IGNORED

Sonore microRendu

I have a sample question :

Can this device work only with the below setup for playing back songs ?

NAS - Network Switch - Microrendu - DAC ( controlled by ipad )

I am keen not to have a PC in the playback chain. I connect to my NAS only when I want to add music.

You need to have a DHCP server in there somewhere. If your network has a router connected, then it will have the DHCP server. You specifically say a network switch rather than a router so it may be an issue. Some switches can be a DHCP server, and some NAS's can be a DHCP server.

In addition if you don't have an internet connection in your network you can't use sonicorbiter.com to find the address of your microRendu in order to do setup tasks.

John S.

I have a sample question :

Can this device work only with the below setup for playing back songs ?

NAS - Network Switch - Microrendu - DAC ( controlled by ipad )

I am keen not to have a PC in the playback chain. I connect to my NAS only when I want to add music.

I do this regularly, use mconnect on my iPad works great, synology 412+/minimserver, AirPort Extreme.

rogerdn

Does Synology not support JRiver!

no, it does not. jriver created a version for qnap nas, but don't seem to have any intention of doing so for synology.

(1) holo audio red (hqp naa) > chord dave > luxman cl-38uc/mq-88uc > kef reference 1
(2) simaudio moon mind 2 > chord qutest > luxman sq-n150 > monitor audio gold gx100
Roon's requirements (Intel CPu, 4Gb of RAM, SSD for the Roon index) disqualify most home Synology devices.

I haven't looked into it in depth, but you can upgrade the RAM on some Synology NASs. Also, my understanding is that there is a procedure to use the SSD for the database.

Guys, if you're using Roon with the microRendu, please ensure you have volume levelling DISABLED. My audio server ssd failed and when I switched Roon to another pc I initially didn't notice that volume levelling was enabled. For a while it kept me wondering why the sound wasn't nearly as good. I really don't see why Roon has this enabled by default.

It might also be worth it to look at normalization and crossfade.

I haven't looked into it in depth, but you can upgrade the RAM on some Synology NASs. Also, my understanding is that there is a procedure to use the SSD for the database.

Only on some. I've done both on mine. Works great.

W10 NUC i7 (Gen 10) > Roon (Audiolense FIR) > Motu UltraLite mk5 > (4) Hypex NCore NC502MP > JBL M2 Master Reference +4 subs

Watch my Podcast https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXMw_bZWBMtRWNJQfTJ38kA/videos

I bought a voltage meter and, if I am doing this properly, the if Ifi I-power tests at 5.8 volts. Less than the 9v listed on the psu. Could this be correct? I am unplugging unit when not in use since I think it runs too hot still

Sounds like you got the 5V version and not the 9V version.

W10 NUC i7 (Gen 10) > Roon (Audiolense FIR) > Motu UltraLite mk5 > (4) Hypex NCore NC502MP > JBL M2 Master Reference +4 subs

Watch my Podcast https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXMw_bZWBMtRWNJQfTJ38kA/videos

Question for John Swenson. I posted this regarding the EMO Systems EN-70H. I have one before my modem for surge protection of the devices. However, I decided to purchase another to try before the µRendu. I'm quite surprised by what I *think* is a subjective improvement. I'd be curious to know your thoughts on this.

Audio Applications are here.

[ATTACH]27372[/ATTACH]

sales (at) emosystems (dot) com

Thank you for the pointer and discount code, those look like a good way of protecting my home network from the vagaries of the old external cable wiring in my neighborhood.

Thank you for the pointer and discount code, those look like a good way of protecting my home network from the vagaries of the old external cable wiring in my neighborhood.

You're welcome! That's why I got my first one initially. To protect the network; mainly the NAS. However, after getting the µRendu and reading through the data sheet again I got curious enough to contact EMO again and inquire.

My unit arrived today.

I had been planning on connecting it directly to my Mac Mini, from which I run HQ Player, but discovered that does not work. (This is the second time the Internet has steered me wrong - the first was in 1996 when I got an anonymous tip that smoking is good for you.)

So, on the way to taking the family to a local municipal 4th Of July festival, I stopped at Best Buy and picked up a Wifi extended to connect the Rendu to.

Within minutes of getting home I was up & running, using, as before, HQ Player to output DSD64 & 128 directly and convert PCM to DSD128 for my Lampizator Lite 7 DSD DAC.

Before I go on, I'll mention the main reason I bought it: I learned a few months ago that my Mac Mini is not capable of delivering sound quality anywhere near the level of a purpose-built audio PC running tweaked Windows 10. My Mini is a 2016 model with 16 Gb RAM, SSD, and two cores, with the system tweaked per the Mojo instructions. Compared to a Phasure PC (also running HQ) it just sounded like mud, across several different DACs. Every parameter of sound quality was seriously inferior, to put it simply.

So, I knew that if I were serious about computer audio I needed something else, but didn't really feel like putting together or buying an audio PC.

(Note: One major difference between the two machines in the little shootout I did was that the PC had no on-board Wifi, while the Mac does. For all I know, that could account for all the difference. But I could not turn the Mac's Wifi off as that's how I control it. So I'm not saying this was any kind of scientific or serious Mac vs. PC or Windows vs. OS X test - far from it. My point is just that I learned that a "stock" Mini, with a Schiit Wyrd in the mix also, does not cut it. Not when you want your digital to compete with a $25K vinyl setup anyway.)

