IGNORED

Power supplies and cables - observations, considerations & commentary

I must admit that I am now in the position of seriously considering placing an order for the Paul Hynes SR5. My plan is to use this to power both the microRendu and the associated Ethernet switch. The historic issues per Mike's links above do indeed make grim reading, although I do not wish to totally condemn Paul Hynes based on what may now be what was indeed purely historic issues. The recent reports I have read do indicate good communications and reasonably timely issues. I suspect that the recent reports I am aware of will be identical to those mentioned by hifi_swlon, has anyone else had any recent experience with Paul Hynes? I have to say that I have been in communication with him recently and all I have experienced is rapid communication with good factual technical content, so from my own very limited experience I can only conclude all is good now. Maybe I should get my order in before the Atlantic storm season kicks in though!

I have one technical question here. As I said above, my plan is to use the SR5 to power both the microRendu and the associated Ethernet switch. I see this as a neat and simple way to eliminate two wall warts. However, is this the best way to proceed on a purely technical basis? That is, would it be technically superior to use two separate LPSU's for the mR and the switch? Or would this make no difference, all other things being equal?

Windows 11 PC, Roon, HQPlayer, Focus Fidelity convolutions, iFi Zen Stream, Paul Hynes SR4, Mutec REF10, Mutec MC3+USB, Devialet 1000Pro, KEF Blade.  Plus Pro-Ject Signature 12 TT for playing my 'legacy' vinyl collection. Desktop system; RME ADI-2 DAC fs, Meze Empyrean headphones.

I must admit that I am now in the position of seriously considering placing an order for the Paul Hynes SR5. My plan is to use this to power both the microRendu and the associated Ethernet switch. The historic issues per Mike's links above do indeed make grim reading, although I do not wish to totally condemn Paul Hynes based on what may now be what was indeed purely historic issues. The recent reports I have read do indicate good communications and reasonably timely issues. I suspect that the recent reports I am aware of will be identical to those mentioned by hifi_swlon, has anyone else had any recent experience with Paul Hynes? I have to say that I have been in communication with him recently and all I have experienced is rapid communication with good factual technical content, so from my own very limited experience I can only conclude all is good now. Maybe I should get my order in before the Atlantic storm season kicks in though!

I have one technical question here. As I said above, my plan is to use the SR5 to power both the microRendu and the associated Ethernet switch. I see this as a neat and simple way to eliminate two wall warts. However, is this the best way to proceed on a purely technical basis? That is, would it be technically superior to use two separate LPSU's for the mR and the switch? Or would this make no difference, all other things being equal?

I don't have any feedback (personal or from customers) in regards to Paul Hynes. It doesn't seem like a good idea to me to power the switch and the microRendu from the same supply. A safer bet is to update just the microRendu's power supply.

I placed two orders with Paul. Lets say the delivery dates were way way late. I have 4 SR7's and I am very happy with them.

There is now a second company Paul Hynes Audio LTD. My friend has had two separate orders delivered on time with them. It appears that this new company is a vast improvement on delivery.

From the web site: For orders contact David Webb e-mail [email protected] Telephone 01953 883840

Good Luck.

I would like some comparisons of ifi/vs other psu's in terms of sound. What did one do better than the other? I ask this because my rendu with ifi is somewhat bright and fatiguing. I've run it in for three weeks and it is much better that when I started but still not quite there. I'm playing Tidal using Roon. I'm running Roon Core wirelessly to the router> 25ft Supra Ethernet> urendu> curious USB> Berkeley alpha USB> Metrum Hex Dac.

I placed two orders with Paul. Lets say the delivery dates were way way late. I have 4 SR7's and I am very happy with them.

There is now a second company Paul Hynes Audio LTD. My friend has had two separate orders delivered on time with them. It appears that this new company is a vast improvement on delivery.

From the web site: For orders contact David Webb e-mail [email protected] Telephone 01953 883840

Good Luck.

Apparently because of all his problems meeting delivery dates, PH setup a separate manufacturing and sales branch (which he doesn't manage) that builds his standard set of supplies so that they are in inventory and can be sent from "off the shelf".

