IGNORED

Power supplies and cables - observations, considerations & commentary

You have two options if you are really concerned about this:

1. Lower the voltage.

2. Turn off the DAC when your done using it.

I'm less concerned now after hearing from you and John. It's not smoking hot, plus any 'damage' from heat only affects the lifetime of the electronics and not an overnight meltdown. But guess you guys know by now how OCD this hobby can get, especially for a piece of gear that we love so much. :)

Speaker Rig: Roon > microRendu + HDPlex 100W > Yggdrasil > iTube > Sansui Au-555a > Dali Royal Menuet II 

Vinyl Rig: Sansui SR-2050C > Sansui Au-555a > Dali Royal Menuet II

Home Rig: Roon > microRendu > iPurifier 2 > Yggdrasil > iCAN SE > HD800S (LPS: HDPlex 100W)

Office Rig: Roon > mac mini > iDSD BL > HD800S / Viso HP50 / Marshall Major II

When the ultracap LS-1 will be available, I would be very interested in a comparison between the combo Ultracap LS-1 + MCRU 7.5/2.5 V and the Sonore Signature Series power supply regarding their influence on SQ enhancement.

The investment for a Sonore Sign. power supply is about 2.5 fold of the investment for the above mentioned combo.

I would like to read your opinion about this competition.

Jörg

When the ultracap LS-1 will be available, I would be very interested in a comparison between the combo Ultracap LS-1 + MCRU 7.5/2.5 V and the Sonore Signature Series power supply regarding their influence on SQ enhancement.

The investment for a Sonore Sign. power supply is about 2.5 fold of the investment for the above mentioned combo.

Jörg

Who's opinon would you like to read? Unfortunately, such comparisons are often going to be system dependent (especially if we assume that both options are going to operate as specified/expected). So it may not be valid to assume that one's own results will be similar to someone else's results given a different system context. The differences which may exhibit themselves in these types of comparisons are really the types of differences which need to be evaluated in one's own system.

The reason for this, is that every system is flawed in some aspect, and sometimes, a valid technical improvement, may actually sound "worse" as it may highlight a flaw in the system (whereas the previous approach contributed to hiding that flaw).

I am not going to suggest one approach is better than another here, my point is just to take other's observations of such things with a healthy grain of salt.

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

Who's opinon would you like to read? Unfortunately, such comparisons are often going to be system dependent (especially if we assume that both options are going to operate as specified/expected). So it may not be valid to assume that one's own results will be similar to someone else's results given a different system context. The differences which may exhibit themselves in these types of comparisons are really the types of differences which need to be evaluated in one's own system.

The reason for this, is that every system is flawed in some aspect, and sometimes, a valid technical improvement, may actually sound "worse" as it may highlight a flaw in the system (whereas the previous approach contributed to hiding that flaw).

I am not going to suggest one approach is better than another here, my point is just to take other's observations of such things with a healthy grain of salt.

Very well said!

JC

Hi Nikko1960,

I'm currently pondering PSU's for my microRendu and Chord 2Qute.

In the frame are the Teddy Pardo and MCRU products. However, I've just found the HiFi Pig review of the Paul Hynes SR3 which sings its praises and now your post above, so my pondering/procrastination is over. I've emailed Paul to confirm if the SR3 can handle 7.5V/2.4A required by the Upton UltraCap LPS-1 and if so I'll be placing an order.

What was the delivery time?

Thanks

Paul

Innuos Zenith SE (Roon Core) > Curious USB/Upton ISO REGEN +LPS-1/USPCB> Chord Hugo TT > ATC SCM 40A

My Paul Hynes SR3-07 arrived yesterday and I finally got around to setting it up with my uRendu this morning. For the record, I use Roon/HQPlayer running on a Mac Mini up sampling to DSD128, sent across Cat6 cable to the uRendu and then into a BMC PureDAC. The SR3-07 has replaced the iPower unit that I purchased with the uRendu. I asked Paul to upgrade the SR3-07 with silver wire inside and a silver cable providing power into the uRendu, giving a total cost with UK shipping of around £400.

So how does it sound compared to the iPower? In two words, utterly transformational. This modest outlay has made as big an impact as adding the uRendu into my system in the first place. The SR3 has unlocked a wealth of additional detail that is apparent in many different ways: more bass and tighter bass; more detail on the attack of guitar strings, the acoustics of the human voice; a more realistic soundstage; and an ability to really get inside a fast-moving, complex piece of music (for example, "Goodbye J.D." on Oscar Peterson's "We get requests". And all of this before the unit has even burned itself in.

Of course, I can only use the iPower as a point of comparison and I'm sure the forthcoming unit from UpTone will be impressive. But Paul's work is legendary (he has a big fan club down in Australia for example) and if you live in the UK especially, it makes sense to buy local and get a bargain to boot.

In summary, this product comes highly recommended by me (FWIW). "Confused" - it's time to get off the fence!

Hi Nikko1960,

In the frame are the Teddy Pardo and MCRU products. However, I've just found the HiFi Pig review of the Paul Hynes SR3 which sings its praises and now your post above, so my pondering/procrastination is over. I've emailed Paul to confirm if the SR3 can handle 7.5V/2.4A required by the Upton UltraCap LPS-1 and if so I'll be placing an order.

Thanks

Paul

Innuos Zenith SE (Roon Core) > Curious USB/Upton ISO REGEN +LPS-1/USPCB> Chord Hugo TT > ATC SCM 40A

Hi Nikko1960,

Thanks

Paul

Paul's delivery time is 10-15 working days for the SR3. Mine took a bit longer than that because Paul was on vacation and then so was I.

