an LPS-1, do some research with vendors and find something that is reasonably priced and doesn't pollute the AC.

Yes, I agree an expensive PSU will not help sound quality using LPS-1. The thing is, I was thinking that something form MCRU would indeed be something reasonably priced without polluting the AC. To be honest, I have little idea how good an MCRU PSU is in this regard, and even if I asked them they are hardly going to reply that they are rubbish!

Windows 11 PC, Roon, HQPlayer, Focus Fidelity convolutions, iFi Zen Stream, Paul Hynes SR4, Mutec REF10, Mutec MC3+USB, Devialet 1000Pro, KEF Blade.  Plus Pro-Ject Signature 12 TT for playing my 'legacy' vinyl collection. Desktop system; RME ADI-2 DAC fs, Meze Empyrean headphones.

Yes, I agree an expensive PSU will not help sound quality using LPS-1. The thing is, I was thinking that something form MCRU would indeed be something reasonably priced without polluting the AC. To be honest, I have little idea how good an MCRU PSU is in this regard, and even if I asked them they are hardly going to reply that they are rubbish!

No, but they might tell you which ones are relatively better. I've dealt with them a bit, and they've really been okay. Can't hurt to ask and see what they say.

For the LPS-1 the feeder required current depends on the voltage. The overall requirement is 18 watts in the range of 7.5V to 12V. So just divide 18 by the voltage to find the current.

At 12V that is 1.5A so the lowest current supply you can use is 12V at 1.5A. On the other end is 7.5V at 2.4A.

The current requirements are independent of the current coming OUT of the LPS-1.

John S.

SonicTransporter/Synology 412+>microRendu>Yggy

Powering microRendu with P.I.Audio BatteryBUSS

Best SQ ever....

Hi, I have a similar set up, sonic transporter, Schiit Yggy DAC, Microrendu. I use the IfI power supply and the Microrendu gets too hot so I unplug it when not in use. I'm waiting for the Uptone LPS with lower voltage to see if that helps. Do you have this problem or do you use a different power supply. Thanks

SonicTransporter/Synology 412+>microRendu>Yggy

Powering microRendu with P.I.Audio BatteryBUSS

Best SQ ever....

Hi, I have a similar set up, sonic transporter, Schiit Yggy DAC, Microrendu. I use the IfI power supply and the Microrendu gets too hot so I unplug it when not in use. I'm waiting for the Uptone LPS with lower voltage to see if that helps. Do you have this problem or do you use a different power supply. Thanks

I'm using the P.I. Audio battery supply at 7.5 v, yes it gets rather hot, believe it's the Yggy.

rogerdn

Just curious what temperature would be considered damagingly hot. With Yggy and HPLEX plugged, some spots on my mR can be up to 39C. Without Yggy it drops only a little to 37C. Then again the top of my router is consistently 40C and my cable tv box is worse at nearly 46C on the faceplate. (Not that I care much about the condition of the cable tv box)

Speaker Rig: Roon > microRendu + HDPlex 100W > Yggdrasil > iTube > Sansui Au-555a > Dali Royal Menuet II 

Vinyl Rig: Sansui SR-2050C > Sansui Au-555a > Dali Royal Menuet II

Home Rig: Roon > microRendu > iPurifier 2 > Yggdrasil > iCAN SE > HD800S (LPS: HDPlex 100W)

Office Rig: Roon > mac mini > iDSD BL > HD800S / Viso HP50 / Marshall Major II

Just curious what temperature would be considered damagingly hot. With Yggy and HPLEX plugged, some spots on my mR can be up to 39C. Without Yggy it drops only a little to 37C. Then again the top of my router is consistently 40C and my cable tv box is worse at nearly 46C on the faceplate. (Not that I care much about the condition of the cable tv box)

I have been saying all along that if you can hold your finger on it, the temp is fine.

In actuality the temperature at which the lifetime of the components starts degrading is so hot it would burn your finger, for most circumstances, it is not a problem.

John S.

I have been saying all along that if you can hold your finger on it, the temp is fine.

