IGNORED

Power supplies and cables - observations, considerations & commentary

... so the ability to have more come through better defined at a lesser volume without being overly "hifi"...

Everything seems to be in the right place. GUI is super easy and everything worked. Tried so far with Kazoo, Kinsky, and Lumin. Prefer simplicity of Kazoo layout and speed of Lumin. Any other open home control software I should consider?

Thats a very important point and a quality that is elusive in all but the best hifi products (but not necessarily only the most expensive ones).

I have the same experience with hearing more detail at a comparably lower volume setting. There probably isn't a better compliment to be paid.

Do you have an Android device to use as a control point? If so the BubbleUPnP app is quite good as a controller, and I believe it is OH compliant.

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

Boycott Warner Music Group

I'm using an IntoCircuit 32000mah battery system with my new microRendu. The only thing I have to contrast it to is an inexpensive Parts-Express variable linear regulated power supply I used to power a REGEN. I prefer the battery for its lower background noise and absence of most digital edge and grain, though there may be just a touch less dynamic pop than with the linear supply. Very slight, though. I'm planning on adding the LPS-1 when it becomes available.

The microRendu/battery combination using Roon/HQPlayer running on a Mac Mini in the next room is giving me the best digital music sound I've ever had in my system.

Steve Z

54a14376-1c3e-4805-8e73-67cc6290ef57.jpg

VPI-HW40 Anniversary turntable, Grado Aeon3 cartridge; Teres turntable, VPI Fatboy gimbal, Dynavector XV1-S, Lyra Helikon mono; Taiko Audio Extreme server, dCS Vivaldi DAC, Upsampler Plus and Clock, Cybershaft OP21 Reference Clock; Playback Designs Pinot ADC; D'Agostino Momentum M400 amplifiers, Momentum HD preamp, Momentum phono stage; Wilson Audio Alexx speakers, 2X3 SVS SB16 Ultra subwoofers; Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR & Typhon, Shunyata Sigma NR & Alpha NR power cords, Sigma interconnects, digital and speaker cables; Stillpoints ESS grid system rack; Stillpoints Ultras and Ultra 5s, component stands and cones under everything, ASC Tube Traps . . . and lots and lots of music.

Seems quite similar to the company making mine:

https://www.xtpower.de/MP-32000-Ultra-High-Capacity-Power-Bank-with-32000mAh-Multi-Voltage-Charger-5-20V-60W

I have seen at least 3 different variations of the same unit.

Good to hear that you are happy with it :)

You're the one I believe whose post in one of the microRendu threads gave me the idea. Many thanks.

Steve Z

VPI-HW40 Anniversary turntable, Grado Aeon3 cartridge; Teres turntable, VPI Fatboy gimbal, Dynavector XV1-S, Lyra Helikon mono; Taiko Audio Extreme server, dCS Vivaldi DAC, Upsampler Plus and Clock, Cybershaft OP21 Reference Clock; Playback Designs Pinot ADC; D'Agostino Momentum M400 amplifiers, Momentum HD preamp, Momentum phono stage; Wilson Audio Alexx speakers, 2X3 SVS SB16 Ultra subwoofers; Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR & Typhon, Shunyata Sigma NR & Alpha NR power cords, Sigma interconnects, digital and speaker cables; Stillpoints ESS grid system rack; Stillpoints Ultras and Ultra 5s, component stands and cones under everything, ASC Tube Traps . . . and lots and lots of music.

I get >24h with mine when powering the uRendu alone.

Can you shut down that battery using it's on/off switch, or must you physically disconnect it from the load for it to turn off?

I ask because I have an older Anker Astro with a 9/12vdc output that refuses to shut down unless physically disconnected from the load, despite the manufacturer assuring me it will turn off using the switch. I find that annoying, I would prefer not to have to unplug the umbilical cable when I want to shut it down, but there is no way to do that.

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

Can you shut down that battery using it's on/off switch, or must you physically disconnect it from the load for it to turn off?

I ask because I have an older Anker Astro with a 9/12vdc output that refuses to shut down unless physically disconnected from the load, despite the manufacturer assuring me it will turn off using the switch. I find that annoying, I would prefer not to have to unplug the umbilical cable when I want to shut it down, but there is no way to do that.

This is confirmed and I also find it a bit annoying.