AFAIU, the delivery problems are in the past, as long as you don't make some very unusual special order.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

I would like some comparisons of ifi/vs other psu's in terms of sound. What did one do better than the other? I ask this because my rendu with ifi is somewhat bright and fatiguing. I've run it in for three weeks and it is much better that when I started but still not quite there. I'm playing Tidal using Roon. I'm running Roon Core wirelessly to the router> 25ft Supra Ethernet> urendu> curious USB> Berkeley alpha USB> Metrum Hex Dac.

I would agree that the ifi is somewhat bright .

I havent decided on a LPS yet but it's my next purchase for sure

My HDPlex 100W mellowed down the SQ that I was getting from the ifi. More natural and realistic, which I like. I wouldn't say the ifi wasn't good though. The brighter SQ conveys a open sense of space that at times made me feel like everything's being played in a 'live' auditorium. Can be additive too. Gear wise, I'm running Tidal via Roon through a wireless core too.

Speaker Rig: Roon > microRendu + HDPlex 100W > Yggdrasil > iTube > Sansui Au-555a > Dali Royal Menuet II 

Vinyl Rig: Sansui SR-2050C > Sansui Au-555a > Dali Royal Menuet II

Home Rig: Roon > microRendu > iPurifier 2 > Yggdrasil > iCAN SE > HD800S (LPS: HDPlex 100W)

Office Rig: Roon > mac mini > iDSD BL > HD800S / Viso HP50 / Marshall Major II

My HDPlex 100W mellowed down the SQ that I was getting from the ifi. More natural and realistic, which I like. I wouldn't say the ifi wasn't good though. The brighter SQ conveys a open sense of space that at times made me feel like everything's being played in a 'live' auditorium. Can be additive too. Gear wise, I'm running Tidal via Roon through a wireless core too.

+1 EXACTLY on the description of HD vs iFi.

SERVER CLOSET (in office directly below living room stereo):NUC 7i5BNH with Roon ROCK (ZeroZone 12V on the NUC)>Cisco 2690L-16PS switch>Sonore opticalModule (Uptone LPS 1.2)>

LIVING ROOM: Sonore opticalRendu Roon version (Sonore Power Supply)> Shunyata Venom USB>Naim DAC V1>Witchhat DIN>Naim NAP 160 Bolt Down>Chord Rumor 2>Audio Physic Compact Classics. OFFICE: opticalModule> Sonore microRendu 1.4> Matrix Mini-i Pro 3> Naim NAP 110>NACA5>KEF Ls50's. BJC 6a and Ghent Catsnake 6a JSSG ethernet; AC cables: Shunyata Venom NR V-10; Audience Forte F3; Ice Age copper/copper; Sean Jacobs CHC PowerBlack, Moon Audio DIN>RCA, USB A>C. Isolation: Herbie's Audio Lab. 

+1 EXACTLY on the description of HD vs iFi.

And of course there's now the LPS 1 to give us more choices, or confusion, depending on our idea of what's fun.

Speaker Rig: Roon > microRendu + HDPlex 100W > Yggdrasil > iTube > Sansui Au-555a > Dali Royal Menuet II 

Home Rig: Roon > microRendu > iPurifier 2 > Yggdrasil > iCAN SE > HD800S (LPS: HDPlex 100W)

And of course there's now the LPS 1 to give us more choices, or confusion, depending on our idea of what's fun.

Think of it this way...you can spend $50, or $395 or +1000 on a PS:) There is something for everyone in that range and the microRendu is the same in all cases.

I've also started this thread to throw in the Vinnie Rossi up and coming Ultracapacitor Power Supplies which are based on the patent pending Vinnie Rossi LIO technology.

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f8-general-forum/ultracapacitor-power-supplies-are-coming-pure-dc-4evr-mini-and-mega-29986/

W10 NUC i7 (Gen 10) > Roon (Audiolense FIR) > Motu UltraLite mk5 > (4) Hypex NCore NC502MP > JBL M2 Master Reference +4 subs

Watch my Podcast https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXMw_bZWBMtRWNJQfTJ38kA/videos

Think of it this way...you can spend $50, or $395 or +1000 on a PS:) There is something for everyone in that range and the microRendu is the same in all cases.