In actuality the temperature at which the lifetime of the components starts degrading is so hot it would burn your finger, for most circumstances, it is not a problem.

John S.

Thanks John. I read your earlier posts mentioning the finger method. But I'm thinking our personal threshold for pain can vary a lot no? My wife takes a drop of boiling gravy with her finger to see if it tastes right. When I do that my finger melts and becomes gravy.

But I gather from your second point that we're talking about skin losing kind of hot before electronics degrade.

Speaker Rig: Roon > microRendu + HDPlex 100W > Yggdrasil > iTube > Sansui Au-555a > Dali Royal Menuet II 

Vinyl Rig: Sansui SR-2050C > Sansui Au-555a > Dali Royal Menuet II

Home Rig: Roon > microRendu > iPurifier 2 > Yggdrasil > iCAN SE > HD800S (LPS: HDPlex 100W)

Office Rig: Roon > mac mini > iDSD BL > HD800S / Viso HP50 / Marshall Major II

Thanks John. I read your earlier posts mentioning the finger method. But I'm thinking our personal threshold for pain can vary a lot no? My wife takes a drop of boiling gravy with her finger to see if it tastes right. When I do that my finger melts and becomes gravy.

But I gather from your second point that we're talking about skin losing kind of hot before electronics degrade.

You have two options if you are really concerned about this:

1. Lower the voltage.

2. Turn off the DAC when your done using it.

Yes there is a lot of person difference in pain, but that is taken into account by the huge margin. I refuse to post a specific temperature number. If I do people will be fighting over 1/4 degrees one way or the other. "I'm one degree below the number so I'm fine" or "UGH I'm a quarter degree above the number, my unit is going to self destruct in five seconds".

The truth is the lifetime VS temperature curve is literally in the hundreds of years until you get VERY hot. (but I'm NOT giving anybody a number of what VERY hot IS!)

So just live by the finger test and you will be fine.

John S.

When running my microRendu powered by iFi into a Devialet amp via USB, it ran at a reassuringly just warm to the touch, this seamed fine to me, I was more than happy to leave it powered up and running 24/7. More recently I have been running the microRendu powered by iFi into a Mutec MC3+USB, and it runs staggeringly hot! I understand this is due to the Mutec 'isolating' the USB side of things and drawing full power via the USB feed, rather than relying on it's own power. Hot to the touch? Yes, you could burn yourself, it's that hot. I have mitigated this in the short term with a very crude 'cooling system', that is the mR is trapped between the top of my Blu-Ray player and a large metal drill box I found in the garage! It's a big box of drills, and includes all the intermediate +0.5mm sizes, so has a reasonable mass. OK, as crude as you like, but it appears to work and keep temperatures at very reasonable levels. Not a very elegant though, and I am hoping that the switch to a 7V LPSU will allow me to put the drills back in my tool cabinet!

Getting this back on topic, I have had some feedback from MCRU regarding a LPSU that would run 7.5v at 2.4A. So something that would power the mR nicely directly, but could also be used later to feed the Uptone Audio UltraCap LPS-1, without putting too much grunge back into the mains. It would appear the £235 item MCRU offer for the mR is not powerful enough, but they could offer a more powerful item that could be set to 7.5V and easily deliver 2.4A. However, this is a more expensive beast at about £400, so not exactly the 'El Cheapo' LPS option that you might want considering that the PSU has no influence on sound quality via the LPS-1.

So an MCRU LPSU plus the UltraCap LPS-1 is more or less the same cash as a Paul Hynes SR5MR2, which could also power the associated Ethernet switch. This looks quite a compelling option I think. The question is, how would a Paul Hynes SR5MR2 perform versus the LPS-1 in terms of mR sound quality? I'm guessing there would be very little in it, if any difference at all? This is just a bit of a hunch though, this is not my area of expertise!

So Paul Hynes SR5MR2 versus UltraCap LPS-1? Does anyone have an informed or inspired view as to what would win this shootout?