The cable must be pulled out at the battery end to not discharge the battery. There is no Off button. I think there is a reasoning behind this way of working.

Me also. I haven't run the battery all the way down, but extrapolating the hours vs percent of charge indicated on the Intocircuit's display, 50+ hours of continuous run time should be possible. My DAC draws a bit of power too, though the microRendu is not getting unduly hot. More like warm.

On the Intocircuit unit it is also necessary to pull the power cord (no on/off switch for power output), which I do at the battery end so to save wear and tear on the microRendue power connection.

Steve Z

Thanks guys, I might pick up that same battery to energize the forthcoming UpTone LPS-1, pretty impressive run time... especially compared to my DIY battery:

P6100839.jpg

I cobbled together 6 Panasonic Eneloop Pro AA Ni-MH batteries in series after reading the Regen battery thread suggested by Jesus R.

The sound is absolutely outstanding and a clear leap up from the iPower I had been using, just a different league in terms of transparency and especially stereo soundstage size/depth.

However my $35 solution only has a 6 hour runtime. I had initially expected more but my calculations were off, JS set me straight there, I had neglected to take into account the 300mA drawn by my DAC.

But if nothing else this further opens my eyes as to how well the microRendu scales up with a power supply upgrade.

Bring on that UpTone LPS-1!

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

I agree that the battery supply to the MicroRendu superior to my ears (like some of you), superior to even my JS2.

Qnap NAS (LPS) >UA ETHER REGEN (BG7TBL Master Clock) > Grimm MU1 > Mola Mola Tambaqui /Meridian 808.3> Wavac EC300B >Tannoy Canterbury SE

HP Rig ++ >Woo WES/ > Stax SR-009, Audeze LCD2

I agree that the battery supply to the MicroRendu superior to my ears (like some of you), superior to even my JS2.

What battery supply are you using?

Speaker Room: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Pacific 2 | Viva Linea | Constellation Inspiration Stereo 1.0 | FinkTeam Kim | dual Rythmik E15HP subs  

Office Headphone System: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Golden Gate 3 | Viva Egoista | Abyss AB1266 Phi TC 

Surprisingly, I just returned the battery pack that I bought from Amazon. It was the IntoCircuit 32000mah, exactly same as in post #102. While it did improve a lot over the iFI but it lost dynamics. I am now using a cheap lps now and find it better than the battery. Possible its system dependent...

Surprisingly, I just returned the battery pack that I bought from Amazon. It was the IntoCircuit 32000mah, exactly same as in post #102. While it did improve a lot over the iFI but it lost dynamics. I am now using a cheap lps now and find it better than the battery. Possible its system dependent...

I built a couple of capacitor buffered Li-on battery packs early on to use with the Regen. Tried one with the mRendu and found it "soft" sounding compared with iFi and LPSUs. "Undynamic" may be a synonym.

I built a couple of capacitor buffered Li-on battery packs early on to use with the Regen. Tried one with the mRendu and found it "soft" sounding compared with iFi and LPSUs. "Undynamic" may be a synonym.

My Anker Astro Li-ion battery also seems a bit soft dynamically, not a giant difference, but discernible nonetheless.

I don't hear that same thing from my newer DIY Ni-MH battery pack, probably because it is just the bare minimum batteries wired in series with no regulator board, no controller board, no display... so nothing there that can potentially cause parasitic loss.

Or, perhaps there is something inherently different about the way the chemistry in the Ni-MH batteries delivers the power as compared to Li-ion, or at least as compared to the one suitable Li-ion battery I have for direct comparison in powering the mRendu.

The Eneloop Pro Ni-MH batteries do claim ultra low internal resistance, so perhaps that also has something to do with the results I'm getting.

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

I'm thinking you're right, it probably is system dependent.

I hear plenty of dynamic swing using the battery pack; what I thankfully don't hear is a little edge I had been hearing with the variable linear power supply I used previously (and that I had been using to power a REGEN prior to getting the microRendu). The edge was just enough to make some already edgy digital recordings unpleasant to listen to.

Interestingly, my experience with the iFi power supplies has been similar to yours. I tried two iFis to replace the cheap SMPS wall-warts furnished with the TP-Link MC210CS copper/fiber optic converters I use on the optical Ethernet run into the listening room. I thought the much less expensive Jameco regulated linear wall-warts actually sounded better -- less of the same edginess I experience from noise injected back into the electric service from SMPS and computer equipment

Steve

My Anker Astro Li-ion battery also seems a bit soft dynamically, not a giant difference, but discernible nonetheless.

