IGNORED

New Year: My Best Advice In Regards To Audio is...

I would recommend more people to consider stand mount speakers.

Specially if you have a smaller listening room.

Floor standing speakers have issues when it comes to clean bass delivery.

Bad/poor bass can eat into your mids and muddy the sound a bit.

Setup a stand mount speaker well and you might be surprised by the results.

Modern small cone speakers can sound excellent - it's amazing, really. I've never been a fan of cone speakers, but a pair of small, stand-mounted speakers can provide surprising amounts of bass and they usually image very well with a very precise, wide and deep soundstage presentation.

Add a pair of powered subs and you can have a system that rivals (and in some ways even surpass) larger systems. Of course, it goes without saying, that this approach works best in smallish rooms.

George

I have to say I found this post hugely entertaining. Bill, you should compile your "best-of" curmudgeonly posts, and publish a book (or at least an e-book).

I'd like to say more, but I have to get back to my comparison of the SQ of different eSATA cables.

--David

Thanks!

I'll be here all week.

Don't forget to put a tip in the jar for Chris.

Try not to make more than 1 (equipment, mains, positioning, treatment, etc) change/upgrade at a time, otherwise you can open up a minefield if the outcome isn't as desired.

I've stitched myself up this way more times than I wish to remember.

;-)

Source:

*Aurender N100 (no internal disk : LAN optically isolated via FMC with *LPS) > DIY 5cm USB link (5v rail removed / ground lift switch - split for *LPS) > Intona Industrial (injected *LPS / internally shielded with copper tape) > DIY 5cm USB link (5v rail removed / ground lift switch) > W4S Recovery (*LPS) > DIY 2cm USB adaptor (5v rail removed / ground lift switch) > *Auralic VEGA (EXACT : balanced)

Control:

*Jeff Rowland CAPRI S2 (balanced)

Playback:

2 x Revel B15a subs (balanced) > ATC SCM 50 ASL (balanced - 80Hz HPF from subs)

Misc:

*Via Power Inspired AG1500 AC Regenerator

LPS: 3 x Swagman Lab Audiophile Signature Edition (W4S, Intona & FMC)

Storage: QNAP TS-253Pro 2x 3Tb, 8Gb RAM

Cables: DIY heavy gauge solid silver (balanced)

Mains: dedicated distribution board with 5 x 2 socket ring mains, all mains cables: Mark Grant Black Series DSP 2.5 Dual Screen

Prudent.

Try not to make more than 1 (equipment, mains, positioning, treatment, etc) change/upgrade at a time, otherwise you can open up a minefield if the outcome isn't as desired.

;-)

Forrest:

Win10 i9 9900KS/GTX1060 HQPlayer4>Win10 NAA

DSD>Pavel's DSC2.6>Bent Audio TAP>

Parasound JC1>"Naked" Quad ESL63/Tannoy PS350B subs<100Hz

;-)

Excellent advice - I can not count the number of times plans that invoice multiple pieces of equipment have not gone exactly as planned... :)

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

;-)

Or, conversely, if you feel your mental state at the moment is too stable, go for it! :o

JC

Hhahaha.. i was laughing in this comment why is snake oil in this topic.

If I understand you correctly, you are asking why is snake oil mentioned in this thread? The answer is that a lot of audiophiles actually believe that "snake oil" makes their system sound better and a lot of it is expensive, hence the caveat to avoid spending money on it. :)

* audio snake oil is defined as additions to one's systems with dubious scientific or engineering provenance. Examples, ostensibly include: Green ink pens for CDs, cryogenically treated digital clocks plugged into the same outlet as your stereo system, Myrtlewood blocks placed on top of components to make then "sound better", speaker cable lifts, free-form wooden music-stand-like "mobiles" scattered around the room to "break-up standing waves", and, arguably, $10,000/meter interconnects between components. Just keep in mind that one person's "snake-oil" can be another person's "sonic breakthrough".

George

* audio snake oil is defined as additions to one's systems with dubious scientific or engineering provenance. Examples, ostensibly include: Green ink pens for CDs, cryogenically treated digital clocks plugged into the same outlet as your stereo system, Myrtlewood blocks placed on top of components to make then "sound better", speaker cable lifts, free-form wooden music-stand-like "mobiles" scattered around the room to "break-up standing waves", and, arguably, $10,000/meter interconnects between components. Just keep in mind that one person's "snake-oil" can be another person's "sonic breakthrough".

My current favorite is, well, I am not sure what to call these without using language unbecoming a gentlemen:

Brilliant Pebbles Advanced Audio Video Tweak

Hey MQA, if it is not all $voodoo$, show us the math!

My current favorite is, well, I am not sure what to call these without using language unbecoming a gentlemen:

You know, I've got to give the person who came-up with this one credit. He is selling stream-polished pebbles, something that costs him, ostensibly, nothing, for from $39 to $160 (depending on size) and such is the disease "audiophilia nervosa" that many people will buy into this and swear that these pebbles have made all the difference in the sound of their system! Why, just imagine what a concert hall full of these pebbles would do for the sound of a full symphony orchestra! I wish I'd thought of it.

mikro-pebbles.jpg

There's no doubt that this will work! This solution will probably make a bigger improvement than purchasing a new mega-buck amplifier! The way it works is that by Scotch-taping the pebbles to the interconnects, the pebbles realign and control the flow of electrons through the wire in the same way that these same pebbles control the flow of water in the stream bed from which they came. A very sound scientific principle!