Getting this back on topic, I have had some feedback from MCRU regarding a LPSU that would run 7.5v at 2.4A. So something that would power the mR nicely directly, but could also be used later to feed the Uptone Audio UltraCap LPS-1, without putting too much grunge back into the mains. It would appear the £235 item MCRU offer for the mR is not powerful enough, but they could offer a more powerful item that could be set to 7.5V and easily deliver 2.4A. However, this is a more expensive beast at about £400, so not exactly the 'El Cheapo' LPS option that you might want considering that the PSU has no influence on sound quality via the LPS-1.

So an MCRU LPSU plus the UltraCap LPS-1 is more or less the same cash as a Paul Hynes SR5MR2, which could also power the associated Ethernet switch. This looks quite a compelling option I think. The question is, how would a Paul Hynes SR5MR2 perform versus the LPS-1 in terms of mR sound quality? I'm guessing there would be very little in it, if any difference at all? This is just a bit of a hunch though, this is not my area of expertise!

So Paul Hynes SR5MR2 versus UltraCap LPS-1? Does anyone have an informed or inspired view as to what would win this shootout?

It appears David at MCRU has been listening and at a better price Regulated Linear Power Supply for UpTone Audio "UltraCapâ„¢ LPS-1 - MCRU

It appears David at MCRU has been listening and at a better price Regulated Linear Power Supply for UpTone Audio "UltraCapâ„¢ LPS-1 - MCRU

Interesting. What I'm not understanding is this: the issue with the LPS-1 isn't the PS forward (as the device itself supplies only clean power from the ultracaps to the mR), but the noise from the PS back into the AC and its effect on other components in the system.

I don't see any description of this aspect in MCRU's page.

Interesting. What I'm not understanding is this: the issue with the LPS-1 isn't the PS forward (as the device itself supplies only clean power from the ultracaps to the mR), but the noise from the PS back into the AC and its effect on other components in the system.

I don't see any description of this aspect in MCRU's page.

As the MCRU is Linear I presume you avoid the majority of the noise switchers would feed back into the mains.

I think you will find David at MCRU has responded to both our enquiries putting a specific product on his web site which is only one of his standard supplies adjusted to 7.5v. Thankfully it's some what cheaper than the 7v 2A supply i was originally considering. The 2 appear to be the same??

At 295 GBP, why not just go with an HDPlex? It's $400, and you get five different output voltages, two of which are variable for great versatility, two of which could independently power LPS-1's (the 12V fixed, and the 5-9V variable), and it's a great linear power supply in its own right, which blows away the iFi level or any SMPS by a mile even powering microRendu and other electronics on its own. Seems like way more of a bargain for similar price than the MCRU...

My Paul Hynes SR3-07 arrived yesterday and I finally got around to setting it up with my uRendu this morning. For the record, I use Roon/HQPlayer running on a Mac Mini up sampling to DSD128, sent across Cat6 cable to the uRendu and then into a BMC PureDAC. The SR3-07 has replaced the iPower unit that I purchased with the uRendu. I asked Paul to upgrade the SR3-07 with silver wire inside and a silver cable providing power into the uRendu, giving a total cost with UK shipping of around £400.

So how does it sound compared to the iPower? In two words, utterly transformational. This modest outlay has made as big an impact as adding the uRendu into my system in the first place. The SR3 has unlocked a wealth of additional detail that is apparent in many different ways: more bass and tighter bass; more detail on the attack of guitar strings, the acoustics of the human voice; a more realistic soundstage; and an ability to really get inside a fast-moving, complex piece of music (for example, "Goodbye J.D." on Oscar Peterson's "We get requests". And all of this before the unit has even burned itself in.

Of course, I can only use the iPower as a point of comparison and I'm sure the forthcoming unit from UpTone will be impressive. But Paul's work is legendary (he has a big fan club down in Australia for example) and if you live in the UK especially, it makes sense to buy local and get a bargain to boot.

In summary, this product comes highly recommended by me (FWIW). "Confused" - it's time to get off the fence!

You have two options if you are really concerned about this:

1. Lower the voltage.

2. Turn off the DAC when your done using it.

There is a third option: attach a heat sink. That's what I did; works just fine.

For my system details, please see my profile. Thank you.