So - in short, with the standard switching power supply, the improvement the mR brought over the bare Mini is roughly "100%". Every parameter is improved in a major way - before it, things sounded homogenized and flat, while now there is much better instrument separation, micro dynamics, and even truer tone. In audiophile terms this is a night & day difference, something that doesn't require any sort of A/B testing to discern.

The improvement in the treble is especially pronounced. I'm not great with analogies, but, before the mR, we might liken PCM treble (native DSD was & is still better) to a large pile of hog waste, while with the mR it is more akin to Scarlett Johansson's breasts.

For the asking price this thing is an absolute no-brainer. I can't say that a full-on, dedicated music server with the best hardware (in the $4-5K range) would not beat it, but I'm pretty confident in saying this device can turn virtually any computer into something that delivers state-of-the-art digital sound quality, at least comparable to the best dedicated servers.

No wonder they can't make them fast enough.

(Now, what's the best linear power supply for this thing...?)

I don't know about "best," but one of these helped my SOtM sMS-100, and I've been using it with my microRendu. The combo gives a noticeable quality improvement over the sMS-100 (even this was combined with a USB>S/PDIF galvanic isolator/reclocker). (All PCM from a Synology NAS).

My unit arrived today.

I had been planning on connecting it directly to my Mac Mini, from which I run HQ Player, but discovered that does not work. (This is the second time the Internet has steered me wrong - the first was in 1996 when I got an anonymous tip that smoking is good for you.)

So, on the way to taking the family to a local municipal 4th Of July festival, I stopped at Best Buy and picked up a Wifi extended to connect the Rendu to.

Within minutes of getting home I was up & running, using, as before, HQ Player to output DSD64 & 128 directly and convert PCM to DSD128 for my Lampizator Lite 7 DSD DAC.

Before I go on, I'll mention the main reason I bought it: I learned a few months ago that my Mac Mini is not capable of delivering sound quality anywhere near the level of a purpose-built audio PC running tweaked Windows 10. My Mini is a 2016 model with 16 Gb RAM, SSD, and two cores, with the system tweaked per the Mojo instructions. Compared to a Phasure PC (also running HQ) it just sounded like mud, across several different DACs. Every parameter of sound quality was seriously inferior, to put it simply.

So, I knew that if I were serious about computer audio I needed something else, but didn't really feel like putting together or buying an audio PC.

(Note: One major difference between the two machines in the little shootout I did was that the PC had no on-board Wifi, while the Mac does. For all I know, that could account for all the difference. But I could not turn the Mac's Wifi off as that's how I control it. So I'm not saying this was any kind of scientific or serious Mac vs. PC or Windows vs. OS X test - far from it. My point is just that I learned that a "stock" Mini, with a Schiit Wyrd in the mix also, does not cut it. Not when you want your digital to compete with a $25K vinyl setup anyway.)

So - in short, with the standard switching power supply, the improvement the mR brought over the bare Mini is roughly "100%". Every parameter is improved in a major way - before it, things sounded homogenized and flat, while now there is much better instrument separation, micro dynamics, and even truer tone. In audiophile terms this is a night & day difference, something that doesn't require any sort of A/B testing to discern.

The improvement in the treble is especially pronounced. I'm not great with analogies, but, before the mR, we might liken PCM treble (native DSD was & is still better) to a large pile of hog waste, while with the mR it is more akin to Scarlett Johansson's breasts.

For the asking price this thing is an absolute no-brainer. I can't say that a full-on, dedicated music server with the best hardware (in the $4-5K range) would not beat it, but I'm pretty confident in saying this device can turn virtually any computer into something that delivers state-of-the-art digital sound quality, at least comparable to the best dedicated servers.

No wonder they can't make them fast enough.

I understand what you experienced, against a stock or light moded PC It is night and day, I've been there and heard it.

You're welcome! That's why I got my first one initially. To protect the network; mainly the NAS. However, after getting the µRendu and reading through the data sheet again I got curious enough to contact EMO again and inquire.

Sorry for being silly, but where is the discount code? i'd like to give one a try.

customer server+AudiophileOptimizer >>UltraRendu (SR4) >> Lush(JSSG360) >>> IsoRegen(SR4) >>> Lush^2 >>> blu2 >>Blaxius^2D >> Dave > HD800(SDRmod)

So you are using two of them at 2 different points or just one?

Do you hear a difference with it installed, or is it just a matter of protection?

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

Anyone using an Intona with their rendu?

I took mine out of the chain when the rendu arrived, and connected with a curious link (hard adapter doesn't fit). This was because I thought the rendu was meant to give the best USB output possible.

Dont get me wrong I've been really happy with it, but after a busy month or so I thought 'what the hell, it's just sitting there I'll plug the Intona back in'. To my ears, it sounds quite a bit better with it. Sort of pleased, surprised and dissapointed in equal measure.

Pleased because it sounds better, surprised because I thought it was meant to be rendered unnecessary, and dissapointed because I was hoping to simplify the chain and sell the Intona.

Connected hard adapter to the Intona, and Regen link from there as before. I use the ifi.

Roon lifetime > Mac Mini > ethernet > microRendu (RAAT) w/ Paul Hynes SR3 > Intona > Curious USB link > Devialet 250 Pro > PMC fact 8.

Me too.

Hi it was in a link in the original posters update.

Copied here for you both. Would be fascinated to know what I you hear with it

Simon

If you have a need you can go to this site and when in the cart just add en70-hd-audio to the coupon code section.