IGNORED

Sonore microRendu

32 minutes ago, sahmen said:

places the 1.3 version of the microrendu a bit behind the times, 

You are aware that no one can actually buy a 1.4 mR? That's a limited deal, just for you. No writer or blogger is going to publish a comparison of an unavailable product. 

Wait, consumers are getting their micros upgraded to v.1.4, right, or (Jesus) did I misunderstand something here?

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

15 minutes ago, bnbayer said:

You are aware that no one can actually buy a 1.4 mR? That's a limited deal, just for you. No writer or blogger is going to publish a comparison of an unavailable product. 

That's the big thing for me. It may be neat, but if people can't just purchase it, review time is better spent elsewhere. 

P.S. I may have something interesting to post tomorrow. The name Rendu is involved, but not micro or ultra :~)

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

3 hours ago, vortecjr said:

FYI Ted B. has shown an interest in taking on the next review of the mciroRendu vs the ultraRendu.

I imagine companies like Sonore want a review to attract new customers who maybe read a bit about the microRendu but never bought one.  For them, the Darko review serves its purpose, and they will likely want the latest product.

Ted does excellent reviews.  I wish he did more of them.  I'm sure his review will be more comprehensive and useful to CA readers who are already somewhat familiar with the Rendu product line.

What I'd really like to see from @ted_b is a review of a Denafrips or Matrix Audio DAC with a comparison to the Holo Spring. 

@The Computer Audiophile, I'd also love to see a review of the Phasure NOS1a G3 from the perspective of someone unfamiliar with the evolution of Peter's work.  

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

2 hours ago, ted_b said:

I am at a loss to understand why you guys think using a LIO (or a Teradak or an Uptone or a Hynes or a Teddy Pardo or a etc etc) was somehow unfair?  The LIO is as different a psu from what you guys use as his room is different from yours, or his ears, etc.  However, he used the same power supply for both products, and showed that going from the microRendu to the ultraRendu took sq from 7/10 to 8/10.  Nothing else changed.  Isn't that a comparison worthy of the word "fair" or "complete"?  If only using your own brand of psu is what you are looking for, my review will not be terribly different (LPS-1, JS-2, Hynes are my choices), and likely looked at as unfair too??  Help me out here, I truly don't get it.  Thanks.

It is unfair.  Why?  Cuz it's the best ultracapacitor power supply out there!  That's fact and not BS.  The impedance is the lowest it can be based on the actual ultracapacitor that's being used.  The MINI is similar though due to cap size. :D 

W10 NUC i7 (Gen 10) > Roon (Audiolense FIR) > Motu UltraLite mk5 > (4) Hypex NCore NC502MP > JBL M2 Master Reference +4 subs

Watch my Podcast https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXMw_bZWBMtRWNJQfTJ38kA/videos

1 hour ago, barrows said:

sahmen:  Have you read about the technical differences between the microRendu and the Ultra?  The 1.4 micro just has the new clock, the Ultra, in addition, features no switching regulators and better board layout (for lower noise) because of the larger size of the board. 

I have heard both via the same power supply, there is no contest, the Ultra is a bit better, a significant bit (for audiophiles).  More very low level detail retrieval, a more palpable presentation, and better retrieval of ambience cues and low level decay trails.

Yes, I am with Sonore, so for sure take what I say with a grain of salt.  But I would say that John Darkos' comparison was spot on, he is clearly a good listener.  While the delta of the differences is a bit less with micro 1.4, the differences themselves are quite similar.

Lol...you may not know this, but, from the strict viewpoint of what I am trying to understand about the comparative sq performance of  the micro 1.4 as opposed to the ultra, you have ironically just provided me with at least one useful piece of information that I have not been able to get from anywhere else...  And yes, I have read at least John's description of the technical differences, as well as those that came with the initial announcement of the Ultrarendu, but there is no direct mention of the real world delta of sq differences between the Ultrarendu and the 1.4 either in those  descriptions or in Darko's review, which does not even mention the 1.4. In that sense, I find your description more "refreshing," even though your point about the "grain of salt" is also well taken. Thanks.

11 hours ago, ted_b said:

I am at a loss to understand why you guys think using a LIO (or a Teradak or an Uptone or a Hynes or a Teddy Pardo or a etc etc) was somehow unfair?  The LIO is as different a psu from what you guys use as his room is different from yours, or his ears, etc.  However, he used the same power supply for both products, and showed that going from the microRendu to the ultraRendu took sq from 7/10 to 8/10.  Nothing else changed.  Isn't that a comparison worthy of the word "fair" or "complete"?  If only using your own brand of psu is what you are looking for, my review will not be terribly different (LPS-1, JS-2, Hynes are my choices), and likely looked at as unfair too??  Help me out here, I truly don't get it.  Thanks.

I was thrilled that he used the LIO's power supply. That combination should really get more press IMO. I'm a big fan of Vinnies work going back to the CAPS days and he has been involved with the Rendu series since day one.   