Guys like me will probably end up trying everything. Maybe I should get a couple more mR to go with the different PS instead of the other way around. Don't suppose you have a mR version 2 up your sleeve. I would certainly wait for that.

I've also started this thread to throw in the Vinnie Rossi up and coming Ultracapacitor Power Supplies which are based on the patent pending Vinnie Rossi LIO technology.

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f8-general-forum/ultracapacitor-power-supplies-are-coming-pure-dc-4evr-mini-and-mega-29986/

That project is not out yet right?

Just received my mR today with iFi 9v PSU. Sounds brilliant after only an hour, so can't imagine what it'll sound like after a week or so. Just ordered the UltraCap just now too. Missed the first 100, but it'll be a nice boost when it arrives beginning of November.... hopefully!

Thanks for posting your findings.

Guys like me will probably end up trying everything. Maybe I should get a couple more mR to go with the different PS instead of the other way around. Don't suppose you have a mR version 2 up your sleeve. I would certainly wait for that.

We are always working on something, but right now we are primarily concentrating on the microRendu.

That project is not out yet right?

In Vinnie's announcement here Ultracapacitor Power Supplies are coming (PURE-DC-4EVR: the MINI and the MEGA) ! he mentioned that he plans to begin the pre-order process in October and he'll be shipping by December.

And he hopes to have a pre-production prototype at RMAF next week.

W10 NUC i7 (Gen 10) > Roon (Audiolense FIR) > Motu UltraLite mk5 > (4) Hypex NCore NC502MP > JBL M2 Master Reference +4 subs

Watch my Podcast https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXMw_bZWBMtRWNJQfTJ38kA/videos

I have been following this thread with great interest but I have to admit that I have been struggling to come up with an obvious choice for an LPSU to power the microRendu. One thing occurs to me, and that is that maybe I should be paying just as much attention to the power supply to my Mutec MC3+USB, which effectively sits as the last device prior to my DAC. OK, Mutecs are off topic here, but do find myself in the position that I'm thinking I need two or three LPSU's, for the mR, Ethernet switch, Mutec and so on. So this leads me to the conclusion that I should be going for a decent LPSU for the mR, but not one that is 'all in' cash wise, as I then have to buy more of the things to cover other areas. Looking in the UK for something readily available, of decent quality and about the right price point per the above, I have found these:

MCRU Ltd Edition Linear PSU - MCRU

Linear Power Supply for Sonore microRendu + Sonicorbiter SE - MCRU

These are an interesting design as they have two regulators, one close to the PSU, the second in a separate case, close to the item being powered. The £450 'SE' item is rated at 7V, 2.5A, so no issues with power. There are very few details spec wise, but it appears that the manufacturer Long Dog Audio does have a good reputation with power supplies.

I have to admit that I am very indecisive with this one! Does anyone have any experience of LDA LPSU's or any thoughts on the 'SE' item per the link above as a decent LPSU for the mR?

Windows 11 PC, Roon, HQPlayer, Focus Fidelity convolutions, iFi Zen Stream, Paul Hynes SR4, Mutec REF10, Mutec MC3+USB, Devialet 1000Pro, KEF Blade.  Plus Pro-Ject Signature 12 TT for playing my 'legacy' vinyl collection. Desktop system; RME ADI-2 DAC fs, Meze Empyrean headphones.

FYI If you purchased a microRendu with an iFi iPower supply (9V @ 2AMPs) you do not need to purchase the energizing power supply for the Uptone Audio LPS-1 power supply. You can utlilze the iFi iPower supply to energize the Uptone Audio LPS-1 power supply. This reduces the price of the Uptone Audio LPS-1 upgrade to 380 USD.

Looks like my Paul Hynes is still in schedule.

I foolishly read those old threads (bearing in mind I'd already paid for it), so popped an email to Paul just to confirm, and apparently all still on track as quoted. Fingers crossed.

When it arrives I'll post the number of days from payment to delivery.

Roon lifetime > Mac Mini > ethernet > microRendu (RAAT) w/ Paul Hynes SR3 > Intona > Curious USB link > Devialet 250 Pro > PMC fact 8.