Best

Nikko

Paul's delivery time is 10-15 working days for the SR3. Mine took a bit longer than that because Paul was on vacation and then so was I.

Best

Nikko

Thanks Nikko,

I've had a reply from Paul and he states the SR3-7.5V can provide 3.3A continuous and 20A transient so it's fine for the Upton UltraCap.LPS-1.

I understand the SR3 takes a while to settle-in so the results out of the box are impressive with more to come.

Regards

Paul

I do agree with what you are saying here, but there are other ways of looking at this. For most of us it simply is not possible to try every option out there for every component. I am a great advocate of the extended home demonstration wherever possible, but for some kit it simply is not possible. This certainly applies to a UK resident interested in US supplied ancillary items. So I too would be interested in anyone posting their observations of any two LPSU's, or any other items for that matter. Would I take such observations with a 'health grain of salt'? Yes I would! But given a number of observations, perhaps in part from individuals who's views you trust, can certainly improve tho odds of buying well over just taking a total punt. After all, I have recently purchased both a microRendu and a Mutec MC3+USB based only on posts I have read on various forums, and luckily this has worked out very well!

Windows 11 PC, Roon, HQPlayer, Focus Fidelity convolutions, iFi Zen Stream, Paul Hynes SR4, Mutec REF10, Mutec MC3+USB, Devialet 1000Pro, KEF Blade.  Plus Pro-Ject Signature 12 TT for playing my 'legacy' vinyl collection. Desktop system; RME ADI-2 DAC fs, Meze Empyrean headphones.

I am a great advocate of the extended home demonstration wherever possible, but for some kit it simply is not possible. This certainly applies to a UK resident interested in US supplied ancillary items.

Paul Hynes offers a 56-day returns policy for his products, no questions asked, if you're not completely satisfied. I have no intention of letting him have mine back!

Nikko

Thanks Nikko,

I've had a reply from Paul and he states the SR3-7.5V can provide 3.3A continuous and 20A transient so it's fine for the Upton UltraCap.LPS-1.

I understand the SR3 takes a while to settle-in so the results out of the box are impressive with more to come.

Regards

Paul

Why wouldn't you just power the microRendu from the SR3-7.5V power supply and call it a day?

Why wouldn't you just power the microRendu from the SR3-7.5V power supply and call it a day?

You gave me the same advice previously and my second JS-2 arrived yesterday.

Yes the PS-1 might give lower noise, but one needs a reasonable energising supply to avoid noise squawking back out to AC. The combined price isn't too far off a single quality linear supply which is more flexible (drive multiple devices at different voltages)

I will let it burn in a few days and report back on the microRendu and a Chord 2Qute each with their own JS-2

A valid question and thats probably what will happen.

However, with all the hype over the UltraCap LPS-1, I wanted to make sure the SR3-7.5V was suitable "if" I was to go down that route in the future.

Jörg

I am interested about this as well. It seems Sonore didn't advertise their Sonore signature power supply and Rendu server much. uR and SE are their main products.

A valid question and thats probably what will happen.

However, with all the hype over the UltraCap LPS-1, I wanted to make sure the SR3-7.5V was suitable "if" I was to go down that route in the future.

Believe me...I'm not surprised people will try this. However, the question needs to be asked so other reading this can understand that it's not something you have to do.

There are two schools: one, he doesn't know how to do measurements properly and got invalid results; two, he showed the iFi sucks and that the mR does neither harm or good.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

So a digital audio device is basically like a black hole – it can be perfectly described using just two measurements. Mass and spin or cost and a jitter graph?

Roon client on iPad/MacBookPro

Roon Server & HQPlayer on Mac Mini 2.0 GHz i7 with JS-2

LPS-1 & ultraRendu → Lampizator Atlantic → Bent Audio TAP-X → Atma-sphere M60 → Zero autoformers → Harbeth Compact 7 ES-3

Don't forget measurements of power

I agree. If you power your black hole with a iFi power supply you will have noice degradation with up to 30bB. Not good.

Roon client on iPad/MacBookPro

Roon Server & HQPlayer on Mac Mini 2.0 GHz i7 with JS-2

LPS-1 & ultraRendu → Lampizator Atlantic → Bent Audio TAP-X → Atma-sphere M60 → Zero autoformers → Harbeth Compact 7 ES-3

Believe me...I'm not surprised people will try this. However, the question needs to be asked so other reading this can understand that it's not something you have to do.

This comment intrigued me! Not that there is anything wrong with the sentiments expressed here, in fact this would appear to be a an entirely sensible comment. However, this forum is full of comments along the lines of 'you need the best possible, cleanest power supply you can get in order to achieve the best sound quality from a microRendu'. On top of this, these has also been much comment about the very high performance potential of the UltraCap LPS-1. So based on a general read of this forum, maybe without thinking too hard about this technically, it would be very easy to reach the conclusion that the general consensus is that if you have a microRendu it should be powered by the UltraCap LPS-1, which in itself is needs a LPSU to keep mains noise down. Of course Paul Hynes has a reputation for producing very fine LPSU's. So could you hear the difference between a mR powered by Paul Hynes LPSU alone or one powered by Paul Hynes + UltraCap LPS-1? I would doubt it, but with the extreme emphasis that has been placed on the importance of clean power for the mR, it is hardly surprising that this kind of thought process prevails.

Windows 11 PC, Roon, HQPlayer, Focus Fidelity convolutions, iFi Zen Stream, Paul Hynes SR4, Mutec REF10, Mutec MC3+USB, Devialet 1000Pro, KEF Blade.  Plus Pro-Ject Signature 12 TT for playing my 'legacy' vinyl collection. Desktop system; RME ADI-2 DAC fs, Meze Empyrean headphones.