I don't hear that same thing from my newer DIY Ni-MH battery pack, probably because it is just the bare minimum batteries wired in series with no regulator board, no controller board, no display... so nothing there that can potentially cause parasitic loss.

Or, perhaps there is something inherently different about the way the chemistry in the Ni-MH batteries delivers the power as compared to Li-ion, or at least as compared to the one suitable Li-ion battery I have for direct comparison in powering the mRendu.

The Eneloop Pro Ni-MH batteries do claim ultra low internal resistance, so perhaps that also has something to do with the results I'm getting.

What Astro model do you have? Is it just a 5V out? If so I do not recommend using 5V with the microRendu. There are 5V regulators inside which will go out of regulation when fed by 5V.

Also all the ones I could find have not terribly good switching regulators feeding the output, these will NOT be good for feeding the microRendu. Their outputs are VERY different than having the battery directly connected to the output.

John S.

As an addendum to my previous post, I am hoping when the LPS-1 becomes available it, in combination with a good battery supply, results in the best of both worlds -- high instantaneous current delivery without any power-line noise.

Steve

What Astro model do you have? Is it just a 5V out? If so I do not recommend using 5V with the microRendu. There are 5V regulators inside which will go out of regulation when fed by 5V.

Also all the ones I could find have not terribly good switching regulators feeding the output, these will NOT be good for feeding the microRendu. Their outputs are VERY different than having the battery directly connected to the output.

John S.

I have an Astro3 10,000 mAh unit bought way back in July 2012, it does have a DC output switchable between 9 and 12 volts.

Anker no longer sells that version, although the identical battery is still sold to this day under the XTPower brand on Amazon.

I originally bought the Astro3 to power a DSPeaker room correction unit at 12 volts until such time as I got a 12 volt LPS to replace it.

Since then it hasn't really been used for hifi purposes. Now I just use it to recharge my phone and iPad on the road, although I did try it at 9 volts with the microRendu and didn't love the sound. That prompted my purchase of the Eneloop Ni-MH pack which is really much better sounding, likely as you said due to the Astro3 having a very cheap lousy regulator, as well as high internal resistance.

These cheap Chinese made Li-ion batteries definitely scare me, I worry about my house burning down!

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

What battery supply are you using?

I am using a Flame 1500mAh 9.9V LiFePO4 battery.

Dev,

I do agree it is system dependent. My DAC is spruced up to a great extent. The battery's greatest contribution is that the background noise floor is even more resolved, lowered, allowing a more natural presentation. Almost no digital artefact now.

Qnap NAS (LPS) >UA ETHER REGEN (BG7TBL Master Clock) > Grimm MU1 > Mola Mola Tambaqui /Meridian 808.3> Wavac EC300B >Tannoy Canterbury SE

HP Rig ++ >Woo WES/ > Stax SR-009, Audeze LCD2

I am using a Flame 1500mAh 9.9V LiFePO4 battery.

Dev,

I do agree it is system dependent. My DAC is spruced up to a great extent. The battery's greatest contribution is that the background noise floor is even more resolved, lowered, allowing a more natural presentation. Almost no digital artefact now.

I don't know what kind of battery is supplied with these phone charging power packs but I am guessing its not a LiFePO4 battery. Maybe the LiFePO4 battery makes all the differences we are hearing.

John S.

The folks at DSPeaker said more or less the same thing, essentially the cheap noisy regulator found in the typical non-audio purposed battery is no better (and sometimes worse) than the SMPS they shipped their dual core room correction unit with in 2012.

It was their opinion that any improvement in sound quality when using their unit with such a battery was far and away more caused by a reduction in ground loop currents than anything else.

That said, they changed to shipping that room correction unit with a DC supply the very next year, ditching the previously included SMPS.

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

I found this earlier:

The microRendu by itself (DAC does not draw power from the bus) uses about 200mA at 7V. That comes out to 12.5 hours at the rated capacity. The current draw will increase slightly as the voltage goes down.

Anyone know what is the max power current draw on the microRendu? Thank you in advance.