George

You know, I've got to give the person who came-up with this one credit...Why, just imagine what a concert hall full of these pebbles would do for the sound of a full symphony orchestra! I wish I'd thought of it....The way it works is that by Scotch-taping the pebbles to the interconnects, the pebbles realign and control the flow of electrons through the wire in the same way that these same pebbles control the flow of water in the stream bed from which they came...

I also have to hand it to him, one has to admire the audacity. I want to attend that concert, however I would be slightly anxious if I also did not Scotch-tape said pebbles all over my body (and I do mean all of it ;) ) in addition to whatever the hall was doing.

Also, what effect does using different kinds of tape have? Does "military grade" tape from the old Soviet empire improve things over, say cheap tape from Indonesia?

Hey MQA, if it is not all $voodoo$, show us the math!

calibrate your ears, by spending at least half of your "audio" related spending in live concerts...

Must be concerts where the sound is great, otherwise...

Dedicated Line DSD/DXD | Audirvana+ | iFi iDSD Nano | SET Tube Amp | Totem Mites

Surround: VLC | M-Audio FastTrack Pro | Mac Opt | Panasonic SA-HE100 | Logitech Z623

DIY: SET Tube Amp | Low-Noise Linear Regulated Power Supply | USB, Power, Speaker Cables | Speaker Stands | Acoustic Panels

I also have to hand it to him, one has to admire the audacity. I want to attend that concert, however I would be slightly anxious if I also did not Scotch-tape said pebbles all over my body (and I do mean all of it ;) ) in addition to whatever the hall was doing.

Also, what effect does using different kinds of tape have? Does "military grade" tape from the old Soviet empire improve things over, say cheap tape from Indonesia?

Yeah, I wondered that too. It looks like Scotch brand, as the tape looks somewhat "frosty", and I think that only Scotch brand has that characteristic. BTW, be careful when removing the tape from certain portions of the male anatomy, it can really hurt! :)

George

Interesting that the seller uses a snake as his profile picture on Facebook:

https://www.facebook.com/geoff.kait

Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby
Edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley
Through the middle of my skull

You know, I've got to give the person who came-up with this one credit. He is selling stream-polished pebbles, something that costs him, ostensibly, nothing, for from $39 to $160 (depending on size) and such is the disease "audiophilia nervosa" that many people will buy into this and swear that these pebbles have made all the difference in the sound of their system! Why, just imagine what a concert hall full of these pebbles would do for the sound of a full symphony orchestra! I wish I'd thought of it.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]23692[/ATTACH]

There's no doubt that this will work! This solution will probably make a bigger improvement than purchasing a new mega-buck amplifier! The way it works is that by Scotch-taping the pebbles to the interconnects, the pebbles realign and control the flow of electrons through the wire in the same way that these same pebbles control the flow of water in the stream bed from which they came. A very sound scientific principle!

Does it have to be scotch tape? What about masking tape? Maybe sellotape would sound better?

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

First hand experience?

Yeah, I wondered that too. It looks like Scotch brand, as the tape looks somewhat "frosty", and I think that only Scotch brand has that characteristic. BTW, be careful when removing the tape from certain portions of the male anatomy, it can really hurt! :)

Forrest:

Win10 i9 9900KS/GTX1060 HQPlayer4>Win10 NAA

DSD>Pavel's DSC2.6>Bent Audio TAP>

Parasound JC1>"Naked" Quad ESL63/Tannoy PS350B subs<100Hz

Does it have to be scotch tape? What about masking tape? Maybe sellotape would sound better?

I would personally attach the pebbles individually with audiophile grade Bluetak

System (i): Stack Audio Link > Denafrips Iris 12th/Ares 12th-1; Gyrodec/SME V/Hana SL/EAT E-Glo Petit/Magnum Dynalab FT101A) > PrimaLuna Evo 100 amp > Klipsch RP-600M/REL T5x subs

System (ii): Allo USB Signature > Bel Canto uLink+AQVOX psu > Chord Hugo > APPJ EL34 > Tandy LX5/REL Tzero v3 subs

System (iii) KEF LS50W/KEF R400b subs

System (iv) Technics 1210GR > Leak 230 > Tannoy Cheviot

What your missing is that these pebbles come from a spring hidden in a remote part of the world, this is the stream that unicorns drink from. Once harvested and dried, the pebbles are then blessed by the local shaman. It's a complicated expensive process. I've also heard that it you put some of these pebbles in your gas tank you will get better gas mileage while experiencing more power.

Not quite the genius of the Pet Rock, but not far from it. :D

Analog: Koetsu Rosewood > VPI Aries 3 w/SDS > EAR 834P > EAR 834L: Audiodesk cleaner

Digital Fun: DAS > CAPS v3 w/LPS (JRMC) SOtM USB > Lynx Hilo > EAR 834L

Digital Serious: DAS > CAPS v3 w/LPS (HQPlayer) Ethernet > SMS-100 NAA > Lampi DSD L4 G5 > EAR 834L

Digital Disc: Oppo BDP 95 > EAR 834L

Output: EAR 834L > Xilica XP4080 DSP > Odessey Stratos Mono Extreme > Legacy Aeris

Phones: EAR 834L > Little Dot Mk ii > Senheiser HD 800