9 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

That's the big thing for me. It may be neat, but if people can't just purchase it, review time is better spent elsewhere. 

P.S. I may have something interesting to post tomorrow. The name Rendu is involved, but not micro or ultra :~)

Sweet!

3 hours ago, R1200CL said:

Have you heard HW 1.4 with the ISO regen? 

Are there any change is the sound at all ?

Nope.  Nothing against the work of Uptone, but I am one who believes in the KISS principle as much as possible.  As the Rendu series is specifically designed to have the best possible USB output (per John Swenson) I will not use add on devices.  I just use the best possible USB cable, and keep it at that.  In fact, I am currently looking for better USB cables, any cables I may try folks?

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

17 minutes ago, barrows said:

In fact, I am currently looking for better USB cables, any cables I may try folks?

How about the Uptone Audio USPCB A>B adapter?

In my system between the microRendu and DAC, the above sounds better than either a .3M Wireworld Starlight 7, or a .7M Chord Co. SilverPlus USB cable.

The DAC currently in use is bus powered, so I can't try the little DIP switch on the adapter that defeats the 5v VBUS.

The USPCB might adhere to the KISS principal you alluded to in a "the best cable is no cable" sense?

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

Boycott Warner Music Group

39 minutes ago, MikeyFresh said:

How about the Uptone Audio USPCB A>B adapter?

In my system between the microRendu and DAC, the above sounds better than either a .3M Wireworld Starlight 7, or a .7M Chord Co. SilverPlus USB cable.

The DAC currently in use is bus powered, so I can't try the little DIP switch on the adapter that defeats the 5v VBUS.

The USPCB might adhere to the KISS principal you alluded to in a "the best cable is no cable" sense?

I specifically need an actual cable, .7-1 meter.  Why will become quite clear momentarily.  I found with the microRendu a really good USB cable outperformed the short adapters.  Best result seemed to be with the "Curious" very short cable.  I probably need to try a Curious .8 M. 

SONORE computer audio

17 minutes ago, barrows said:

I found with the microRendu a really good USB cable outperformed the short adapters.

Understand you need a cable rather than an adapter, but just wanted to mention:

I found the same as you earlier on (preferred cable to adapters), but none of the adapters was the USPCB.  I think UpTone put some thought into the design.  I prefer the USPCB to my longtime favorite, the Mapleshade Clearlink Plus.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Understood, and good to know.  Thanks Jud!  I may experiment with some DIY USB cable attempts as well.  I am thinking unshielded data lines may have some advantages (less capacitance more "speed")-somewhat similar to Mapleshade.

SONORE computer audio

3 hours ago, vortecjr said:

We are actually calling it an update and I'll leave it up to the customer to decides if it's an upgrade:)

Really? And how about this statement below?  Wait, I realize "update" is normally the word that is used in most of the official pronouncements about the 1.4, and that the word "upgrade,"  used in the statement below, might have slipped into your language when you were off your guard...  But really! Why all this effort to remain vague and noncommittal as to whether this "update" also constitutes and "upgrade"?

I have no ready answer for that, but I think you, sir, must probably run for office:)!

On 6/17/2017 at 8:05 AM, vortecjr said:

The world will never know because we are changing no more and no less than one part on this upgrade. I know what you want though. You want a whole separate board with a bunch of parts, connectors and jumper wires that uses more power. Sorry, but that in not what we are about. 

24 minutes ago, barrows said:

I specifically need an actual cable, .7-1 meter.  Why will become quite clear momentarily.  I found with the microRendu a really good USB cable outperformed the short adapters.  Best result seemed to be with the "Curious" very short cable.  I probably need to try a Curious .8 M. 

I use a Y.F.S. (Your Final System) USB cable that, in my system, sounded better than Jud's longtime favorite Mapleshade.  I've used both 1m and "REGEN link" length with and without 5V.  Very similar to the Curious link I have.  Solid engineering, quality handmade construction and quick turn around.  Can be a little stiff.  I've used them with both my McIntosh D150 and Lampi Golden Atlantic DACs and it doesn't seem to impart much, if any, sound of its own.  Comparably priced to the Mapleshade Plus, which is much less than Curious.  

On 7/16/2017 at 7:29 AM, vortecjr said:

The microRendu units that snuck in on Friday and Saturday for the 1.4 hardware update are done and will ship back on Monday. 

Sonore received my microRendu at 5 PM on Friday.  At 5 PM today (Tuesday) I had it back.  You can't get any better service than that!  Thank you, Jesus!

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

16 minutes ago, rickca said:

Sonore received my microRendu at 5 PM on Friday.  At 5 PM today (Tuesday) I had it back.  You can't get any better service than that!  Thank you, Jesus!

That was fast... If I may ask, how far is your zip code from DORAL, FL 33178?

Just now, sahmen said:

That was fast... If I may ask, how far is your zip code from DORAL, FL 33178?

I'm only about 50 miles away from Sonore, so I got next day delivery.  The point remains that Sonore got my microRendu on Friday at 5 PM and shipped it back on Monday.